IMDb > Out-Foxed (1949) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Out-Foxed More at IMDbPro »

I Say, "Pip, Pip!"

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
16 June 2007

"Pip, pip" are the last words in this funny Droopy cartoon. Most often in these little dog- makes-good cartoons, it's his foe that provokes most of the laughter, either the wolf or the big dog Spike. Here, it's a fox. Don't get me wrong: Droopy is always good for a few laughs with his "aside" comments to us, the audience.

Here he is one of about 10 dogs off to chase the fox, the winner getting a big juicy steak. While the other dogs race off, Droopy just slowly meanders by and tells us "You know what? Haste makes waste."

Soon after we come to the home of Reginald Fox. He lives in a tree and is inside reading "Fox News," drinking tea and wearing a monocle. He's very British and feels he's one smart cookie. "I am smart as a fox, you know," he tells us. He, too, likes to give the audience "asides."

This is one of few Droopy cartoons in which our main guy even looks stupid, but since the other dogs are dumber, Droopy escapes some bad situations through their stupidity. The fox is just too smart for anyone.

The best drawing was that of the kennel master. Talk about a stereotype of the old British men!

The ending of this is almost guaranteed to make you laugh out loud.

One of Tex Avery's better Droopy shorts

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
19 February 2002

This is one of Tex Avery's Droopy cartoons and it is excellent. Droopy is okay, but the show is stolen by a fox with a very mannered nature, Ronald Colman sounding voice and speech pattern and entirely too clever for a bunch of incredibly over-matched hunting dogs! Given that my sympathies in such matters as hunts, bullfights and other "sports" which require needlessly killing something as the goal are with the stalked rather than the stalker, I rather like this short and consider the fox to be the lead character here, which I gather Tex Avery intended. Sight gags aplenty here, but much of what the fox says is rather dryly humourous as well. Sadly, this is not in print at present, but it's well worth seeking out. "I do this sort of thing all through the picture." has got to be one of Avery's favorite lines! Most recommended.