IMDb > Dunked in the Deep (1949) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dunked in the Deep More at IMDbPro »

The Boys Just Sang For The 'Halibut'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
14 May 2010

This was unusual in that there was only one other actor in this movie besides the Stooges.

Actor Gene Roth wasn't a name I recognized but I sure remembered his voice as a guy who had played villains more than once in Three Stooges films. He was a big guy with a gruff voice, like Vernon Dent who starred in many Stooges films. When posting this review, I looked up Roth's resume and it's amazing; the man did a lot of work with many guest shots on very popular TV shows in the 1950s and 1960s.

Anyway, here we have the old microfilm-hidden-in-the-watermelon angle, something I've seen before in some previous Stooges war movies (or I've just seen this movie several times and didn't remember). Roth plays a Russian spy named "Mr. Bortch" who hid the film and uses the boys to carry the melons on board a ship. There, they wind up stowaways and all the gags are what happens in the small room they are in.

They pass the time getting seasick, banging either other on the head or making corny jokes like:

"We were known as 'The Fish Market Duet.' "

The'Fish Market Duet'?

"Yeah, we sang for the halibut!"

Anyway, the real action starts when the boys figure out their friend is not whom they think he is....and the fight is on!

Underrated? No. Hysterical? Yes!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
25 November 2010

The last Three Stooges short film of 1949, and indeed the last Three Stooges short film of the 1940's is hysterical! Dunked In The Deep is a great way for the Three Stooges to end their career of the 1940's! During the 1940's, they made so many hysterical shorts, such as A Plumbing We Will Go, They Stooge To Conga, and who could forget such Shemp classics like Brideless Groom and Sing A Song Of Six Pants, I know that I sure could not do that! Like a lot of Shemp shorts that I have seen in my life, I found this one very hysterical! I mean that it is one of their funniest shorts of 1949.

Is this an underrated Stooge short? No. Why am I asking such a question like that? Because Movie Nutball (who obviously likes every single movie out there) says that this is an underrated Three Stooges short. Well this is not one of their best, but I still think that it is worth a ten star rating. This is not one of my favorite Stooge shorts, and it is not one of the best shorts that I have ever seen them in, but I still think that it is hysterical.

Well anyway, you are probably going to like this a lot if you are a fan of the Three Stooges, because I think that it is something to laugh at! Not one of their best, but still it is hysterical! You will like it, I know that I did, and of course Movie Nutball. The latter seems to like everything out there, no matter how bad it may be.

"Give me that fillum!"

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
29 October 2007

Directed by Jules White, "Dunked in the Deep" is a mediocre Three Stooges film featuring Shemp Howard as the third Stooge. A sinister-looking foreign spy named Bortch (played by the tall & mighty Gene Roth) has stolen some top-secret U.S. government documents and plans to return to his native land with these documents on microfilm, hidden inside three watermelons. The Stooges are Bortch's neighbors, who are in quite a strange line of employment, and they offer to help Bortch carry his melons to the dock, not knowing that he is a spy. Of course, Larry, Shemp, and Moe have no idea what kind of a ride they are in for when they help Bortch.

The following are my favorite scenes from "Dunked in the Deep." When Bortch chases Shemp around the boat for the microfilm, Larry gets knocked out three times and calls it quits! Bortch is stingy about sharing his salami with the Stooges, but they manage to eat their fill anyway when Bortch repeatedly slaps the table and the salami slices fly into the mouths of the satisfied Stooges. And Larry & Shemp are known as the Fishmarket Duet; as Shemp explains, "We sing for the halibut."

The meaty role of Bortch was a suitable one for supporting actor Gene Roth, perhaps his best-known role in a Stooge film. Roth would go on to perform other milder roles, both as good guy and villain, in more Stooges films featuring Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Curly-Joe DeRita as the third Stooges. And here is one last piece of trivia for "Dunked in the Deep"; in addition to playing himself, Moe also provides the voice of the radio announcer at the start of this short.

Good Stooges short! Gene Roth is excellent in this one!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
15 June 2004

The Three Stooges has always been some of the many actors that I have loved. I love just about every one of the shorts that they have made. I love all six of the Stooges (Curly, Shemp, Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe)! All of the shorts are hilarious and also star many other great actors and actresses which a lot of them was in many of the shorts! In My opinion The Three Stooges is some of the greatest actors ever and is the all time funniest comedy team!

This is one of My favorite Three Stooges shorts! Gene Roth is excellent in it! The scenes with the Stooges especially with Shemp are really funny! The scene where Roth is chasing Shemp is hilarious! There is another Three Stooges short with alternate scenes called Commotion on the Ocean. This is really an underrated Stooges short!