IMDb > Pardon My Clutch (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pardon My Clutch More at IMDbPro »

Not Of The Boys' Best

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
13 January 2011

It's not often I find a Three Stooges short really awful, but this one qualifies.

Basically, much of it is just tormenting Shemp, stupid or mean-spirited stuff more than slapstick. The main guest actor, Matt McHugh as "Claude" was annoying, too, pretending to be a doctor which just added more sadism against poor Shemp.

The only intriguing part was near the end when they kept showing some guy peeping in back of bushes while the boys were packing this old 1930s car, and at the end we find out what he was about, giving the short at least a decent ending.

I'm hungry too!

Author: Dan Mudd from USA
29 June 2001

Pardon My Clutch (1948) stars Moe, Larry and Shemp. Shemp is sick and needs a vacation. So they buy a "Columbus" from their friend, Claude. What happens? You'll just have to see it yourself!

(Shemp faints) Moe: He's fainted! Get him a glass of water! Shemp: No, champagne.

Claude: It's a Columbus. Shemp: Never mind who you bought it from, what is it?

I love this stooge short. It is definitely one of my favorites! It's shown on American Movie Classics or you can buy it on Columbia Home Video.

"I can take care of Shemp better than any doctor."

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
7 October 2009

"Pardon My Clutch" is a mildly amusing Three Stooges short directed by Edward Bernds. Shemp needs plenty of rest and relaxation to quiet his nerves, so the Stooges' friend Claude (Matt McHugh) suggests a camping trip.

Highlights: Character actor Emil Sitka is wonderful at the end of this film portraying an escaped lunatic. Moe attaches a string from Shemp's bad tooth to a doorknob, but he winds up extracting the knob, after which Moe tosses it away and it smacks Claude in the face. The Stooges practice setting up a tent in their house, but they tie it off in some unwise places, and it collapses when a door opens. Shemp is required to "take two pills and skip an hour", but Larry and Moe misinterpret that to mean skipping a rope. More chaos is on the way as the Stooges attempt to replace a flat tire.

"Pardon My Clutch" is not a hilarious Stooge film, but it's still pretty good. I would probably give it a "B+".

Shemp is ailing again. What to do? Go camping!

Author: angus_dei (diannuc@uvi.edu) from St. Thomas, USVI
13 March 2007

This is not the most memorable of the Stooges' shorts, but it's still a Stooges' short, and therefore worthy of consideration (and certainly worth watching too). There are some lags, such as when the Stooges set up camp in their living room as a "dry run" for their impending camping trip. Of course, once again Shemp is ailing, so good old Cousin Claud is called onto the scene (the guy's a certified quack, but what the hell?, he works cheap). I have to wonder at the inordinate number of times Shemp had to play an ailing character in these shorts; could it be all the negative karma so generated that caused Shemp's early death in real life? If you believe in stuff like that, you most certainly would have to wonder. By the way, there is one good bit during the "living room camping" scene; it involves Larry shouting to Moe, "Foither! Foither!," and getting a crossbeam shoved into his face for his effort. Claud is annoying as hell, so when he gets stuck at the end of the film (with the Columbus), good feelings ensue. There's also the tiresome "You idiot, I meant skip taking the pills, not skip rope!" gag thrown in, but the service station scene (with the confusion over the ownership of a certain tire) more than makes up for it. The very best of the film occurs at the very end: first you have Shemp saying, "Wait, I'm hungry too!", and then you have Larry saying, "Well, what's wrong with that?". I'm telling you, those precious seconds at the very end are more than worth sitting through the first twenty minutes! And, all seriousness aside, those twenty minutes aren't really all that bad, really they're not! Watch this flick!

Good one!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
29 June 2005

The Three Stooges has always been some of the many actors that I have loved. I love just about every one of the shorts that they have made. I love all six of the Stooges (Curly, Shemp, Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe)! All of the shorts are hilarious and also star many other great actors and actresses which a lot of them was in many of the shorts! In My opinion The Three Stooges is some of the greatest actors ever and is the all time funniest comedy team!

One of My favorite Stooges shorts with Shemp none other than Parden My Clutch! All appearing in this short are Emil Sitka, Stanley Blystone, George Lloyd, Alyn Lockwood, Wanda Perry, Doris Revier! There are so many funny parts here. This is a very hilarious short. There is another similar Three Stooges short like this one called Wam Bam Slam and I recommend both!