IMDb > Haredevil Hare (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Haredevil Hare More at IMDbPro »

Earth to Bugs Bunny, Do You Read Us, Bugs?

Author: Rikichi from St. Louis, MO
24 February 2004

This is the first cartoon featuring Marvin the Martian and his sidekick, K-9. Marvin has become even more popular today than he was when Warner Bros. was making those fabulous shorts in the 40's and 50's., much like Taz (although why the adoration for that simple character is beyond my comprehension - but that is a comment for another section). Marvin is trying to blow up the Earth and of course Bugs tries to stop him, because everyone he knows is there. This is a great cartoon, not my favorite with the Martian, but a very good beginning for him. Of note is that Mel Blanc would change the voice for him in subsequent cartoons, and the later interpretation is an improvement, but the one he has in this one takes nothing away from it.

Bugs Meets Marvin The Martian

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 February 2007

"Scientists Set To Launch First Rocket To Moon," screams the newspaper headlines. "Heroic Rabbit Volunteers As First Passenger," reads another.

The next scene shows Bugs being literally dragged by a couple of big men, and yelling, "I don't want to go; I'm too young to fly! Stop. I've got a wife and kids. Millions of kids. Help! I don't want to be a hero. You ain't getting me in that flying cigar!" (So much for "heroic.")

When they load the rocket with carrots, Bugs quickly changes his mind....and off he goes! He crash-lands on Mars, is soon joined by Marvin the Martian (who isn't named that yet being this is is first time on screen) who attempts to blow up Earth). The Martian is joined by his "helper" K -9. Bugs, of course, tries to stop Earth from being destroyed.

This is very silly and designed strictly for tiny tots but still is interesting enough for adults to watch.

One giant leap for Rabbitkind!

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
23 October 2004

Bugs Bunny 'volunteers' somewhat reluctantly (kicking and screaming) to be the first earthling blasted into space. He perks up however when they fill the rocket to the brim with carrots.

After a bone-crushing spell of g-force he lands a little too roughly on the moon and decides to go for a little sight-seeing. On his journey he meets Marvin the Martian (who sounds a little bit different than usual) and his usual plans to blow up the earth for some insane reason.

As usual, hijinks and endless outsmarting follow, all to wonderful effect. It's in this type of anarchy and imagination that Bugs and the rest of the Looney Tunes prove how ingenious they really are.

Marvin the Martian

Author: boblipton from New York City
20 July 2002

The first and best of the Marvin the Martian cartoons. Although not quite the version he reached in later cartoons -- his voice is not quite as reedy and outer space does not look like it was designed by bad Bauhaus architects -- the joke are sharper in this one than they would be later. Dig the Chuck Jones tennis sneakers!

The first appearance by Marvin

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
1 June 2014

In "Haredevil Hare" Bugs Bunny is the less than willing first rabbit shot into space. However, he's tricked and soon is sent hurtling towards the moon. There he soon meets Marvin the Martian (he's not called Marvin and looks and sounds a bit different in this, his first appearance). Unfortunately, Marvin is intent on blowing up the Earth and it's up to Bugs to stop him. But Marvin has help in the form of a green space dog. Can Bugs save the day?

Like the rest of the Bugs cartoons of the era, this one has exquisite animation and is quite entertaining. While I have never adored the Marvin character as much as many, it is enjoyable and worth seeing.

"After all, it's his business if he wants to blow up the Earth."

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
27 June 2009

"Haredevil Hare" is a great Bugs Bunny cartoon directed by Charles M. "Chuck" Jones. Scientists volunteer Bugs to be a passenger on the first rocket to the moon, where he meets the chief expert of interplanetary destruction: Marvin Martian.

Here are my favorite sequences from "Haredevil Hare" (DO NOT read any further until after you have actually seen this cartoon). Bugs twitches humorously when he first lands on the moon. He tries to contact Earth on his walkie-talkie, but the only response he receives is a harmonizing commercial for Crumbly Crunchies; he then pulls a familiar word-switcheroo gag on Marvin Martian's dog to get him to hand over a stick of dynamite (or, as Marvin so humorously calls it, the Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator). As the rocket flies into frame, Bugs is hilarious as he screams in the window. I also love Carl Stalling's distorted musical accompaniment for Marvin's walk.

Marvin Martian's voice in "Haredevil Hare" is funny, but not quite the hilarious high-pitched nasal voice that would later become his trademark. He certainly looks mean enough with his expressive eyes masking his deep black mouthless face.

Millions of children...that's a rabbit, alright!

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
21 December 2006

In practically any classic Bugs Bunny short, you're guaranteed to laugh yourself silly. "Haredevil Hare" is no exception, as Bugs gets sent to the moon and has to stop Marvin the Martian - who was at this time anonymous - from blowing up the earth ("Everybody I know lives there!"). One thing that I noticed was that Marvin had a dog, whom he sent after Bugs. I wonder why that dog didn't appear in more cartoons; he had a neat conversation with Bugs here.

All in all, Bugs is his usual self here: perfect timing (notice how he walks away from Marvin after initially learning of Marvin's plan), mispronouncing words ("That's a nice-lookin' weepin' (weapon) ya got there."), and not going down without a fight. I definitely recommend it.

There's a nice earth out tonight. Ha!

Introducing Marvin

Author: movieman_kev from United States
24 November 2004

In this notable short we first see Marvin the Martian when Bugs Bunny lured by NASA with a cargo load of carrots, gets into a rocket ship destined for the moon. Once there it's up to Bugs to foil Marvin's mission to destroy Earth. This is yet another classic Looney Tunes short. Perhaps my judgment is shewed as I like the Marvin character and his alien-dog side-kick. However all the jokes worked for me, even if there were a few less of them than usual. I would definitely put this one up there with the best Bugs Bunny-based looney Tunes shorts. This cartoon is on Disk 3 of the "Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1" It also has an optional commentary

My Grade: A-

Introducing Marvin!!!

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
8 September 2003

Here we meet for the first time, that lovable mouthless Martian, Marvin, only back then, he was known as Commander X2. He also has a green eared dog named K9 who assists him. In this first of many attempts to "blow up the earth" with the "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulatoah", X2 is thwarted by heroic Bugs, who didn't want to go to the moon in the first place, but oh, aren't we glad he did???!!!

"I got a wife and kids -- millions of kids!"

Author: utgard14 from USA
21 August 2016

Classic Bugs Bunny cartoon from the team of Chuck Jones and Michael Maltese. This one is the first appearance of Marvin the Martian. Bugs is launched into space and becomes the first rabbit on the moon. Quickly following his historic accomplishment, another spaceship lands on the moon. Out steps Marvin the Martian and his dog K-9. Marvin intends to blow up Earth with a "Uranium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator" but Bugs has other ideas. It's a fresh and very funny short that gave us terrific characters in Marvin and K-9. Marvin's voice here is a little different as Mel Blanc hadn't perfected it yet. Aside from that minor distraction, this is a perfect cartoon. A real classic with great animation, writing, music, and voice work.