IMDb > The Foghorn Leghorn (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Foghorn Leghorn More at IMDbPro »

I Never Get Tired of These

Author: Rikichi from St. Louis, MO
22 February 2004

Foghorn Leghorn was on of the lesser stars at Warner Bros., but he was still one of the biggest cartoon stars from the mid '40's for the next 20 years. In this, his third short, once again Henery Hawk can't get it straight on what a chicken is supposed to look like, and anyone who has seen one of these classic Robert McKimson Fogorn/Henery cartoons knows the drill, and the gags in this one are very much par for the course. Also included is the Barnyard Dog, while not indispensable to this particular series, added a lot to them with his gruff matter-of-fact attitude. Besides, he was the only one who never failed to see Foghorn for what he really was, a loudmouth shnook.

Foghorn Vs. Little 'Henery'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 February 2007

Little Henery is a young chicken whose dad won't let him hunt for chickens yet and he's frustrated. "I'm a chicken hawk and I've never even seen a chicken," he complains. His dad has been telling him how huge and ferocious chickens are, to discourage him, but Henery decides enough is enough....he's going looking for his first chicken! (It turns out, as Henery's dad explains to the audience as he lurks outside of Ferndale Farms, "I hated to tell Henery falsehoods about chickens but a kid would only be in my way."

"You're probably going to hate me for what I am about to do but, after all, I am a chicken hawk," he tells us....than goes inside the coop and begins with a loud Dracula-type laugh- sound which terrifies the chickens but is very funny. However, from that point, that's the last we see of Dad as the big rooster, "Foghorn Leghorn," enters the picture and takes over from there, battling the little chicken hawk in a war of words more than anything else.

This was very good animated short with some clever comedy bits and great dialog from "Foghorn." I'd like to hear more from him.

One of a handful of classic Foghorn Leghorn cartoons

Author: (andrew-goulding1@hotmail.co.uk) from Lincoln, England
18 August 2008

Prior to Robert McKimson's 'The Foghorn Leghorn', the title character had made two previous appearances. By this, his third appearance, it was clear McKimson had a star on his hands and he went on to direct every one of the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. Originally a supporting player in what was intended as a star vehicle for Henerey Hawk, Foghorn stole the show so blatantly that it was the little chicken hawk who was subsequently reduced to the role of supporting player to the rooster's verbose antics. The Foghorn cartoons represent some of McKimson's best work and this short, which christened the rooster, is among the best. While the previous two Foggy shorts had involved him trying to prove to Henerey that he wasn't a chicken, 'The Foghorn Leghorn' flips the situation as Foghorn tries desperately to prove to a skeptical Henerey that he is a chicken. McKimson's direction is excellent adding extra hilarity to a fresh and funny setup. Mel Blanc's voice characterization for Foghorn is priceless ("I almost had a joke, son") even at this early stage. While there would ultimately be a few tedious entries in the eventually repetitive Foghorn Leghorn series, 'The Foghorn Leghorn' is certainly not one of them. A classic.

McKimson should have stuck to these Foghorn films ONLY

Author: movieman_kev from United States
2 November 2005

Little chikenhawk Henery longs to proves to his grandfather that he's old enough to catch chickens. Foghorn Leghorn just so happens to be a chicken but Henery thinks he's just a schnook on account of his hear his pop call him that. The cartoon is hilarious and if Robert McKimson just stayed with making Foghorn shorts, and never EVER made a Bugs Bunny cartoon then I would have no beef with the guy at all. This animated short can be found on disc 4 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 1 and features an optional commentary by Micheal Barrier.

My Grade: A+

A Star is I SAY I SAY born

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
19 November 2002

In his debut short 'Walky Talky Hawky' Henry Hawk was actually the star of the short but Mr. I SAY I SAY Leghorn stole the show and now he is the star and this is his first starring role. The premise here is similar to Walky Talky Hawky but it's still humorous.

3(***)out of 4(****)stars

My favourite Foghorn Leghorn cartoon

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
19 May 2013

I do like Foghorn Leghorn very much, he's not my favourite Looney Tunes character but he is one of their funniest and most distinctive. Most of his cartoons are thoroughly enjoyable, there are a few misses but the best, no matter how routine they are, are truly funny. Of his cartoons, The Foghorn Leghorn is my favourite. This time I am not going to pull the routine or repetitive card like I have with some of Foghorn's cartoons, because here instead of trying to convince that he isn't a chicken he is trying to convince that he is one, while the basic set-up is similar as far as I know The Foghorn Leghorn is the only one to reverse the typical situation so it does stand out among the rest in that regard. The animation is crisp and vibrant, Foghorn was better drawn later on, in his early entries he was a little too overweight but it is not an issue really. The music is as energetic, lush and characterful as you'd expect, the impact of the humour is helped by the effectiveness of how the music matches it. The dialogue is just hilarious, The Foghorn Leghorn contains some of the wittiest and sharpest writing of any of his cartoons, even early on the repetition and similes were there as part of Foghorn and they are every bit as effective. The gags are very clever and well-timed, hard to pick a favourite though, though Barnyard Dog's gestures and expressions do crack me up I have to say. Henery is a good character, cute but not too annoying, and works well with Barnyard and Foghorn. But he is not, and I don't think ever has been, as strong as the other two, Barnyard is very cunning and takes the butt of the jokes when called for well and Foghorn steals the show. Mel Blanc does a bravura job with the vocal characterisations as you'd expect. In conclusion, wonderful and while I find much entertainment in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, this one is my favourite of them all. 10/10 Bethany Cox

"I'm not after schnooks, I'm after a chicken!"

Author: utgard14 from USA
3 June 2016

Being a big fan of both Foghorn Leghorn and Henery Hawk, it's no surprise I enjoyed this gem from 1948 immensely. You have chicken hawk Henery once again trying to nab himself a chicken and once again finding himself crossing paths with Foghorn, whom he thinks is not a chicken but "a loud-mouthed schnook." Also appearing in this one are Barnyard Dog and Henery's father, a colorful character in his own right who provides the short's funniest bit about schnooks. It's a very funny cartoon with excellent animation. Love the colors. Great music from Carl Stalling. Terrific voice work from the incomparable Mel Blanc. This is early Foghorn but still some great lines here wonderfully delivered by Mel ("You're built too low! The fast ones go over your head! You've got a hole in your glove! I keep pitching 'em and you keep missing 'em!"). I can't imagine any fan of the character not loving this one.

The Foghorn Leghorn is a classic starring the loud-mouth rooster

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
9 January 2008

Once again, Henery Hawk is looking for a chicken to catch and once again, he doesn't know what a chicken looks like. When he sees his father looking at Foghorn Leghorn, the father, because he doesn't like his son tagging along, tells him he's not a chicken but a "snook". Supposedly because his ego is deflated, Foghorn keeps trying to convince Henery he really is a chicken. Of course, there's also the Barnyard Dog he has to deal with...Seeing the Southern rooster make some awful puns always gets a smile from me and occasionally even a laugh and it's always great to see him and the Barnyard Dog play tricks on each other. While Henery also provides some amusement, I was glad when he was eventually jettisoned for some other supporting characters like Prissy and her intellectual son. Anyway, The Foghorn Leghorn is another classic from the Robert McKimson unit.

"Now there's, I say, there's a strange means of locomotion."

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
15 February 2007

"The Foghorn Leghorn," directed by Bob McKimson, is a very good Warner Bros. cartoon starring Henery Hawk, Foghorn Leghorn, and Barnyard Dog. Henery's dad tries to dissuade him from pursuing chickens, but Henery, being a chicken hawk, has never even seen a chicken and is filled with a great curiosity. He decides he HAS to see for himself just what a chicken looks like and subsequently capture it for supper.

My favorite moments from "The Foghorn Leghorn" include the following. When Henery's dad tries to steal some hens, the hens all react in horror; one hen in particular drops dead to display her rather unglamorous knickers. In trying to prove himself a chicken (and NOT a loudmouthed schnook) to Henery, Foghorn Leghorn speaks in his usual overbearing Southern drawl and repeatedly applies some wildly exaggerated gestures to inadvertently beat up on Barnyard Dog, whom Henery mistakes for a chicken.

All those who get a big kick out of Foghorn Leghorn will appreciate this self-titled cartoon, in which that bigmouthed rooster really gets a chance to shine. It's especially funny to see Foghorn display an overly confident demeanor, only to have his bravado backfire on him every time, thus making a jackass of himself.

a chicken hawk can be many things

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
14 January 2007

Before "chicken hawk" referred to a warmonger who never served in the army, the Looney Tunes cartoons used the term. "The Foghorn Leghorn" features the eponymous blustery rooster trying to prove to Henery Hawk that he, Foghorn Leghorn, is in fact a chicken (rooster, that is) and not a schnook. Of course, this involves a series of self-degrading gags usually resulting in Foghorn irritating Barnyard Dog.

The plot line here is basically the same as in Foghorn's debut "Walky Talky Hawky", except that Foghorn is now the star. So, even if the cartoon isn't the ultimate masterpiece, it's always great to see what sorts of things Foghorn gets himself into. I recommend, I SAY I recommend this cartoon.