IMDb > Donald's Dream Voice (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Donald's Dream Voice More at IMDbPro »

Liked it overall, but made me ask a lot of questions

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 July 2012

I, as I've said many times already, absolutely love Donald Duck and most of his cartoons. Donald's Dream Voice I did like very much, but it is not one of my favourites. The music has energy and character, but there are a few parts in Donald's Dream Voice where it is so loud that you can't hear what the characters are saying. The cartoon also made me ask a lot of questions, such as how would the neighbours know he was a brush salesman if they didn't understand him, why Donald didn't think ahead and get more pills, and why the construction worker was so friendly all of a sudden after saying that he hated people. However though, I did like the idea and thought it worked well overall. The ending was cute, I loved the beginning with Donald dancing down the street to the music from Mr Duck Steps Out, and of the gags the one with the cow was hilarious. The animation is vibrant and fluid as you would expect, Donald is likable throughout even with his temperament and Daisy makes a pleasing cameo appearance. I also love Donald's dapper new voice. On the whole, a nice and well done cartoon but not one of the greats for me. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Poorly Written In the Wrong Direction.

Author: thejcowboy22 from United States
14 March 2016

Your watching and rooting for Donald to fix his problem but to have him lose the pills down the sewer is a cop-out of a story. I would have gone in a different direction where he was chemically dependent with unlimited dosages complete with side effects and dealer issues. Ultimately realizing that the voice doesn't make the duck but his Mind and Heart count for much more. I'm sorry the Late Walt didn't hire me for writing this animated short but this story could have been more interesting if Donald had a bigger supply. This short could have been a life lesson for children. Too frustrating to watch with a predictable ending where were right back were we started from. POOR DONALD!

A Mighty Big Change For Mr. Duck

Author: Ron Oliver (revilorest@juno.com) from Forest Ranch, CA
18 June 2003

A Walt Disney DONALD DUCK Cartoon.

DONALD'S DREAM VOICE - and all of its benefits - comes from a precious box of little red pills.

There are a lot of laughs in this little film, especially as Donald frantically tries to retrieve the last of his pills. The Duck's splendid new voice is an obvious spoof of velvety-toned English actor Ronald Colman. The story was written by Roy Williams, later to be an important adult member of television's MICKEY MOUSE CLUB in the 1950's. Clarence Nash provides Donald with his ordinary voice.

Walt Disney (1901-1966) was always intrigued by pictures & drawings. As a lad in Marceline, Missouri, he sketched farm animals on scraps of paper; later, as an ambulance driver in France during the First World War, he drew comic figures on the sides of his vehicle. Back in Kansas City, along with artist Ub Iwerks, Walt developed a primitive animation studio that provided animated commercials and tiny cartoons for the local movie theaters. Always the innovator, his ALICE IN CARTOONLAND series broke ground in placing a live figure in a cartoon universe. Business reversals sent Disney & Iwerks to Hollywood in 1923, where Walt's older brother Roy became his lifelong business manager & counselor. When a mildly successful series with Oswald The Lucky Rabbit was snatched away by the distributor, the character of Mickey Mouse sprung into Walt's imagination, ensuring Disney's immortality. The happy arrival of sound technology made Mickey's screen debut, STEAMBOAT WILLIE (1928), a tremendous audience success with its use of synchronized music. The SILLY SYMPHONIES soon appeared, and Walt's growing crew of marvelously talented animators were quickly conquering new territory with full color, illusions of depth and radical advancements in personality development, an arena in which Walt's genius was unbeatable. Mickey's feisty, naughty behavior had captured millions of fans, but he was soon to be joined by other animated companions: temperamental Donald Duck, intellectually-challenged Goofy and energetic Pluto. All this was in preparation for Walt's grandest dream - feature length animated films. Against a blizzard of doomsayers, Walt persevered and over the next decades delighted children of all ages with the adventures of Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi & Peter Pan. Walt never forgot that his fortunes were all started by a mouse, or that childlike simplicity of message and lots of hard work always pay off.