IMDb > Berlin Express (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Berlin Express

Berlin Express More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

good thriller, unbeatable location shots and cinematography

Author: madmad from santa cruz, ca
4 November 2002

I saw this movie recently on TCM and liked it. I thought the plot was good, as was the acting. I couldn't believe that the secretary was Merle Oberon, I hardly recognized her, and I think that is a testament to how good an acting job she did. Some of the lines seemed stilted and staged, particularly toward the end, but given the time period when the movie was filmed, not at all surprising. There was a good mix of characters, but the real star of the film is the location: there are wonderful shots of Berlin and Frankfurt right after the war, and the devastation around the characters adds a powerful unspoken dimension to the film.

For anyone who enjoyed this movie, I would also highly recommend "Decision Before Dawn," also filmed on location in postwar Europe, which starred Richard Basehart, Oskar Werner and a whole host of other fabulous character actors, including Hildegard Kneff.

It is irksome, but neither Berlin Express nor Decision Before Dawn seem to be available on Video or DVD, which is a real shame. So, watch your TV listings for these two.

Fascinating historical footage.

Author: otto4 from California, USA
27 June 2005

I've only seen this movie once but what differentiates it for me is not the story, the actors, or the director, but rather the footage of post WWII Frankfurt Germany and the devastation wrought by the war.

In addition to the general post-war, pre-Cold War footage, the most fascinating thing is the film shot inside the I.G. Farben builting. This building is famous among architects and has a unique interior, shown in the film. This building was also the "Abrams Building" during the time the U.S. military occupied it during the Cold War and anyone who was in Frankfurt in the 1970's or 1980's might recognise it as unchanged inside from the time the movie was made to the time one served in the Army. This film is rare because that was a secure building during much of the Cold War. Today I believe the Army has left the building and it is occupied by a school or college.

Lots of history in this movie. I wish it was available on DVD.

Textbook example of brilliant direction complicating simplistic script.

Author: Darragh O' Donoghue (hitch1899_@hotmail.com) from dublin, ireland
28 June 2000

On a surface level this is a kind of benevolent THIRD MAN, as a group of international comrades, most prominently a naive American, try to root out sinister Germans and a betraying friend in the rubbles of post-war Europe. The script is a model of civic decency, as it dramatises the lingering dangers facing Europe after the war, but offering a narrative of co-operation and hope.

Director Tourneur, however, had only just directed the beautifully bleak OUT OF THE PAST, and this film is full of a blackness overwhelming good intentions, where the frightening contingencies of history and inexplicable darkness of man are not so easily swept aside. His mastery of space and lighting, his disturbing compositions and vigorous editing are an eternal pleasure not to be enjoyed again until Scorcese's glory days.

very unusual suspense film

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
9 February 2006

This film is about the only one I can recall that deals with the anti-West resistance that the US and its allies received from the conquered Germans after WWII. Apart from this movie, you'd think that ALL the Germans easily adapted to their new rule, while in reality there were murders and scattered resistance for several years in an effort by ex-Nazis to destabilize the peace. For historical reasons alone, it is an important movie. Robert Ryan plays our hero who finds out about a Nazi murder plot and, with the help of a multinational team, he goes to action. I think that having help from the Russians, French and British is interesting, but highly improbable and seemed like a bit of a cliché, but nevertheless it's a great film and well wroth seeing.

interesting view of post-war Germany

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
3 February 2005

This movie is most notable as a historical document giving a glimpse of Germany after the war. The location shots in bombed out Frankfurt and Berlin are rather startling, and it's interesting to see the hatred and mistrust everyone has for the Germans. The movie is shot very well and the early scenes are excellent.

Unfortunately the script is weak. Towards the end I realized that I just wasn't clear on why things were happening as they were. It felt like the plot was just a backdrop to the ambiance, which was fine in the beginning but became a problem as the plot moved its wobbly self to center stage. I can't entirely blame the script though; I think Tourneur's greatest failing as a director is that while he had a lot of style and could always make things interesting, he could be sloppy in terms of telling a story. Of course he wasn't the only director who believed you could gloss over a lot if you just kept things moving, but that works better with a good muddled script like The Big Sleep rather than the distinctly ordinary but muddled script he worked with here. Still worth seeing though.

Occupation Noir

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
9 April 2008

Fresh from the acclaim he got for Out of the Past, director Jacques Tourneur went to Europe with his cast and crew and became the first film maker from the west to do a movie in occupied Germany. It's a good noir thriller, but it is also a plea for unity and understanding among nations, specifically those who were occupying Germany at that time.

It's quite a little United Nations on a train from Paris to Berlin with Robert Ryan American agricultural expert, Robert Coote British school teacher, Roman Toporow Russian soldier, Charles Korvin French bon vivant and Merle Oberon another French national with a German VIP Paul Lukas.

Lukas is quite a VIP indeed, he's the prototype for Konrad Adenauer an anti-Nazi leader who is going to a conference to present a plan for a reunified Germany. But the former regime has a few adherents who skulk in dark places and when they fail at an assassination (they kill a double)they kidnap Lukas to prevent the conference from getting off the ground.

The grand alliance that defeated Hitler is fraying at the seams, but these folks get together for one more endeavor to find Lukas and incidentally clear themselves of complicity in what's happening.

Tourneur did a grand job in making use of the bombed out locations in Frankfurt where most of the story takes place. It certainly gives authenticity to the story.

As a plea against provincial thinking Berlin Express sends a valiant but forlorn message. The following year the French, British, and American zones of occupation formed the Federal Republic of Germany with Konrad Adenauer at the head. The Russians took about a third of the country and formed the German Democratic Republic and thus Germany was divided for about 40 years.

I do believe Lukas is right at times when he says man might only unite if aliens invade the earth. It might just be worth it.

A good thriller

Author: Ilya Mauter
24 April 2003

Set in a post WW-2 Germany, "Berlin Express" is a quite interesting thriller directed by Jacques Tourneur. The story is basically about a group of people each of whom representing Russian, French, American and British forces who are united in trying to solve an assassination attempt made by Nazi underground group on a Professor Bernhardt, one of the former liders of German Resistance to Nazis and now a chairman of a commission for post-war unification of Germany.

"Berlin Express" is particularly interesting for it's exteriors shot in 1947 on real locations with special permission from Allied forces, showing destroyed by bombings Frankfurt and Berlin. 7/10

Good

Author: Christine (chris-459) from Lisbon, Portugal
24 April 2003

I always think that it is a good idea to make a thriller/ mystery story even when one is trying to show something that has nothing to do with that. In "The Berlin Express" we are shown post-war Germany, the consequences of 2nd World War. First the film can look as a triumphant look of the winner of the war towards the wreckage it left behind. Such sentences as "here justice arranged it so that the punishment were equal to the crime" (I'm not sure if the quote is correct, but the idea is) might corroborate that first impression. However it is possible that all is meant as great irony.

The film is good. It isn't great though - just compare it with Reed's "The Third Man" and you'll see the difference between a master piece, a work of a superb team, and a reasonably well-made picture. However one mustn't forget that "reasonably well-made" pictures aren't so easy to do, and thus "The Berlin Express" seems to me to be a good movie.

historically interesting

Author: silverauk from Belgium
4 October 2003

This movie is interesting because it shows the effect of the terrible bombings by the allies on cities crowded with civilians: especially Frankfurt and Berlin. It was made on location in 1947 and therefore a testimony of the ruins. It was only released in Germay 8 years later. Professor Bernhardt is handled with a surprising respect by the American officers during the investigations. Robert Ryan as Robert Lindley seems to be more accurate. Jacques Tourneur develops the thriller with skill.

Nasty Germans / Nice Germans

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
10 October 2006

An interesting movie but not a great one. The story line is incredibly muddled and held together in the early stages by a plodding voice-over that stops the flow of the film dead even before it starts. The first reel is almost entirely in French with the narrator explaining everything to us in mind-numbing detail (including at one point informing us that '21:45' is the "European way" of saying 9.45 pm). Eventually, despite the narration, a bunch international characters, one from every Allied nation, are assembled in the sleeper car of the Berlin Express of the title. I though at first the narration was a post-production, add-on fix but then there is a long tracking shot down the train carriage where each of the characters is introduced to us by the narrator, compartment by compartment which makes me think it was intended all along. It's such a laborious shot that it makes you think the movie is going to settle down to being a mystery on a train like The Lady Vanishes, or Murder on the Orient Express. But no. There is a murder all right, but everyone is quickly hauled off the train and the victim turns out to be a decoy for a real VIP and, after a few brief scenes in an office, no attempt is made to solve the assassination attempt.

The assembled international types continue on their journey but, before they can get on the train, the VIP is kidnapped. They all break their schedules to hunt Frankfurt for the missing man and stumble over a set of 'clues' and coincidences that would make the writers of Murder She Wrote blush with shame (for example our heroes go to a bar and see a girl smoking one of the VIP's special monogrammed cigarettes. She runs away so they talk to the GI she was sitting with. A few shots later he turns out to be a Nasty German in disguise - why? I mean why was he sitting around in a night club, off-limits to Allied troops, wearing an 'enemy' uniform. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever). Later our heroes (though one of them also turns out to be a Nasty German) find their man and save the day before reaching Berlin. More painful Narration as they drive past various bombed landmarks before arriving at the ever-so symbolic Brandenburg Gate. Then they all go their separate ways with a great show of international solidarity and hope for the future that is so painfully earnest and laboured it made me want to immediately start rebuilding the Berlin Wall.

Having said all that there are a few good things in here. The clown is bizarrely weird - classic Tourneur. And the fight in the brewery tun was a memorable - the bad guy blasting down into the huge barrel, lighting the trapped Ryan in brief flashes as he fired was a great moment. The performance of the man who betrays the VIP to his enemies is touching - the best acting in the whole movie. But as to who the bad guys were, and why they were doing what they were doing I had no idea. I'm sure it mean well and full kudos for having a sympathetic Soviet Russian character. But all in all I found it a confusing mess.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]