IMDb > Thunder in the Valley (1947) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Thunder in the Valley More at IMDbPro »

Great old movie, especially the sheepdog trials.

Author: shepdog-2 from Massachusetts, USA
14 April 2000

This is a great movie, given the era. It is not true to the original book, but close enough. The sheepdog trials are excellent, however, when you compare them to the travesties portrayed in the Lassie movies. The course is a possible but difficult one and certainly would indicate a dog's skill if it could be achieved. Whereas, in the book Auld Bob is supposed to be the superior dog, the movie portrays Red Wull as the dog with the real skill and style of a working sheepdog. Hey, I'm a Border Collie geek--what do you expect?

Can't compare to the novel

Author: bux from Tecumseh ok
12 July 2001

This is a passable story of young love in the Highlands, with a little bit about Sheepdogs thrown in for color, I guess. The book from which this movie was taken "Bob, Son of Battle" is quite a different story. Considered a children's book by many (which it is NOT!) the tale is of a legendary working dog that is bigger than life at times, and his rival, the evil Red Wool. One of the two is a sheep killer.

The movie waters down the relationship between father and son, and in true Hollywood fashion of the 40's makes all right in the world at the conclusion.

I should not have expected too much from the movie...I have read about six to eight books a month, over the past 50 years, and of everything I have read, "Bob, Son of Battle" stands out as the BEST book I've ever come across. So disappointed with the movie I was sure to be.

If you can find this one on TV watch it...but READ the book, you will love it!