IMDb > Mother Wore Tights (1947) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mother Wore Tights

Mother Wore Tights More at IMDbPro »

Prominent on my all-time movies!!

Author: anonymous from Layton, Utah
21 July 1999

This beautiful treatment of a show business family has become for me THE movie musical memory of my formative years. All cast members provide excellent performances, especially Dan Dailey and Betty Grable, with an unforgettable score that still resonates in my memory. Would love to purchase a copy of this classic for my home film library.

Partners On Stage And Life

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
27 September 2009

In what turned out to be his first film since his discharge from the Navy after World War II, Dan Dailey gets to co-star with Betty Grable in the first of four films they did together. Lucky break for Dailey as Grable was at the top of her pinup girl popularity.

Mother Wore Tights is based on a book my Miriam Young whose character is the youngest of the two sisters of this vaudeville family and played at her oldest in the film by Connie Marshall. The story is her family memoir and takes us back to Grable and Dailey as young high school graduate and young vaudevillian song and dance man.

It takes a while, but Grable manages to make the act a double on stage and in life. Grable's not terribly convincing as a teenager, she was a little long in the tooth, but really I don't think the audience cared.

Dan Dailey is always been a marvel to me, a fine dramatic actor as well as a great song and dance man. I did love those spiffy and goofy costumes he wore when in stage character.

Mother Wore Tights earned three Academy Award nominations, color cinematography, musical scoring, and for Best Song, You Do one of the original songs written by Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon. You can get bootleg recordings off the soundtrack of Mother Wore Tights and most of Grable's films as she never made too many trips to the recording studios as per Darryl Zanuck's edict to his musical stars.

Mother Wore Tights is a fine piece of nostalgic cinema, so typical of the color musicals 20th Century Fox did with their players. Very charming and exhibits the talents of its leads very well.

A thoroughly pleasing old-fashioned movie musical

Author: llewis001 from United States
7 January 2005

I saw this movie when it was "first run" in 1947. Betty Grable was at the height of her popularity and "Mother Wore Tights" helped her to remain as the highest paid woman of that year. The back-stage story, a cliché and, perhaps, quite trite in 2005, was fresh, especially because of the family element: two Vaudevilians raising their two daughters, one of whom provides the voice-over narration (done by Anne Baxter). Visually, the film is spectacularly Technicolorful. The songs and dancing are typical of the era and delightfully entertaining. While "You Do" was nominated for Best Song, I think that "Kokomo, Indiana" is a better candidate. This is one of the best of Betty Grable's films, and for the first time she has a male partner in Dan Dailey who is more than just a dancing extra. After almost fifty years, the film is still fun to watch. It's too bad that a similarly appealing film, the 1948 "When My Baby Smiles At Me" with Grable and Dailey, is not available.

A REMINDER OF MY YOUNG DAYS AT THE MOVIES. ALL HAPPY.

Author: Sean (1sean@optonline.net) from USA
27 December 2002

A rollicking, cheerful musical about a vaudeville family and their adventures.

A classic and must see. Ask TCM or AMC to bring this back. You'll be glad you did. It is guaranteed to bring smiles and thoughts of simpler, happier times. Happy New Year.

delightful movie, sort of corny story,great song & dance, made me smile!

Author: donnacarol34 from united states
22 August 2000

dan daily did such a good job of dancing and had the ability to make you feel the part. betty grable was her delightful self. loved the music. these were the days when movies were entertaining and you left the theater feeling good!!

Vintage backstage family saga

Author: sccates from United States
25 July 2005

Betty Grable and Dan Daily were an excellent team, and this was one of their best. The music, while old fashioned corn, is fantastic, and the storyline -- also corn-- is great musical material. A great family picture. Song standouts include a delightful TRA LA LA LA LA, and also a great tribute to KOKOMO, INDIANA. Granted, Betty was no Garland, and she never tried to be, and this picture utilized more of her than just her valuable legs and incandescent beauty. Dan Daily brought out the best in Betty Grqble, and their numbers are always a delight. For any Fox musical aficionado, this film is a necessity. Not a wrong note in the whole picture.

Nostalgic vaudeville musical should please Grable/Dailey fans...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
6 December 2006

While BETTY GRABLE was never in the same league with Ginger Rogers or Rita Hayworth as a dancer, she does manage to keep up nicely with DAN DAILEY in this pleasant backstage musical of a vaudeville couple who become a dance team, marry and raise a family. The voice-over narration is by none other than ANNE BAXTER, although MONA FREEMAN and CONNIE MARSHALL play the couple's children.

Grable is still at the height of her box-office popularity here, charming in the song-and-dance routines that show off her shapely figure and modest talents as a dancer, while Dailey is at his breezy best as her highly confident partner.

By today's standards, it's no doubt going to find some who find it too schmaltzy and corny but fans of the escapist movies of the '40s will no doubt succumb to its charms.

Alfred Newman's musical score won a Best Musical Score Oscar and the film had two nominations for Color Cinematography and the song "You Do". The musical numbers are light and entertaining, my personal favorite being the "Kokomo, Indiana" song-and-dance, although the Oscar winning ballad is nice enough.

But there's nothing special here. Grable fans might be disappointed that the musical numbers aren't more lavish (or as garish as they usually are in a Grable film), but the story has some warm appeal that makes up for the neglected gaudier aspects.

Trivia note: An actor named STEPHEN DUNNE (as Roy), bears a remarkable resemblance to GEORGE MONTGOMERY. Could be his twin brother!!

A tale of working parents and the effects it has on the family.

Author: mark.waltz from New York City
29 January 2013

Yes, the subject may be vaudeville, but indeed, this is a film somewhat ahead of its time as it details how the absence of parents on their children has an effect on them. It is also the tale of a marriage, a successful career, and an era we will certainly never see again. It is also a lesson about how not to judge someone just because they are old; They may indeed have a past much hotter than yours! "Mother, how could you?" narrator Anne Baxter inquiries as she tells us about the life of the sweet old lady crocheting who at one time could kick up her legs to the delight of the tired businessmen in the audience. Mother is Betty Grable, the pin-up girl, and the young musical comedy star who had the highest insured legs in the business. Having left Oakland for Business College in San Francisco, she got sidetracked by a light opera house (i.e. vaudeville or burlesque hall) and ended up co-starring with the hammy headliner Dan Dailey whom she eventually married. Mother decides to put show business aside when she has children, but when father's partner backs out for a new invention called moving pictures, dad asks that mother return, and her feisty grandmother (Sara Allgood) tells her that she should have been with him all along.

As Myrt and McKinnley, they travel the provinces, and are prepared to spend Christmas away from the family when grandma steps in and sends them the best Christmas of all. Realizing that their children are growing up into young ladies and need proper education, they send them to boarding school, and as the oldest, Iris (Mona Freman), begins to grow into a beautiful young woman with social ambitions, she is slightly embarrassed over her parent's occupation. Myrtle and Bert step in to help their daughter adjust to accepting them and show her that not all entertainers are loud hams who jump in to take over a song when a group of youngsters are singing on a train to entertain themselves.

The first and best of the Dailey/Grable pairings (although Dailey was nominated for an Oscar for playing an alcoholic vaudevillian opposite Grable in the following year's "When My Baby Smiles at Me"), this is more than just another "Alexander's Ragtime Band" or "Tin Pan Alley". It really goes beyond just being an entertainment, exploring the dynamics of family and how they deal with being separated and getting past identity crisis of the teenage years. It is also filled with a glorious song score including "Berlington Bertie From Bow" (repeated by Julie Andrews in "Star!") and songs written directly for the film like "This is My Favorite City", "Bowling Green", "Tra La La La La" and "Kokomo, Indiana". The main theme, "You Do", is heard several times, first as a chorus number, later as a beautiful solo by Grable and finally by Freeman at her high school graduation, and was deservedly nominated for an Oscar.

While Dailey and Grable never became as beloved as Astaire and Rogers, it is apparent that they came too late in the musical game to hold court for longer than a few joint appearances. However, they are glorious together, and unlike Astaire and Rogers are not placed together against type; You really feel they belong together. Allgood gives her good old Welsh charm as Grandmother, while Freeman and Connie Marshall are delightful as the two sisters who as Baxter narrates both loved and hated each other, yet were never not devoted. Veda Ann Borg is very funny as the cynical but wise chorus line pal of Grable's. In smaller roles, William Frawley, Lee Patrick, Maude Eburne and Ruth Nelson also deserve credit in character parts.

This is a highlight for the episodic family get-togethers, particularly the funny and touching Christmas sequence (featuring some very entertaining guests including Senor Wences) and the Berkshire Highlands summer resort scenes. Lotte Stein and Sig Ruman are adorable as the elderly European couple who encounter young Marshall while the family is on that holiday. The ending is touching as it reminds us that as our parents get older, the memory of their youth to them is as fresh as ours is to us.

Grable and Dailey made a great vaudevillian team!

Author: william walker (weezeralfalfa@yahoo.com) from United States
30 January 2012

This first union of Betty Grable and versatile vaudevillian-styled Dan Dailey was probably the high water mark of Betty's film career, although still not available on DVD at this time! Clearly, it was well received by audiences of the time, as Fox's biggest grossing film of the year. We were getting a little weary of the endless films in which Betty or other Fox musical divas had on again-off again romantic and professional relation with their male costars, who couldn't match her dancing, comedic, and, often, singing talents.In Dan, she finally had a true soul mate who could do all these things, even if he didn't have quite the matinée idol looks of her previous costars. As a result, much more film time is spent in seemingly endless musical and comedy numbers, instead of boring melodrama. Songs range from "Silent Night" to quite a few by the hired score team of Josef Myrow and Mack Gordon. An added attraction at one point is Senior Wences and his popular puppet act, sometimes featured on TV of the times. The last part of the film does spend too much time fretting about the growing pains of their children, and not enough time on more musical scenes.

Unfortunately,I haven't been able to view the second film pairing the two stars: "When my Baby Smiles at Me". With Jack Oakey and June Haver as second leads, we had a very talented vaudevillian team, and with the many well known tunes included, it should have been a great show. Although for the second year in a row, a Grable-Dailey film was Fox's biggest box-office draw, apparently it lacks the appeal of the present film, with Dailey garnering the lion's share of plaudits.

Nostaligic film; Grable is "okay"; Dailey is better

Author: vincentlynch-moonoi from United States
21 February 2012

This is a good, sentimental, family film of 1947. It's a rather idealized viewpoint of how vaudeville was, with none of the downsides that we often see in such films. It's all sweetness.

The production standards here were very high, and the color is luscious.

Somehow, after all these years of watching old movies, I had never seen one with Betty Grable. This is the second I've seen recently, and I have to admit that I don't get it. She's a satisfactory actress, satisfactory dancer, and satisfactory singer. Frankly, Dan Dailey is more a natural here. Grable is "fine". Dailey is smooth. There are nice performances by the supporting cast.

This is almost too sweet to hold an audience today, but this film was very popular upon its theatrical release. It's worth a watch, but few will probably want it on their DVD shelf.