IMDb > The Smugglers (1947) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Smugglers More at IMDbPro »The Man Within (original title)

A film ahead of its time in showing male affection.

Author: (bullboor@aol.com) from Philadelphia area, USA
20 February 2002

The release date on the film is given as 1947 but I'm certain I saw it in 1946 aboard a Navy ship returning from service in the Pacific in World War II, and its title then was "The Smugglers." The cast was uncommonly fine (look at the list!)and the acting excellent in a very good Graham Greene story. What struck me was the intensity of the bond between the boy (Attenborough) and his guardian (Redgrave) whom he loves but, as I recall, betrays and brings to his death. There were few such representations on film in those days--I remember the friendship between Paris and Drake in "King's Row" and between George and Lennie in "Of Mice and Men," but not much else. Few people seem to know "The Man Within." That's a pity. It's an uncommonly good film.

an early Redgrave/Attenborough work, highly recommended!

Author: Robert Rossner (robrossner@aol.com) from long island, ny, usa
29 May 1999

This is an astounding study of misanthropy: Attenborough plays a weak, snivelling pup who is befriended, educated and protected by Redgrave--a father-figure--who happens to be a criminal (a smuggler); There are some similarities to "The Informer" here; the movie, incidentally, takes its title from (I think) a poem, with the line: "There is a man within me/ that's angry with me." Incidentally, I saw this film when it first was released in this country; I guess I was about 16, and it was one of the first "foreign" films I'd ever seen...and I guess it made quite an impression on me, because that was fifty years ago.

How Could He Resist The Charms Of Jean Kent

Author: malcolmgsw from london
28 June 2014

This film is virtually unknown.I can never recall it showing on TV in the UK and it is not available on DVD>It is an interesting film with an exceptional cast.However most of the film seems to consist of Richard Attenborough being flogged,tortured or threatened.not surprisingly his most oft used line is "I hate him".Furthermore when offered the ample charms of Jean Kent he resists her and flees back to Joan Greenwood who is afflicted with an awful French accent.There is some very good technicolour camera-work.However it is clear that this film must have got lost in the rush of costume dramas coming out of Gainsborough Studios.It doesn't deserve to be forgotten.

Yes the Novel Does Quote the Hater Within

Author: carryonpompei from United States
6 September 2008

Actually I haven't seen the film. I've just finished reading The Man Within, which is complicated and powerful. I wanted to see if it had been filmed. Greene was after all a film fan and screenwriter as well as a hugely successful novelist.

Yes, the flyleaf quotes Browne: "There's another man within me that's angry with me." A lot of Greene's novels were filmed, including The Third Man, The Heart of the Matter, and The End of the Affair. I think novelists deserve hugely more credit than they get for successful adaptations.

Yes I know this post is slightly off-point.