IMDb > I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now (1947) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A memorable film

Author: bitzer from Bucks County, PA
27 February 2005

I notice that five of the six people who commented before me on "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now" spoke of the lasting impression it made on them. In 1947, when it came out, I was 13; I didn't see it again until 1975 or '76, when it was shown on TV, and I watched it with a young woman in her early 20's. In 1975-'76 I was eager to see if it would give me the pleasure it had as a teenager. It did, and it has stuck with that young woman, too, who has been my wife for more than 25 years. Both of us regard it as second only to "Singin' In the Rain." The music IS wonderful, as others have said, and the stars are at least adequate, but I remember best the color and the nostalgic mood, a sweetly innocent and beautiful aura. I looked it up on IMDb hoping that it might still be available on video. I see that others before me had the same hope, only to be blighted. Pity. It should be reissued and treasured.

The Stars and Music Rescue a Soapy Plot

Author: Kalaman from Ottawa
22 November 2003

I saw "I Wonder Who is Kissing Her Now" last night. It is my third June Haver musical and I was slightly underwhelmed by it.

An extravagant biography of the ups and downs of the vaudeville songwriter Joe Howard (Mark Stevens) and his romantic adventures with a songstress Lulu Madison (Martha Stewart) while being true to his jealous sister Katie (Haver), "I Wonder..." turns out to be an opulent Gay 90s musical in the vein of "Hello Frisco Hello"(1943) and "My Gal Sal"(1942). The Technicolor, lavish sets, and turn-of-the- century costumes are sometimes thrilling, but the plot is very frustrating and soapy. It doesn't go anywhere.

However, the stars and the music make it worthwhile. The best numbers are the title song and "Goodbye My Baby Love".

A truly great musical- the songs are exciting

Author: none-85 from Bethesda, MD
15 December 1998

My favorite musical next to the Jolson Story. The songs send tingles to the spine- a yearning for the carefree life at the turn of the century. Mark Stevens and June Haver are outstanding as the leads. Reg Gardiner and Martha Stewart are also great in their supporting roles. The songs- I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now, Hello My Baby, Honeymoon, etc. are true classics.

Wonderful memories

Author: teresatremain from Cornwall, England
17 February 2005

I am 25 years old and I first saw this film when I was about 8. I have a wonderful memory for songs and lyrics and I can still remember (even though I haven't seen it for 15 years) all of them.

Goodbye my lady love, Honeymoon, Hello my baby, Be sweet to me kid, and of course I wonder who's kissing her now. I am desperate to see this again, my Nan is gone from us now and I used to watch it with her and perform the songs for her in fancy dress. Well it was lovely.

June Havers was so lovely and the film was light and easy to watch. A very cute little love story with wonderful music, I have seen a lot of musicals and no others have stuck in my head as much.

Please if anyone hears anything please post here.

Overlong, heavily padded fantasy-bio on songwriter Joseph Howard...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
15 January 2009

Although ostensibly the success story of working stiff/songwriter-turned-vaudeville pianist and later Broadway composer Joseph Howard, this fluff musical from Fox is really a showcase for June Haver playing Howard's adopted sister. Haver's tag-along good girl--who harbors dreams of stardom herself--provides sass and bounce in this extremely lightweight story; unfortunately, her character's fantasy about being in the spotlight, and her somewhat conniving ways, detracts from Howard's misadventures with money and women while never building a credible profile for young Katie. The film is certainly tuneful and pleasant, but low-keyed Mark Stevens as Joe isn't able to make much of an impression (and when he gets angry at kid sis Katie near the end, it seems to come out of nowhere). There are some good supporting performances (particularly by Martha Stewart as a glinty-eyed vaudeville chanteuse), but the final musical number seems to go on forever, and the romantic finish doesn't quite work. ** from ****

A Perfectly Symetrical Multi-Plane 1940's Americana- carnival; which would have glowed in post-war Britain's grey drab.

Author: Peter Whittle from London, England
1 October 2002

Katie is jealously protective of Joe;for whom the aesthetic charms of Lulu Madison cause the biggest Cat-Fight & Rumble on musical celluloid.

I cannot get over this Picture.It is the most perfect cinematic experience I have ever had! It complements itself with dimension upon dimension of biography,romance,music,love,jealousy,dancing,parody,irony & history. The characterisation are looming & loud.

Joe paternally cares for his adopted sister 'Katie'.She loves him for all the world which he cannot seemingly acknowledge. Lulu Madison is a sassy Top Billing Singer;& soon obtains the charms of Joe.Round 3: - Katie.She joins the act & in the second half of the Film "Gets Her Man " .

Most important/memorable line: "Katie,You Gotta Start Liking Lulu or she'll get me kicked out of the Show" "I'll TRY to like her Joe" "Now say your prayers or you won't go to Heaven !" "But I wanna go with You, Joe" .

This Film is about ROMANTIC PEOPLE living in a ROMANTIC ERA.Maybe I should have been cast in it.

Good looking woman were better in my day

Author: (joe@josephjeanes.com) from USA, Vista, CA
19 March 2002

June Haver presents a beautiful life like representation of an idylic world where success occurs while life is the lie and 3rd grade words are not kept from promotion ie white lies go far. I was born in 1952, so this movie is way out of my time frame for appreciation as the year now is 2002 but it does not take much effort to recognize greatness, no matter what year faces the antiquities of its present and its vehicles of success.

The movie, has terrific set design. The technology was the 10 gigahertz computer of the day. The wardrobes have beautiful embroidery with terrific symbolism of a hot night life. Even the difficulties of Russia of that time are gently assuaged with positivisms that only the arts could present as opposed to political intrigues that were overwhelming at that time for almost any successful state of mind.

The movie did much for me feeling very happy about being a private in the front lines of money, being able to speak under orders that had an authority behind them and should of I had a few dollars, maybe could have a chance a kissing one of those girls.

Loved This Movie Since I Was a Little Girl

Author: maryblumreich from United States
20 October 2007

The movie came out in 1947 and my girl friend Virginia Rose and I went to see it together. (Small town girls, we practically lived at the movies). I was eight years old and totally entranced by the title song. I can sing it to this day, but no one seems to want to listen. :) I was beginning to think I was the only person who remembered this movie and am pleased to know I am not alone. I have not seen the movie since, but do wish it would be re-issued so that we old fans could enjoy the music and characters again. June Haver was beautiful and was one of my favorite actresses. I remember being happy when she married Fred MacMurray who was another favorite of mine.

Looking for a copy

Author: Red-105 from Southport, NC, USA
27 June 1999

I remember this as being one of my all time favorite movies as a child. Haven't seen it since the late 40's. I would really like to find a source to purchase this wonderful musical, but haven't been successful. The music, dancing, romance, it was from a great time in our country.

****

Author: edwagreen from United States
3 May 2016

Marvelous 1947 film telling the story how song writer Joe Howard made it in the music business.

His songs were marvelously staged, the set decorations were superb and Natalie Kalmus never failed in her coloring technique of motion pictures.

Mark Stevens as Joe was just wonderful. Did he do his own singing here. In a way, the Howard character was victimized by three women and winds up with a young girl whose uncle had brought them both up. In a way, her constant lying would only benefit Joe while Ms. Barrington spurns him for a former flame and Lulu is a conniving, deceitful woman who was angered by his prominence on the stage.

June Haver as a sort of Gigi is great here as well.