IMDb > Bill and Coo (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bill and Coo More at IMDbPro »

Enthralling

Author: jernie from Seattle, WA
13 December 2001

I saw this at the age of 4 and never forgot it, and for the longest time thought I had dreamed it until I heard someone discussing it at a movie one night. It's unlike anything you've ever seen before, and deserves wider screening. Think Claymation with live animals.

Don't make'um like this anymore--in fact, save for this one, they never did!

Author: Irving Warner from Washington State
6 October 2000

I first saw this in a theater when I was small. I remembered it always, and when I taught a "movie sleepers" class, I finally acquired it in 16 mm. It stars mostly birds, but other animals as well, all trained for "Bill and Coo", a unique love story. You must still retain a very young soul to really get into this. "Charming" is often a sticky, say-nothing word, but not in the case of "Bill and Coo". It charms the viewer, and astounds--how DID they get all those birds to do those things?! A person must see this to believe it, but children beware: Adults should not be allowed to view this unless in the presence of children.

Just Lovely

Author: NJCult from New Jersey
10 July 1999

Definitely not a movie for everyone, but this movie is a treasure. Cast with lovely birds, kittens, puppies and a crow who makes the town of Chirpendale a living heck, Bill and Coo is an accomplishment. The tricks that the birds perform in the circus scene alone are great and storyline is engaging even for those who are young at heart. After watching this movie on late night public TV, I became enamored with it and feel it should be seen more rather than lay on the wayside of cinema history.

Unforgettable experience

Author: (kathym@prwt.com) from Philadelphia, PA, USA
30 November 2000

I saw this movie for the first time in a Spanish translation in Cuba, circa 1950. It was such memorable film that I never forgot it. I was about 10 years old at the time.

The trainers of the parakeets, love birds, and other creatures must have spent years to make this film! Bill and Coo, hero and heroine, are endearing. But the evil crow is the most wonderful villain a child could ever wish for. And the village idiot who saves the day is a real warm character.

In fact, each and every character seems to share human traits and personalities, thanks to the great editing, music, and narration of this charming movie. It should return to the video stores for new generations to enjoy.

great film, pure fantasy, sweet (maybe a little syrupy) but over all an enthralling film.

Author: stephen gyetko1 from White Plains, NY
14 June 2004

A great film. Truly an overlooked gem. An 'All Bird' movie. And, it's not just for 'bird people'. It's got action, adventure, love and comedy. A film for everyone, although I myself would not let anyone under the age of 8 see it alone. The scene where to hotel's on fire and you can see all these birds flapping around through the windows, looking very convincingly panic stricken, is very real. It might be a good idea to be there just to assure the child that 'no, they're not going to hurt the birds, it looks like they're in danger but it's just 'acting'. Outside of that, it's a great film. Maybe kids are tougher these days, maybe I'm a bit 'out of touch', but it is something to consider. However, don't let that one little bit deter you from seeing this great movie. My wife and I catch it two or three times a year. We taped it when it was broadcast late at night by WLIW-Ch. 21, Garden City, New York. Good IL' PBS!

This is a great lost gem!

Author: BurtonFanatic (BurtonFanatic@Hotmail.com) from New Berlin, Wisconsin
26 July 2001

Like the review I gave for the other "lost gem", I think this movie is great! It's very weird and not for all taste's! But it's just entertaining and very fun to watch! If you are looking to find this film, it's available through Video Yesteryear! And to be honet, they don'y movie's like this anymore! If you ever get a chance to see this film! For the love of pete, see it!

Genuinely surreal

Author: n_r_koch from Washington DC
31 October 2006

Unshackled insanity. It's as if Hitchcock had cast birds in all the roles in "The Birds". And while Hollywood loves a remake, it's safe to say that nothing like this will ever be made again.

Like other films made for children, B&C is quite a bit more surreal than anything the Surrealists ever came up with. Not even they ever quite got as far as the sequence in which live birds-- dressed up in little waistcoats-- tow a pair of caged cats through a miniature town, or in which a crow the size of King Kong terrorizes the night.

The explanatory narrative is merely annoying; try this one silent, or with the music of your choice.

Worthy Oscar Winner

Author: skallisjr from Tampa, FL United States
30 March 2005

This film received a special Oscar for "patience and persistence." Not so remarkable in these days of CGI, but astonishing back then. There must have been bushels of outtakes, but the final story works fine with its many avian actors. The town of Chirpendale is rife with puns (such as a burlesque theater that features "beautiful gulls"), and some of the action seems a bit strange, but the story flows. The reason to see the film is to behold the "acting" of the incredibly trained birds.

Later animal films, such as "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" are more realistic, but the fantasy world of Chirpendale is internally consistent, and a lot of fun to visit.

amazing work

Author: jomorris from United States
28 February 2006

A movie for pet bird owners and animal lovers. This is an amazing movie where birds are the actors. The effort and skill to make this movie was something else. Its doesn't have a complex plot. If you are looking for something deep and moving then go some where else, after all you are watching birds. Young children and bird lovers will really enjoy this. It's refreshing to see a movie that doesn't rely on CGI or camera tricks. The movie is a sort of melodrama about Bill and Coo and their town which is menaced by a evil crow. The is an older movie and does not seem to be available on DVD, which is a shame because it is very unique.

Great classic!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
27 July 2005

An amazing little adventure is the film Bill and Coo! In this underrated classic you see so many birds doing so many things its unbelievable! Its really incredible seeing these little animals do all of these activities. There are many different kinds of species of birds here like the Ravens and Parakeets and among many other kinds. What is really good about this little film is that each bird has a character! The little guys are just adorable nd so cute in My opinion. If you like to see movies that focus on animals that do all kinds of thing that'll make you laugh and would love to see a film that doesn't even touch CGI then I strongly recommend that you watch this classic today!