IMDb > It's a Wonderful Life (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 34 of 73: [Prev][29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [Next]

A classic film with a powerful message

Author: Damon Day
9 March 2014

I was never much of a fan of older movies, especially not movies as old as It's a Wonderful Life. Being the ignorant teenager I was, I was turned away from the black and white film. The only other film I had ever seen in black and white was 12 Angry Men, which I had to see for my American government class. Although I surprisingly really enjoyed that film, I was in no hurry to see another like it.

Years later, while going through a rough time in my life, I came across this movie on this very website. I had known the film existed for years, but upon reading the IMDb page I became curious. Maybe it was just because I was lacking direction in life needed an inspiring message, or the fact it was one of the most redone plots in cinema history. Whatever it was, I set all my ignorance aside, looked the full movie up online and gave it a watch.

The outcome was nothing short of life changing. George Bailey (James Stewart) was a very likable character, which made him easy to feel for throughout the movie. The other actors were great as well, making the film feel natural. Hailing from a small town myself, I could relate the family-like atmosphere of the townsfolk. Capra did an excellent job at capturing that quality.

But what truly made the film the greatest of greats was the fact it delivered a message we can all truly relate to and appreciate. It was a message that left me feeling that maybe my life wasn't so bad after all. It left me feeling I had purpose.

This film now holds a special place in my soul and I've grown to greatly enjoy classic films, possibly even more so than films today. If I were to recommend just one film for everyone to see before they died, without any shadow of a doubt my answer would be Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life.

Love this movie

Author: msmeow00 from United States
23 February 2014

This is my favorite movie of all time. I just saw a school do the play and they did just as an excellent job as the movie. My cousin does a radio show of this play also and thy do an excellent job. I like the message of the movie and how everyone came together at the end to help. It also shows how mean some people can be so they can get what they want, but it does not help them as people will turn away from you like what Potter tried to do to George with the missing money. I like how they brought Mary and George together and especially like the dance scene when they fell in the pool and then when they walked home and saw the house that they end up getting. How George stated home so that his brother could go to college, which meant George gave up his dreams for his brother. Showing what like would have been like without George was a scene as it shows that with you around life is good and if some of things did not happen then things and people could be worse off. I also like watching this in the black and white version vs watching the color. The color I think spoils it. The message comes out a lot better in Black and White.

Wonderful indeed

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
22 January 2014

Like many people I had heard about this film and seen the parodies or things inspired by it but had never sat down to watch the actual film.

However now I am pleased to say that I can understand why this film is so beloved by people and continues to stand the test of time. It's now not just one of my favourite Christmas films but one of my favourite films of all time.

It has everything. It has a strong story (inspired by a Christmas card no less), heart and mixes comedy and drama effortlessly. It's also a beautiful love story between Mary and George as well as showing us the importance of friendship and loyalty.

I can't fault this film - wonderful.

The Great Inspirational Masterpiece

Author: cjkelley333 from United States
10 January 2014

There are some films that I have trouble writing a review of because of their greatness. Frank Capra's masterpiece It's A Wonderful Life is one of those beautiful masterpieces. It's difficult to make a normal review about a film such as this. It's rare that a masterpiece as great as this is shown to the world. Few characters and stories are as engaging as George Bailey (James Stewart) or his story. This movie deserves a commentary rather than an actual review. The movie gets everything right in telling this story. George Bailey gets an opportunity that would benefit every person who has ever lived- he gets to see what the world would have been like without him. George is the perfect character for this journey. He is the closest to being a real person out of every other character I've ever seen in cinema, even Rocky Balboa. George Bailey is full of love, kindness, and optimism, and he has dreams of going places and doing big things. However, he is unable to achieve these things, and gives them up to help his family and friends. We all can relate to this kind of disappointments, and they can make us all better people. And he is obviously disappointed when he makes these decisions, but he ultimately does the right thing. Then there comes a time where he is desperate. George is a good person, but he despairs when he has upset everyone he knows and is in danger of going out of business and going to jail. He is shattered, and decides to kill himself. George has been such an optimist the entire movie, that seeing him despair is truly disheartening, and yet it's believable when he falls apart because George is so human and capable of anger and sadness. But when his guardian angel Clarence (Henry Travers) shows him what the world would have been like without him, he thinks. He realizes how many people he's affected, how many lives he's touched. Because he loves people so much, seeing his loved ones not recognize him is terrifying. After this night, he learns how wonderful his life is, and how much he alone has touched so many others. This message and journey is more inspirational than those of any other movie I've ever seen. Jimmy Stewart is George Bailey. He plays this brilliantly written character with absolute conviction and love. Few actors have felt as real as Stewart. He talked like a real person when he acted. He stuttered like a real person, and didn't always think through what he said, just like a real person. He gives a chilling performance, one of the greatest in any film. George Bailey is It's A Wonderful Life, just as Rocky Balboa is Rocky. He is part of this amazing story, backed up by an outstanding supporting cast, including Lionel Barrymore as Mr. Potter (one of cinema's greatest and most despicable villains), and Henry Travers as Clarence. No film could ask for more. A+

Good Timeless Movie

Author: LATAUNYA WINTERS from United States
29 December 2013

I have loved looking at this movie. It gets better with time. A good moral message. The days of good story lines are gone. This movie gives you the warm hometown feelings that are needed at the Holiday Season time of year.I have loved looking at this movie. It gets better with time. A good moral message. The days of good story lines are gone. This movie gives you the warm hometown feelings that are needed at the Holiday Season time of year.I have loved looking at this movie. It gets better with time. A good moral message. The days of good story lines are gone. This movie gives you the warm hometown feelings that are needed at the Holiday Season time of year.I have loved looking at this movie. It gets better with time. A good moral message. The days of good story lines are gone. This movie gives you the warm hometown feelings that are needed at the Holiday Season time of year.

Wholesome and eye opening

Author: exelmanagement from United States
20 December 2013

What would the world be like without you? A question many of us take for granted or even don't understand.

This movie not only touches on the fact that each one of our lives are so intertwined that when you remove a single link, the whole chain falls apart, but also it touches on the importance of family, caring for others, and the most important fact, that without God, our lives are meaningless.

Harry Bailey, Played by Jimmy Stewart, is feeling like hes more of a burden than a blessing, but through the grace of God, he is given a rare gift...a gift to see what the world would be like had he never been born.

This journey is guided by the often misguided angel, Clarence. Who, while he doesn't have his wings yet, is still the perfect one to guide Harry along the way. The fact that a sub-par angel can open the eyes of a 'sub-par' man, is a point that is often missed by viewers. It shows that no one is perfect, but everyone, no matter how imperfect, can still help others.

A must watch for everyone.

Bailey Battles The Bully Banker

Author: Ryan Ellis from Toronto, Canada
19 December 2013

George Bailey shouldn't complain. Yes, he desperately wants to get out of his one-horse town and see the world, but he's got a gorgeous wife, a herd of rambunctious kids, a big house, runs his own business, his brother is a war hero, and he even scrounges up enough time to build a model bridge in his living room. The life! It's wonderful!

Okay, it's not all sunshine and lollipops. George (played so memorably by Jimmy Stewart) must go head-to-head with bully banker Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) on a daily basis. Potter wants to own the town of Bedford Falls and it seems like he's one man away from achieving that goal. It's not like the family business (the Bailey Bros Building & Loan) would flourish---or even survive---without George. Absent-minded Uncle Billy (Thomas Mitchell) would ruin the place within minutes if he was put in charge.

It's gotta wear on a guy to take on a money-grubbing banker when that banker's morals are at pre-redemption Ebezener Scrooge levels. After Uncle Billy stupidly puts a large sum of dollars into the hands of the enemy (on Christmas Eve, no less), George feels he'll be blamed and finds himself in a suicidal bout of depression. Along comes a simpleton angel (Uncle Billy's counterpart, perhaps?) to show him a glimpse of what the town would be like if George had never existed.

You know this story, obviously. Everybody does. Either you buy the cornpone or you don't. Some of director Frank Capra's projects lay it on too thick, but this movie balances quaint charm and epic darkness. The American Film Institute clearly loved it because it was in the Top 20 of both their 1998 and 2007 Top 100 lists. I say this one belongs in the Top 5. I may not believe in angels, but I do believe in a movie that can still wring tears out of my eyes after so many Christmas viewings. It's a keeper!

If this briefly wonderful review made you say "more!", check out the website I share with my wife (www.top100project.com) and go to the "Podcasts" section for our 52-minute It's A Wonderful Life 'cast...and many others. Or find us on Itunes under "The Top 100 Project".

Still the best film ever made...

Author: fergee01 from United Kingdom
11 December 2013

In an era where CGI dominates and film budgets are ever increasing it's refreshing to watch a movie with heart that is uplifting, and is still as relevant today as it was when it was made in 1946.

I have watched this film countless times, both in the original black and white (which I prefer) and colour and I have to say it is my favourite movie of all time. I think it's because I believe in the innate goodness and kindness of all human beings, and the need for us all to appreciate what and who we have in our lives.

James Stuart is on fire in this film and the way the film builds up to the point of him being on the verge of taking his own life is superb. It sets the scene beautifully laying out all the traits of a good hard working honest man and the relationships he has with the people of his town, and the various crossroads in his life where he has to make life changing decisions.

Stuart perfectly portrays the desperation of a man who realises what joy he had in his life only to throw it away, and his need to get it back at all costs.

Lionel Barrymore plays Potter superbly, the man with only money on his mind hell bent on closing down Bailey Building and Loan and squeezing as much money from the residents of Bedford Falls as possible.

Frank Capra's ability to show the good in people whilst also highlighting the difficulties of life is second to none. This film along with Mr deeds goes to town, and Mr Smith goes to Washington (again starring Stuart)are essential viewing, in fact anything made in the 30's or 40's by this man is superb! All in all a truly WONDERFUL film that lifts my spirits no matter how many times I watch it. If you haven't seen it it's a must watch!

Its a Wonderful Life

Author: MsBlueKatt from United States
2 December 2013

This is my favorite movie of all time. I can watch it any time of year. Jimmy Stewart is perfect in his role. It gives such a unique slice of American life in the 40's. Lionel Barrymore plays the town banker and does such a good job that for years I wouldn't watch any show with him in it. Donna Reed is so young and pretty - truly the beginning of her career. Ward Bond and Gloria Grahame are outstanding in their roles. Many established character actors are in this movie (Uncle Billy, Ma Baily). The scene where George gets his ear slapped by the pharmacist (Mr. Gower) is so hard to watch - George cared for everyone in that town. And at the end when Harry (George's brother) says George is the richest man in town I always cry -- even after seeing this film over and over.

I love this movie!!

Butterfly Effect Indeed

Author: Cyberax --- from nowhere
17 November 2013

I this this movie is one of the greatest ever.In that type of movie where a genius actor collaborates with one of the greatest directors ever ... certainly we'll have a great movie. A butterfly effect made with such realism... full of originality and a simple message presented in a complex way ...that which tattoo in in mind: "It's a wonderful life,yeah,right,your life!". If is any moment in your life that makes you fell you aren't good enough for this world ... thing again , maybe you're wrong , but if were not wrong ...you can do better , so work hard to make you life better and love every moment of your precious time that you have in this world . We all fall at some moment in life , more important is to rise again ,and the more people we helped , the more will help us to raise again. A MUST SEE MOVIE!