IMDb > It's a Wonderful Life (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 34 of 71: [Prev][29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [Next]

The best film ever made.

Author: anonymous
10 July 1999

I love today's movies and today's actors. But if I were to name my favorite movie of all time, I would have to go back to more than 50 years ago to a film called "It's a Wonderful Life". This movie has become a holiday classic, but it's much more. A movie that makes us realize the value of life, family and friends transcends any season. This film could have come off as overly sentimental had it not been for the superb acting of what I believe is the best actor of all time, namely Jimmy Stewart. His performance, along with a brilliant Donna Reed, makes this a film for all ages and all times.

One of the all-time greats

Author: Neil Christiansen
7 June 1999

After a life full of disappointments and facing a jail sentence for fraud,a young man decides to end his life Christmas Eve.Due to heavenly interference he's given the opportunity to see what impact his life has made on his fellow man.

A great fantasy-drama which contains perhaps James Stewart's best performance.The other actors turn in marvelous work,especially Lionel Barrymore as the "Scrooge-like" banker. This movie is Capra's masterpiece,a movie which gets better with each viewing.The nightmarish scenes where Stewart is given the chance to see what life would have been without him,is so masterfully executed that you really learn at the films conclusion that: After all "it's a wonderful life"

the top of my list

Author: Shaun Small from Mississauga, Ontario
3 June 1999

Quit simply the greatest movie ever made. No other movie captures the qualities of living and appreciating all that you do for the others around you. Great acting, direction, story and message. "No man is a failure who has friends." Jimmy Stewart gives his greatest performance and how he or this movie didn't win an Oscar is beyond me. A movie that should be watched more than once. A classic.

I love this movie!!!

Author: Kazuhisa Tsuruta (pho_v@hotmail.com) from Kyoto, Japan
20 May 1999

This is the best movie I've ever seen. After watching this movie, I thought a lot about life, friendship, love and compassion. I tried to figure out what made life wonderful. I was not so interetsed in this movie, but my favorite actor, I knew that Chris O'donnell referred to this movie as his favorite one. Now I want to count this great movie as the favorite one, too. Life is absolutely wonderful.

Thank God for Frank Capra!

Author: Embley from canada
10 May 1999

Capra made many films that were really good, but It's a Wonderful Life is a truly GREAT film. I have seen it an uncountable number of times and it never fails to bring a tear to my eye. The story is well crafted and the film brilliantly composed. It shows so well the dark side of human nature and also how it shines so very bright. I will watch this movie regularly for the rest of my life.

Life IS wonderful

Author: anonymous from St.Jerome, Quebec, Canada
23 April 1999

It's a wonderful life is ,in my opinion,one of the best Christmas movie.Even if that film is over 50 years old,everybody have seen and will seen it for a long time.Those films don't seem to get old.James Stewart plays a depressed man who try to kill himself and he is saved by and angel by showing how the life would be if he never been born.The story is wonderful and the plays of the actors are wonderful.A very good movie.

Just try to hold back the waterworks at the end, I dare you

Author: Kyle Milligan (toldyaso@planeteer.com) from Toronto, Canada
22 February 1999

To my utter dismay and disbelief, I recently discovered that a friend from work hated this movie.

This friend, whom we will call "Jean", says she saw it for the first time recently and absolutely hated it. "What a crappy movie" or something to that effect.

Not that it's important how old Jean is, but let's just say she's had ample opportunities to view the film in previous years, and by her own account she feels her parents had the good taste to protect her from this film.

I can only react in shock as one of my most beloved film experiences is torn asunder in such a harsh way. But perhaps I'm blindsided by the tradition of the film, with it being a staple for Christmas fare. Maybe I'm being merely nostalgic. Maybe I can't see it for what it is.

I tell you something dear friends, I hated Christmas this year.

It seemed to be one obligation after another that nearly stamped out any Christmas cheer I could usually muster with the greatest of ease. My beloved wife and I were busier than ever before and didn't even find the time to put up a Christmas tree, much less enjoy "It's A Wonderful Life".

You know something, I think it's because we didn't take the time to enjoy the finer points of Christmas, and part of that is Frank Capra's delightful film, which I've just acquired on DVD and plan to watch just as soon as I'm able, despite my hectic schedule.

I don't know if Jean will ever give this film another chance or not, I hope she does. Because nothing on film can compare to the touching scene at the end, where George Bailey discovers just what kind of an impact he's had on the lives of the friends around him. Just try to fight those tears, but it won't make you feel any less choked up, no matter how many times you see it, whether you start at the end or not, it doesn't matter. C'mon Jean.

Never fails to move me to tears, the best of all films.

Author: Kenneth Wilson (wilsonk@tcnj.edu) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
17 October 1998

Frank Capra has created a film for the ages with "It's a

Wonderful Life." The story chronicles a man, George Bailey,

who seems to have lost everything that is important in life. With the assistance of his guardian angel, Clarence (the role of Henry Travers' career), George is shown how important his

life has been to those that are dearest to him. The film

captures the true spirit of the holiday season without

appearing overly sappy or contrived. A universal story for all mankind, "It's a Wonderful Life" is the rarest of all films: a

film that improves upon repeated viewings.

It's without doubt the ultimate feel-good movie

Author: Graham Kavanagh from Dublin, Ireland
9 October 1998

Anytime I'm felling down I'll put on "It's A Wonderful Life" and just forget about the things that were bothering me. To me that's the power of this exceptional film. It has an amazing way of putting things into perspective for me and that's why it's my favorite film. Of course the film also contains some of the finest acting I've ever seen. It's not just the entralling performance from James Stewart but the richness in depth of all the character actors no matter how insignificant their parts may seem.

one of the best

Author: dragos_parazitever from Romania
27 June 2009

yes indeed its one of the best movies that goes down in history...yes..you're no man until you have friends....its stunning how one can change the others life by simply his presence and moreover sometimes his actions driven by his judgment of things....clearly the best part of this movie is the 4th quarter...George Bailey is a troubled man because of his current financial situation.....and the angel comes down to show him how the others life would be if he never existed....we really should stop and think what we have done in the past...and know that we've all changed the life's of others...maybe u're giving an advice to someone to go someplace and there he will meet a person who will change his life for good of that fellow...the angel is a psychological creature that we all have in mind...by reflecting on our good things that we've done in our past we should really feel better...everyone carries this angel but not everyone uses it....