IMDb > It's a Wonderful Life (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 32 of 67: [Prev][27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [Next]

Absolutely Incredible

Author: harleykidd55 from United States
5 July 2006

This is the most inspiring, true to heart movie that I have ever enjoyed. It is truly a work of love and passion and will be remembered throughout filming history. It has such a touching and moving storyline and catches the audience in a sort of tearful melancholy stateof mind every time it is watched. I have seen this movie no fewer than100 times and discover new idea's and encouragements from it every time I watch it.

I don't think that I can truly get into the Christmas mood without enjoying this movie each year. The funny thing about the movie is that I watched scenes from it several times, years ago, when I was channel surfing and didn't stop to enjoy it's warmth. I don't recall why i finally decided to "stop" and watch the movie but ever since that night I have been thankful for the pleasure it has brought to me and my family, friends and associates!

Just the Greatest!

Author: scottellenwebster from United Kingdom
20 May 2006

The only movie that makes me cry every single time I watch it. Just thinking of the ending makes me tearful. What can I say about this movie. It is just perfect. Story, acting, cinematography, casting and script. Just perfect. For emotion I would say the best movie ever. When I think of Jimmy Stewart this is the movie I think of. It never bores me and is a joy to watch every single time it is shown. Due to its renaissance in recent years TV has been the medium to see the film but we make a special trip as a family every year to go and watch it at the picture house. this not only gives the movie more intimacy but also zones you into the tone of the film. It is a gem, a legend and by far and away my favourite film of all time.

One of the greatest films of all time

Author: MCMLXXVI from Sweden
11 April 2005

It's hard to capture exactly why It's a Wonderful Life is such a fantastic film. On the surface, its sentimentality may seem overboard, its view of the world grossly idealised, but somehow it all comes together perfectly. I had for many years not bothered watching it, as it is portrayed as the stereotypical Christmas movie (not a genre I have any particular fondness for). After finally getting around to seeing this film several years ago, I went straight out and bought it on tape. Likewise, the first time I saw it on DVD I purchased it straight away. This is both an uplifting and edifying film to watch.

This film had a profound effect upon the way I see the world. If ever there was the perfect role model for how to behave like a decent human being, it is George Bailey.

This is, and always shall be one of my top ten films of all time. If you have never seen it I highly recommend doing so. Don't be put off by its age, it is one of the truly timeless works of cinema.

As good as it deserves

Author: Ertan Asan from Istanbul, Turkey
12 January 2003

When I first saw this movie I was rather a teenage kid, I don't remember my age then, but I think I was 13 or 14. It was during the time of one channel TV days. I watched it with great pleasure, without knowing it was one of the best movies ever made. Couldn't forget it. Now I am a computer programmer of age 30, searched the net and downloaded it and watched again. Let me say that "with almost the same pleasure and tears".

I think this movie has a great effect in my good-hearted, honest, compassionate nature. I find many common senses in my general attitude with George Bailey.

excellent quintessential film about life

Author: saimahuq from malden, ma
2 January 2003

This isn't really a Christmas movie, the story just takes place around Christmas. George Bailey has always wanted to be an explorer, but instead he lives in the same little town his whole life, marries his childhood sweetheart, and takes over his dad's savings and loan association, Now he is in danger of going bankrupt, through a mishap that is used to the advantage of the local evil codger and main competition to Bailey. Despondent, he decides to jump off a bridge and end it all.

Enter Clarence, a student guardian angel who is trying to earn his wings. Saving George Bailey will get him those wings, if only he can show George how the world would have been had he never been born. He reveals the impact George has had on others -- even saving lives --- to prove he is not a failure and very much needed and loved.

Keep an eye out for the grown-up Alfalfa (from the Little Rascals) as the jealous guy at the high-school dance who opens up the gym's swimming pool so the dancers fall in. It's priceless!

It's a Wonderful Movie¡

Author: Francisco Flores from Ecuador
25 December 2002

This classic narrates the story of George Bailey a businessman that after several troubles with his work and family convince himself that the world would be better if he never born, but an angel saves him and show him the reality of his wish.

I personally think that this is the best black and white movie of all times, tittle shared with DR STRANGELOVE & WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOLF?. Apart of the wonderful cast performance is visually perfect, it's the kind of movie that cheer you up, also is very reflective, just think about this: `How many lives we change in our road and we don't even know how precious we are'.

Celebrated all your upcoming Christmas with this classic that has become in part of the celebrations and as long as NBC keeps showing more generations will discover the value of this movie. ………. 10/10.

It's a Wonderful Movie

Author: Pimpin` Critic 69 from Your Critic of Critics
20 December 2002

Frank Capra's masterpiece picture "It's a Wonderful Life" is an amazing film which deals with such an important value in life. Life itself of course! It's amazing how George (played wonderfully by Jimmy Stewart)has affected so many lives. And his life is as simple as all of ours. So this is a movie that not only can you relate with but makes you think about how valuable life really is.

4(****)out of 4(****)stars

A MASTERPIECE!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE:) Remember that every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings!

Atta boy, Capra!

Author: gsx_tuner from TX
19 December 2002

This movie is almost perfect. It is infinitely easy to suspend one's disbelief and be completely immersed in this movie. You forget that those are actors up there on the screen (with the exception of the young Ms Grimes. I'm afraid that I must agree with a previous comment. Surely there were better child actresses available.) Noting that exception, I must say that the rest of the casting was perfect.

I'm not going to rehash the plot. I just wanted to make some observances.

Possible spoiler:

A dissenting comment was written by a person that surely must be extremely naive. It is as follows:

"But the worst flaw? THEY NEVER GET BACK THE MONEY THAT WAS STOLEN. It is morally unacceptable that this guy doesn't get punished and the townspeople have to rush in with a bailout."

Don't you know, young sir, that for those of us who attempt to live our lives correctly, there are many others living around us that get away with murder and are never punished or found out. The good people of the town of Bedford Falls didn't know what happened to the money. They only knew that they loved George Bailey and were willing to help him out of a bad situation. I wish all the miscreants of this world would be punished. Sadly, that's not the case, so you must give Capra credit for being realistic here.

In spite of the untalented young Ms. Grimes, in spite of the water that was supposed to be a rushing river looking like a studio tank that Clarence and George jumped into, I still give this movie a perfect 10.

Absolutely fantastic, feel-good stuff!!

Author: CHRIS GREER from Newtownards, Co Down
13 November 2002

I have seen this wonderful film 11 times-this Christmas (surely it should be the law that British TV shows it every Christmas!) I will be watching it with a tear in my eye, because, at Christmas last year, I was depressed, and thought, like George, of killing myself. Then an angel-in my case a gorgeous girl- came onto the scene, lodged herself deep in my heart, and we hope to get engaged at Christmas!!! I'd LOVE to officially ask her to marry me when this film's on!! Then, it REALLY would be "A Wonderful Life"!

Still wonderful, 55 years on

Author: gaityr from United Kingdom
12 February 2002

There are many things to rave about in this wonderful classic movie: the competent direction, the detailed creation of a town on a 4-acre lot, the sheer amount of hard work, love and inventiveness that went into its conception and completion.

I wish, however, to restrict my rave to the (previously unrecognised) dramatic abilities of the lead actor, James Stewart. If there's one reason to watch IAWL again and again and again (all the other wonderful factors notwithstanding), it's for the amazing performance Stewart turns in as George Bailey. The nuance and subtlety captured in the actor's performance is wonderful, just as the desperation he shows at the end of the film when he's running through Potterville looking for traces of his old life. Watching Stewart play college-age at the beginning of the film takes a little getting used to, but it's the end of the film that truly establishes him as one of the finest actors of his generation. His performance is an absolute marvel, and just as it's a crime that Cary Grant never received an Oscar for his amazing work, the fact that Stewart didn't win an Oscar for this shows how meaningless award ceremonies can be.

A beautiful, heartwarming movie. 9/10.