IMDb > It's a Wonderful Life (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 31 of 75: [Prev][26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [Next]

it's a wonderful film

Author: guy anisimov from Austria
19 February 2007

wow how i enjoyed this! i really don't know how to start describing what i feel about this beautiful film but its just that i am in about the same point in my life as George Bailey is in most of 'its a wonderful life' so you probably understand why I'm so excited.not knowing exactly what i want to study and where and also having so many things i have to consider and so many things i have to decide if i wanna give up or keep, thats basically what is happening with the main character in this wonderful film...

the story that is told to us is about the whole life of a guy that owns a heart of gold, throughout the movie were being told about his whole life since he was a child and until a point where he's considering about taking his own life away.i really don't want to say too much because i think it will just spoil the whole experience for a first time viewer after reading this.go watch this only knowing that it is a very old film that is considered to be very good, you will never expect a 1946 film to be made like this was made just as you will never expect it to be as enjoying as this is.

i watched it by myself but i can really imagine that watching this with someone you love or someone close to you will make it so much better.it certainly deserves its spot on this site's top 250 list and i truly hope that more and more people will watch it so its recognition among top movies will be much higher.

My Favorite Movie of All Time!

Author: hoffmankm from United States
27 January 2007

This is not only the best feel good movie of ever, but my personal favorite movie of all time. The story of the movie is great, and the moral that goes along with it is excellent. The movie makes you feel as if you are a very important person, and it is one of the very few movies that can do that. It was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, and didn't win any, which is a little sad considering it is an absolutely fabulous movie. In this day and age when movies are all about sex, drugs, and alcohol, I know that I can watch this and feel a lot better about cinema, and also feel better about myself. The acting in this movie was so great and the characters were so cute, sweet, and lovable. But some of the characters were mean, but were still well acted. This movie is a great Christmas classic, and in my opinion it is so completely flawless.

It is a wonderful life!

Author: Rhiannon from United Kingdom
7 August 2006

(Please note: this may contain a spoiler) This film epitomises what a good film should be - humoured, heartfelt, funny and touching. 'It's a wonderful life' is not only viewed as a classic but also lives up to the audiences' expectations - a truly satisfying experience.

Never having previously experiencing Capra's work I chose to rent this film - arguably one of Capra's finest achievements.

The film follows lovable character 'George Bailey' a man whose life is filled with love and friendship. Like many people, he does not always realise the great support and affection he holds with the people close to him. Bailey was an ambitious, determined child with hopes of building bridges and buildings, touring the world and seeing famous sights. Bailey's dreams come back to earth when his father suddenly dies and he is asked to fill his place.

Slowly, Goerge builds a new life with his family (and of course..the girl!). They don't have much - for Bailey's heart is slightly over-sized and his business makes little profit but does much good for the citizens of his town. But things don't always go smoothly and when Bailey's uncle misplaces a large sum of money, they face severe financial crisis, as well as criminal.

Bailey's life has apparently come crashing down around him..until he meets somebody - an angel to guide him on his way. The Angel shows Bailey what his life would have been like had he never been born. Bailey discovers unnerving things - his town is completely changed and nobody knows him - they shy away from him. His family doesn't exist and his wife is a lonely librarian..George Bailey's stark realisation - his life made great impacts on the people of the town..his brother didn't survive - because he wasn't there to save him. Bailey realises - his life impacts so many things - and if he wasn't there, everything would be different..much worse.

This film is perfect - not too overpowering to watch and not too bland. Stewart's character shines as a lovable and sweet man - caring, sensitive and completely selfless. Capra's ingenious movie brings to light a very good topic - how one single person's life impacts the people he/she meets and knows...how everything can be so completely different - how fate and reality go hand in hand.

The production is fantastic as is every other aspect of this picture - unique and memorable. Even in black and white! A must-see for all the family, for every film buff and cynic - children and adults alike - a truly memorable piece of cinema that will forever shine a true mastery.

excellent quintessential film about life

Author: saimahuq from malden, ma
2 January 2003

This isn't really a Christmas movie, the story just takes place around Christmas. George Bailey has always wanted to be an explorer, but instead he lives in the same little town his whole life, marries his childhood sweetheart, and takes over his dad's savings and loan association, Now he is in danger of going bankrupt, through a mishap that is used to the advantage of the local evil codger and main competition to Bailey. Despondent, he decides to jump off a bridge and end it all.

Enter Clarence, a student guardian angel who is trying to earn his wings. Saving George Bailey will get him those wings, if only he can show George how the world would have been had he never been born. He reveals the impact George has had on others -- even saving lives --- to prove he is not a failure and very much needed and loved.

Keep an eye out for the grown-up Alfalfa (from the Little Rascals) as the jealous guy at the high-school dance who opens up the gym's swimming pool so the dancers fall in. It's priceless!

The Best Movie Ever Made?

Author: rhythmwiz (9702702t@student.gla.ac.uk) from Falkirk, Scotland
3 April 2002

OK, it has it's flaws, like every movie ever made, but this has fewer than most, and, surely, it's the greatest feel-good movie ever made? It's simple, innocent, and wonderful. Great performances, great story - it's everything the movies should be, and it leaves you feeling good about movies, about the human spirit, and about life when you've seen it. I love this movie! Why can't they all be this good?

A Different Take (mild spoilers)

Author: kensmark from Right Behind You
1 April 2002

I love this movie and can watch it again and again. To me, this movie is intentionally bittersweet and ironic.

George Bailey's life is, or isn't, wonderful, depending on how you look at it, or how he looks at it. I don't think the movie's purpose is a sappy homily about how George will never be poor so long as he has friends. I think it's more like Voltaire's "Candide". Life is difficult, and often unpleasant, and you have to work to make it worthwhile, but the rewards of life are not unattainable or small.

I think "It's a Wonderful Life" makes a great companion to "Shenandoah", another James Stewart film, one which touches on the same theme from another perspective. "It's a Wonderful Life" is a happier film, and hence is easier to watch over and over, and it's one of the few holiday classics that really deserves repeat viewings.

Nothing more to be said

Author: mfrost71w from Kent, England
1 March 2002

There's no point in commenting on this film; it's simply the best thing to come out of Hollywood. For me it's a barometer - Everybody I like seems to love Wonderful Life while the few people I dont get on with dislike it.

As for Jimmy Stewart, is it a coincidence he plays the two nicest men in the world, George Bailey and Elwood P. Dowd?

Still wonderful, 55 years on

Author: gaityr from United Kingdom
12 February 2002

There are many things to rave about in this wonderful classic movie: the competent direction, the detailed creation of a town on a 4-acre lot, the sheer amount of hard work, love and inventiveness that went into its conception and completion.

I wish, however, to restrict my rave to the (previously unrecognised) dramatic abilities of the lead actor, James Stewart. If there's one reason to watch IAWL again and again and again (all the other wonderful factors notwithstanding), it's for the amazing performance Stewart turns in as George Bailey. The nuance and subtlety captured in the actor's performance is wonderful, just as the desperation he shows at the end of the film when he's running through Potterville looking for traces of his old life. Watching Stewart play college-age at the beginning of the film takes a little getting used to, but it's the end of the film that truly establishes him as one of the finest actors of his generation. His performance is an absolute marvel, and just as it's a crime that Cary Grant never received an Oscar for his amazing work, the fact that Stewart didn't win an Oscar for this shows how meaningless award ceremonies can be.

A beautiful, heartwarming movie. 9/10.

Wonderful, brings happy tears.

Author: insanitatsu from Vancouver Canada
20 January 2002

I am fall in love with this movie when I first watched it. Now,I watch it over and over. though, it brings fresh tear every single time.

Great movie to watch in the morning to have a good start for your day. It's a guaranteed happy tear movie.

Oh! What a fabu movie

Author: Stella from Manayunk, Pennsylvania
6 January 2002

This is why I love Christmas. People gathering and renewing life with hapiness abound! Jimmy Stewart is phenomenal and this movie will send you to bed with a much improved outlook on life! I recommend that everyone watch this movie every year for life!