IMDb > It's a Wonderful Life (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 28 of 67: [Prev][23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [Next]

It's what we all would want to be like

Author: jimladdy from United Kingdom
23 December 2007

This film has been screened and looked at so many times that you would think there is nothing more to say about it. I thought the same, although I always loved it I'd gotten so used to the film that it was almost background noise once a year, until I saw it on the big screen. A local cinema screened this one Christmas and I happened past, and for some reason paid my fee and went in.

Wow!

It really is a film that couldn't be made in modern times, we are too cynical, and what a shame that is. This is a total tour-de-force of what makes a man and the events, painful and sweet, that get him there. George Bailey is the everyman, played brilliantly by Jimmy Stewart, and never has anyone been identified with so much on screen by everyone who watches it. I've heard the argument from various parties that the film is too sentimental and sickly sweet, and in any other movie they may be right. Not so here, the film works somehow, it is sentimental, but it is beautiful and moral and life enhancing. I know I haven't said much about the plot, I don't have to, just watch it and if you've got a soul you'll love it. To quote Stan Lee "Nuff Said!".

A different view

Author: tcomx from United Kingdom
17 December 2007

Firstly before everyone has a go, I am not in any way knocking the film or the quality of it. In fact its a shame films today are not made with the same love, care and attention to detail. I also agree that it is one of the greatest films ever made, its just I see the film a little different when taken as a whole.

Where most people see this film as a happy one for all the obvious reasons, including that ending, I see it as one of the most depressing and sad stories ever made. Ask yourself the question, why did he want to commit suicide in the first place. The reason is that throughout the first half of the film/story, all you see is everyone doing what they want, including his brother. Whereas he is forced via circumstance or emotional blackmail to stay and cater to the wants of everyone else. Where were the 'friends and family' when things got bad, why didn't anyone see what was going on. The main reason was cause they were more concerned with themselves. The outcome of all this is the famous bridge seen. And in my eyes, even Clarence ended up using him to get his wings.

By showing him what life for all those he has helped, would be like if he hadn't existed, is if anything, another case of emotional blackmail. He is again made to feel bad and ungrateful for his lot.

My point is, why didn't anyone ask him what he wanted and then help him go for it etc.

My final comment is, when you next watch this film, or read this comment, take a look around you and see if anyone you know and care about is quietly sinking and give them a helping hand before it gets too bad. The chances are if they are your friend or part of your family, they have already helped you and now they quietly need your help.

What it is to be loved

Author: kevinmcnally06 from United States
14 December 2007

So much has been said that all I can say is this : If you can watch Geroge Bailey charge down Main Street yelling, "Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan" without your eyes filling up, you don't know what it is to be human. Well, I'll guess I'll say more, because some silly rule prevents me from being succinct. "It's A Wonderful Life" shows us that we are all heroes, in our own right. How many lives does each of our own touch? Like George Bailey, I've wondered if everyone would be better off if I'd never been born. Thanks to Frank Capra, I know what an awful, selfish feeling this is. Here's your hat, what's your hurry?

Colorized Version VS Black & White

Author: blue-7 from Salt Lake City
9 December 2007

I picked up Paramount's double DVD for "It's a Wonderful Life" to upgrade my earlier Republic release. This two disc set comes with both the original B&W edition and a newly colorized version on a separate disc. This is not the first colorization job on this film. Turner attempted it some years back and both James Stewart and director Frank Capra were appalled at the results. They did everything in their power to discourage this practice. Well the technique for colorization has greatly improved since those early attempts and I thought it worth taking another look at the results. It is quite amazing -- yet after watching it for about one hour I changed to the black & white version and have NO desire to watch it in color. Flesh colors are on the orange side and everyone has the exact same tone of color. The beautiful shades found in the b&w version are far more effective. Let's face it -- if a film was originally designed and shot in color then it should be seen that way. It's the same with watching a wide screen film in full screen or a full screen blown up to fill a 16:9 wide screen television set. The film itself remains one of my all time favorites -- and I will continue appreciate it in black and white!

Best film ever made

Author: laura1-07 from United Kingdom
8 November 2007

What can I say about this film that has not already been said. It is quite simply the best film ever made containing the best performance ever from James Stewart.

I love to watch it at least once a year (particular at Christmas) as the story is so uplifting and beautiful. Lets face it it's been copied enough times. It's an amazing thought to consider how many lives our lives may touch and affect and this film portrays that point perfectly.

It's one of the few films that makes me cry every time especially when it gets to part where George Bailey receives the book from Clarence which says that no man is poor as long as he has friends.

Uplifting and heart-warming tale

Author: vovazhd from United States
20 October 2007

It's a Wonderful Life is one of those movies that is beyond its time, especially in transferring emotions to the audience. The plot is highly sophisticated; it centers around the life of George Bailey, a successful business man that is thrown out of control when financial aspects hinder the progress of his Building and Loan enterprise. The business crisis is the focus of the story, but the majority of it is a laid-back reflection of the good parts of Bailey's life. In the end, Bailey is brought to redemption and sees the world in a new light, ultimately leading to one of the most uplifting endings in any movie.

The cast was perfect all around; there was not a single actor that jumped out as a poor choice. James Stewart shines with the critical role of Bailey. He starts off as a confident and envisioned man, but is eventually consumed by business problems and sees no way out. He completely misses the positive impact that he has made on the community, but reaches a sort of understanding by the end. Stewart is excellent at conveying this development of ideas. Even Mr. Potter, the antagonist of the film, becomes a sympathetic character. Even though he initially comes off as a selfish pest, it is hard not to respect his business achievements and feel sorry that he does not enjoy other company.

The plot is put together so well that it is impossible not to be drawn in, even for modern audiences. The idea of guardian angels watching over us might seem ridiculous, but ends up being an intriguing plot element. The mix of fantasy with reality works out. The camera work, dialog, and way the scenes were set up are surprisingly modern. It does not require the audience to watch the movie from the lens of someone from the 1940's, but rather is a timeless experience that can be enjoyed by families of any generation.

Simply put, I recommend this movie to all people, especially as a family. If you get a chance, it would be best to watch it during the winter holidays because it fits in really nicely with the atmosphere.

best movie ever

Author: nayrn from United States
26 August 2007

Awesome movie! I have seen it so many times. I love it. I thought it was weird it wasn't closer to number 1.It makes me cry when I watch it. And it is just laid out perfectly. I wish people were more like this now. If you haven't seen it you really need to because you have been missing out on what I believe is the best movie ever to be made. The actors are great in it. It makes you feel like it is real. I also like that it was in Black and White. Plus this is how I feel when things seem to be going all wrong. I don't want to give away the movie though so just watch it and you will be glad you did. It makes you feel more alive when the movie is over.

The most magical movie ever..

Author: Mr_White101 from United Kingdom
31 May 2007

It's A Wonderful Life (written December, 2006)

A film which undoubtedly receives the award for the most magical movie ever made, It's A Wonderful Life is a gem to watch on Christmas, and is a brilliant tale of life, hope, family and ultimately, happiness. It is without doubt the best movie to depict the importance of happiness, as the film actually captures happiness and gives it to us every time we are lucky enough to watch it. It is easily the most delightful, joyous piece of cinema ever, and also a fantastic story- it is truly a golden classic. I cannot praise It's A Wonderful Life enough- it is outstanding. I absolutely adore it, and all that it says to us and shows us. This is magic right here people! Frank Capra's absolute classic is, I repeat, the most magical, joyous and delightful film ever, and will remain a classic in every sense.

It's a Wonderful Movie

Author: sausagebrigade from Lockerbie, Scotland
1 August 2003

Jimmy Stewart is fantastic in his most famous movie, a charming American take on A Christmas Carol. There are some very funny and some very dark moments, and they're perfectly balanced, much like the performances. Frank Capra is a little over-ambitious (the early shots of God talking to the angels in heaven is an example) but he knows what the audience will respond to in a way like no other director. It's amazing to think this did poor box office business, but then I guess some people don't know a good thing when they've had it.

Life is Wonderful

Author: r-mcharg
26 July 2003

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

It's A Wonderful Life (1946) Director: Frank Capra Starring: James Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore and Henry Travers

Running Time: 130 minutes

If you don't know a single thing about It's A Wonderful Life then you cannot seriously call yourself a movie lover. But we'll tell you about it anyway. It's a Christmas Classic that has survived criticisms of schmaltzness. And a movie in the 40s being too schmalzy has to be a worry. Anyway heres the story. George Bailey (James Stewart in his signature role) is a man who has put his friends and family before his own happiness his entire life. Whether it is jumping into ice to save his little brother Harry, an act that cost him his hearing in his left ear. Or if it's sacrificing his dream of travelling the world to look after his late father's bank so it can stay in business or so Harry can have a bright future with his wife. He even gave up a lucrative $20,000 a year contract from local miser Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) simply because of the townsfolk he has already helped enough. After all, he built them a bunch of good quality houses, allowing them to leave Potter's slums and enjoy a good life. Whatever the deed George Bailey hasn't thought of himself once in his life. He has dreamt of leaving Bedford Falls but through his own good nature has never been able to. He has settled down with his wife Mary (Donna Reed) and four kids. So when his Uncle Billy `misplaces' $8,000 (Potter finds it, keeps it) George is faced with scandal and prison. He is a man at the end of his tether he takes it out on everyone, even his own family. In the end he is told he is worth more dead than alive and decides to commit suicide on Christmas Eve. Only, that's not the end for right at the beginning of the story we know that an angel is watching over George and it is he who saves George from suicide. The angel is Clarence (Henry Travers) who, as you should know, shows George the good he has done people in his lifetime, starting with a trip to what should be Martini's. We discover that George wasn't there too save his old boss Mr. Gower from accidentally poisoning food through his grief. Then we find out that Harry, who is to be given a medal from the President for bravery in WW2, died when he broke through the ice, because George wasn't there too save him. Bedford Falls is now Pottersville because George wasn't there too battle Potter, Mary ends up an old maid because George wasn't there to love her, Uncle Billy went insane because George wasn't there to help with the business, it goes on and on. When George begs to live again and is re-united with his family there isn't a hard heart in sight. It's A Wonderful Life has many themes of love, friendship, kindness, redemption even just pure coincidence, but there is one clear message running through this dark but magically uplifting Frank Capra Christmas Classic: It truly is a wonderful life.