IMDb > It's a Wonderful Life (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 71: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Sure beats the heck out of modern movies

Author: Andrei Cosma from Cluj-Napoca, Romania
23 January 2016

As I said before, this great title sure beats the heck out of modern movies. Why? Just because it was produced.

I never smiled from ear to ear at another movie like I smiled at this one. For those who are not yet decided whether to see this picture or not, I recommend it.

But first things first. The movie in question, It's a Wonderful Life, is an exceptional piece of 1940's way of thinking on a person who, mainly in this picture, saves his hometown from complete ruin. I guess that is the wish, the hidden wish, of the main character, George Bailey, who, at first doesn't want to be a part of this community after his college graduation.

After all the trouble of Mr. Bailey, the end of the movie can bring some tears to the viewer by showing how a close and united community can help each other out with troubles.

In the end, as I said at the beginning of this small review, this picture bring a lot of joy and smiles to the common viewer and is worth watching, rather than today's movies.

Intrigued

Author: srikanthrey from United States
20 January 2016

I love to watch Frank Capra movies. Comes to It's a Wonderful Life, is best of Capra's movies. I will tell that it's a must watch for everyone. "It's a Wonderful Life" shows a very close match between story and visual world. And, it is an excellent social fantasy on high level. The main thing I understand from the movie is "A man's riches come not from the money he makes but from the friends and family he serves." I want to feel the same thing what world would be like if I had never lived. I am intrigued by the argument about the future of the Building and Loan. Movie clearly expressed the power of the individual by showing what a town, and a nation, would be like if one man had never lived. Kudos to Frank and James......

One of the most beautiful films Struggle

Author: Ahmad-Mohammad from Jordan
19 January 2016

One of the most beautiful films that I saw the heroic role defined by the creator and the James Stewart .

such movies that leave a fingerprint in psychological heats which could not be totally forgotten movie in the splendid from the beginning to the end.

The method of events very great obstacles to the hero - and how it was always stand with the people of the region to serve and protect them from the greed of Mr. Potter .

end that characterized the this creativity my eyes became teary-eyed end of this film .

An all time masterpiece!

Author: promitheas 2003 from Greece
4 January 2016

I have watched the movie twice. The first time i was not prepared for anything. I realized that it was not just a Christmas movie, but also a study on human relationships. It describes how the choices we make in life have an impact to ourselves and to other people, regardless if the choice is what we really want. The true value in life is having people that you love. All the other things, simply do not count, and that's why the choices we make in life, forced or not, false or not, are not so important, given that they do not concern the people we love. Only the choices regarding the people we love must be right and not forced. The second time i watched the movie i cried not only because of it's quality, but also because i had forgotten the above message, and the movie reminded it to me for second time. I decided to write this review in order to never forget it again and say to everyone "do yourself a favor and watch this movie".

The ultimate Christmas movie

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
29 December 2015

George Bailey lives in a small town, Bedford Falls, with his wife and children. He has spent most of his life preserving Bedford Falls' almost idyllic existence and preventing it from effectively being taken over by Mr Potter, the local bigshot. Then one Christmas Eve, George makes a massive blunder, one that has dire financial consequences. He contemplates killing himself, thinking the town and his family would be better off without him...

The Christmas classic. Yes, it's overtly and unashamedly idealistic, sentimental, schmaltzy, emotionally manipulative and a bit cheesy, but it's impossible to dislike. The movie's sheer sweetness, innocence and joyful purpose ensure it hits the spot. Very emotional.

Jimmy Stewart's signature role and the role he was born to perform. I couldn't think of anyone else who could have played George Bailey.

Good supporting cast, especially Donna Reed.

"It's a Wonderful Life" – A Wonderful Timeless Film

Author: natalierosen from United States
26 December 2015

Turning the channels on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas day can be an unrewarding endeavor. The channels are dedicated to a great deal of silliness, infomercials and repeats of news stories seen over and over again.

As luck would have it, though, I tuned onto a film that, yes, I have seen many times before but this time I looked upon it with different, perhaps, more mature eyes. To be honest, there are times when I have not been happy with my life, not happy with the difficulties of aging, losing so many I love and surely not happy I contracted a malady at 5 years of age which no one in this nation, thankfully, need suffer from again. I am glad for them, of course, but honesty must be spoken as I admit I wish I were born a mere six months after a vaccine for my malady was produced. When I kvetch (Yiddish for complain) about it I was told by one wise person in my life that I really should view James Stewart over again as George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" and that it might teach me the essence of what is so valuable about my own life. On Christmas Eve "It's a Wonderful Life" was shown again.

The film speaks to people – really most people – whether one is a believer in a supreme being or not. George Bailey, ready for suicide as his life's events spin out of his control and is ready to jump off a bridge into icy waters below. Ultimately, he is shown by Clarence, his guardian angel, why he should not cease to exist and what life would have been like had he never existed at all; had he not even been born.

George Bailey's life, despite its overwhelmingly disastrous turn of events, counts. Yes, disbelief must be suspended but if one does suspend it the film teaches us that lesson. Most all lives count because in each life a person touches others in good ways one might never have imagined. The metaphor of a pebble thrown into a lake creating ripples far off from its point of origin is apropos. It says you mean something and you change lives – hopefully for the better – simply by your existence.

"It's a Wonderful Life" is a wonderful timeless film that has a message, I think, for many of us whether we get the things in life we wanted, and most especially, if we do not.

Classic

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
25 December 2015

Nothing brings a hazy tear to the eye like the dulcet black and white tones of Its A Wonderful Life, starring endearing adult cherub Jimmy Stewart as the ultimate Everyman, a guy so personally beaten down that he sees no way out of the snowdrift of holiday blues that he's left stranded in. I haven't seen the film since I was a wee youngin', but here's what I remember, in images and impressions: Stewart plays George Bailey, a kindly man who's spent his life looking out for others and putting his livelihood on the line to,help those who are less fortunate. The man is a walking ode to the meaning of Christmas, but when a financial disaster ruins his outlook on life, he contemplates suicide. A compassionate angel named Clarence won't have any of it though, coming to his rescue in a sequence that's now immortalized in cinematic Valhalla. This is one I need to rematch to give you all a more comprehensive, 'Nate-ified' review, but I've been busier than Mr. C the past few days, so that'll have to wait.

Good guy, George Bailey, explores what the world would be like if he never existed.

Author: M Kennedy from United States
22 December 2015

Revisit the classic Christmas tale: It's a Wonderful Life. This film earns a rating by offering all the traits and qualities of a great movie: humor is scattered throughout, love and affection are central to the theme of service and generosity, and the fulfillment of adventure is pleasantly summarized in the clever ending.

George Bailey, from the beginning, is one of the unsung heroes that makes America great. His life seems to be solely dedicated to the service of others. George has a passion for travel and has big plans for the future. Early on, Mary Hatch develops an infatuation for George, and they soon fall in love and get married. George assumes control of the family business, Bailey Building and Loan. The business brings financial turmoil that puts George in a very tricky situation.

It's a Wonderful Life incorporates clever humor at even intervals to keep the audience engaged throughout the film. George's honeymoon demonstrates wit interwoven into the story line. Slapstick comedy fits only a select group of films, but Director Frank Capra manages to seamlessly utilize this humor strategy along with several others. Scattered throughout the movie are iconic scenes. Perhaps the most popular, George offers to lasso the moon as a romantic gesture. The Prom Pool Party also builds catches our attention by showing George's spontaneous and contagious personality. After the gym floor divides and reveals a pool, George and Mary fall in and continue dancing. James Stewart's performance shines as he portrays local business man, George Bailey. Mr. Bailey's arguments with Mr. Potter highlight Stewart's command of the screen. Other stars, like Donna Reed, also demonstrate a mastery of acting. George's visit to Mary's home accentuates Reed's performance.

The magic of Frank Capra's film is its ability to corral the better nature of mankind and instill a desire to be a better person. James Stewart's character demonstrates selflessness and community centered focus. All audiences can draw inspiration to become a better person from watching the feel-good ending. Although the theme and acting excel in this film, the time line is a little confusing. The first half hour explains George's life from childhood to adulthood, but the last hour covers a little less than a week. Watching It's a Wonderful Life in preparation of the Christmas season is a tradition for families across the nation. Its vast popularity is largely due to its ability to inspire kindness, service, and generosity in the name of Christmas. The only Christmas story more cherished is the story of Christmas itself.

It is a Wonderful Life

Author: leosmith-11166 from Australia
17 December 2015

The title sums it all up. Sums up how life can be, anyway. It's a Wonderful Life is a very powerful and moving film that will make you cry. The plot is original and shows how making money doesn't mean you've had a "successful life. The way to have a successful life is to help others, the helpless and needy.

James Stewart is perfect as George Bailey, and is one of his finest non Hitchcock Perfromances. It's a wonderful life is a great feel good film, and is very inspiring.

It's A Wonderful Life is suitable for all ages, and older kids and adults will understand and appreciate this wonderful film.

a truly great film

Author: michaelp-994-589491 from london
17 December 2015

I love this film, it includes everything a classic should, great storyline which takes you through every emotion, a fantastic cast and and a great ending. I m biased because James Stewart is my favourite actor but I must have watched this film 10 ten times and will watch it again this Christmas. It s not an easy watch as in several parts I get very emotional and find myself crying As I get older and have experienced life I find it more and more emotional to watch. it has a great message that every life is special and we what we do affects other people around us , sometimes in special ways and as a Catholic I find this a very powerful message. Enjoy the wonderful journey .