IMDb > The Hick Chick (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Hick Chick More at IMDbPro »

Tex Avery sends up Red Skelton again.

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
20 November 2002

Tex Avery apparently liked using Red Skelton, or rather his characters and catchphrases, in his cartoons. In this one, "Lem Kadodlehopper" is Skelton's character, Clem Kadiddlehopper. The expressions, speech patterns, the whole bit. How Skelton felt about this, I don't know, but I suspect he took it in stride. Skelton was a popular source for animators, particularly the routine they borrowed from most, The Mean Widdle Kid. The catchprase, "If I dood it, I'll get a whippin'" is used often, in whole or in part. Actually, being parodied in cartoons is a compliment and an indication of popularity, because animators used things that audiences would easily recognize and enjoy, as an inside joke or a hook to get audiences into the cartoon. This cartoon is loaded with sight gags and has not one, but two, running gags. The one with the steer is more a Tex Avery kind of gag and is funnier, at least to me. The steer is also a typical Tex Avery character and has the best dialogue in the short. Worth watching. Recommended.

It's a Tex Avery film during his time at MGM....'nuff said.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
28 August 2012

A slick rooster from the big city, Charles (whose voice is an impersonation of Charles Boyer) woos Clem's girl--winning her with promises to take her to New York and give her lots of clothes, clothes, clothes. She agrees but finds out he's nothing but a big dumb jerk. And, when Clem arrives in the city to reclaim her, Charles spends most of the picture punching Clem in the face. It's not exactly the deepest MGM cartoon I've ever seen, though Tex Avery's direction helps with this plot immensely. His goofy sense of humor and silly sound effects get the absolute most from the plot. While it's not one of Avery's better films, even a sub-par outing during his MGM era is a must-see! Well worth your time and if you don't enjoy this one you are probably dead!