IMDb > Baseball Bugs (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baseball Bugs

Baseball Bugs More at IMDbPro »

Watch this instead of "Space Jam"...

Author: paulo20 from NYC
9 September 2004

...if you want to see Bugs in a sports milieu. You'll see Bugs takes care of his own business as opposed to kidnapping a popular, talented athlete to do it for him. You won't see Bugs nabbing Joe DiMaggio, say, to help him against the Gashouse Gorillas. But I digress.

I think the comments on this toon are a bit too analytical. The fact is this is a classic and just plain fun; a toon that I always enjoyed as a kid (and I wasn't even a baseball fan at the time).

Notice how the Gorillas start out as the visiting team, then end up as the home team. Also, note how Bugs, when following the Gorillas' would-be game-ending long fly to try and catch it, gets off the cab that's "going the wrong way" and gets on a bus that appears to be heading in the same direction. These "bloopers" were probably due to error and/or a limited budget but they only add to the hilarious charm of this classic cartoon.

One, Two, Three Strikes You're Out!

Author: Rikichi from St. Louis, MO
24 February 2004

In most Bugs Bunny cartoons, he is pitted against a foe, usually human, while formidable in their own way, are obviously not in his league when it comes to brains. In this particular one, directed by Friz Freleng, he is up against a whole team of them. Bugs calls the Gas House Gorillas "a bunch of dirty cheaters". They then challenge him to a game of baseball where Bugs has to play every position, plus having to catch up where the Tea Totalers left off, behind 96-0 or something close to this score. Many of the jokes aren't up to writer Michael Maltese's usual standards, but anyone who has ever watched this cartoon will never forget the ending sequence where Bugs has to catch the last out of the game to win it.

Bugs & Baseball - Hilariously Absurd!

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
14 February 2007

We are at the Polo Grounds in New York City with the visiting team - the Gas-House Gorillas - giving the home team - the Tea Totallers - a thrashing, leading 94-0 and it's only the top of the fourth inning! Bugs emerges from his hole in the outfield and is disgusted. "Hey, I can beat this team singled-handed," he thinks, so he takes over from the 91-year-old pitcher who is getting shellacked. In fact, he takes over for everybody, being the whole team!

From that point on, it really becomes total lunacy - but one of the funniest Bugs Bunny cartoons I've ever seen (well, I'm a baseball fan, too) - capped off by a the most ridiculous catch ever made!

This was a lot of fun to watch. I hope Bugs did more sports cartoons and, if so, I get a chance to see them.

Amusing cartoon due to Bugs but is a little repetitive

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
19 October 2003

Bugs is watching a one sided baseball match and is giving the winning team a lot of verbal about their skills or, in his opinion, lack of them. When the team surround him and call his bluff, Bugs is forced to play them himself – in all positions!

Bugs' antics are as good as ever here even if he has no one single foil to battle. The plot sets him up to outwit the baseball team of thugs and win his bet. The jokes are good as they always are, but they do tend to get a little repetitive and it quickly runs out of things to do within the confines of the stadium and the sport.

The characters are all good. The baseball bruisers are the same sort of make up as most of the thuggish characters which populate these cartoons, but Bugs deals with them well in a mix of physical comedy and quick wit!

Overall this is typical of Bugs Bunny's style and will be enjoyed by fans. Only thing to note is that it is a bit lacking in imagination after a short while and is not the best example of a fine Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I was not expecting so much "fun"

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
26 November 2008

My description for this Bugs Bunny episode, overall, is fun. The beginning of it is very boring and not very funny, but Bugs Bunny transforms this cartoon completely. If it had been any other cartoon character, this episode would have been a disaster. Bugs Bunny had to come on to enhance the action.

Bugs Bunny is watching a very boring and bad (according to him anyway) baseball match, saying he could do better. Not too surprisingly, the other players of the game challenge him to a game and Bugs Bunny accepts. Can he really do better than the other team..?

I liked this episode for the animation, some of the jokes (which were very original in 1946) and of course, Bugs Bunny. Personally I did not think the subject of baseball would make this episode very enjoyable, but I enjoyed it a great deal.

I recommend this episode to anyone who likes Bugs Bunny and to anyone who likes baseball (or people who can bear it). Enjoy "Baseball Bugs"! :-)

This is the one you remember...

Author: Erich Young (erichyoung) from USA
30 August 2001

This is the one you remember from when you were growing up and watching Saturday morning "Bugs Bunny and Roadrunner" cartoons. I recently watched this cartoon a 15 years at least since I last saw it and laughed out loud at all the pranks that Bugs pulled out of his hat. I know I must have used some of these jokes when I was playing baseball as a kid.

And the cameo at the end of America's perennial first lady was a hoot - and Bugs goes and lampoons her on the spot!

Classic is the only word for this one.

An entertaining cartoon that is not wholly undeserving of its reputation as a classic

Author: (andrew-goulding1@hotmail.co.uk) from Lincoln, England
18 August 2008

Friz Freleng's 'Baseball Bugs' has become one of the most well known Bugs Bunny cartoons of all, so much so that it was referenced in hugely popular the sitcom 'Friends' in such a way that took for granted that the audience would recognise it. Commonly known as "that one where Bugs takes on a whole baseball team and plays all the positions", 'Baseball Bugs' brings back many a fond memory from my childhood. Watching it today, it's a fairly standard cartoon largely made up of visual gags of varying quality, the best involving a highly unconventional batboy. The main reason it has become semi-legendary would seem to be entirely down to its ingenious premise of pitting the rabbit against a whole team of thuggish ball players. Freleng does some interesting things with the premise but you can't help but feel a wackier director like Bob Clampett could have made so much more of it. Another problem with 'Baseball Bugs' is the more than usually abundant use of old references that inescapably date the cartoon. For cartoon aficionados like myself, these reference points always prove interesting (and 'Baseball Bugs' includes my favourite regularly used saying, "Was this trip really necessary?", which always cracks me up) but to most people they will prove perplexing and the fact that the cartoon ends with one of these forgotten catchphrases makes for a somewhat anticlimactic finale. Nevertheless, 'Baseball Bugs' is a fun short which I always enjoy seeing and which is not wholly undeserving of its reputation as a classic, even if it does pale in comparison to the truly great Warner cartoons

This time, it counts!

Author: Spider-Lou from Bristol, CT
18 August 2003

I think some baseball-themed movies are not palatable. This is why I declare "Baseball Bugs" the greatest baseball movie of all time.

The dead-on and intensely funny comedy in this short starts even before Bugs is on-screen. The disheveled but menacing Gashouse Gorillas give an old-timer team a routing, complete with a *screaming* hit to right field and a memorable samba-base-crossing. No sooner than Bugs gets on screen to heckle the Gorillas, he is called out to challenge them to a game. Then it's Bugs playing iron-rabbit baseball, all nine positions and batting the entire lineup! Here Bugs dwarfs his athletic efforts from "Space-Jam" and puts A-Rod and many other All-Stars to shame. B-Bun is an inspiration in this short and pulls out every hilarious stop to defeat these guys. Check out the awesome, tension-building hit towards the end.

In MLB, when a home pitcher does a rare 1-2-3 strikeout, some ballparks display when Bugs tosses his slowball at three Gashouse Gorillas, striking 'em out simultaneously. B-Bun would clearly pull down more $$$$$$ than A-Rod. This short is one for ESPN Classic.

"I'm only ninety-three and a half yrs old."

Author: utgard14 from USA
28 February 2016

Classic Bugs Bunny short, directed by Friz Freleng and written by the great Michael Maltese. It's an exciting day at the ball field as the Gas-House Gorillas are playing the Tea Totallers. Things aren't going the Totallers' way, so Bugs steps in and takes on the Gorillas single-handed. Hilarity ensues. It's quite simply one of the best baseball cartoons ever made. Possibly even THE best. Solid voice work, nice music, and excellent animation. Love the colors. The cartoon moves at a fast pace and all of the gags connect well. As I said, it's a classic. Any Looney Tunes fan worth their salt will have seen it at least a few times. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since childhood but it never gets old to me.

In one of the wildest games ever to grace the diamond . . .

Author: Edgar Allan Pooh from The Gutters of Baltimore
10 December 2015

. . . a carrot juice-fueled Bugs Bunny snatches Victory from the Spitoon of Defeat on behalf of his fellow Brooklyn Teetotalers. Coming on in relief with no one out in the bottom of the fourth and 41 runs already across the plate (Conga-line style), Bugs starts to dig out of the Temperance Boys' 95-0 hole by striking out three Gas House Gorillas on a single pitch. With plenty of innings left to "chip away" at the Gorillas' imposing advantage, Bugs takes the hill in the bottom of the Ninth Inning with a razor-thin 96-95 advantage (mathematically, the closest margin in baseball history). With one on and two down, the Gorilla clean-up hitter approaches the plate wielding a telephone pole. A mighty whack loft's Bugs' first offering well clear of the Polo Ground's not-so-friendly confines. Bugs exploits a gap in the center-field fence to first hop a taxi, then a streetcar, and finally an elevator to the roof of the "Umpire" State Building. Climbing a flagpole, Bugs throws his glove at the still ascending baseball. Said glove catches the ball, Bugs catches his glove, a speedy umpire calls the out, and the Statue of Liberty declares a Teetotaler Triumph (signaling Warner Bros.' urgent wish for a return of Prohibition, and the opportunity to make Modern Day sequels to THE PUBLIC ENEMY, THE ROARING TWENTIES, and other such Dry Days Classics.)