IMDb > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Garnering Bouquets

Author: writers_reign from London, England
27 September 2012

For some reason I always thought there'd be something depressing about this movie, it was, after all, I knew from reading about it, mostly about deadbeats and no-hopers and set around 1900 which is far from my favorite period of history. Then I stumbled on the DVD at a giveaway price and largely on the strength of it being Gadg's first movie as a director I bought it. Revelation. It is, as so many have noted here on IMDb, totally charming, nostalgic and laced with wonderful performances not least from Peggy Ann Garner - who receives ridiculously low billing - who is the heart of the movie (hardly surprising as everything is seen through her eyes just as she narrated the novel by Betty Smith) and a real, beating heart that propels it forward. Dorothy McGuire, James Dunn, Joan Blondell all weigh in with magnificent support making it a real ensemble piece. Definitely one to watch again.

Pendling between masterpiece and over-sentimental Hollywood drama

Author: Daniel Karlsson from Sweden
4 December 2003

I first became greatly disappointed by this movie, since I had expected a masterpiece in the same league as On the Waterfront. This is basically a 1930-1950 Hollywood picture, with characteristicly annoying things like over-paced acting, over-sentimental approach (like the audience were children) and obvious studio recording. Besides these flaws, it's a pretty good film, some good dialog, interesting characters. You could say it's possible to spot a great film-maker behind layers of over-sentimentalism and, according to me, bad, or at least unrealistic, acting.

7.0 / 10.0

Is It Just Me?

Author: lpersons-2 from United States
9 February 2009

I watched this movie for the first time last evening and wanted to see what made this an Oscar winner.... After watching the movie, I am dumbfounded. I saw an average movie, with average acting at best. At points the acting bordered on amateurish. I began thinking that Francie had some real mental issues. And the brothers character was horridly acted, probably miscast, wrong accent, etc.... That being said, I did enjoy the scenes sets, seeing how modestly the people lived, how they dressed, etc. As for it being a good movie for families, I am not so sure. Showing an alcoholic as a good character, someone who lies to get their child into a different school, is not my idea of family values and the coldness of the mother leaves much to be desired. I also thought that the mothers general attitude toward Francie was not healthy and bordered on usury. All in all an average movie, one that should be seen.

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]