IMDb > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A family classic

Author: Elizabeth (endofroad2@aol.com) from NY
24 July 2000

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a warm and sweet tear-jerker. It's a beautiful story of a young girl and her family who live in a tenement in the early 20th century. The girl, Francie, adores her dreamer father, Johnny. Francie's mother, Katie, is always frustrated because they never have any money, especially since Johnny uses most of what he makes to cater to his alcoholism.

This movie features magnificent performances from Dorothy McGuire, Joan Blondell, Lloyd Nolan, and James Dunn, who won an Oscar for his performance as Johnny. But I think it's child star Peggy Ann Garner who really makes this movie special. Her performance as Francie Nolan is heart-warming and touching, and shows true maturity beyond her years. It's a movie you'll want to see again and again. I definitely recommend it!

Kazan's a genius

Author: Robert D. Ruplenas
12 October 1999

This beautiful story has not a nasty or mean-spirited person in it, though there is plenty of conflict, tension, and human drama, arising from the grinding poverty and the human failings of the well-intentioned people involved. Kazan's genius is shown by the way in which he absolutely draws us into this tale and makes us care deeply for everyone in it. There is much here that touches me personally, as the story has many echos of my own father's childhood in South Boston. In the end, the movie is a statement of the triumph of the spirit, and we leave feeling uplifted, a feeling we get all too rarely in movies of this post-modern and ironic age. This movie deserves its place as one of the all-time great movies, and Kazan deserves a place as one of the greatest directors.

A wonderful story of the love of a daughter for her father.

Author: dugfowlr from Statesboro, Georgia
14 March 1999

This is my favorite movie of all time, since I first saw it in 1945 at age 13. I could identify fully with the heartache of having an alcoholic father, and with the poverty of the Nolan family. I think that James Dunn was far too old for his part, but he nevertheless gave a great performance. Peggy Ann Garner as Francie was truly superb. I loved the realism of the scenes of what urban life used to be like. Betty McDonald wrote several other books, but none reaching the level of this one, and Elia Kazan did a wonderful job of directing.

Truly A Spectacular Movie. One Of Kazan's Best.

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
27 November 2011

Elia Kazan is one of the greatest directors of all time, he is best known for the 1954 marvel, On The Waterfront. I watched this movie for the first time two nights ago, and I believed that it certainly was a fabulous movie. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is truly a spectacular movie, it is one of Kazan's best, and it is a masterpiece! Kazan would later go on to direct the classic On The Waterfront, but for him, his career was just beginning with this outstanding movie! When I watched this movie, there where parts that had me laughing, and there where parts that had me crying, it truly is a movie and spectacular movie. In this movie, a young girl lives in a Brooklyn tenement. Her family is very poor, a lot of this is happening because her father is a hopeless alcoholic dreamer. When you watch this movie, there are a few scenes that just might have you tearing up, if not crying. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is not a bad movie in anyway shape or form, in fact, it is one of the greatest movies ever to be made, and one of the best from Elia Kazan.

The child actors in this movie, especially Peggy Ann Garner, are among some of the best child actors that I have ever seen. They never try to hard to act like they are in a movie, they act like children in everyday life, and that's why they are so outstanding, they act naturally about it. The best performance in this movie is James Dunn, who plays the father. James Dunn was FABULOUS, I repeat FABULOUS! He was a scene stealer, whenever he would come on screen, I would focus my attention on him. It is no surprise that he won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, because he certainly deserved that win! There is really not much for me to Elia Kazan's directing, except...that I think that it's marvelous. No wait, everything about this movie is marvelous, simply marvelous! I'll give this movie movie ten out of ten for being a masterpiece of a movie directed by a master film director.

To all people who haven't seen this movie: If you haven't seen this movie already, then what are you waiting for, watch this fabulous movie! Why should you watch it? Let me tell you why you should. You should watch this movie because it is outstanding. When you watch this movie, you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll have a very good time. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is one of those movies that once you watch it, the chances are you will want to watch it several times more. Considering that this is a movie directed by Elia Kazan, then you can probably expect this movie to be a masterpiece, and it is a masterpiece! If Elia Kazan was alive today, I don't know how I would thank him for making such classic movies, he ranks up there in greatness with Martin Scorsese. Well anyway, if you haven't seen this movie, you've got to see it, because it will totally and completely astound you.

Where's the DVD of this fine film?

Author: Doug Deuchler (deuchler@sbcglobal.net) from Chicago
13 August 2008

The film "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is one of the finest pictures to come out of the late World War II period. There was a gnawing need for nostalgia at that time. "The boys" were overseas, the war had been dragging on for over four years, and people needed to see strong characters and have a warm-hearted family drama pick up their spirits. The message was "you can make it through this---this too shall pass." At glossy MGM they created a Technicolor "Meet Me In St. Louis." But at Fox they gave newcomer Elia Kazan his chance to make it big with what had been a popular bestseller several years running. Set in 1912, the story portrays the immigrant experience, of which Kazan was personally familiar. The performances are dynamite. Dorothy McGuire is so young but she nails Katie Nolan in what I think is McGuire's best performance. And who else but Peggy Ann Garner could play Francie? Though many are critical that the book gets short-changed, I find it amazing that Kazan was able to slip so much detail into his film. It's brimming with period charm and the glow of actual old memories. Yes, they were deeply, relentlessly poor. But you see how families struggled together---like when the grandma and aunt come to deliver the baby. They couldn't afford a midwife. Joan Blondell is great, too. But why does Sissy in the film call all her men "Bill"? In the book it's John, I think. Is it too close to a whore's "john" or too close to Johnny, Francie's dad?

A Must See, For Everyone! A Cinematic Family Album of the Irish in America!

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
9 July 2007

This film must be one classified as serious. It certainly cannot be viewed casually. Get in a good serious, no nonsense, no interruptions mood and situation. Take your telephone off the hook. Make sure that no one knows that you are home. Now, watch, absorb, laugh, cry and totally enjoy this most exceptional drama.

The Brooklyn of the film is one that has long since vanished, or has it? Of course the physical appearance of MOST everywhere do change, slowly, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The one thing in life that is constant is change.

And yet, I can take you to a few places right here in Chicago, that have houses (frame ones at that)that are still being lived in by members of the same family since ca. 1880. You know what I mean. You know places in your neck of the woods like it. So it must also be in Brooklyn.

The performances elicited by Director, Mr. Elia Kazan, are all right on. Johnny Nolan (James Dunn) is properly disconnected from reality, just enough. He has learned to "roll with the punches" by doing so. His potential is obviously something in life much higher and more complex. He loves his wife and family more than anything, more than life itself. He is a text book case of the incurable romantic. He always strives to see the beauty in the world-even to the point of fantasizing.

Katie Nolan (Dorothy McGuire) is beautiful, proud, strong and loves her husband and family just as strongly as does husband, Johnny. Katie has her feet on the ground. Any aspirations of hers are now strictly for her children.

Sissy Edwards (Joan Blondell) the 'free spirited' sister of Katie, who is so very close to the family as an aunt could be. Forall of her 'freedom', she really wishes to be in a family situation more like Katie's. By the way, Miss Joan Blondell displays a degree of acting ability that may not always be attributed to her. It was the good roll and it obviously gave her the opportunity to 'show her stuff'.

Officer McShane, the Beat Cop (Lloyd Nolan) also seems to be cast somewhat against type. He of course had portrayed cops before, but those were in a far different type of fare, being truly 'crime dramas' or 'detective stories'. In this story, Mr. Nolan gets to hit the other points of being a Policeman. Instead of being hard boiled, hard nosed, hard hearted and heavy handed, he has to use other skills and practical psychology in handling neighborhood problems.

Young Francie Nolan (Miss Peggy Ann Garner) displayed such talent and maturity in her portrayal as to rival those traits in her character. Francie is a young lady who is mature beyond her years. She has witnessed her alcoholic Father is frequently seen coming home "sick", the term that Mother prefers.

Of all the rest of the cast, who did a fine job, both solely and collectively, we must make mention of James Gleason who turns in his usual fine job as Garrity, the Saloon Keeper.

The film throughout has the advantage of a finely planned use of lighting and sets to represent dark, cold winter days in Brooklyn. Construction of the sets and the large numbers of people milling about, making a picture of a claustrophobic, chaotic street scene.

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN "hits for the cycle"(to borrow a Baseball Term*)in touching all the 'bases' of emotion. It is sad, yet joyful. It is gloriously triumphant at times, yet down in the dumps, all at about the same time. Father is a failure in some eyes and yet, he has an answer for the depressing daily developments.

On a personal note, the story acts as a chronicle of one particular Ethnic Group. In this case, it's the Irish, of which this writer is a member, at least partially (Pop was Irish, Ma is still living and a now 90 year old German girl). I personally love the sort of film that gives a portrayal of the hardships endured and conquered by the various groups of Ethnic Immigrants.

Today we have a lot of Political Pundits and Public Officals , who are generally of the Political Left, who feel compelled to preach to members of certain 'minorities' that they can only gain even footing in the USA by voting for Big Government, Big Federal Entitlements and Big Taxes.

If any of our Minorities, or "People of Color" who are now "on the bottom rung of the ladder" think that those Ethnic Groups of peoples that came before them had it any easier, think again.

Just ask your neighbors of Polish, Irish, Italian,Jewish, Lithuanian, Chinese, Russian, Japanese,German,Slovak, Fillipino, Chech, Norweigin, Sweedish,Croation, etc.descent Ask them about the struggles of their people.

Thank God for films like this A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. They remind us of the hardships of the immigrants in the New World. Lord, how bad they must have had it in "the Old Country"!!

* "Hitting for the Cycle" is a Baseball term for referring to a Ballplayer's hitting a Single, a Double, a Triple and a Home Run, all in the same game. The hits may be in any order.

Elia Kazan's directorial debut...heartfelt performances...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
1 December 2006

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is a tender, faithful translation to the screen of Betty Smith's popular best-seller about the growing pains of a girl (PEGGY ANN GARNER) and her little brother (TED DONALDSON), both of them struggling to rise above their environment in a squalid Brooklyn slum.

Attention to detail is obvious in every scene of this amazingly touching film, so full of splendid performances. DOROTHY McGUIRE is the somewhat embittered mother, Katy Nolan, who has to deal with the practical side of things while her alcoholic, pipe-dreamer husband (JAMES DUNN), charms the children with his impossible dreams and fancies and won an Oscar for his "comeback" performance. JOAN BLONDELL gives one of her best performances as the earthy Aunt Sissy (a role once slated for Alice Faye), and LLOYD NOLAN is touching as the Irish policeman who takes an interest in the Nolan family.

The Brooklyn environment is correct in every detail so that it never looks like a film made entirely on the soundstages at Fox--and the atmosphere is perfect for the scene where Francie takes care of her mother during a pregnancy, waiting on a rainy day for her aunt and grandmother's assistance.

It never becomes too sentimental, although it does come perilously close in those final scenes--but the performance of PEGGY ANN GARNER as "the tree" who grows up amid hardship and deprivation, is so genuine that she manages to overcome any criticisms on that point.

Readers of the book will not be disappointed.

a truly beautiful movie!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
12 June 2005

This is one of the best movies of the 1940s and is pretty much forgotten today. It is a movie about the life of a young girl in a Brooklyn tenement. Her family is very poor--mostly due to her father being a hopeless alcoholic dreamer. In spite of this, the movie is NOT a downer or hard to watch, though you might shed a tear or two when you watch it. Instead, it centers on characterizations--meaning good writing and good acting! James Dunn as the alcoholic dad did a great job, but the children in the movie also deserve accolades for acting like children--not Hollywood versions of kids! As I have mentioned in some other reviews, I often HATE child actors but I am quick to point it out when they do a credible job.

Kazan Hits a Home Run With His First At Bat!

Author: (bsmith5552@rogers.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1 February 2014

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was adapted from the best selling novel of the same name by Betty Smith. It was also the first feature film to be directed by the legendary Elia Kazan. Boy what a debut and keep the Kleenex handy.

The story centers around an early 20th century family living in the run down tenements of Brooklyn. Told through the eyes of Francie Nolan (Peggy Ann Garner) we follow the ups and downs of her family....mother Kate (Dorothy McGuire), dad Johnny (James Dunn), brother Neeley (Ted Donaldson) in their daily lives.

Johnny is a happy go lucky Irishman with high ambitions. He has trouble finding and keeping a job. He also has a penchant for a wee nip now and then. Kate is left with the task of running the household on literally pennies a day while working at scrubbing the stairs of their tenement on the side to help with the rent. The children run the errands such as selling junk to the junk man (J. Farrell McDonald), buying 10 cents worth of ground beef and getting in on the distribution of 3 day old bread from the bakeries.

Francie is very close to her father and he in turn to her. He manages to get her transferred to a better school and promises her the brighter future that he knows he cannot provide. Kate, becoming despondent over the family's hardships, finds herself becoming hardened despite reassurances from her flighty sister "Aunt Sissy" (Joan Blondell). Local cop on the beat Officer McShane (Lloyd Nolan) takes an interest in the family and secretly worships Kate.

Kazan was able to get excellent performances from his ensemble cast. Dorothy McGuire the beauty that she was, is very convincing as the distraught mother with little hope for the future. James Dunn has you rooting for him as the ever down on his luck father. Peggy Ann Garner is superb as the young daughter who has ambitions to become a writer. Both Dunn and Garner received Academy Awards for their performances.

Kazan would return to the tenements in Tennesee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire" in 1951.

Mom to daughter: 'Ask for round steak, chopped, ten cents worth.'

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
27 October 2013

It was the early 1900s in Brooklyn. Many families crowded together in tenement buildings, poor families that barely made ends meet, but always paid the monthly ten cents to the man who sold funeral insurance. Life expectancy wasn't real long. An extra penny here and there meant something.

This movie has special appeal to me, it came out in 1945, the year I was born. Shot in glorious black and white, the cinematography is excellent. The title is a reference to a tree growing in a courtyard, seemingly out of the concrete. The young daughter laments that it is being cut down, but dad says it won't die, it will grow back. It is also a metaphor for life, for getting back up after you have been knocked down.

Beautiful Dorothy McGuire, in her 20s here, is the mom, Katie Nolan. She is a severe mom, hardly ever smiling, because she knows how difficult it is to keep the family in home and fed.

Joan Blondell is her sister, the good, fun-loving aunt, Sissy, who is at one point banned from the family, but later returns to help the healing.

Winning an Academy Award for supporting actor was James Dunn as the father, Johnny Nolan, who calls himself a singing waiter but often drinks too much, and never seems to deliver the goods for the family. He is a "pipe dreamer", always talking about what is going to happen, without a plan to make it happen.

The real star is young (12) Peggy Ann Garner as the daughter, Francie. She is smart, reads a lot, and works hard to help the family. She adores her dad, it is clear that he has the greatest influence on her.

This is a really good movie, about family, how things become trials, and how they are able to overcome them.

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]