IMDb > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Two superb performances

Author: paur46 from United States
23 May 2001

This is a wonderful and touching story. I was struck by the performances of James Dunn and Peggy Ann Garner. Dunn is very good as the father, and reading a brief biographical sketch, it is interesting to see how his life at that time was similar in significant ways to the character. Peggy Ann Garner gives the most incredible performance I have ever seen by a juvenile. It would be worth the price of admission many times over. I highly recommend this film.

A family classic

Author: Elizabeth (endofroad2@aol.com) from NY
24 July 2000

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a warm and sweet tear-jerker. It's a beautiful story of a young girl and her family who live in a tenement in the early 20th century. The girl, Francie, adores her dreamer father, Johnny. Francie's mother, Katie, is always frustrated because they never have any money, especially since Johnny uses most of what he makes to cater to his alcoholism.

This movie features magnificent performances from Dorothy McGuire, Joan Blondell, Lloyd Nolan, and James Dunn, who won an Oscar for his performance as Johnny. But I think it's child star Peggy Ann Garner who really makes this movie special. Her performance as Francie Nolan is heart-warming and touching, and shows true maturity beyond her years. It's a movie you'll want to see again and again. I definitely recommend it!

Kazan's a genius

Author: Robert D. Ruplenas
12 October 1999

This beautiful story has not a nasty or mean-spirited person in it, though there is plenty of conflict, tension, and human drama, arising from the grinding poverty and the human failings of the well-intentioned people involved. Kazan's genius is shown by the way in which he absolutely draws us into this tale and makes us care deeply for everyone in it. There is much here that touches me personally, as the story has many echos of my own father's childhood in South Boston. In the end, the movie is a statement of the triumph of the spirit, and we leave feeling uplifted, a feeling we get all too rarely in movies of this post-modern and ironic age. This movie deserves its place as one of the all-time great movies, and Kazan deserves a place as one of the greatest directors.

A wonderful story of the love of a daughter for her father.

Author: dugfowlr from Statesboro, Georgia
14 March 1999

This is my favorite movie of all time, since I first saw it in 1945 at age 13. I could identify fully with the heartache of having an alcoholic father, and with the poverty of the Nolan family. I think that James Dunn was far too old for his part, but he nevertheless gave a great performance. Peggy Ann Garner as Francie was truly superb. I loved the realism of the scenes of what urban life used to be like. Betty McDonald wrote several other books, but none reaching the level of this one, and Elia Kazan did a wonderful job of directing.

Where's the DVD of this fine film?

Author: Doug Deuchler (deuchler@sbcglobal.net) from Chicago
13 August 2008

The film "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is one of the finest pictures to come out of the late World War II period. There was a gnawing need for nostalgia at that time. "The boys" were overseas, the war had been dragging on for over four years, and people needed to see strong characters and have a warm-hearted family drama pick up their spirits. The message was "you can make it through this---this too shall pass." At glossy MGM they created a Technicolor "Meet Me In St. Louis." But at Fox they gave newcomer Elia Kazan his chance to make it big with what had been a popular bestseller several years running. Set in 1912, the story portrays the immigrant experience, of which Kazan was personally familiar. The performances are dynamite. Dorothy McGuire is so young but she nails Katie Nolan in what I think is McGuire's best performance. And who else but Peggy Ann Garner could play Francie? Though many are critical that the book gets short-changed, I find it amazing that Kazan was able to slip so much detail into his film. It's brimming with period charm and the glow of actual old memories. Yes, they were deeply, relentlessly poor. But you see how families struggled together---like when the grandma and aunt come to deliver the baby. They couldn't afford a midwife. Joan Blondell is great, too. But why does Sissy in the film call all her men "Bill"? In the book it's John, I think. Is it too close to a whore's "john" or too close to Johnny, Francie's dad?

A Must See, For Everyone! A Cinematic Family Album of the Irish in America!

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
9 July 2007

This film must be one classified as serious. It certainly cannot be viewed casually. Get in a good serious, no nonsense, no interruptions mood and situation. Take your telephone off the hook. Make sure that no one knows that you are home. Now, watch, absorb, laugh, cry and totally enjoy this most exceptional drama.

The Brooklyn of the film is one that has long since vanished, or has it? Of course the physical appearance of MOST everywhere do change, slowly, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The one thing in life that is constant is change.

And yet, I can take you to a few places right here in Chicago, that have houses (frame ones at that)that are still being lived in by members of the same family since ca. 1880. You know what I mean. You know places in your neck of the woods like it. So it must also be in Brooklyn.

The performances elicited by Director, Mr. Elia Kazan, are all right on. Johnny Nolan (James Dunn) is properly disconnected from reality, just enough. He has learned to "roll with the punches" by doing so. His potential is obviously something in life much higher and more complex. He loves his wife and family more than anything, more than life itself. He is a text book case of the incurable romantic. He always strives to see the beauty in the world-even to the point of fantasizing.

Katie Nolan (Dorothy McGuire) is beautiful, proud, strong and loves her husband and family just as strongly as does husband, Johnny. Katie has her feet on the ground. Any aspirations of hers are now strictly for her children.

Sissy Edwards (Joan Blondell) the 'free spirited' sister of Katie, who is so very close to the family as an aunt could be. Forall of her 'freedom', she really wishes to be in a family situation more like Katie's. By the way, Miss Joan Blondell displays a degree of acting ability that may not always be attributed to her. It was the good roll and it obviously gave her the opportunity to 'show her stuff'.

Officer McShane, the Beat Cop (Lloyd Nolan) also seems to be cast somewhat against type. He of course had portrayed cops before, but those were in a far different type of fare, being truly 'crime dramas' or 'detective stories'. In this story, Mr. Nolan gets to hit the other points of being a Policeman. Instead of being hard boiled, hard nosed, hard hearted and heavy handed, he has to use other skills and practical psychology in handling neighborhood problems.

Young Francie Nolan (Miss Peggy Ann Garner) displayed such talent and maturity in her portrayal as to rival those traits in her character. Francie is a young lady who is mature beyond her years. She has witnessed her alcoholic Father is frequently seen coming home "sick", the term that Mother prefers.

Of all the rest of the cast, who did a fine job, both solely and collectively, we must make mention of James Gleason who turns in his usual fine job as Garrity, the Saloon Keeper.

The film throughout has the advantage of a finely planned use of lighting and sets to represent dark, cold winter days in Brooklyn. Construction of the sets and the large numbers of people milling about, making a picture of a claustrophobic, chaotic street scene.

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN "hits for the cycle"(to borrow a Baseball Term*)in touching all the 'bases' of emotion. It is sad, yet joyful. It is gloriously triumphant at times, yet down in the dumps, all at about the same time. Father is a failure in some eyes and yet, he has an answer for the depressing daily developments.

On a personal note, the story acts as a chronicle of one particular Ethnic Group. In this case, it's the Irish, of which this writer is a member, at least partially (Pop was Irish, Ma is still living and a now 90 year old German girl). I personally love the sort of film that gives a portrayal of the hardships endured and conquered by the various groups of Ethnic Immigrants.

Today we have a lot of Political Pundits and Public Officals , who are generally of the Political Left, who feel compelled to preach to members of certain 'minorities' that they can only gain even footing in the USA by voting for Big Government, Big Federal Entitlements and Big Taxes.

If any of our Minorities, or "People of Color" who are now "on the bottom rung of the ladder" think that those Ethnic Groups of peoples that came before them had it any easier, think again.

Just ask your neighbors of Polish, Irish, Italian,Jewish, Lithuanian, Chinese, Russian, Japanese,German,Slovak, Fillipino, Chech, Norweigin, Sweedish,Croation, etc.descent Ask them about the struggles of their people.

Thank God for films like this A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. They remind us of the hardships of the immigrants in the New World. Lord, how bad they must have had it in "the Old Country"!!

* "Hitting for the Cycle" is a Baseball term for referring to a Ballplayer's hitting a Single, a Double, a Triple and a Home Run, all in the same game. The hits may be in any order.

Elia Kazan's directorial debut...heartfelt performances...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
1 December 2006

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is a tender, faithful translation to the screen of Betty Smith's popular best-seller about the growing pains of a girl (PEGGY ANN GARNER) and her little brother (TED DONALDSON), both of them struggling to rise above their environment in a squalid Brooklyn slum.

Attention to detail is obvious in every scene of this amazingly touching film, so full of splendid performances. DOROTHY McGUIRE is the somewhat embittered mother, Katy Nolan, who has to deal with the practical side of things while her alcoholic, pipe-dreamer husband (JAMES DUNN), charms the children with his impossible dreams and fancies and won an Oscar for his "comeback" performance. JOAN BLONDELL gives one of her best performances as the earthy Aunt Sissy (a role once slated for Alice Faye), and LLOYD NOLAN is touching as the Irish policeman who takes an interest in the Nolan family.

The Brooklyn environment is correct in every detail so that it never looks like a film made entirely on the soundstages at Fox--and the atmosphere is perfect for the scene where Francie takes care of her mother during a pregnancy, waiting on a rainy day for her aunt and grandmother's assistance.

It never becomes too sentimental, although it does come perilously close in those final scenes--but the performance of PEGGY ANN GARNER as "the tree" who grows up amid hardship and deprivation, is so genuine that she manages to overcome any criticisms on that point.

Readers of the book will not be disappointed.

a truly beautiful movie!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
12 June 2005

This is one of the best movies of the 1940s and is pretty much forgotten today. It is a movie about the life of a young girl in a Brooklyn tenement. Her family is very poor--mostly due to her father being a hopeless alcoholic dreamer. In spite of this, the movie is NOT a downer or hard to watch, though you might shed a tear or two when you watch it. Instead, it centers on characterizations--meaning good writing and good acting! James Dunn as the alcoholic dad did a great job, but the children in the movie also deserve accolades for acting like children--not Hollywood versions of kids! As I have mentioned in some other reviews, I often HATE child actors but I am quick to point it out when they do a credible job.

Worth seeing more than once

Author: adsqueiroz from São Paulo, Brazil
28 April 2016

In the early 1900s, the Nolans, a poor Brooklyn tenement family, fight not only to survive, but also to improve their lives. The studious Francie worships her father, waiter and aspiring singer Johnny, despite him being an alcoholic and a pipe dreamer. With a strong temper, mother Katie holds the family together, including a flirtatious and impetuous aunt. Dorothy McGuire is a perfect mother who keeps her family together, but loses and regains some humanity in the process. She was an underrated actress in her time, always gave great performances. Peggy Ann Garner in one of the best child performances I have seen as an intelligent and caring daughter. What an incredible and moving film; made me cry many times while watching girl Francie reverencing her father and helping out her mother. A film worth seeing more than once.

I Didn't Read the Novel

Author: gavin6942 from United States
11 March 2016

Encouraged by her idealistic if luckless father, a bright and imaginative young woman comes of age in a Brooklyn tenement during the early 1900s.

I didn't read the novel, so I guess I can't speak to how well they turned it into a movie. But I did see the movie and it is quite good, and deserved all the praise it got at the time it came out. (If IMDb is to be believed, it would be in the Top 250 right now if it just had more votes.) Is this what Brooklyn was like? If anything, Brooklyn was probably worse, as it was breeding all kinds of Irish, Jewish and Italian gangsters. None of that occurs in this film, which is unfortunate. (But not everyone grew up with the gangsters, I suppose.)

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]