IMDb > Pride of the Marines (1945) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pride of the Marines

Pride of the Marines More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Wow this is....not very good. At all.

Author: jsk32870 from United States
1 May 2017

It's never a promising sign when you find yourself checking the time to see how much of the film is left to go. I did that with this one, only 32 minutes in....which means I still had 90 minutes more of this train wreck. And believe me, at times it is a train wreck. Those reviewers on here giving this 8, 9 or 10 stars could use some introspection.

What am I talking about? Well let's see...in the first 30 minutes, we watch the "hero," Al Schmid, kiss a preteen girl on the lips (his best-friend's daughter), then tell her that in 5-6 years he will marry her. If I did that to my best friend's daughter he would punch my lights out (and rightly so) before calling the police and reporting me for being a child predator. Then, Al is set up on a blind date with a woman named Ruth, apparently against his will, so his way of dealing with the situation is to attempt to loudly belittle and disparage his date in a bowling alley for all to hear. Quite mature for our hero, wouldn't you say? The next day he realizes the error of his ways....so he decides to make it up to her. How? By confronting her at a public bus stop and telling everyone present that she has abandoned their boy and is seemingly guilty of child negligence. Never mind the fact that they are not a couple and there is no child, he is making the whole thing up to shame her in front of a group of strangers. What an honorable guy, this Al. But she inexplicably gets in his car, anyway, instead of telling him to get lost, and he proceeds to drive her home. When he learns there is another man waiting at home to take her out on a date, he purposely crashes his car into the other man's in a fit of rage, anger and/or jealousy. And quite laughably, shortly after this incident Ruth decides "wow this is the guy for me!" It was at this point I looked at the time because I was saying to myself "how much more of this nonsense can I take?" Keep in mind you as the viewer are supposed to look upon the actions of Al as commendable - he is the subject of the film - the "Pride of the Marines." So the protagonist - our hero - is an ill-tempered, pompous, creepy, impulsive liar. And you are supposed to be sympathetic towards him...it is that bad.

Not helping matters is the misleading title. Of the two-hour running time, only about 20 minutes concerns Al's active duty in the Marines. The rest is spent either establishing his "courtship" of Ruth (cough cough) or the bitterness he feels after suffering injuries in battle (about an hour and the bulk of the film). In between there is one action sequence set in Guadalcanal from which the film gets its title (I suppose). So dispel the notion that this is a war film or an action film, it is largely neither. It's a rather shoddy attempt to engender pride and rouse patriotic fervor, as this was produced in the latter stages of World War II. However, the callous and indifferent way Al treats other people, especially those close to him, both before and after that battle sequence is actually quite despicable and not worthy of anyone's pride. This film is based on a real person named Al Schmid. I can only hope the real Al wasn't as much of a cad as the one portrayed here. Ouch.

John Garfield and Eleanor Parker star in this "Coming Home" WW II drama

Author: jacobs-greenwood from United States
9 December 2016

John Garfield plays Al Schmid, a single friend of married couple Jim & Ella Merchant (Jim Ridgely and Ann Doran) and their teenage daughter Loretta (Ann Todd). Like happily married people are wont to do, they set Al up on a blind date, against his will, with Ruth Hartley (Eleanor Parker). But, after resisting getting involved with her, they begin dating.

One day at Al's workplace, where he is a welder, he learns of a friend's enlistment into the Marines and decides to sign up himself. Ruth and Al have a last date, with Al insisting that she forget about him, given his unknown future. However, when she goes to meet his departure train, he is overjoyed and gives her an engagement ring.

In the Battle of the Pacific, Al and his squadron find themselves in a foxhole assigned to prevent the Japanese from breaching their line at night. We briefly get to know several of the soldiers, including Lee Diamond (Dane Clark), before the attack. During the attack, many of them are killed but Al ends up single-handedly saving the day. However, he is wounded by a suicide bomber in the final scene of the battle.

Later in a hospital, Al learns that he can't see, a condition that doesn't change even after he has surgery. Feeling sorry for himself, he dictates a letter through a nurse to tell Ruth that he is relieving her of any obligation to marry him. Though his friend Lee, the nurse, the doctors, and others try, he will not be convinced or persuaded to try to return to a "normal" life, given his condition. Instead, he stays in the hospital until they no longer allow him to remain there.

He returns home on a train, with Lee in tow. However, he does not want to see Ruth and, when he does anyway, will not accept her undying love regardless of her encouraging words. He does not feel that he is a real man anymore, and his pride will not allow her to take care of him. But when he is awarded the Navy Cross for his service in the Pacific, and his vision allows him to "see" a fuzzy red-topped taxicab as Ruth escorts him afterwards, we get our happy ending.

This film's Screenplay was nominated for a Best Writing Academy Award.

excellent, gritty film.

Author: wkozak221 from United States
6 November 2015

I have always liked john Garfield and his films. It is a shame he is not better known except for film buffs. He was an excellent actor who always gave a spot on performance. This film is no different. Before he is blinded he is easy going. Once he is blinded you can see a complete change in him. You can see and feel how bad war really is. I found this film to be fairly accurate. My dad was in the pacific in ww2 and told me how it was. I also found that Garfield could transition easily from role to role. I saw the despair in him when he had to figure how to deal with a new way of living with his handicap. I remember Mr. Russell in the other great war film. This film and the other one on par with each other.

Always Warners....

Author: WarnersBrother from Hollywood, CA/Scottsdale, AZ
8 August 2011

There isn't a lot to say that hasn't been said, This is a masterpiece on the level of "The Best Years of Our Lives" and Delmar Davies best picture. A fantastic supporting cast and Garfield is great. But special mention to Eleanor Parker who is superb (and i am not a fan) and thank heavens that the always wonderful Rosemary De Kamp had an opportunity to play a role where she was the young and attractive woman she was, and not the Mother!

IMDb requires more text, so here is a shout out for Dane Clark,

Tom D'Andrea

and good old reliable Tom Ridgely!

Garfield in peak form

Author: Fred_Rap from Los Angeles, CA
30 April 2010

John Garfield as the real-life World War II hero Al Schmid gives perhaps his most subtle and nuanced screen performance. Playing a fully realized character with an emotional arc instead of his usual mercurial, Depression-bruised archetype, Garfield eschews the mannered excesses to which he often brought to inferior material. The film itself is a sharply observed, deeply felt biopic about a combat veteran and his period of readjustment after being blinded in action on Guadalcanal.

Garfield's Schmid is a forty-buck-a-week factory worker, a jaunty, macho Average Joe, and the first half-hour traces his romance with working-class Jane Eleanor Parker (whose proletarian pretenses can't disguise her tony roots). Despite some sitcom-witty repartee and Parker's cloying nobility, the relationship is effectively (and appealingly) charted. It's all a set-up for the film's final hour in which Schmid holes up in a veteran's hospital, refusing to return home to the imagined charity of his loved ones.

What threatens to be overly lachrymose becomes affectingly low-key in Garfield's controlled hands. Without resorting to raging tantrums or a raised voice, Garfield conveys bitterness with blank, downcast eyes and a careful emphasis on dialog -- the way he spits out the word 'pity' almost makes it sound obscene. In his most eloquent moment he barely says a word. During a protracted bout of proselytizing in the hospital ward, a gaggle of wounded vets gripes about their dim future while director Delmer Daves cuts to close-ups of Garfield silently betraying a perverse satisfaction at the communal self-pity. Amidst all the polemical chatter the visual understatement is devastating.

Despite an occasional misstep (Garfield's dream scene is hokey and far too literal), Daves' direction is assured and textured. His handling of the action on Guadalcanal is particularly impressive, a harrowing twenty-minute firefight set in a cramped foxhole that stands as one of the bleakest, most terrifyingly visceral combat scenes ever committed to celluloid; you can almost smell the stench of blood, sweat and other bodily fluids emanating from that godforsaken hellhole.

With Dane Clark, bursting with energy and overacting up a storm as if angling to steal the spotlight from an atypically reserved Garfield.

No way, no how.

A Great American War Movie

Author: wuxmup from United States
30 August 2010

What makes a great movie? Script, performances, direction, pace, credibility (watching it makes you *believe,* even if it's sf). An important theme, like the readjusment of wounded combat vets, doesn't hurt.

"Pride of the Marines" has all these things. Star John Garfield, who specialized (mostly) in blue-collar roles, turns in possibly his finest performance; the rest of the cast is also excellent. Albert Maltz's screenplay deservedly got an Oscar nomination. The brief combat scenes are absolutely believable and the story never slows down - a tribute to Delmer Daves' directorial talents. "The Best Years of Our Lives" is far better known as a moving drama of returning WWII veterans, but "Pride of the Marines" was released almost three months earlier and is every bit as dramatic.

There's nothing phony about this great movie, including the heroism - for which the real Al Schmid, LeRoy Diamond, and Johnny Rivers (KIA) were all awarded the Navy Cross.

"Pride of the Marines" finally came out on DVD in 2009. I haven't viewed that product, but you owe it to yourself to see this movie at least once.

blinded by fear

Author: RanchoTuVu from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
10 August 2006

John Garfield plays a Marine who is blinded by a grenade while fighting on Guadalcanal and who has to learn to live with his disability. He has all the stereotypical notions about blindness, and is sure he'll be a burden to everyone. The hospital staff and his fellow wounded Marines can't get through to him. Neither can his girl back home played by Eleanor Parker. He's stubborn and blinded by his own fears, self pity, and prejudices. It's a complex role that Garfield carries off memorably in a great performance that keeps one watching in spite of the ever present syrupy melodrama. The best scenes are on Guadalcanal, where he's in a machine gun nest trying to fend off the advancing Japanese soldiers in a hellish looking night time battle, and later a dream sequence in the hospital where he sees himself walking down a train platform with a white cane, dark glasses, and holding out a tin cup, all the while his girlfriend walks backward away from the camera.

Talking About a White Christmas

Author: jkampion from Vermont, USA
6 December 2013

As I watched, midway into 'Pride of the Marines' about these wounded soldiers back from Guadalcanal, I found myself embarrassed by this film and the bunch of "swell" wounded Marines discussing the difficult times that would be facing them as wounded veterans in their communities and in finding jobs when, in the background, another group of wounded soldiers break out in song:

"In the evening by the moonlight When the darkies work was over We would gather round the fire Till the whole cake it was done

In the evening by the moonlight You could hear those darkies singing In the evening by the moonlight You could hear the banjos ringin'"

It certainly did remind me who we weren't fighting for. And, considering those lyrics, I was surprised that I wasn't able to find any reference to, or explanation of, that particular scene in any of the film's criticism.

Eat Dirt Tojo!

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
27 July 2009

***SPOILERS*** On of the first WWII movies coming out of Hollywood that shows how the war effected those GI's, or in this case US Marines, who fought in it.

21 year old Al Schmid, John Garfield, was just starting to live with a well paying job-earning some $40.00 a week-at the local steel mill and girl Ruth Hartley, Elenore Parker, whom he was about to marry when the Japs spoiled everything for him, and millions of likewise young Americans, by attacking the US Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor. Doing his duty as an American citizen Al immediately joined the US Marine Corps hoping to get back at the Japs knowing, correctly as it was to turn out, that the Marines would be the first American combat units to get a crack at them.

Al finally got his chance when his unit, the 1st Marine Division, landed on August 7, 1942 at Guadalcanal in the far flung Solomon Islands to engage the Japanese who were were in control of it. It was during the battle of the Ilu River that Al almost single handed stopped a massive Japanese Banzai attack holding off, with his machine gun, wave after wave of suicide attacks by the determined Japs until help, or reinforcements, finally arrived. It was during the bloody fighting Al was hit in the face by a Jap grenade that ended up blinding him.

Now back in the states convalescing at a naval hospital Al is faced with something far more harder to overcome then battling a battalion size attack of Japanese or German soldiers. He's faced with a future where he'll never see again and having to depend on others to look after, or for, him!

We get to see in the film "Pride of the Marines" Al battle himself far harder then he did the Japanese troops on Guadalcanal in just coming to terms with his disability. Not wanting anyone, especially his girlfriend Ruth, to feel sorry for him Al in fact is the one who feels sorry for himself more then anyone else in the movie. It's with the help of Navy Nurse Virginia Pfeiffer, Rosemary DeCamp, and Ruth together with his US Marine buddy Lee Diamond, Dane Clark, that in the end gives Al the courage to face his blindness with the same strength that he faced wave after wave of Japanese troops on Gudalcanal. A courage Al thought he lost back in that God-forsaken island hell in the South Pacific.

Based on the true story of US Marine Sergeant Albert Schmid "Pride of the Marines" showed what we were to expect from the tens of thousands of wounded US Servicemen coming back from the war. We get to see how it in many ways was far more difficult for those fighting the war to adjust to a peacetime America when they left something, like in the case of Al Schmid, behind on the battlefield. Al's battle with his personal demons was a lot harder then the Japanese that he fought in that they were part of him and thus had to fight himself in order to overcome and eventually defeat them. Despite the help that he got from both Nurse Virginia and his girlfriend Ruth as well as his Navy doctor-who has a striking resemblance to actor Gregory Peck-it still was up to Al to overcome the fears that he faced. Fears which he and only he had to both battle and overcome, like he was told by everyone in the movie, all by himself.

"You know, I bet it would be more fun shooting Japs . . . "

Author: Edgar Allan Pooh from The Gutters of Baltimore
12 November 2014

" . . . than bears," 'Ordinary Joe' Al Schmid tells his girlfriend Ruth on the eve of his WWII enlistment into the U.S. Marines. This interchange came in a fact-based movie made the year that America nuked Japan twice, decades before Congress enabled Japanese companies such as Sony to wrest control of the major U.S. film studios and rewrite history to their liking. Since kids today wouldn't be caught dead watching black and white flicks, the only version of The Truth they get is a pack of revisionist lies. If it were possible to hijack a lecture hall full of American college students and compel them to sit through "PRIDE OF THE MARINES," there might be hope for us. However, more than half of such a captive audience would be comprised of "exchange students," sent here to learn our vulnerable spots. Perhaps clairvoyance of today's realities (or of his own assassination a few years later by rabid Congressman Joseph McCarthy) helped actor John Garfield instill so much anger into his character, real life hero Schmid. Sure, Al's a little upset when circumstances force him to gun down 200 Japanese troops in just four hours on Guadacanal (far above his native Pennsylvania's bag limit for bears), despite being blinded by a grenade exploding in his face. But right up to the happy ending, he's "loaded for bear," and rightfully so.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]