IMDb > Miss Susie Slagle's (1946) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Miss Susie Slagle's More at IMDbPro »

Medical Students

Author: artzau from Sacramento, CA
19 May 2002

This is the film that inspired me to go to medical school...not necessarily to follow a clinical career but certainly got me started. The action focuses on several medical students living in a boarding house run by a spinster, Miss Susie Slagle, the incomparable Lillian Gish. The students include Sonny Tufts, the scion of the Boston Brahmin Tufts (of the same university of the same name) family, in his pre-Hollywood bad boy days, a young Lloyd Bridges, character actor Billy De Wolfe, Pat Phelan and several others of interest only to old movie buffs like myself. It is more a "slice of life" type film and focuses on personal conflicts of the medical students. Tufts is great as the student who gains his confidence during an epidemic and it's a delight to see Ray Collins in a pre-Tragg role and the beautiful Joan Caufield. No video, no DVD listed, so watch for this one on the late show.

Memorable Movie

Author: pamelagreenwood from United States
3 March 2007

I must have been a child of 10 or so when I saw this movie on television. I was totally engrossed in the story but was called away in the middle of the movie and I never got to see the end. It has stayed with me for 50 years and I have never seen it re-run. And I have definitely searched for it. I would love to see this movie again ... all the way through! Alternatively, I'd even settle for the name of the novel it was based on. But I wish someone would put it out on DVD...

Lillian Gish was absolutely wonderful as Miss Susie, as I recall. Dressed in period costume, she really was MISS SUSIE SLAGLE and someone I wanted to know. It was a powerful performance by a wonderful actress.

" Miss Susie Slagle's Is A Heartwarming Film "

Author: PamelaShort from Canada
13 December 2013

It was an unexpected pleasure watching this very charming film, a lovely sentimental story about a kindly woman Miss Susie ( Lillian Gish ) who has opened her large home for years as a boarding house for young men studying to become doctors. Lillian Gish gives a fine and sensitive performance of Miss Susie, who genuinely cares for each of her boys, always building their confidence, as no boy who stays at her home ever fails. Sonny Tufts plays 'Pug' Prentiss a good-natured fellow who suffers from a fear of death, he is a good student but is overcome by the thought of losing a patient. Joan Caufield plays a young girl, Margaretta Howe whose father is the physician and chief and professor of medicine at the medical school. She takes a real shine to Pug, but her brother Elijah Howe,Jr. ( Bill Edwards ) who is also a student is having a hard time keeping up his grades and resents his father's high position at the medical school. He leaves home and with Pug's help moves into Miss Susie Slagle's home, with the encouragement of Miss Susie and fellow students he is able to succeed and reunite with his father. Lonely nursing student Nan Rogers ( Veronica Lake ) has met lonely medical student Elbert Riggs ( Pat Phelan ) who is from China as his parents are missionaries. His dream is to become a doctor and live in China helping the poor. Nan and Elbert fall in love and together they plan their future until tragedy strikes, Elbert dies after contracting diphtheria. The brave Nan decides to continue her nursing studies and move to China to fulfil their dream of helping the less fortunate. Billy De Wolfe's character adds the comical touches and many supporting players including a young Lloyd Bridges all help to keep this interesting story move along at a pleasing leisurely pace. In one heart-touching scene a very young Bobby Driscoll plays a young boy who brings his injured dog to the clinic, where Pug and some fellow students save the dog's life. Miss Susie Slagle's could never be deemed as a classic film, however with many endearing moments amongst the characters, this film does have a good amount of charm and is adequately entertaining with a pleasing sentimental feel. I found it very heartwarming and hope some day it will be available as it should be, for all who appreciate a good story and older films.