IMDb > Batty Baseball (1944) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Batty Baseball More at IMDbPro »

Crazy Baseball A La Avery

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
13 March 2007

Being a Tex Avery cartoon, I wasn't surprised this was clever and had some laughs. Tex was one of the best.

This baseball story is played at "W.C. Field." (We then see a disclaimer stating "The guy who thought of this corny gag isn't with us any more.")

The game pits "The Yankee Doodlers" versus "The Draft Dodgers." As you can tell, this one is REALLY corny....but it sure is fun to watch. It's another of those baseball cartoons that mainly feature the pitcher, his assortment of pitches, and problems with the batter and umpire. This one also has a strange, "sad" ending!

This animated short was one of the features in the Jimmy Stewart baseball movie, "The Stratton Story" DVD.

The Yankee Doodlers versus The Draft Dodgers.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
12 May 2015

A wonderful little toon brought to us by Tex Avery and Fred Quimby. Basically it's an extended sequence of a cartoon pitcher pitching to various over sized cartoon batsmen, complete with wry narrations. Each pitch comes with a visual gag (love that curve ball), while the names of the teams and the name of the stadium also bring mirth to the party. You don't have to be a fan of baseball to enjoy this splendid piece of animation.

Music is by Scott Bradley, animation by Ray Abrams, Preston Blair, Ed Love and Claude Smith, and voices are provided by Wally Maher and Pinto Colvig. Batty Baseball can be found as an extra on the Region One DVD release of James Stewart's The Stratton Story. 8/10

Baseball, Tex Avery style

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
28 February 2002

This short is full of sight gags and is much more entertaining than the typical major-league game today, which is all about home runs. Tex Avery was in full form here and the ending is typical Avery. I love it and think it's hilarious, myself. Some of the gags are a bit dated, but it's great fun and I'm glad that this is in print. Well worth watching. Recommended.