IMDb > Three Little Twirps (1943) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Three Little Twirps More at IMDbPro »

What an Ugly Horse

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
4 March 2016

Three Little Twirps (1943)

*** (out of 4)

The Three Stooges are working as poster hangers when the circus owner refuses to pay them in money but instead tickets to the show. Once at the show all sorts of chaos happens when the Stooges try to sell discount tickets.

THREE LITTLE TWIRPS seems to get a lot of negative reviews among fans of the Stooges but that's why comedy is quite subjective. For my money this isn't one of the best shorts that the trio did but it contains one of their funniest bits. There's a sequence where Larry and Curly get into a horse costume that is so awful looking that you can't help but laugh. The gag gets even better as they're taken to the butcher who wants to shoot the horse and feed it to the lions. This entire sequence had me laughing out loud and this alone makes the short worth watching.

Perhaps the funniest 20 minutes of my life!

Author: The_Juggalo5588 from United States
12 August 2010

I first saw this short when i was 4 years old, and for 18 years no matter how many of the stooges films i see, This one will no doubt always remain my favorite. From the opening Scene i cant stop laughing, The insults, the slaps, the punches, the one liners, Their all typical stooge lines... Flawless. They do a job and end up paid with circus tickets, They get to the circus they cause a riot. They get of "easy" by joining the circus, little do they know their human targets for the Spear thrower. And when curly gets loose and throws the spear back, The ending of this flick is downright hilarious. I highly recommend this for any fan of the stooges, And any fan of Comedy!

"Boy, what some people will do to earn a living."

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
17 September 2007

"Three Little Twirps" is a pretty good Three Stooges short starring Curly, Larry, and Moe. The theme of this short is the circus: not the Ringling Bros. or Barnum & Bailey, but Herman's Combined Great Shows, of which the Stooges are poster hangers.

Highlights: In order to escape from the circus authorities, Curly and Larry hide themselves inside a horse costume, which fools a nearsighted circus attendant (Chester Conklin); he sticks a huge, long blade into the horsehide and then says, "Hey, you're supposed to fall down!" While the Stooges are pasting up posters, Curly accidentally rips off the head of an ape on one of the posters, so he pops his own head through the hole he made in order to fool the boss (Stanley Blystone), who comments, "That wild man seems uglier every time I look at him." At the end, while Curly is being pursued by an insane spear thrower (Duke York), Curly falls off a tightrope, through a flimsy paper net, and finally, through a huge hole in the ground, after which Moe and Larry both dive in after him.

Harry Edwards, who directed "Three Little Twirps," was reportedly a man the Stooges despised, but his direction for this film seemed to be efficient. If you can bear the embarrassing scene of Curly with Effie the Bearded Lady and forget about it once it's over, you can then enjoy the rest of the comedy.

Wrong

Author: lzf0 from United States
2 January 2004

Harry Edwards had no idea how to handle the Stooges. Instead of presenting them as lovable, bumbling fools, he presented them as unsympathetic pests. He did the same in his previous film with Howard, Fine and Howard, "Matri-Phony". After this disaster, Moe Howard asked that the Stooges never again work with director Edwards. (They never did.) The Stooges were not the only Columbia comedians to reject Edwards. Comedienne Vera Vague found Edwards so inept that she refused to work with him under any circumstance. Edwards was assigned to work with his long time friend, legendary comedian Harry Langdon. The later Langdon shorts are difficult to sit through. Once Langdon was dead and gone from Columbia, Edwards was fired and replaced with sound man Ed Bernds, who directed many of the best Columbia shorts from the late 1940s.

Great Three Stooges short! Its a classic!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
19 October 2004

The Three Stooges has always been some of the many actors that I have loved. I love just about every one of the shorts that they have made. I love all six of the Stooges (Curly, Shemp, Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe)! All of the shorts are hilarious and also star many other great actors and actresses which a lot of them was in many of the shorts! In My opinion The Three Stooges is some of the greatest actors ever and is the all time funniest comedy team!

Three Little Twirps is one of My all time favorite Curly shorts and I think it one of the best ever made! Stanley Blystone, Bud Jamison, Heinie Conklin, Al Thompson, and Duke York are all in this short. The beginning is so funny and all of the circus Stooges scenes are hilarious and the actual circus scenes are neat! I strongly recommend Three Little Twirps!