IMDb > The Seventh Victim (1943) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Clearing Up The Confusing Plot Line

Author: fordraff (fordraff@ptd.net) from Stroudsburg, PA
5 January 2003

Many viewers of "The Seventh Victim" find the plot confusing. My comment may explain why and help clear up the matter.

"The Seventh Victim" was intended as an A film, but four scenes that had been photographed were edited out, as "Victim" was cut to a B film's running time of 71 minutes. This was a result of Lewton insisting that Mark Robson, who'd never directed a film before, direct this one. The studio brass didn't want Robson and gave Lewton a choice: get rid of Robson or lose the A-picture budget. Lewton chose Robson.

Following are the four scenes that were cut. Were they still in the film, the film's plot would make more sense than it now does.

Scene 1 - Gregory Ward visits Mary at the day care center where she works. In this scene, Mary admits, "It would be easier if Jacqueline were dead." At the beginning of the scene which remains in the picture--of Judd visiting Mary--Mary's supervisor says to her, "Aren't you the popular one? You've a visitor again," the last word making it clear she'd had an earlier visitor, Ward, whom we don't see because of the cut.

Scene 2 - Trying to discover what the Palladists have as a hold on Mary, Judd visits Mrs. Cortez, pretending to be interested in joining the group. Two points are made in this conversation between Judd and Mrs. Cortez: (a) That if good exists, evil exists, and one is free to choose. (b) Mrs. Cortez became a Palladist because, "Life has betrayed us. We've found that there is no heaven on earth, so we must worship evil for evil's sake."

Scene 3 - Judd makes a second, longer visit to Mrs. Cortez, indicating that he is ready to join the Palladists. In this conversation, Judd unintentionally reveals that Jacqueline is staying with Mary at the rooming house. This lets us know how the Palladists were able to trace Jacqueline to Mary's room in order to kidnap her. In the truncated print, viewers haven't a clue as to how the Palladists found Jacqueline.

Scene 4 - A final scene, which followed Jacqueline's suicide. Mary, Gregory, and Jason meet at the Dante restaurant. Gregory and Mary go off together, leaving Jason standing before the restaurant's mural of Dante and Beatrice, making clear his failure as an artist and lover; he says, "I am alive, yet every hope I had is dead. Death can be good. Death can be happy. If I could speak like Cyrano...then perhaps, you might understand."

In the British release print, Jason recites the entire Lord's Prayer to the Palladists, while only two lines of the Prayer remain in the American print, which is the one usually shown.

"I run to death and death meets me as fast,/And all my pleasures are like yesterday" are from Donne's Holy Sonnet 1, lines 3 and 4. I believe the film credits them to Donne's Holy Sonnet 7.

Details about Lewton insisting on Robson as director and the cutting of these four scenes can be found in "Fearing the Dark: The Val Lewton Career" by Edmund G. Bansak (McFarland) and "Val Lewton: The Reality of Terror" by Joel E. Siegel (Viking).

The Most Terrifying Movie I have ever seen--and the only film I can call a Masterpiece.

Author: sdiner82 (sdiner82@aol.com) from New York City, USA
20 October 2002

I first saw "The Seventh Victim" on TV when I was a highschool teenager in New Jersey in 1960. I had no film knowledge, no idea of who Val Lewton was. Our local station Channel 9 had the rights to the RKO film library, and simply tossed "The Seventh Victim" into a 90-minute time-slot (a 71 minute movie interrupted every 10 minutes with a blast of commercials). Even so, seeing this movie under the worst possible circumstances, I was nonetheless hypnotized by its eerie, morbid, downright shocking handling of a fairly typical thriller premise: A young girl (the luminous Kim Hunter, in her first film) is informed by the staff of the Catholic girls' school she attends that her sister, who lives in New York City and owns a thriving women's fragrance emporium, has not paid her tuition bills for several months and has apparently vanished. Ms. Hunter goes to Manhattan to find her sister, whom she traces to the West Village, where the rest of the story is set. A trustful, kind-hearted innocent girl suddenly thrust into a series of increasingly frightening situations populated by a huge cast of supporting characters (and nobody is quite what meets the eye), Ms. Hunter and the viewer are sent down a series of dark alleys that eventually culminate in the most terrifying, nerve-needling, shocking ending of any film I have ever seen. "The Seventh Victim" has stayed in my mind (and haunted my dreams) ever since I first saw it. I now live in New York and have scoured the West Village for the locations of the scenes in "The Seventh Victim" (which, of course, was shot on the RKO Greenwich Village backlot--but is a perfect replica of the deceptively beautiful West Village as it appears even today: cobblestoned streets, majestic townhouses converted into brownstone apartments, cozy, family-run Italian restaurants, and the most colorful, fascinating, complex and entrancing people you'll neet anywhere in the entire world. This mis en scene is captured perfectly in "The Seventh Victim," which another reviewer on this website so perfectly described as a series of Edward Hopper paintings brought to sinister,yet alluring, black-and-white life. I won't go into plot details, since they have been well-covered by other IMDB reviewers. Hitchcock obviously saw this film and used its terrifying shower scene for the centerpiece of "Psycho." To this day, this modest, unpretentious, off-beat chiller remains relatively unknown (except for film-buffs), yet when I showed it to my guests at a dinner party a few years ago, they gradually fell under its creepily hypnotic spell, and, towards the end, when Ms. Hunter's sister is stalked by an unknown killer on the darkened Village streets, a quick camera shot of the stalker reaching into his pocket and pulling out a switchblade made three of my guests scream, How "The Seventh Victim" ever got past the censors in 1943 I'll never know I've read that the film had a strong lesbian undertone that drove the members of the Hays Office into cardiac arrest. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea, nor do I care. The artists who made "The Seventh Victim" created a true work of art-a poetic, chilling, ravishing masterpiece--a pretentious word I've never applied to any other movie, but will, without hesitation, apply to the most intelligent, audacious and spellbinding movie I have ever seen.

Offbeat and very creepy

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
27 October 2003

Spooky film about a young woman getting involved with a group of devil worshippers in NYC.

In terms of subject matter this is ahead of its time--it was probably the first film to deal seriously with cults. The film also is the film debut of Kim Hunter (later to win an Oscar for "A Streetcar Named Desire") and has an early performance by Hugh Beaumont (later on "Father Knows Best"). Also Tom Conway was in this and two other top horror films of the 40s--"I Walked With A Zombie" and "Cat People".

This is one of the very low-budget horror films that producer Val Lewton made for RKO in the 1940s. He was given only "B" actors to work with and zero money, but he turned in some true classics. He used darkness and shadow very effectively making some of the creepiest-looking sets on film. Also he NEVER showed anything explicitly--he always kept the monsters or violence off screen and just suggested at it. It works beautifully.

This movie is the least known of all of them (probably because of the subject matter), but it's probably the best one. The plot and themes are handled matter-of-factly and the sets are truly eerie. The performances are all low-key perfectly fitting the script. Even the obligatory love story shoehorned in works. There's also a VERY bizarre shower sequence and a grim ending.

Definitely worth seeing...a must for horror fans. A 10 all the way!

Another stylish chiller from Val Lewton's RKO unit

Author: bmacv from Western New York
2 October 2000

As a longtime booster of The Cat People, I tended to give the credit to its director Jacques Tourneur (later to helm Out of the Past). Seeing The Seventh Victim, also from Val Lewton's B-movie unit at RKO, changed all that. It seems Lewton was the resident genius, cobbling together stylish horror/suspense films on shoestring budgets. The young Kim Hunter, away at a private school, learns that her tuition hasn't been paid because her sister, owner of a beauty empire, has disappeared. She leaves school and starts scouring New York's Greenwich Village (also the locale of much of The Cat People) only to uncover a cult of devil worshipers. Lewton's thrillers haven't dated the way James Whale's, for instance, have, possibly because they depend so heavily on suggestion; the literalness of today's "horror" films is completely alien to these suggestive, truly chilling films. The RKO B-movie unit under Lewton was also, probably, a major influence on the look of film noir, soon to become the cutting-edge aesthetic in American movies. This is as tense and satisfying a 75 minutes as you'll find until the Mann/Alton team's seminal noirs of a few years later.

Must see picture

Author: Michelle Woods (michelle-woods) from United States
20 October 2005

I saw "The Seventh Victim" for the first time just last night, and found it to be absolutely captivating. The entire movie had a strange "eeriness" to it, that had me completely mesmerized throughout. Jean Brooks was absolutely amazing, in the role of Jacklyn (the Sister who was trying to escape the Satanic cult). It was as though she was put on earth to play this role. Her demeanor was so melancholy... One minute I was frightened for her life, and felt very sad for her. The next minute I was afraid of her! I highly recommend this movie to anyone who has appreciation for black and white films. Movies of today just don't have the same way of drawing in their audience, as those old black and white pictures. I am only 28 years old, and I have always had an obsession with classic films. This one is defiantly at the top of my list, a must see.

Moody, atmospheric and unsettling

Author: anonymous from UK
5 July 1999

No surprise that Val Lewton was involved with The Seventh Victim, his fingerprints can be seen on every frame. Like Cat People and I Walked With A Zombie, the atmosphere oozes from the screen, although Tournier was not involved here. Young Kim Hunter tries to find her sister, only to find she has fallen into the clutches of a group of Satanists. Oddly, the Satanists are presented as a gentile bunch, no raving lunatics here, they all seem disturbingly sane. There are some magnificent images here. Hunter breaking into her sisters room to find nothing but a chair and a noose, a creepy shower scene that pre-dates Psycho and the extraordinary downbeat ending. A grim little chiller that remains unsettlingly plausible throughout.

moody suspenseful gem worth seeking out

Author: limsgirl
17 August 2001

This little known and scantily screened Val Lewton masterpiece is a must see. The eerie atmosphere established at the boarding school where Kim Hunter learns of her sister's disappearance continues throughout. Scenes including her nightmarish experience in a darkened cosmetic company hallway illustrate how far afield recent film has gotten from true suspense as sustained in the imagination of the viewer. The chilling normalcy of the lives of the Satanists she comes to be pursuing in an effort to understand what has happened to her sister, and their quiet menace as they later gather forces to will the suicide of one of their ranks is gripping. The scenes depicting her sister's frantic run through the streets to escape a pursuer will remind others of the opening of Lewton's other little shown film The Leopard Man. Viewing this film further reinforces my belief that an intelligent film patron does not need to be clubbed over the head by excessive gore and violence to be truly scared by a film if the story is intriguing and the execution is as good as in The Seventh Victim.

Unique

Author: Prof_Lostiswitz from Cyberia
18 April 2002

I ran this tape for a few seconds to see if it was in good condition, and I was so drawn in by the hypnotic atmosphere that I dropped all else and watched the whole movie. Such is its power, it won,t let you go. Every relationship in the movie felt real and credible, despite the extreme circumstances.

Lewton is a humanitarian, which is why his movies have so much more profundity than most film noir. You really feel that you care about his characters, even the sleazy satanists (similar to the way he had made Irena the cat-woman a kind and gentle person, where anyone else would have cast her as a tough cookie). All the characters in this movie are complex people of the sort he must have known in his New York days, and the poet manque is likely a self portrait. And who else would quote John Donne's poetry in a thriller.

It will take repeated viewings for me (and you) to understand The Seventh Victim, but the sombre mood will communicate itself immediately.

Be alert for little details throughout- especially at the end, which comes suddenly.

Seven is a Lonely Number

Author: frosty-26
30 May 2000

A bleakly beautiful film set in an impossibly lonely Manhattan. It looks uncannily like an Edward Hopper painting translated to film. And it's look is timeless rather than dated. Another incredible Val Lewton film, and an amazing poetic achievement for a B-movie.

None of The Lord's Prayer survives in British TV print.

Author: jimsimpson (jims@crusaid.org.uk) from United Kingdom
22 September 2004

I'm amazed not one reviewer has mentioned the outstanding contribution by Jean Brooks as the missing Jacqueline Gibson. Although she makes a late appearance Jean is very impressive in her five scenes, particularly her monologue describing how she came to join the Palladists and her nighttime flight being pursued by the assassin with the switchblade. None of the Lord's prayer survives in the print shown on British television. This is strange as two lines were reportedly intact when the film was originally shown in British cinemas.The excellent Brooks who appeared in two other Lewton films was sadly wasted by RKO and subsequently relegated to support and bit roles.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]