IMDb > Reason and Emotion (1943) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Reason and Emotion More at IMDbPro »

Disney's psychological side

Author: Coolguy-7 from USA
28 May 2001

This short features two parts of the human mind: reason and emotion (hence the title of the short). Reason, who is depicted as an egghead nerd, urges us to think and "reason" something before we actually do it. Emotion, who is depicted as a caveman, urges us to act as we feel. One part I enjoy is where Reason and Emotion are shown in both the man and the woman. Emotion urges the man to walk up to the woman and say/do what he feels like to her. Reason tells Emotion to "retain respect for womanhood." The man listens to Emotion and the consequence is a slap in the face. The woman's version of Reason and Emotion are both females. Emotion wants some high-calorie foods whereas Reason settles for something light like tea and toast. The result for listening to Emotion is a large figure. This is one of those wartime cartoons as it shows Reason and Emotion in a Nazi's mind. Emotion states that Hitler did not want war, but he was only forced into it whereas Reason states that Hitler is a liar.

I remember seeing this short when I was young on "Walt Disney Presents." That version has all WWII references censored, which ruins much of the interest of the cartoon.

An Instance Of Never Letting The Worst Of Any Bad Situation Overcome You.

Author: Dawalk-1 from Hialeah, Florida
26 May 2015

As the title of my review of this reads and suggests, this is just the point that explains it. This is one of my favorite animated shorts of not only Disney and wartime (even though there's only a slight wartime reference in it all all), but of the golden era of animation and in general. A vivid exemplification and manifestation of what can happen when one jumps to conclusions and lets the worst thing get the best of him/her, in the form of two tiny people inside one's mind who control it. Sentiment must never dominate sensibility and they both must work in conjunction and equally in order to lessen the problems, predicaments, and troubles that may arise later. That's the message of why the rationalism half is so important. Concerning the aforementioned one dominating the other, this can be applied to the male Reason and Emotion in the mind of a listener in the audience at Hitler's speech. Basically, one should never let the worst circumstances get the best of him or her. Then, there's also resisting the temptation of overindulging, as in the case of the female counterparts of Reason and Emotion, who occupied the mind of a lady who gained weight feasting too much in a diner, thanks to the female Emotion's ineluctable appetite. These lessons are not only very useful in preparing for combat, but also in everyday life. Anyway, this is both a fun and interesting cartoon, and I enjoyed it very much, very well done and accomplished in explaining how those parts of mentality can either work with or against you, especially without wisdom. Love the concept.

Use Your Reason

Author: RbDeraj from United States
31 January 2015

This short's aim was to teach the American people about reason and emotion and how to let reason take control of your actions and let emotions go by the wayside. It uses excellent analogies of Emotion (as a caveman) and Reason (a sophisticated intellectual) driving a car that is your mind. When Emotion takes the driver's seat, things usually end badly with the consequences of poor decisions. The wartime propaganda eventually comes out about half way through and they show a comical sharp toothed, clawed representation of Hitler with ridiculous hair, brainwashing and twisting the emotions of Germans to get them to do his bidding. The whole subject is somewhat ironic in the fact that this is propaganda whose point is to disguise the underlying goal of using your reason and emotions to make you think a certain way, but at least the message is a good one. It is an entertaining short with comedy and some good lessons to learn like thinking for yourself, not relying on your emotions, respecting women, having self control, not being gluttonous and standing up against evil. I think our society today is in desperate need of learning some of these principles.

Excellent short if seen uncut-the edited version is almost worse than nothing at all!

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
22 March 2002

This is one of Disney's best. But as with a handful of other shorts, this one is heavily edited by a Disney Co. skittish about negative images relating to World War II. It should be seen in it's entirety. The editing doesn't do a marvelous short justice. Well worth the trouble to find. Most highly recommended.

Oh, what to do.

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
25 July 2004

If there is anyone out there who read the comic book 'Beezer' as a kid then you will be familiar with 'The Knumbskulls'. A strip about a guy with little dudes living in him that control what he does. This short uses the same device to make an important, kind of subtle, point to us.

Some guy, starting out as a baby, sometimes follows his emotions and at other times sense. Just like everyone else. He sees a woman he likes on the street and follows his emotions. It ends up a slap in the face, but her common sense reacted, not her emotions, which said 'yes'.

The point of this is that Hitler used emotions to keep the Nazi's brainwashed. None of them used common sense to figure out that he was a lunatic.

But perhaps today we should still use our common sense to not believe rubbish published in tabloids or biased news stations. The logic applies to many things, not just Hitler's Nazi regime.