IMDb > Fin n' Catty (1943) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fin n' Catty More at IMDbPro »

Sort of like Sylverster and Tweety but a lot earlier.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
3 November 2010

This is one of the special features on the DVD for Warner Brothers' "Old Acquaintance". I love how the classic Warner films on DVD always seem to come with various extras--including a short and a cartoon from the same year as the feature film.

This Loony Toons cartoon is a lot like the later Sylvester and Tweety cartoons, but as these two characters were not created until later, this film stars a cute cat and an equally cute goldfish. And, like the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons, the cat spends the film trying to eat the fish and the fish outwits him again and again---but not nearly as easily as Tweety did, but in ways that still were quite funny. I loved the scene with the shower...but I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it. Plus, it turns out to have a very cute ending...one I certainly didn't expect!! Well made and funny--this is a marvelous little cartoon.

Cats may hate water, goldfish may hate cats, but I love this toon.

Author: Spider-Lou from Bristol, CT
11 February 2004

One of Chuck Jones' smaller efforts pits a hungry cat against a hat-wearing goldfish. The only deterrent is that the fish is in water, and according to the disembodied voice, "cats hate water". While that isn't necessarily true, the concept worked for this cat. Even if his claw gets wet, the cat rushes to the paper towels. You wonder why the fish taunts him, even stepping out of his safety zone, but without that there wouldn't be much of a story. Nevertheless, this happens to be an extremely funny sight gag show, especially when Jones used his trademark facial expressions, and spelling with underwater bubbles, in the scene when the cat discovers he is immersed completely in water.

A minor flaw is where the cat plugs up the dripping faucet with his paw. He still would have gotten wet from that I think.

Good running gags

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
30 September 2003

As we all know - cats hate water and goldfish hate cats. So when a cat wants to try and catch a goldfish in his bowl, how does he go about it? Well, here we see a cat trying to catch a fish without getting wet while the fish, realising this weakness, does all he can to get the cat wet.

Despite a dodgey narration start this cartoon actually is pretty funny. The use of running gags which are funny the first and last time make the material a lot better. Some of it doesn't totally work and the end is weak but that isn't too much of a problem as the laughs were pretty consistent for me the whole way.

The cat character is good - witness his repeated panicked run to get paper towels for himself, but the fish character is not as good as he could have been. Given that the audience were meant to get behind him, he is drawn (in both sense) a little bland and I enjoyed the cat more.

Overall though this was an enjoyable cartoon which uses running (literally) gags pretty well to create a consistent vein of humour that works.