IMDb > Kate & Leopold (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kate & Leopold

Kate & Leopold More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Charming romantic comedy...with time travel weaknesses...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
6 March 2004

If you can accept the totally ridiculous premise of KATE AND LEOPOLD and enjoy romantic fantasies of this sort, you'll find yourself drawn into the plot because of the very charismatic HUGH JACKMAN. He is the main reason for watching and carries the film on his sturdy shoulders, so adept is he at being a "knight in shining armor".

As for MEG RYAN, she is giving her usual Meg Ryan schtick--a sort of slightly brighter version of Goldie Hawn--but here it doesn't matter because Jackman manages to steal every scene he's in. BRECKIN MEYER is excellent as her boorish brother who learns a few things from his 18th Century friend about manners and etiquette. But it's the time travel aspect of the story that is its weakest link.

Highly recommended as a romantic comedy that owes much of its charm to the performance of its leading man--an actor of remarkable skill whose hunky presence dominates much of the movie.

It's the sort of romantic fluff that would have starred JEAN ARTHUR and GARY COOPER had it been made in the '30s. The New York location photography is excellent.

Cinematography and writing drew me in

Author: gorwell777 from Baltimore, Maryland
26 November 2002

Honestly, my wife rented this and I wasn't planning on watching - but the luscious cinematography and some interesting writing drew me in. Hugh Jackman sealed the deal with his totally straight portrayal - this guy's earning power can only go up! Looking for some fluff and a laugh? It's better than most of the romantic comedy crap out there. Not a waste of time if you are in the mood to have something wash over you.

Fine movie...could have been better though

Author: tnkcool from India
16 February 2005

I'm a fan of Meg Ryan and think that she's one of the best there is in Hollywood right now. Yet, I believe that it was HUGH JACKMAN who stole the show in this movie. He is so charming and charismatic that you can hardly resist falling head over heels for him! Leopold is a duke from the 18th century who mistakenly lands up in the 21st century one day...and is obviously bewildered with everything he sees. He stays with the man who got him there at the first place, Stuart,Kate's (Meg Ryan) ex-boyfriend. Predictably, Leopold falls in love with Kate and she retaliates. Yet, he has to go back where he came from, and that poses a problem for their relationship. It's a cute movie, yet, I couldn't agree with the ending, though it was predictable. I just couldn't see eye to eye with the reasoning they gave us for the step Kate took. Okay movie...great if you have nothing else to do and like chick-flicks. That's exactly the reason I watched it. I liked it..but I've seen better by Meg Ryan.

A modern fairy tale for romantic souls

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
17 December 2004

Kate & Leopold is more or less a romantic comedy that has been done so many times before. Woman and man see each other and don't like each other. Than they fall in love, but destiny comes in between them. In the end they overcome all problems and will live happily ever after...

It's exactly the same as always, but this time they have added an interesting extra ingredient to it. Kate, her brother, her ex and Leopold all live in New York. The only problem is that Leopold is from the 1870's, while the others live in the 21st century. Kate's brother has found a way to travel through time, meets Leopold and accidentally takes him with him to the 21st century. I guess I don't have to explain everything that happens afterward...

Even though I'm not always a huge fan of romantic comedies, I have to admit that I had a good time watching this one. Thanks to the original approach, this movie is better than average. The actors are convincing, although I was surprised to see how easily a man from the 19th century adapted to the 21st. It never really seemed a shocking experience to him. If I had directed the movie, I would have accentuated it more... But hey, if you can see past that and you are a romantic soul, I'm sure that you'll love this modern fairy tale. You know it's impossible, but you would like to believe it. I give it a 7/10 for that.

Enjoy this movie!

Author: gyendole from Canada
24 November 2002

For those whose comments show a serious lack of humour, get a life! Why find picky details to criticise when this movie is here to enjoy! Those not hung up with identifying finer points of historical inaccuracy, go ahead and enjoy the movie. It is a comedy, not a PhD thesis. A good 2 hours of fun (but I must admit Meg Ryan's hair is a bit scruffy)

Funny lines, bad plot, one hot actor

Author: Kimberwyn
6 January 2004

"Kate & Leopold" is not a top quality film, but has some seriously funny and entertaining moments. Most of those were delivered from Breckin Meyer, who plays Kate's brother. For example, the part when he keeps talking in the background and nobody is listening to him. I also enjoyed when he said "we have a saying in our household 'shake and bake the chicken'" or something of that sort.

The best part of this movie by far is Hugh Jackman. Not only is he devastatingly dashing and handsome, but his performance shows off his acting chops quite well. However, he and Meg Ryan had little on screen chemistry.

If you like silly romantic comedies, or if you just like Hugh Jackman, I would advise you to check out this film. You also shouldn't expect much plot wise. The script lacks continuity and has a few plot holes and many inconceivable ideas (well, so do most films, but others do a better job of making you believe it).

**1/2

enjoyable fluff with extraordinary character

Author: cjvornheder from United States
9 March 2006

This movie wouldn't really be anything to write home about. You could call it science fiction because it's about time travel, but any serious science fiction buff would know better. But, there's something absolutely extraordinary about this movie that has me watching it again and again. I wasn't a big Hugh Jackman fan when I watched this movie. I suppose I'm still not. I'm too old for that kind of thing, but the character Leopold has a stillness, a quality of listening and putting other people (man or woman) first. He demonstrates an etiquette that is not at all stiff, that is less about precise forms and rules than about a genuine care for other people. I go back and watch Kate and Leopold when I wish I knew somebody who cared that much for me.

Enjoyable fantasy

Author: gshipp from New Jersey, USA
25 October 2004

Kate and Leopold was not a perfect movie, but I enjoyed the fantasy. With all the stress and bad news in the real world today, I like to take an escapist trip with a movie now and then. Hugh Jackman is very engaging as Prince

Charming, I mean Leopold. Meg Ryan is okay but I agree with the other posters who say that her hair and lips are distracting. I disagree that she is too old, given that she was about 38 when she made the film.

I'd like to see the sequel, "Kate and Leopold: Rude Awakening" where Kate

realizes that she will never again vote, own property, have a career, be taken seriously by any other man besides her husband, wear a comfortable bra, use a tampon, and her chances of dying during childbirth will increase dramatically.

Leopold should have stayed in the present and had a successful career as a TV commercial actor. I think they could have overcome the problems with the

elevators.

Charming, though could have been much better (Possible spoilers)

Author: Daigh from Chicago
20 August 2004

Dear folks who hated this movie,

If you didn't like Bewitched, or Dark Shadows, or oldie's but goodies, like Here Comes Mr. Jordon, or I Married a Witch, you aren't going to like Kate and Leopold. It's a fantasy which makes it your broccoli and spinach salad with cod liver oil dressing. So, please move on and let the rest of us enjoy it.

This is not to say the movie is without flaws. It's got them. K&L has been out for a couple of years now and people still complain about Leopold's suit and plot holes and the supposed incest. Interestingly, when I first read a very early blurb about the movie it said that Leopold was from 200 years in the past, which would have put him in about the Regency era. The 200 years would have also pushed the 'incest' concern back another three or four generations. It would also have explained his Regency style getup. The folks who were doing the counting on this incest thing would have to have at least admitted that at 6 or 7 generations removed, Kate and Start would have only shared something like 1/138th blood. That's a bit less than the 1/4 it would be for second cousins marrying, etc. If you keep it at 100 or so years separation, it would still be around 1/16th shared blood. But even that kind of thinking means we're getting away from 'it's a fantasy, folks!'

I have a few personal gripes about the movie. When it was out at the theater I saw it twice. Not a usual occurrence for me, even with Hugh Jackman's hunky persona. Frankly, during the first viewing, I could not get past Meg Ryan's hair. I was literally stunned by it. She's such a pretty woman, it amazes me that she thinks (or thought) that the Cookie the Clown haircut was cute. Not! Ms. Ryan, what were you thinking? Was this a mid-life crisis reaction?

I've gotten used to Ms. Ryan's hair now and just don't see it anymore. But her performance, seemed to be Meg Ryan phoning is as Meg Ryan. Hugh Jackman was utterly charming as Leopold and so was the young actor who played Kate's brother. Some of their scenes together are the best in the movie.

I though the use of profanity was overdone. My reaction is not out of prudishness (I can use the f-word and a heap of others when my car has a flat or won't start or I'm stuck in traffic, etc.) But it seems to me to lessen the authenticity of a character's intelligence. (Think about that the next time you overhear someone swearing continually in line at the grocery store.) It surprised me that Leopold didn't object to Kate's constant swearing (she was, after all, a lady) or that he didn't make a comment on it in general. I didn't feel he was reacting within the social attitudes of his own time. Even if it is a fantasy, he's not going to acclimate to our times all *that* quickly.

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, so had no problem with the supposed 'incest' line. It's fantasy. And it's a paradox to begin with. During the time frame Stuart and Kate are in, Kate is NOT his several times removed great-grandmother. Think about *that* end of it. So, shared blood aside, I can't say I'm sure who it was who was getting their knickers in a twist over that.

That all said, it is a charming movie that could have been a blockbuster hit the likes of Sleepless but is not. I'm not sure where the fault lies in that. The Cookie the Clown haircut? Direction? The last minute/panic edit? Certainly in some of the writing. At this date none of that is going to change, so simply enjoy the movie for itself. There are far worse ways to spend two hours.

(6/10)

Well Done !

Author: spokar from The Netherlands
5 May 2003

I must admit the characters in Kate & Leopold were superb.! Meg Ryan was great and Hugh Jackman .... incredible. This is the kind of movie you'd skip a night out in town on a saturday night to watch. This is definitely for the women out there who still believe in true romance. I'm one of them ! I really don't mind watching Hugh Jackman in more comedy romances. Leopold will sweep you off your feet and steal your heart away.!

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]