IMDb > Girls' Town (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Girls' Town More at IMDbPro »

Dull, dull, dull!

Author: JohnHowardReid
28 April 2015

I'm amazed that this dull second-rate offering from the notoriously skinflint Producers Releasing Corporation has received a "seven" rating from viewers here on IMDb. Maybe some of these enthusiasts were confusing this movie with the riotous 1959 Albert Zugsmith production of the same name, starring the stunning Mamie Van Doren? I'd certainly give that one a "seven". But "five" for this effort is mighty generous. I should give it only "three" or "four", but the cast is good and I hate to downgrade a movie with some of my favorite players like Alice White, Anna Q. Nilsson, Edith Fellows, June Storey and Vince Barnett. although I'm sure all of them would agree with me that Victor Halperin's aggressively dull, super slow- paced direction virtually scuttled all their efforts to liven up the dreary proceedings. In fact, Halperin succeeds to dampen almost every effort the players make to display a bit of charisma. This turned out to be Halperin's last movie -- and no wonder. Halperin did good work on "White Zombie (1932) and "Supernatural" (1933), but here he is right out of his element.