IMDb > Fresh Hare (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fresh Hare More at IMDbPro »

A scwewy wabbit vs. a Canadian Mountie

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
8 March 2008

"Fresh Hare," directed by Friz Freleng, is a very good Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon. Bugs is wanted dead or alive by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and who should be the Mountie tracking him down but the dopey Elmer Fudd!

Highlights: When Elmer handcuffs Bugs, Bugs' other hand extends out of the hole in the ground and feels (in succession) the cuffs, Elmer's brass buttons, and Elmer's nose, all in rhythm to Carl Stalling's clever musical accompaniment. Elmer chases Bugs underground and knocks into a tree; snow dumps off of the tree to reveal Christmas decorations while "Jingle Bells" can be heard, and the snow on Elmer's face gives him the resemblance of Santa. Elmer and Bugs repeatedly mark their silhouettes into a snowbank, until Elmer spots the silhouette of a shapely woman in place of Bugs' silhouette.

"Fresh Hare" is a funny cartoon, but the final scene (a minstrel show) is of such questionable taste nowadays that it was cut from certain television stations' prints of the film.

Bugs is at it again

Author: TheOtherFool from The Netherlands
11 June 2004

Elmer Fudd is a mountie on Bugs Bunny hunt (what else, really), as Bugs is wanted for several 'crimes' in the area. He finally finds and cuffs him but somehow Bugs switches himself with a bomb so poor Elmer is blown up... yet again.

Several chases follow, and this is a very funny part. They both crash in and out snow-walls, leaving funny figures. See it for yourself, very amusing.

The ending is a bit weird, as Bugs feels sorry for Elmer and turns himself in. While standing for a death-squad he is asked if he has one last wish. He has, and it somehow includes dressing up and singing a song, but I didn't really get that.

Some nice chases and a fun cartoon: 7/10.

Fresh fun with Bugs and Elmer

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
3 March 2013

Bugs and Elmer always work well together and are enough to brighten up a hard day. And Fresh Hare, a very early effort(one of their first I believe), is no exception. Bugs is as crafty yet likable as he ever was, and while somewhat smarter than usual Elmer contrasts and works to great effect with him. Mel Blanc and Arthur Q. Bryan voice them impeccably. Several other great things work in Fresh Hare's favour. The animation is detailed and luscious, of course Elmer is fatter than we usually see him and Bugs more elongated but they are still well drawn within this stage in Looney Tunes animation. The music is full of energy and character, and is always pleasant on the ears. The dialogue is as witty and funny as ever, and the gags are clever and imaginative. The story is simple but with never a dull spot, it is fun all the way through. I do agree though that the ending is random and rather awkward(some may also find it tasteless). Overall with this in mind, Fresh Hare is great. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Very Funny! Filled With Many Laughs!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
3 May 2012

In the Canadian North Woods, Bugs is wanted dead or alive and Elmer Fudd is out to bring him in. This is one of the first shorts that started it all between Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny. This is a very early one, in fact, it's from the year 1942, so this one was made during World War Two. If you ask me, I find this one really funny as well! This is not from the Looney Tunes series, in fact, it is from the Merrie Melodies series of cartoon shorts, but that doesn't change a thing, this is hysterical, it is as funny as the Looney Tunes cartoon shorts that would eventually appear in the late 1940's and all throughout the 1950's!

This is sort of typical for Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, the latter chasing after the former trying to catch him but is unable to do it. However, this time around, Elmer Fudd is trying to capture Bugs because he is wanted of a series of crimes and offenses. That makes this one different from many of the other ones that I have seen. This whole cartoon is really funny, especially the scenes where Fudd is chasing Bugs, as well as the ending! Or let me put it this way, the whole cartoon is entirely funny all the way through from start to finish. There is not one single dull moment, not one.

In short, like many of the Looney Tunes cartoon shorts that I have watched, and like many other Merrie Melodies cartoon shorts that I have watched, this one is a hysterical laugh fest that is bound to get you laughing when you watch it! Sure, it's not that long, only about seven or eight minutes. But in only seven or eight minutes, you will get a whole lot of laughs out of what you will be seeing! This is also one of the best of the Merrie Melodies cartoon series that I've ever seen! Fresh Hare will get you laughing like a maniac, don't miss out of the fun!

about the ending

Author: SnydleyDownDeep from United States
19 January 2010

"Dixie" was a film released around the same time as this cartoon; it starred Bing Crosby, one of the biggest stars at the time. (Look up "Dixie (1943)" on IMDb for more info about the movie.) Most people in the audience of the cartoon would have been familiar with the movie, and the movie has the cast doing minstrel shows in black face. So at the end of the cartoon, when Bugs says "I wish I was in Dixie" and they cut to the cartoon characters doing a minstrel show in black face, the joke is that Bugs is wishing he were in the movie "Dixie".

Many of the Looney Tune and Merrie Melodie cartoons contain jokes that would have been relevant to the audience at the time. Unfortunately, when the cartoons are viewed 60-70 years later, same jokes no longer make sense. So when something seems completely random (like the ending to this cartoon), have faith that it meant something at the time the cartoon was released.

He Wishes He Was In Dixie

Author: mirosuionitsaki2 from United States
23 July 2007

What a wonderful cartoon. Great for historians and children. Well, except the end. But any who, yeah. Bugs Bunny is under arrest on a lot of charges. In the end, he turns himself in after Elmer cries because he couldn't catch him and he's a disgrace to the regiment. Bugs Bunny turns himself in to make him feel better. In the end, when he is about to get shot and has to make one last wish, he takes off his blindfold and sings, "I Wish I Was In Dixie!". Everyone starts singing. Odd ending.

Like I said before, I recommend this cartoon for historians and children. Or if you just like to watch old cartoons, or cartoons from your time, I recommend this too.

Also, I just want to name my favorite part. When Bugs Bunny kisses Elmer and digs himself a hole again.

For Conduct Unbecoming a Wabbit!

Author: theowinthrop from United States
1 April 2007

This is really a funny cartoon, but it suffers for the last few seconds which, in our age of political correctness, have been removed so as not to offend African-Americans.

Elmer is a Mountie, who is trying to capture Bugs. At the start he is viewing several trees with posters of Bugs, wanted dead or alive (but preferably dead). As he passes each tree, Elmer sees someone has been marking up the posters with comments and putting a mustache on Bugs' face (one of the posters, interestingly enough, puts a "Hitler" mustache on Bugs). Not every tree has these posters - one has an advertisement for the Mountie Police Gazette, with a voluptuous lady on the poster.

Eventually Elmer finds Bugs' rabbit hole, and handcuffs himself to Bugs, only to find 1) the wascally wabbit has substituted a lit bomb to the handcuffs, and 2) has purloined Elmer's hand-key key. Helpfully Bugs tries to find the right key (there are five), but reaches it as the bomb goes off.

Elmer chases Bugs all over the Canadian wilds, frequently he and Bugs crashing into the snow banks and leaving their images in the banks to show they were there. But Bugs is always faster - managing to end up chasing Elmer once, and also managing to get his two ears to go around a tree that he has to pass (Elmer crashes into the tree, and ends up looking like Santa Clause).

At one point Bugs insists on knowing what he is wanted for - Elmer reads a list of charges, including jay walking and being a pest, and (as mentioned in the "Summary Line" above, conduct unbecoming a rabbit. Although Elmer does not catch Bugs, he is so miserable he cries for his failure, and Bugs feels sorry enough for him to give himself up. Elmer is in charge of the firing squad, and asks if Bugs has any last wishes.

Here is the point where the cartoon is tampered with today. Bugs says, "I wish...I wish...I wish I was in the land of Cotton, old times there are not forgotten." At this point Elmer and the firing squad look amazed at this unexpected wasting of a wish. But as the cartoon originally ended, Elmer, Bugs, and the members of the firing squad reappear as minstrels singing "Dixie".

Curiously, when I saw the original ending, it did not strike me as being worth saving. It made absolutely no sense - but then so would the current ending of Bugs bursting into song in front of a surprised firing squad. If you think of the anarchistic humor of the Warner's cartoons either is acceptable, but not particularly clever.

As pointed too, Elmer was drawn as a fat person here - for the last time, complete with corset. In fact the fat headed, bald Fudd of the later cartoons is quite an improvement too.

there's even more to like about Canada than Michael Moore shows

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
17 October 2006

In "Fresh Hare", an obese Elmer Fudd is a Mountie and out to get Bugs Bunny. Needless to say, Bugs isn't going to get trapped so easily. This is just one of many cartoons showing why the Looney Tunes outdid the Disney stuff easily. The scene where Bugs "drops" Elmer out of the service is enough to make anyone die laughing, as is the scene where they run through the ice. There is, however, one scene likely to make us nervous - and possibly doubt the whole cartoon - in the 21st century: at the end, they do a minstrel show, complete with black-face. But other than that, the whole thing's a hoot. Truly classic.

Like Michael Moore reminds us: Canada is the greatest place on Earth.

The Wabbit Hunting Diet

Author: Chip_douglas from Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands
19 January 2004

You know the quality is going to be above average when a cartoon starts with an big orchestral intro and a still picture to complement the titles. Bugs Bunny, looking slightly less cute than he would in later years (and still having to be content with his name under the titles) evades and tricks Elmer the Mountie at every turn. Back in these days Elmer was so overweight he had to wear a girdle. But if you look closely you can actually see him sweating off those pounds during the wild chase scenes.

In the forties the Warner Studios were still competing with Disney to produce the best looking animation around. It is obvious a lot of thought and care went into the backgrounds and character animation. Yet they still could not compare to the competition. However when it came to gags the Merry Melodies were unbeatable. There are probably more jokes crammed into these 7 minutes than in any 7 Disney cartoons of the same era. Only the final scene involving a black and white minstrel show feels a bit awkward nowadays, for we like to forget that these totally incorrect programmes ever existed. In fact it was not until the late Sixties that this type of shows was banned, about the same time the Merry Melodies ended their run.

7 out of 10

"You couldn't catch me. Why, you couldn't even catch a cold!"

Author: ackstasis from Australia
14 June 2008

Bugs Bunny is the last surviving rabbit in the countryside – or, at least, I presume this to be true, because Elmer Fudd seems to have killed and eaten quite a few! This particularly-rotund version of Fudd was a short-lived design used in five cartoons in 1941 and 1942, and was based upon the dimensions of voice actor Arthur Q. Bryan, who played him. In 'Fresh Hare (1942),' Fudd braves the snow and ice of the Canadian wilderness (where his added layers might actually come in handy) to capture the wanted outlaw Bugs Bunny, who is charged with a long list of crimes, everything from jaywalking to "conduct unbecoming to a wabbit." Of course, Bugs has little respect for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (colloquially known as the "mounties") and, as might be expected, has no intentions of surrendering without a fight.

This cartoon, while nothing particular special amid a vast catalogue of similar Bugs-Fudd encounters, has enough interesting and funny moments to keep the viewer entertained for the full seven minutes. After the inept hunter tracks Bugs to his rabbit-hole, via a trail of graffiti-vandalised WANTED posters (and a rather risqué picture of a woman), he discovers that finding the fugitive was only the beginning of his troubles. When Bugs finds himself handcuffed early in the film, we're certain that this couldn't possibly be the end of the struggle, and, sure enough, the rabbit somehow contorts himself out of custody and replaces his wrist with a fuse-lit bomb. Later, Fudd is stripped off all his clothing – well, almost all his clothing – and left completely exposed to the elements, while Bugs makes a quick getaway; there are also a few amusing visual gags with the characters' outlines in the ice.

Having seen Tex Avery's 'The Heckling Hare (1941)' earlier today, I noticed that here director Friz Freleng recycles one of the gags from that film, as Bugs' ears miraculously separate to avoid an obstacle as he darts through the deep snow. Most often nowadays, 'Fresh Hare' is noted only for its somewhat controversial ending, which has subsequently been censored by do-gooders to gloss over America's darker racial history. Personally, I didn't really find anything particularly wrong with the ending, in which Bugs bursts into a chorus of "I Wish I Was in Dixie" and the cast briefly performs a few lines of "Camptown Races" in black-face. True, it's completely random and doesn't contribute much to the story, but my greater annoyance, in any case, is with the attempt to alter the film itself, which I regard as cultural vandalism in a sense. Keep an eye out for the unedited version.