IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 113: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

One of the best ever!

Author: lovepade from Copenhagen, Denmark
3 February 2003

This film works surprisingly well sixty years after its original release. The story unfolds, and as it does it genuinely sucks the viewer in. You actually care about what happens to these people.

The pictures are beautiful and the acting is superb. Bogart of cause shimmers with his unique mix of poppy eyes, heart broken righteousness, and very masculine stoutness. Yes - we have yet to see his like.

It's easy: 10/10

(ohh: By the way, all the actors are marvellous characters: From the fat, patriotic waiter, to the French police inspector – and needless to mention: Ingrid Berman!)

Splendid

Author: tributarystu from Timisoara, Romania
11 January 2003

I thought I had seen a very rare few of the great movies that have been made. I now trust, I was right.

SPOILERS

Casablanca, a place of transit. People come, people go, like a river that doesn't stop to flow. The circumstances make Casablanca a very important place: France already invaded by the nazi troops, America seems the only way to freedom. Humans reign that city, and humans always have two sides: a sentimental side and a raw picture of themselves.

Casablanca is a love story and it is a drama. It is not one of those love stories we get to see nowadays...it is something special, where actually love does not really prevail. It shows that the individual sometimes has to sacrifice himself in order for humanity to win. Some people are capable of such a sacrifice, others are not.

Rick and Victor are quite the same kind of people, or at least would've been if they had met sooner. Rick changed after Ilsa left him, and he lost his will to fight...probably because there wasn't anyone to support him, because Ilsa wasn't with him. So, when he took the decision at the end he knew why he did that, and he sacrificed himself. He adapted himself to the life in Casablanca, and was doing well there...until Ilsa came along with her husband...

Ilsa was for him Paris, not Casablanca. His time with Ilsa was in Paris. As she left him, he was destroyed, but found the power to keep going. Since then he didn't seem a very friendly character, but he was a good hearted one. His "donation" for the young couple was an act of greatness, and through that he avoided any "less pleasent things" for the young lady.

Victor is fighting for freedom, has suffered a lot, but knows to keep his nerve. He has a great will, and psychical strength, and his role is of a pretty great importance. There wasn't only the war all could see, there was also the war of the already conquered countries. This was a more difficult one, and for the ones who dared to take part in it, it usually meant death.

The "poor" corrupted captain Renault, is a nice character. He is funny, and he is the kind of guy who is on the side of those who have the power. Actually, that is quite cowardly, but he does his job pretty well. He's also got a sense of rightness, but until the end, his job is more important than that. He shows finally that he is a sentimentalist, and that he does know what is right. His decision at the end isn't quite glorious, as he at first warns Strasser, but then, as there weren't any risks involved, he decides to keep to Rick.

The actors are just great, and the whole atmosphere of the movie is unique. You will feel your heart beat, you might fall in love with the characters, and you will feel the tense situations. This movie is definitely one of the best I have ever seen, if not the actual best. In a world that hasn't changed much, where money still makes the laws, love is the thing that can make you survive, and win your battles. This movie is touching...this movie is the only real romance movie I have seen, and It showed to me that I was partly wrong asking myself why only older movies are in some movie standings.

Greatest Film on Earth

Author: (imeusen@hotmail.com) from Germany
10 November 2002

Wow! The first time I watched Casablanca in school. But I didn't get to see all of it. So I rented it and watched it at least 5 times in one night. It's so great and I just love Ingrid Bergman playing Ilsa Lund. Her appearance and her lines. My favorite line of her: "You know how much I loved you, how much I still love you" But in general I think this movie just rocks the cinema. I have seen it once on the big screen and it was so different from watching it on TV. I bought that film in two versions (english+german) and I'm planning on buying it in italian, too. I can only say that it's the best movie I've ever seen and that it's my favorite one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bergman's the best!

Casablanca, ahh Romance, Bravery, Loyalty, Decency!

Author: sophia2206 from Indianapolis, IN
28 October 2002

Some have commented that movies like "American Beauty" or "Fight Club" should be listed above this on the AFI list of movies. I loved both those films but there is no way you can compare a modern Babbitt (sad and pitiful as he is) or some post-modern fantasizing about how to get out of your credit-card bill with someone giving up Ingrid Bergman (!) and the coolest job in the world to go fight Nazis in the desert.

I think loving this film is a matter of wanting to see a universality on film that speaks to the better angels of our nature, not just the pretty decent ones, but qualities of honor that are hard to find in modern film.

Also Bogie Kicks *ss. And the Love Story is de-voon.

I remember when I made my best friend watch it (we were 15 and I'd already seen it a dozen times). As Louis and Rick walk away and the music comes up she smacked me and yelled "He lets her leave?? HOW could you let me watch this and he let's her LEAVE?!"

The movie is poetry. Plain and simple.

and remember: there are vultures, vultures everywhere.

A kiss is still a kiss... a sigh may be just a sigh, but MUSIC MAKES THIS FILM A FILM THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY

Author: Angela Rabatin (anya_angie) from Perryopolis, PA USA
25 October 2002

For a film that is so highly spoken of I never really was too eager to see it. I suppose it's because of what some would term as "hype" others would term as "overkill." But some would term it as "tribute." Anyway, I didn't feel like it was a must-see. I THOUGHT I knew the story. I didn't. I THOUGHT I knew the lines, I did, I THOUGHT I knew the music, and I did, but only when I see this movie over and over do I begin to appreciate Bergman's acting, Bogie's finesse, and Steiner's music. Ever since I saw "Carrotblanca," I remembered that I should really try to see this one. So at the first opportunity, I bought it, watched it that very night, and unlike Doctor Zhivago, this one actually kept me entertained and sympathized with the characters. It's an amazing story, I'm surprised people have actually thought this was a boring film... though for action-loving dudes on motorcycles in leather and gold chains might find it so.

NO ONE PLAYS IT LIKE SAM! (and Max)

Almost the Perfect Film

Author: Rick1948 from Ormond by the Sea, Fl
18 October 2002

Any film with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman would be worthwhile watching. However this film keeps one's attention from the beginning and doesn't let go until the end. The writing was excellent. The acting also the same. The story line is a classic. This is the nearest to perfect a film has ever become. Godfather is close also, but Casablanca is the best!!!

The best ever

Author: Aussiesmurf from Melbourne, Australia
10 October 2002

Not much can be said about one of the most glorious accidental triumphs in movie history. The right stars, the right supporting cast, the right director and particularly the right script came together magically for the best movie in Hollywood history.

I often say that this movie is like Stairway to Heaven - it has been ripped off so many times, that to watch it now for the first time can make it seem full of cliches - as long as you were aware that it was this creation that started all the cliches.

Briefly, the plot concerns the coming together of half-a-dozen main players in Casablanca during the middle of the second World War. Humphrey Bogart is the archetypical softie with the hard, cynical shell, Paul Heinreid is a wonderfully noble leader of men, Ingrid Bergman truly makes you believe that a man could obsess about her for years. Claude Rains is wonderfully devillish as the corrupt prefect of police, Sidney Greenstreet positively Machiavellian as a business rival and Peter Lorre incredible as a cheap hood.

Watch this movie, and for the love of all that's holy, make sure it is in the original black and white!

The best there ever will be.

Author: alc01 from USA
1 October 2002

Look up the word "classic" in the dictionary and Casablanca it there. It is as perfect as a movie gets. The writing, the pauses, the looks, the love, the humor - all in perfect time. The shadows, the music even the background actors and noise blend to make each scene seem real. Even the "bit players" are some of the best that Hollywood ever had.

OUTSTANDING

Author: Michael Austin (mjayeh) from Holt, Michigan
18 September 2002

This is by far my favorite movie of all time. It spins so many different tales that come full circle back to the main point of a love story. Starts and finishes strong, I like the struggle that Rick must choose between the woman that he loves and the Nazi's taking over the city of love.

It still holds up!

Author: loopydate from Central Michigan University
16 September 2002

After the American Film Institute issued its list of the 100 greatest films of all-time, I started making regular trips to my local Hollywood Video to rent groups of three or four of them. My summer ran out before I could round out the top twenty, but of the handful that I got around to seeing, "Casablanca" was my favorite.

I'm currently enrolled in a Gangster Films class, where we screen and discuss classic films in the gangster genre. Having seen films like the original "Scarface," "The Public Enemy," and others, it amazes me that, while these films are great, they feel extremely dated.

The dialogue is clearly circa 1930, and the sets are all clearly just that, sets.

But then, you see "Casablanca." While the film is now 60 years old, it still holds up to modern cinema in every way. The characters are believable and sympathetic. Rick's unrequited love is painful (emotionally, not because it's awful, because it's not) to watch, not because Bogart is a great actor (though he is. One of the best), but because it's written in such a way that all of us who have ever pined for "the one who got away" know exactly how he feels.

I'll spare you a summary, because by now, you know the story. You know the dialogue, you know the shots. "Casablanca" is one of the most important films ever. It is almost perfect.

It is my sincere hope that the handful of people who gave this film a 1 out of 10 had mistaken 1 as being the highest mark available, because I'd hate to thank that anyone could possibly dislike this film.