IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 113: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

The best movie... EVER!

Author: Wonkawillie from Anytown, USA
12 July 2003

Roger Ebert said this about "Citizen Kane," "If I were ever stranded on a desert island and could only watch one movie "Citizen Kane" would be the one." I feel the same way about "Casablanca." I think it has a much better story line than "Citizen Kane" and it didn't need inovative camera shots to make it a truely unique movie experience. And, it has some of the best dialoge ever written in a movie. Ex. Strasser: Why did you come to Casablanca? Rick: I came for the waters. Strasser: This is the desert! Rick: I was misinformed.

Score one for Rick!

They don't write them like that any more!

It'll never be equalled

Author: Casablanca3784 from 15th Row Orchestra
8 July 2003

Simply put: the best American film of all time and I ain't kidding. I've seen it no less than one dozen times and each viewing has a bit more than the last.Simply impossible to believe that during the making of it,the original writers, the Epstein Brothers, walked out in disgust and in came Howard Koch, the author of the famous 1938 Mercury Theater Orson Welles's "War of the Worlds" based on H.G.'s masterpiece. That's right-the Epsteins said the film was going nowhere-they took a hike and Bogey and Koch sat down and together completed the script. Even Ingrid Bergman, after shooting was done, said she never wanted to be associated with such garbage again. Oh heck, I could write a million words of praise about "Casablanca" but never could I impart the true greatness of the film. It's got to be seen to be believed. The whole darn thing is engrossing, enchanting, mesmerizing,tough,tender,stirring,nationalistic,anti-Nazi and that's only the beginning. "As Time Goes By" is not only one of America's greatest love songs but just about the one song most closely associated with any film. Dooley Wilson looks like he's playing it but the truth is that the man didn't know how to play the piano. But who cares,Miss Ilsa? Want to know how good is that picture? Ever hear of anyone buying and devouring three books about it? I did. (1)"Casablanca" by Richard Anobile,(2) "Casablanca" by Howard Koch and (3)the most definitive work ever written about the film,the 402 page tome,"Round Up the Usual Suspects" by Aljean Harmetz which I read twice. Enough said.

This one has it all!

Author: MattTK3 (MattTK3@aol.com)
7 July 2003

**Spoiler** This movie has it all; literally. The combination of several film genres in its outstanding story make this film one of the best. There are alot of visual metaphors and symbolism throughout as well. Consider the fact that Bogart's character Rick represents the social and military isolationism of the US prior to the war and how he changes to making sacrifices for the good of the cause. "The lives of 2 human beings don't add up to a hill of beans" so he gives her up for the greater good. That's Hollywood telling us that we need to sacrifice in our personal lives in order to fight for the greater good. There is so much to say about this film, especially the hidden meanings behind it. You'll be hard pressed to find a flaw with this film. Masterful direction, acting, and storytelling. *****/*****

The best - where are the rest?

Author: forthunter from The Hague, The Netherlands
12 April 2003

I must have seen this film twenty times; I guess I know the script by heart; every scene, every camera movement is anticipated with pleasure and never disappoints. What kind of magic was worked during this film can only be guessed at. Some unique synergy took place on that Hollywood lot that has never happened since. An ensemble cast that could never be reassembled; craft masters and artisans at the peak of their skill; a world situation of uncertainty and worry, infecting the set with its tension and clarities. Somehow it all gelled; Rick, the world weary warrior; Ilsa, the luminous and virtuous beauty; a cracking script, awesome cinematography, laser edge editing and direction, and That Song.

How do you define the greatest film ever made? The ability to watch it again and again without ever becoming sated? The continued discovery of new things to enjoy? The comfort of knowing that what you are about to see is just as good as it gets? The fact that the gulf between films like this and most of the dross turned out today just gets wider? The perfect mise en scene? I don't know. I do honestly believe that this film will still be watched in two hundred years time and it will still generate the same passion in its viewers as it does today.

Now I really must buy a DVD before my tape wears out.

perfect

Author: emisue02
10 April 2003

Casablanca is the closest thing to a perfect movie that has ever been made. It's the perfect length to tell its story but not drag, and it has suspense, humor, drama, romance, music, and everything else you would want in a movie. Screw the AFI-Casablanca is the single best movie ever to come out of Hollywood and I doubt it will ever be topped.

''Here's looking at you kid'' - One of the greatest in Cinema

Author: herr_skugga from Tomelilla, Sweden
8 April 2003

Casablanca is nothing short of a masterpiece. Breathtaking at times. A must for every serious film-addict, even if it's not in your genre of choice. You're telling me that you can't spend 100minutes of your life on this little classic? That's lame.

I'm not going to reveal the plot for you or tear the movies content down. I'm just going to leave you with this sentence:

A must for the serious film-goer & a classic that will never be forgotten.

Casablanca Party

Author: Mary (MsMisiak@aol.com) from Fort Walton Beach, FL
4 April 2003

We determined, independently, "Casablanca" as the greatest film of the 20th century, and held a themed party on Jan.31,1999 in its honor in Destin, FL at the "Beachwalk" cafe. All the wait staff dressed in costumes, entrees were themed, the movie was on wide screen, and Bogey and other cast look-alikes dressed up and circulated. I played Sam, the piano player.

For those classic movie fans who like this sort of party, please visit the "BeachWalk" in Destin!

Much obliged,

:) Mary

Now I finally know why this one is one of the best

Author: Dockelektro from Portugal
17 March 2003

Probably the most legendary movie of all time, I finally got to see it, it was a great hole in my movie-viewing history. And finally I got to understand why a classic movie like this has made its mark in history. The intricate political plot comes first, and sets the movie on a melting pot of the second world war, where everyone hopes and dies for an opportunity to reach the USA via Lisbon. This would provide sufficient material for hundreds of movies, but enter Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, magnificent cinematography, role model storytelling, a perfect supporting cast, some of the best dialogue ever commited to celluloid and Dooley Wilson singing THAT song, and history was made. More than 60 years of jaw-drops are sufficient to give the sceptics a good reason to make them understand that this is probably the greatest classic movie of all times, and one of the best ever made in the past, present and future.

Another classic that all must see.

Author: FilmCrazy from New York City, CA
15 February 2003

This movie works an all levels. The story, characters, dialogue, editing and scoring mesh together very well and, at the hands of a good director, they don't overpower each other, but rather work together to give us an enjoyable viewing experience.

Bogart at his very best...

Author: starlight_61 from Huntsville, AL
12 February 2003

When Hal Wallis and Michael Curtiz paired Humphrey Bogart with Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Sydney Greenstreet, and Peter Lorre...well, that combination in and of itself was sufficient to make the movie a "box office" smash. However, the year was 1942 and the subject matter and scenario in 'Casablanca' was quite the contemporary issue for that time. No one could know the events that would occur in the following years, as the world waged the brutal battles of World War II. Yet, out of the growing global chaos, Curtiz was able to direct a masterpiece that will continue to rank among the best films ever made. This is classic, quintessential "Bogey" at his very best. Starring as Rick Blaine, with his sharp, if not, brash style, Bogart gives such life to this character with incredible precision, that he's worthy to be remembered for the classic line "Here's looking at you kid..."

Matched with the stellar performances of the other cast members, this movie will always be an industry standard for it's brilliance and consuming style. If you're a fan of classic films, you must see this one!!