IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 97: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Classic for a Reason

Author: kevin_m_sullivan from New York, United States
11 May 2012

Casablanca is truly a fantastic demonstration of cinematic storytelling. Physically speaking, the film is beautifully constructed. The cinematography is consistently fluid and makes great use of both high-key and low-key lighting. The set design is seemingly flawless, as is the acting, particularly the performances delivered by leads Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Above all else, I think the writing made Casablanca the classic film that it is. There are countless quotable lines, and the film (and specific scenes) has been parodied into oblivion. The editing in Casablanca continues to contribute to the film's soundness. Various techniques employed severely impact the quality of the storytelling, particularly the film's famous flashback. A+ all around.

One of the Best...

Author: Vaughn Thompson from United States
11 May 2012

There has to be something wrong with this movie... ummm... I can't think of anything so I guess I'll actually have to write about the things I LIKE?

It has a phenomenal story that is even more greatly emphasized with the United States joining the war in Europe. Though it was a current even then, the war setting was the perfect back-drop. It provided tension and one of the greatest and most iconic endings in movie history.

It was edited and written very well. Small morsel just big enough to tease us at the right times provided us with necessary knowledge. It was light-hearted in just the right places.

And the acting! Bogart and Bergman were made for each other. Well, in the movies at least.

best movies ever made

Author: s-varian from United States
8 May 2012

Casablanca is an iconic movie that allows us a cultural freeze into the time period. Humphrey Bogart, and Ingrid Bergman are phenomenal actors and they give an explosive and life changing performance. There is an air tight plot with an extremely well written screen play. The pacing is awesome. The themes in Casablanca were life altering as well. The price of freedom is worth any sacrifice. There's a memorably music score, there are tons and tons of great quotes.

The entire plot is action packed and it is satisfying story line that keeps the audience interested and on the edge of their seats. The ending is one of the most beautiful and satisfying endings of any movie, it's extremely beautiful and calming. Overall Casablanca is one of the best movies ever made.

my thoughts

Author: wolfmagena from United States
2 May 2012

this movie is rightly a classic. let me just say that I love this movie. it is one my top ten of all time favorites and number one on classic movies. I remember the first time i watched this movie was with my grandmother I also feel that is was brilliant to make the character Rick symbolize America"s actions during the beginning of ww2 And seeing the time this movie was made is why there is no real winner because the nation hoped they would be on the winning side of the war but they had no way of knowing. and i just love how they included the nations feelings of the war into the movie. This movie has every thing love, mystery, suspense, guns, good music.

You probably already know half the script to this movie

Author: wandereramor from Canada
26 April 2012

"Here's looking at you, kid." "I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in this establishment." "Of all the gin joints in the world, you had to walk into mine." "If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life. " "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." "Play it again, Sam."

Casablanca has taken such an elevated place in pop culture, its images and quotes (like the ones above) seeped into so many TV shows and movies to follow it, that when you actually get around to watching it it can seem a little underwhelming. Bogart and Bergman are Bogart and Bergman of course, and can charm the pants off anyone living or dead, but there's a lot of melodrama and a distinctly saggy middle. By the halfway point you might even be ready to write this off as one of those films that's important but not necessarily a great watch for a modern audience.

And then comes in the third act, a powerful and blisteringly-paced series of climaxes, and all of your earlier skepticism was wiped away and you're rooting wholeheartedly for Rick and Ilsa and their doomed romance. Or at least I was. What sets Casablanca apart from so many of its contemporaries is its ambiguous morality -- not the universal cynicism of most noir movies but a mature perspective that can see good in evil as well as vice versa. Most importantly, it juxtaposes what we want as viewers and what's actually the right thing to do in a way few movies do.

In short, even if you've received most of the plot and scenes through cultural osmosis, Casablanca is still worth watching, if only for that heart-wrenching climax.

Timeless Classic (Bogart is a cinematic icon)

Author: billy kelly from United Kingdom
22 April 2012

A true masterpiece that will never get old. Without doubt, one of the best romance movies of all time, parallelled perhaps only by the likes of 'Gone with the wind' or 'An affair to remember'. This movie will take you on a ride through every emotion imaginable and allow you to relate to and empathise with the characters with ease. This movie was not made with the expectancy of being an amazing watch, however this Warner Bros' A-List became one of the all-time greats and will wow you with its famous lines and beautiful scenes. For those of you who refrain from watching older, monochrome movies and prefer to watch newer Romance films such as 'Twilight' or 'The Notebook', please give this movie a chance and you will not regret it. Prepare to witness a real classic.

Classic

Author: NineFelines from United States
10 March 2012

Seeing this movie for the first time, it is easy to understand why it is a much loved classic. The mise-en-scène is superb as is the acting and lighting and camera work. Even though, as with virtually all movies, the drama factor is a bit heightened by the compression of time (story vs. movie), it flows very well. The quality of the acting makes the characters are very believable and enduring. The way Bogart was lit during his close-ups to show the lines of his face, really conveyed his emotional state and Bergman always appeared to be on the verge of tears (no doubt thanks to a special lens or camera effect).

While I knew the movie had been released before the end of World War 2, it didn't occur to me that actually meant the movie was in a position to predict the outcome (or to at least postulate a much hoped for conclusion). A prediction that, thankfully, was correct.

Pretty great

Author: ASereneRedDream from United States
7 March 2012

There are advantages to taking a film class after all. Today I finally watched Casablanca, and it was a matter of sooner or later. Being the film buff that I am, I would probably have ended up seeing this no matter what. We went a little bit into the further historical context of the film, and all of the different historical backgrounds that would make us appreciate the film, and see it the way people back in the day saw it. That helps I guess, but it isn't necessary to know if a film is good or not. I liked it, a lot. It started off pretty unspectacular, but it does sort of give you a spin and it does let you accommodate to the characters after a while. I thought the standout was Ingrid Bergman, and I am surprised to see she wasn't even nominated. Humphrey Bogart is also pretty great, and his less-than-usual looks for a leading romance man made it more fascinating.

Simply wonderful

Author: Larry Funk from United States
6 March 2012

I absolutely loved every minute of this film. So many iconic moments in this film, so many famous quotes, it's hard to believe its all in the same film. This film tells a wonderful story of a place where nobody wants to be, and everyone is trying to escape from the grip of Nazi Germany. This film does a wonderful job of portraying a place that is habitable, but hellish, where everyone settles with whatever they can get, trying desperately to get enough to get out. It also tells a beautiful love story, and helps to back up the phrase "If you love something, set it free". Rick must let the woman he loves leave for America with another man, so that she may escape from the hellhole that is Casablanca, and be with the man to whom her heart now truly belongs. One scene in particular that I absolutely loved was the scene in the bar, where Victor starts everyone up singing the French national anthem in order to drown out the Germans singing. There is so much symbolism in that scene alone, it is simply amazing. I could watch this movie over and over again.

Casablanca

Author: hrjbabyy from United States
29 February 2012

This movie was easy to get lost into. Everything was going fast and I agree that I would have to watch it a second or third time to really see it all. I found the captain extremely funny, all of his puns amused me throughout the film. I always wondered where some lines in this movie came from and when I was little I always heard about this movie but I never watched it until now. The cinematography was really pretty, almost like everyone was glowing, and the way with the lights was really cool - the spot lights and all. I especially enjoyed the piano man, he kept the main character in check the whole movie and he seemed to be my favorite character of all.