IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 114: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Author: Raj Doctor from Amsterdam, Netherlands
28 July 2007

Here is looking at you kid…, these words are written by my current boss Bernhard Drumel in his skype. I never knew that they are from Casablanca, until I saw the movie.

This is a love story during the world war second based in Casablanca, Morocco, North West Africa – a port where refugee Europeans came to depart for USA. Old time lovers - Rick (Humphrey Bogart) and Lisa (Ingrid Bergman), meet after many years in Casablanca and remember their love in France. Lisa was and is wife of Victor (Paul Henreid) and the couple is planning to run away to America through Casablanca. Rick - now the owner of the most popular club in Casablanca is well connected among corrupt military and government machinery - sacrifices his love and helps the couple duo to go to America.

It is the not the story in itself, but the way it is told that makes it a very interesting viewing. The pace is fast and engrossing. The story slowly unfolds and never lets the viewers guess the next till the very end. There is a sense of mystery and suspense. The backbone of the movie is a love story that has gone wrong. It connects with every audience. The misery and cynicism of Rick is so real that every man may feel a close resemblance to the feeling Rick is having. Though many, there are well itched characters that define the intent and purpose of their words and actions. The characters – mostly representing different European countries – and give an universal appeal to western audiences, and so I understand its relevance in people's mind and popularity.

The character of Rick is brilliantly played by the chain smoking king Bogart. This was my first movie of Bogart and he impressed me the most. Like all olden days actors who – each one of them – had their unique style and so delight to watch; Bogart has his own. Ingrid looks and acts beautifully to say and hide her secrets with her eyes and body language. Paul Henreid was good, but not brilliant. Special mention of the local French Captain Renault, played by Claude Rains – who plays the most engrossing characters with black and white, shrewd and sober shades – a delight to watch him.

Each and every dialogue of the movie is perfect and catchy. The lines are worth repeating even today and written with so conviction that they are ever-green. The one that I personally liked the most was when the German commander asks Rick which nationality he belongs to; and Rick with his usual cynicism replies – I am a drunkard. There are so many such quotable lines almost unforgettable in the movie.

This was Director Martin Curtiz's 132 movie production as director. It took him almost 20 years of making movie to come out with this gem. Martin kept on making movies till the last year 1961; he died in 1962. Great music, fantastic choreography of people, and definite acting by most crew! The only thing I disliked about the movie was that most of it was shot indoors on the sets, and that in itself did not give the movie the epic proportions that normally one would expect from such classics.

There are many hate reviews about this movie, and I read a few of them. I found this movie to be very good – made in 1942, it was much ahead of its time in terms of scripting, dialogue, pace and screenplay. Now a days we see so many movies – but to think of the rave Casablanca would have created during world war second times, would have been enormous.

My salute to Martin Curtiz and Humphrey Bogart! Now I know and understand what does my boss mean when he writes and says – Here is looking at you kid…! (Stars 8 out of 10)

Outstanding...

Author: Tony Camel from United States
5 March 2007

Casablanca is the sort of film that suffers from its reputation. People walk into it expecting to see the greatest film of all time and are disappointed when it doesn't measure up to their own pet faves. But if it doesn't have the depth of some masterpieces, it is certainly among the most entertaining, with a brilliantly witty script, a superb cast and one of the most stirring scenes in all cinema, the so-called Battle Of The Anthems when Laszlo incites Rick's patrons in a recital of La Marseillaise. It also broke social ground, with Sam the pianist (Dooley Wilson) being one of the first black roles to be treated as (almost) an equal. Most of all, it's a film you can watch again and again. If you haven't yet, give it a try; it could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

One of the two greatest American films

Author: lafdragon from United States
10 February 2007

"Casablanca" is unquestionably one of the two greatest American films. Everything about it (except possibly the special effects) is either perfect or so close it doesn't even matter. I'm writing this having just gone to see it with my sweetie at a packed-house Valentine's Day showing in a restored classic movie palace. If you ever have the chance to see a beautiful print of this film on a really big screen in such a venue, with an audience totally in love with it, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT pass up the opportunity! When people used to refer to the "silver screen," it's this movie and a few others that they were talking about--it literally shimmers like finely wrought silver.

Oh yes, the other greatest American film? "Citizen Kane," and for many of the same reasons. Interesting that these two films were made almost at the same time, "CK" being released in 1941 and "Casablanca" in 1942.

Perfection

Author: AKHIL AGGARWAL from United States
21 July 2007

Casablanca (1942), pretty close to perfection. A movie that brings out the best script from both heart n brain, a tough combination. Does a perfect job in blending the political scenario of that time (World War 2) and the ever pervasive love matters. Just 102 minutes movie but each second is entertaining. The clever-stylish dialogues keep it alive throughout. The chemistry between Bogart and Bergman from their very 1st shot together, looks very natural. I wonder why they don't make such well developed movies today. Before watching the movie I did some other viewer comments saying it is all so boring but one thing they might be missing is that these were the movies from which directors used stuff again and again and that is why they look boring to us. But I guess we should at least respect them for this. A keeper, 10/10.

Not my favorite but definitely the most memorable film of all time...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
17 August 2003

Some of this review was edited due to this site's word limit.

Regarding "Casablanca," Roger Ebert wrote in his Great Movies essay, "If we can identify strongly with characters in some movies, then it is no mystery that 'Casablanca' is one of the most popular films of all time." Add "and one of the most memorable" to that statement. Almost any list you happen to come across of great movies will contain "Casablanca," as it has almost nestled itself firmly into our world's foundation. It is what one would call a memorable film. It may not be memorable for the audiences of today who find it boring, long, weary and tiresome, but it will always be remembered. That isn't something you can say for most movies. In one hundred years, do you think "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy will really - really - be remembered?

"Casablanca" is a love story, just as so many other films released to this day, but upon a viewing two nights ago, I asked myself what sets it apart from the rest. Just what has made it what it is today? Is it the direction by Michael Cortiz, the chemistry between the actors, or the actors themselves? Is it the sly side of dark comedy, or just the nostalgia of the film that drives so many viewers? Or perhaps it is the cliffhanger finale (those filming the movie didn't even know what would happen at the end of the film due to constantly changing scripts and the 1940s Production Code permitting a married woman from leaving her husband for another man). Even if it isn't, the ending is superb, depressing and uplifting, one of the strangest, saddest, and happiest endings I have ever seen, in which Bogart mutters the famous last lines, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Bogart plays Rick Blaine, a chain smoker and heavy drinker living in Casablanca, French Morocco, during WWII. During WWII, European immigrants fled from their homeland down to Africa, in hopes of sailing off the coast to Portugal, and then to America, land of freedom. Because of this, Casablanca is inhabited by petty thieves, vicious murderers, and ruthless citizens. Every day a plane leaves from the local airport, carrying the precious few with Visa Passes to freedom. Those applying for a Visa Pass on the black market might come in contact with the crook Ugarte (Peter Torre).

One night the thief Ugarte visits Rick's bar in Casablanca and asks him to hide two Visa Passes he has acquired by unrespectable means. Rick reluctantly agrees, only to watch Ugarte be taken away by French officials the same night, in his very bar. "Rick, you have to help me!" he screams as he is dragged away. Rick takes a puff on his cigarette and remains solid. A bystander says, "Gee, Rick, I hope when they come to take me away you help me out a little bit more than that!" Rick remains a statue and says, "I stick my neck out for nobody."

We can sense Rick was a good guy at one time, but as Marilyn Monroe once said, he probably "got the fuzzy end of the lollipop." He is tired of fighting for the good cause. So he maintains his bar and tries not to care about anyone. His piano player Sam (Dooley Wilson) knows the real Sam, and tries to evoke it, but Sam just sits in silence and drinks and smokes and lets himself stay drenched in misty smoke.

That all remains until Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) walks through his doors. It turns out that Ilsa left Sam and Rick waiting at a train station in the rain some time ago in Paris, France, during the German occupation. Rick never saw her since. That night she walks into his bar, he sits at a table in his joint, and in a mopy tone says, "Of all the gin joints in all the world, she walks into mine." This is a very effective line.

Do delve into the plot any further is pointless. Not only will it spoil interesting tidbits, but it is just plain pointless to explain anymore. But I will say that every frame is handled with care and the extreme close-ups in this film are amazingly effective. Sergio Leone was known for his extreme close-ups, but those in "Casablanca" seem to capture an innocence of the characters that I have rarely seen equaled in other films.

Bogart is at the top of his game in this film, only equaled in "The Maltese Falcon." Ingrid Bergman is superb, as well, but the supporting cast is equally impressive. Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Claude Rains, Peter Henreid and Dooley Wilson all steal the show - well, maybe not Henreid, but that's because he's not really supposed to. This is the perfect example of a well-rounded cast. Too often nowadays attention is paid to the lead actors and not the supporters - this has both great leads and great supporters.

People often ask me what my favorite film is. And to be frankly honest, it certainly isn't "Casablanca." To me, lists of favorites in ranking order are pointless and silly - who am I to declare my favorite film, when I have not even seen some of the greatest unknown films out there? If someone asks me to tell them my favorite film I have seen, I usually say I don't have one. I still think lists of favorite-ever films are silly. I have various favorites in various genres, but not an "all-time-favorite."

Despite this, "Casablanca" is one of those films that has permeated our culture. It will never go away. I'm not sure if it's one of my top ten favorites, but if there is a difference between a favorite film and a most memorable film, "Casablanca" sure does disguise it.

Good, but not that good

Author: Ivan Lalic from Serbia
15 March 2017

Few movies had a greater impact on popular and cinematic culture than the immortal love story of „Casablanca". Hence, the expectations from it were huge and, alas, only semi fulfilled. The story is just plain straightforward, revolving around the American expatriate (Bogarth) squirming his ways around Morrocco during the Second world war. When the old love steps in (Bergmann), the cliché won't stop until the very end that is just too expected and pathetic. However, Humphrey will set the standards for the male cool behavior and some of the most memorable lines in the history of cinema will be delivered during the course of this spy and love story. „Casablanca" is a good movie, but not an excellent one as the majority of ratings and reviews claim to.

Author: brandongooner-64487
13 January 2017

I thought this film was okay but not fantastic like what most other people think of the movie. Despite this, I can see why this was a huge film for Hollywood and regarded as a classic movie. In my opinion, I don't think there were enough moments that got me engaged within the movie so I couldn't give it a higher rating.

The film is set in Casablanca, Morocco and the main character Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) owns a nightclub. This nightclub is called 'Rick's Cafe Americain' and this represents America's dominance all over the world and it signifies wherever there is American ownership, there is power. This is a example of surveillance during 1942.

Later on in the film we get to know Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid) and we find out that he is in a relationship with Rick's ex Isla Lund (Ingrid Bergman), she is a French girl and to show his love for Isla, Laszlo sings La Marseillaise. I thought this was powerful as it reinforces the idea of patriotism during the time of war.

At the end of the film, we find out that Rick still loves his ex Isla despite her leaving him and Rick does the right thing for Isla by sending her back to France. We see that he puts people before himself because even though he loves this girl he does the right thing for her by sending her home.

a movie classic: pure and simple

Author: Carl S Lau from Los Angeles, California
15 August 2003

There are movie classics and there are movie classics. And then there is "Casablanca." Shot in 1942, it is over sixty years old and more than holds its own against anything that one can throw up against it today. For Humphrey Bogart, this was a career defining moment that launched the Bogie mystique. Ingrid Bergman's performance is nothing less than scintillating. The cast of supporting actors and actresses is superlative. This is one of the rare movies that makes the viewer suspend disbelief. Almost everything in the movie is first rate. The editing was superb with no extraneous scenes. There is no fat. It is a movie in which extremes exist and yet there is no contradiction. It is the rarest kind of movie that can be watched a hundred times and yet, one never tires of it. "Casablanca" is pure cinema magic that few, if any, movies will ever match. Words cannot reach it. "Casablanca" is an experience that one simply has to experience and preferably, at least once, on a big screen. On a scale of one to ten with ten being best, it is an easy one hundred.

Timeless

Author: Franky from Gloucester, MA
8 August 2003

Regardless of when the first time you saw Casablanca was, the movie will always remain timeless. Boggie plays the sarcastic and charismatic Rick Blaine and the beautiful Ingrid Bergman plays the lovely Ilsa, the only woman Rick ever loved who comes back into his life after abruptly leaving him. "Of all the gin joints in all the cities in all the world, she comes walking into mine."

The ultimate tale of love and sacrifice, Casablanca is a movie that despite how much times change, this film never loses its magic.

From a personal standpoint, I am not that big a fan of older movies (what some people dub "classics". I generally don't like any film made before 1960. I find the acting generally cheesy. But along with On The Waterfront, Casablanca is still one of the most amazing movies ever made. Highly recommended. Don't go to the video store and rent it, just go buy it.

A movie that can never be topped

Author: MothraStrikes from Pittsburgh, PA
29 July 2003

Casablanca has crisp dialogue, great characters, and an awesome setting. Countless films, from the recent "Quiet American" to the Usual Suspects owe fealty to Casablanca.

This movie should be ranked much higher on the tops list than 6. It is vastly superior to Lord of the Rings, Shawshank Redemption, and both Godfather Parts I and II.