IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 107: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

True classic

Author: Morgan_Leslie93 from United States
19 October 2012

There's such a wonderful since of composition and lighting throughout the whole movie. It was shot with low light however there were so many wonderful shadows and subtle highlights on the actors and walls that gave for a great feel to bring the audience into Rick's. The characters all have such great depth and it makes you wonder how these people all ended up in Casablanca and whether they'll be able to escape the town. It has so many different great themes such as politics, romance and comedy. The chemistry between Rick and Isla is fantastic and believable. The movie has a few twists in it and even though it was a post code movie there are some little things that you get the hint of that might not necessarily appropriate for the code. I have to say a real American classic that everyone should see at least once in their life time.

great movie

Author: r-ragbeer from United States
19 October 2012

Casablanca is an absolutely amazing movie, the acting was top notch, the plot kept the movie interesting the entire time. The style of witty comedy and its political hints were great. Humphrey Bogart played his role very well.The plot of the movie was amazing there were points throughout the film where you might think that you know how the movie is going to end but it goes in another direction which makes you want to keep watching to see what actually happens. The high point in this film came at the end of the movie at the airport, it was something that you wanted to happen and it did so it made it that much better to see the outcome of it all. This movie is a must see for anyone who loves an amazing movie.

11 out of 10 Stars

Author: ChristophCinema from United States
16 October 2012

What can you say about Casablanca? I'm serious. What can be said about it? It's one of the greatest films of all time and everybody already knows it. This movie is so perfect, that it actually brings tears to my eyes. The acting, the characters, the story, the quotes, the humor, the drama, the atmosphere; everything is just perfect. This is what classics are made of. Picking my favorite thing about this movie is almost impossible because everything goes together hand in hand. But if I had to pick 2 things that make this movie great, it would have to be the two main characters, and the world the movie transports you to. First of all, the two leads. Humphrey Bogart is the man. He's always the man. I've never seen a movie where he wasn't the man. Why is he considered the "Greatest Actor of All Time"? Because he's Humphrey Bogart, that's why. I think Humphrey Bogart perfected the concept of an "imperfect hero". From the very beginning, you see that people would die for him, but he wouldn't do the same. He claims to be neutral, but you're never sure which side he's really on. He's so calm and mysterious, but his decisions are based mostly on his unpredictable emotions. He has such a presence to him, but you're constantly wondering if he'll do the right thing in the end. Ingrid Bergman is also amazing playing opposite of Humphrey Bogart. Just like Bogart, she is very mysterious, and you want to know more about her. She also goes above and beyond the typical 1940s female performance. She gets so into the role, it may actually be the most emotional performance I've ever seen from this time period. These two are just perfect together. I love how most of the movie, we're left in the dark about their relationship. All we know is that these two knew each other at one point, and that they once had something. I love how most of the backstory can be seen in the faces of the two main actors. The movie doesn't even need that flashback scene, because you can see how important these two are to each other just by looking at their faces. The flashback scene is great, but I think it would've been cooler if the whole movie, we didn't know their history together. The last thing that I love about this movie is the world. This movie is classic Hollywood fantasy world, and it sure knows how to suck you right in. This isn't real life, it's the movie world; and that's what makes this movie so classic. Even though it has that 1940s acting, and many of the clichés of the time, it still remains timeless. It's all fun, from beginning to end. You may feel like you're watching a movie, but that's just because you are. This is what movies are all about. They're not about showing us what life is really like; they're about letting us escape to a world where life is more interesting. Like I said, this movie just defines "classic". The characters are unforgettable, the scenes are so memorized, and the quotes are so recognizable (it's no wonder this film may be the most referenced/spoofed/quoted film of all time). This film is so perfect, it gets better and better each time I see it. It's so classic; it kind of hurts. So bottom line….it's alright.

One of the best films ever.

Author: ylimevol from United States
15 October 2012

Love, witty banter and Nazis. What is not to love about this film? The characters are complex and are so comfortable in their roles. I love the mixture of people and back rounds. I love that there is always that tension in the air. As soon as people start to have a good time, they get yanked back to reality with someone getting shot or arrested. I love Rick as the anti-hero being the good guy but doesn't wear spandex and jump off buildings he's the guy that makes things happen. Ultimately giving up everything for the cause. Having such a heavy undertone leaves room to have a little comedy mixed in. The little one liners thrown in are so perfectly planned and in good taste. I do think that sometimes films are great but don't last through time yet this film is just as moving and relevant as it was then. I love this movie and every time I watch it I love it more.

As time goes by Casablanca is timeless

Author: calvinnme from United States
23 September 2012

Most films about WWII made during WWII are so rah-rah over the top that at midpoint you want to stand up and say "OK, I get it already, the Nazis are eeeeeevil." This one is different. There are bad guys - Conrad Veidt's Major Strasser who practically slithers on his belly and hisses like a snake he is so vile, guys that are so good that their teeth sparkle in the sunlight - Heinreid's Victor Lazlo, and a whole bunch of gray characters just trying to get by - the kind of guys who vote for who they think the winner is going to be in a Presidential election. Maybe these gray characters are truly out for themselves and see it as a game or a matter of survival - Claude Rains's Captain Renault, or maybe they were fighters for the good fight at one time and when karma dealt them a bad blow they became cynical - Bogart's Rick Blaine.

You've got a great supporting cast - Greenstreet, Lorre, Sakall, and Dooley Wilson as Sam, a guy with a rare level head who looks out for Rick and seems to see Rick's cynicism as an illness he has to be nursed through while tickling those ivories - a rare humanizing role for an African American in 1942.

Plus this thing defies all laws of synergy - it works on a grand scale as an entire work of art, but you can break out individual scenes and enjoy them divorced from the rest of the film, and there are great individual lines suitable for framing "I stick my neck out for no man" and " I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here" says Captain Renault as he closes down Rick's and stuffs gambling winnings into his pocket - this last line has almost become a metaphor for American politics and politicians.

Bottom line - Rick Blaine is Han Solo. Both characters were vital to the success of the films in which they starred. People always love a romance/adventure involving a talented cynical loner who ultimately joins or rejoins the good fight for the right reasons, a guy who is a bit too good to be true, and a woman who is torn between actually loving the first kind of man and feeling like she should really love the second kind of man. That is Casablanca and that is Star Wars, but Star Wars does not have Captain Renault and Casablanca does! Wow, I've always been afraid of reviewing Casablanca because I didn't know where to start, and it looks like I just did.

Let's watch it again, Sam

Author: athomed from United States
28 July 2012

I consider myself an old film buff. There are plenty of pictures from the Golden Era which I appreciate; which satisfy me; which I can stand back and really marvel at. Casablanca is too close to my heart for that. This film is too special. Films like Casablanca or It's a Wonderful Life, the emotion is so red hot that they're still alive today. They make you believe. You could say watching Casablanca is like wrapping yourself in a comfortable blanket, but blankets wear out. It's really like actually spending 102 minutes at Rick's café with the people you care about, whom you grow fonder of with each visit. That's Casablanca to me.

Escape to another time

Author: ThreeGuysOneMovie from United States
3 June 2012

Play it again Sam". "We'll always have Paris". "Here's lookin' at you kid". "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world she walks into mine".

These famous lines are just a few amongst the many memorable lines in the 1942 blockbuster Casablanca that was re-released Wednesday, March 21st to commemorate the monster classic's 70th anniversary. I was not about to wait for Casablanca's 100th Anniversary screening to see the hit movie on the big screen so I purchased a ticket to enter a silver screen time portal to view the film the way it was meant to be seen…….on the big screen. Unfortunately, the prices of the ticket, the popcorn and the soda did not go back in time but if there is a movie that is worth every cent of admission and snacks it is Casablanca.

For the very few of you who are not familiar with the plot of Casablanca here is a very brief synopsis of the classic. It is WWII and Casablanca is a haven for refugees who are escaping the stronghold of the Nazi military in eastern Europe. Escapees are willing to do whatever it takes to Get from Eastern Europe to Casablanca, Morocco to Lisbon, Portugal and finally, to absolute freedom in America. Rick's Americain Cafe is a hotbed of political corruption and refugee deal making in the tumultuous city of Casablanca. As interesting and complex the goings ons at Rick's may be it really just serves as a sub-plot to one of the most famous love affairs in movie history between the beautiful Ilsa Lund played by Ingrid Bergman and the timeless, cool, calm and collected Rick Blaine who owns Rick's Americain Cafe played by, of course, Humphrey Bogart.

I am not going to waste your time by going any further with the plot summary of this movie but I will say that with each time I see this phenomenon of a movie I am more and more amazed by the screen writing of Philip and Julius Epstein with Howard Koch. Incredible as the performances that are given by Peter Lorre(Ugarte), Claude Rains (Capt. Renault), Paul Henried (Victor Laszlo), Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman the ingenious screen writing of the Epsteins and Koch cannot be overlooked. To write a screenplay that embodies the beautiful complexities of love and the heinous complexities of WW2 politics is truly a feat of artistic genius displayed by the Epstein's and Koch. As the old saying goes, they don't make movies like this anymore.

Unfortunately time portals are not yet a reality but a movie theater is a great place to escape to another time, especially if you are seeing a classic like Casablanca. For those of you who have not seen Casablanca on the big screen please do not miss the next chance you have to do so. Here's to Casablanca being played again Sam.

Like what you see here? Then check out our full site at 3guys1move.com

a top selection for altruistic reasons

Author: Marc Israel from United States
3 June 2012

Let's not rehash the old accolades of Bogie & Bergman which still ring true. I watch this over and over because it represents a type of commitment and honor that I believe we all wish we were capable of. The dialog is full of the utmost courtesy, while the humor can bob and weave into the script that still manages to pull the romance through the end. The side characters are very strong, if not stereotypically played out, but ultimately memorable, none the less. Of all the quotes that echo, it is Ricks' heartbreak and bitterness wrapped up in his replying if he remembered Ilsa, "The Germans wore gray, you wore blue." War, romance, humor and dignity and all in seven words, that's class!

The Ultimate Romance

Author: (ilvatz) from United States
13 May 2012

This movie was by far one of the best romances that I have ever seen. It is generally not my favorite genre of movie but the raw emotion present throughout this masterpiece greatly moved me. The cinematography of this film is just absolutely beautiful. Every scene seems like it was shot less as a method of capturing a story, but more as if trying to paint a beautiful picture. The sets sometimes seem to frame characters at important moments in the plot and the heavy use of contrast to create very shadowy scenes sets the mood for a mysterious romance so perfectly that you can only call it a masterpiece. I found the acting to be masterful. The characters that the actors and actresses portrayed were done so flawlessly that i couldn't find a single character who i didn't think was portrayed beautifully. They captured the raw emotion of the characters and i almost believed that I was watching real events unfold before my eyes.

Classic for a Reason

Author: kevin_m_sullivan from New York, United States
11 May 2012

Casablanca is truly a fantastic demonstration of cinematic storytelling. Physically speaking, the film is beautifully constructed. The cinematography is consistently fluid and makes great use of both high-key and low-key lighting. The set design is seemingly flawless, as is the acting, particularly the performances delivered by leads Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Above all else, I think the writing made Casablanca the classic film that it is. There are countless quotable lines, and the film (and specific scenes) has been parodied into oblivion. The editing in Casablanca continues to contribute to the film's soundness. Various techniques employed severely impact the quality of the storytelling, particularly the film's famous flashback. A+ all around.