IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 110: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Perfection

Author: AKHIL AGGARWAL from United States
21 July 2007

Casablanca (1942), pretty close to perfection. A movie that brings out the best script from both heart n brain, a tough combination. Does a perfect job in blending the political scenario of that time (World War 2) and the ever pervasive love matters. Just 102 minutes movie but each second is entertaining. The clever-stylish dialogues keep it alive throughout. The chemistry between Bogart and Bergman from their very 1st shot together, looks very natural. I wonder why they don't make such well developed movies today. Before watching the movie I did some other viewer comments saying it is all so boring but one thing they might be missing is that these were the movies from which directors used stuff again and again and that is why they look boring to us. But I guess we should at least respect them for this. A keeper, 10/10.

Still the greatest movie of all time!!!

Author: TheInvisibleCar from United States
21 June 2007

Casablanca is still the greatest movie of all time! Its stars shine, there are memorable lines, quite a few which have been repeated elsewhere or even become the titles of movies themselves, there is superbly artistic and notable cinematography, heartfelt romance, inspiring and touching music, heroes, swelling feelings of sentiment and patriotism, and it is in no way too long, too weird or different. Just an all around great movie, and even for the few of those who can't agree that Casablanca is the all-around greatest movie of all time, they perhaps would at least agree that it has all the elements and plenty enough of what it takes to be putting up an honorable fight to claim that top spot, and most definitely should be on any critic's short list of greatest movies, if they expect to really be taken seriously. .

Time seems to date some movies badly, while it has worked greatly in favor of some movies, like Casablanca. It was made in the day when color was rare, yet, used black in white so well that it seems to be a great example of a movie that should have been filmed in black and white, even if doing such were to have cost more than color. The false looking backgrounds in its Paris automobile scenes in particular, although perhaps not so intended, has actually been used as a purposeful technique of dreamy recollection and such, in a few more modern day films. And again, even though perhaps not intended at the time, and even though the entire movie was made in studio, the fact that the Paris scenes are the ones that look so particularly fake is appropriate, since, at that very time, those scenes had to be fake, as Paris wasn't available, because it was under German occupation. There is no understating that this movie was a part of the arsenal of democracy itself, its story, themes and passion are set in the very center of what was then the raging battle for the world in what would become the single most defining event of the 20th Century, World War II. Every actor in the film, the director, the producer, and anybody and everybody working on the film or in any way involved with its making, were, in fact, at war with Nazi Germany.

There is no need for a learned critic or professor to explain this or anything about the movie, anything about its producers having used some new technique, some new technology, or any particularly notable new style of cinematography to just enjoy Casablanca. It's very touching in its story of human relationships and it is so noted for its black and white cinematography that some of its most ardent fans consider any colorizations of it sacrilege, even among those of us not generally opposed to the idea of colorization. And, it is the story of its times. Its depiction of challenged French patriotism brings tears the eyes of many a repeat viewer time and time again, when The Marseilles is sung. There are lines that people repeat, songs that even today people sing and whistle. In terms of just all around sheer entertainment, the movie is petty much as good as it gets. It is not only difficult to come up with a suggestion of what movies of the 20th century could be considered as good, it's impossible to find any movie that has anywhere near as many people thinking of it as the greatest movie of the 20th century. It's as if a clear majority think it the greatest movie of all time, and as for what other movie is even a contender to Casablanca's claim to the title, well, there is no clear single contender. I doubt fans of Casablanca could even form a majority as to what the second greatest movie of all time is. Even if all those who have another movie in mind could have a run-off to determine their party's candidate, it wouldn't matter, as Casablanca already has 65% of the general electorate locked-up. Although all-time is far from over, it's safe to say that Casablanca is now the for-all-time greatest movie of the 20th Century. Its as if Indiana Jones was involved in some battle, in the middle of some war, that we were actually passionately involved in at the time, with our entire economy geared towards the goal of winning that war, against actual Nazis soldiers, rather than the theatrical Nazi-ish soldiers that Indiana Jones was having problems with. Except Casablanca's actors are legendary movie icons. The dialogue is superior. The musical score is among the best of movies, as memorable as even the best of musicals, only Casablanca isn't a musical. Just as the main song of the movie is about a fight for love and glory, exactly what the entire free western and allied world was engaged in at that time, so the viewer feels where they stand in their heart of hearts. The viewer relates to the characters, and anybody familiar with history who believes in freedom and democracy isn't just cheering for our characters in the end, we truly feel as if we are on their side! Had the allied battle been lost, Casablanca may very well have quickly become a controlled, discarded and forgotten piece of illicit war propaganda. But as things turned out, it's Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, along with Dooley Wilson, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains and many others, starring in the greatest roles of their careers in what clearly still seems to be the greatest movie of all time. Casablanca's being part of the patriotic effort itself, is perhaps one of its greatest advantages in cementing its claim as the greatest movie of all time, and this is a concrete advantage that will only continue to strengthen and harden, "As Time Goes By."

This film is way too overrated.

Author: Professor_Zoom
13 February 2012

Old Hollywood doesn't get a free pass on this list. And perhaps the most overrated of the classic Hollywood films is Casablanca. AFI calls it the 3rd best film of all time. The IMDb 250 ranks it #8. Almost any list of the top ten films in history includes this Oscar-winning film. When people think of this movie, then tend to think of the famous lines: "Here's looking at you, kid"… "Play it again, Sam"… "I'm shocked, shocked"… "We'll always have Paris"… People also remember the look of the film: the glorious, rich black and white, with Humphrey Bogart smoking in the darkness. All of those ridiculous things makes people love it, but the movie doesn't quite live up its status as the best of the best. Does it really hold up after almost 70 years later as the highest achievement in filmmaking? I'd definitely have to say no. Ultimately, I think nostalgia makes people give this movie more acclaim and praise than it deserves. Romance films are always boring, always about some guy crazy about a girl and not much else, and there are indeed good films from the 30's and 40's that are better than this film, for instance like King Kong.

The acting, as was often the case in the 1940s, is a bit campy and shallow. Bogart's character is witty, sharp, and cynical, but he doesn't seem particularly real. There's a stage-play "acting" style to all the performances. Bogart's role as Rick is far from his best work. He delivers dozens of quips, but they don't seem like something a real person would actually say. The characters, aside from Rick and Ilsa, are mostly caricatures. Sam is a piano-playing black sidekick with no other human qualities, despite being one of Rick's oldest friends. The Germans in Raiders of the Lost Ark were more complex. The cynical Captain Renault is little more than a memorable bit of comic relief. And while I understand that some of this acting style was common at the time, but even for that era, the acting in Casablanca feels a bit thin. It's a mediocre story, it often has the feel of a larger-than-life Broadway play more than a work of cinema. If audiences watched it for the first time today, few would think the movie belongs in the top ten, even in the top twenty of all-time films. Just because a film is memorable, that doesn't mean it is great.

Painful to Get Through

Author: Joline Pierson (animism-36544) from United States
24 October 2015

I'm sad to say it, but I found this film to be extremely boring. In my opinion, it dragged on. It did it's job in making you dislike the oppressive Nazi soldiers, and making you want Rick and Ilsa together; but as for holding my attention, it didn't do so. Watching Rick develop as a character was nice to see, as he was very monotone in the beginning and his feelings came up more and more by the end. The best part was the very end, where Rick shoots the German soldier and Renault lets him get away with it. The scene was put together smoothly and really made you like the characters.Another good compilation of scenes were the flashbacks between Rick and Ilsa. Rick's personality was completely different from that of the present. When he was stood up, it made you feel bad and then completely understand his cool composure through he rest of the film. He's a smart guy, and under his hardened exterior lies a loving and caring person.

A Fine Fantasy for Men

Author: wz-39381
12 May 2015

I can see why men like this movie. How great to own your own bar, have a cool reputation for cynicism and dry wit, and most of all, have a desirable woman so in love with you she's ready to leave her war hero husband for you if you just snap your fingers. Of course, it's even better to be Rick, when he makes the great sacrifice of putting her on the plane with her husband. Ahhh, sit back, have a smoke.

But why on earth do women like this? Ilsa is a completely passive, spineless thing who stands around sipping drinks while the men make all her decisions for her. What a total lack of moral courage, to let someone else determine whether or not she leaves her husband? Even the mix-up in Paris seems rather lacking in initiative on her part -- couldn't she have made some excuse to slip out long enough to send a telegram to the train station? I didn't even enjoy identifying with Ingrid Bergman's fabled beauty, because, frankly, without the soft focus lens she's just a round faced, thin lipped woman with a jutting nose.

I love old movies, the ones made in the forties are my favorites. Paul Henried, Claude Raines and Bette Davis were wonderful together in "Now Voyager." Barbara Stanwyck made dozens of great movies during those years. Joan Crawford and Lana Turner played strong women. Gene Tierney and Hedy Lamar were breathtaking beauties. Of all of the hundreds of great movies made at that time, I'll never understand why this one is singled out as the best?

Time Hasn't Gone By This Classic!

Author: jbirtel (jbirtel@bluefrognet.net) from United States
18 August 2003

I saw this movie in college 20 years ago with over seventy 18-23 year old fellow students. And the audience reaction was like the movie just came out yesterday. Here's a movie that assumes that the average audience has intelligence. And the tons of laughs were all in the right places for the right reasons. Twenty years later, I can still hear the laughter and applause...and the cheers; especially for that now classic closing line.

If more black and white classics were given this kind of DVD treatment (the recent 2 disc release), then I'd own more black and white classics. Bogart's brilliant portrayal was ahead of its time and no one else but Bergman could of been Elsa. Same for Rains, Henreid, Sakall, Veidt and EVERYONE else. Perfect cast, perfect acting.

It's a shame most people will never see this with an audience because this is a crowd pleaser if ever there was one. So the next best thing is the quality and care that was put into the new DVD. Believe it or not, this makes a great "at home" date flick. And even have a few friends over...but not the 'chatty' ones. There's just too much to miss if so and so starts to "yackitty! yackitty! yackitty! during the many (& there are many) priceless and subtle moments. This movie deserves full attention. And the nice thing is...you pick up more the 2nd time seeing it (& 3rd, 4th...etc).

My favorite line (no way am I repeating it or any others) is Rick's "poor salesmanship" rejection. This one film has more great 'one liners' than some hundred movies put together. And it still seems as fresh today as when...well; when I saw it the 1st time.

It's not that "they don't make em like this anymore" applies to 'Casablanca' because most movies, for every year, in every era (since the 1920's); aren't very good. It's always the very few that rise above the heap, every year; especially when you take into account that over 100 movies are made every year. But 'Casablanca' represents a sample of damn fine storytelling for that particular era that time has proved to be...timeless.

A 'must see' for most movie lovers (but not the 'yackitty' ones).

10 out of 10!

(Can't wait for Bogart's "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"s 2 disc DVD release next month. Another sample of just how brilliant Bogart's acting is.)

a movie classic: pure and simple

Author: Carl S Lau from Los Angeles, California
15 August 2003

There are movie classics and there are movie classics. And then there is "Casablanca." Shot in 1942, it is over sixty years old and more than holds its own against anything that one can throw up against it today. For Humphrey Bogart, this was a career defining moment that launched the Bogie mystique. Ingrid Bergman's performance is nothing less than scintillating. The cast of supporting actors and actresses is superlative. This is one of the rare movies that makes the viewer suspend disbelief. Almost everything in the movie is first rate. The editing was superb with no extraneous scenes. There is no fat. It is a movie in which extremes exist and yet there is no contradiction. It is the rarest kind of movie that can be watched a hundred times and yet, one never tires of it. "Casablanca" is pure cinema magic that few, if any, movies will ever match. Words cannot reach it. "Casablanca" is an experience that one simply has to experience and preferably, at least once, on a big screen. On a scale of one to ten with ten being best, it is an easy one hundred.

Timeless

Author: Franky from Gloucester, MA
8 August 2003

Regardless of when the first time you saw Casablanca was, the movie will always remain timeless. Boggie plays the sarcastic and charismatic Rick Blaine and the beautiful Ingrid Bergman plays the lovely Ilsa, the only woman Rick ever loved who comes back into his life after abruptly leaving him. "Of all the gin joints in all the cities in all the world, she comes walking into mine."

The ultimate tale of love and sacrifice, Casablanca is a movie that despite how much times change, this film never loses its magic.

From a personal standpoint, I am not that big a fan of older movies (what some people dub "classics". I generally don't like any film made before 1960. I find the acting generally cheesy. But along with On The Waterfront, Casablanca is still one of the most amazing movies ever made. Highly recommended. Don't go to the video store and rent it, just go buy it.

A movie that can never be topped

Author: MothraStrikes from Pittsburgh, PA
29 July 2003

Casablanca has crisp dialogue, great characters, and an awesome setting. Countless films, from the recent "Quiet American" to the Usual Suspects owe fealty to Casablanca.

This movie should be ranked much higher on the tops list than 6. It is vastly superior to Lord of the Rings, Shawshank Redemption, and both Godfather Parts I and II.

Beautiful movie, the best love story put on screen...

Author: Andrew DiMonte (NoArrow) from My House, Canada
26 July 2003

..."Casablanca" stars Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, a bartender in the poor 1940s town of Casablanca. Men and woman are constantly coming through here, looking for a ticket to America. Police Captain Renault (Claude Rains) occasionally helps them out, but for a price - or the company of a beautiful woman. One night Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid) arrives at Rick's saloon, but what surprises Rick is the woman whom Laszlo bring along. The woman is Ilsa Bund (Ingrid Bergman), Laszlo's wife and Blaine's former flame. Ilsa's sudden appearance sends Blaine's new, well structured life into a swirl towards oblivion.

Every actor plays their part perfectly. Bogart delivers a cool and clever performance as Blaine, with memorable lines like "I stick my neck out for nobody" he creates one of the most memorable and likable movie characters of all time. Rains delivers a fun (and hilarious) performance too as the corrupt police captain. He flirts and makes illegal deals, all the while keeping his smug grin and witty charm.

I wouldn't call "Casablanca" the best movie ever made, but it certainly is the best (and most realistic) love story that's ever been put on screen. The music, people, and even the town of Casablanca is beautiful.

And so is "Casablanca", 8.5/10.