IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 116: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The finest example of American filmmaking

Author: Dan Brown (gotzvon) from Crystal Lake, IL
8 October 1999

Casablanca has an essence that I cannot quite put my finger on.

All of the characters are captivating and the story is fresh every time I see it. The plot is dated, but that does not seem to matter. This movie is worth seeing time and time again

The best

Author: Deviator-4 from Lee's Summit, Missouri
16 August 1998

Casablanca is the best movie ever made. It has the best love story ever put in a movie. The chemistry between Bogart and Bergman made them two of my favorite actors to date.

Classic

Author: DKosty123 from United States
27 August 2006

There is no term to describe this other than classic, but not the type of classic that a film like THE WIZARD OF OZ or GONE WITH THE WIND are. That is because when this film was being made, it was just another assembly line production from it's studio (Warner). When you see it today, the cast appears so great that you would think it was something special, but this supporting cast, great as it is, worked together often. What this has in common with the WIZARD is a great script.

The writers of CASABLANCA came up with a script that tops all other films in classic moments of quotes that have become a part of Americana. So many quotes from this film are used in other films & media that they have become cliché almost. Even miss-quotes like "Play It Again, Sam" from this film have become American folk-lore. "Round up the Usual Suspects" has become it's own film later. "You & Me, Kid"- the list goes on & on.Other than the Great Oz, these quotes just flow from this film to 100's of other works since this film was made.

What makes this film really special is the unfulfilled love between Bogart & Bergman's character that is left hanging at the end. In an era, where love always had to have a happy ending, this movie gloriously leaves us with people in love who are forced away from each other by circumstances beyond either of their control.

This theme is closer to real life than most Hollywood products of any era. Almost everybody can identify with it because haven't we all had a love in our life who we yearned for very much, but due to circumstances beyond us, we never had a chance to fulfill? That is too me what makes this film stand above all others.

This is a film that has action, but not much of it. This film has comedy, but only enough to make the film great. It has subtle patriotic themes that carry the film along. Most importantly, this film has the heart of every viewer who ever watches it because the film, by accident, touches themes that many films aspire to reach, but never achieve.

Ironically, this all happened by the greatest of chance & rarely has any movie ever come close to what this film is. If I were a filmmaker, actor, or had a career in this industry, this would be the film I wish I had worked on. Nothing gets better than this one.

There's no way to flaw this movie

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
27 August 2003

SPOILERS Possibly contained

Ok, Casablanca can simply be described in six words "The Greatest Movie Of All Time".

In this film we get to witness Bogart & Bergman in their best performances, in one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) love stories of all time. The way the romance develops, disintegrates, develops again & finishes on a sad note, is one of the best film plots of all time. The acting is superb, the plot is majestic, the film may be in black and white (an idea which is often sadly dated in modern society, but not in this case) but it survives & by the end of this film, possibly the most famous movie scene of all time is shown, climaxing in what can be argued as the greatest line of all time.

I guess the problem with writing reviews is that it's often easy to write vast ammounts about a film you hate, but when it comes to a film you love, you embrace it to such a degree that it's almost impossible to think of anything fresh and original to write.

so, with that last statement in mind, let me say this. If you have never seen Casablanca, you must be mad. If you have seen Casablanca and dislike it, you must be even madder. This film is genius, pure, classical genius.

Doesn't hold up to hype

Author: Reece Overstreet from Mississippi, United States
2 March 2017

I was thoroughly excited to see this movie because of all the positive reviews I've heard about it in the past. However, this movie in no way lives up to the hype. Everyone hails it as an undisputed masterpiece, but compared to the many movies that have come out after and even before it, this movie doesn't stand strong. The acting was stale, the characters were un-relatable, and the story was drug out too long. I found myself bored throughout at least 80% of it. Please don't assume that I don't like it just because it's an older film; most movies I have scene are older films, and a lot of them are far better than this one. Believe me, I wanted to love this film, but I just couldn't. Even if it was "great" for its time, that doesn't mean that it's great for this time. However, I will say that there were a few memorable lines, and some parts that were better than the rest, but other than that a cliché filled snoozer.

Over-hyped

Author: B Spray from United States
15 February 2017

For years and years (I'm 52), I've always heard how great this movie is. I've really never gotten into old movies a whole bunch, so I've never seen Bogart much at all. SO - it was time to finally watch it.

Yawn... For starters, Bogart just wasn't that good of an actor. Scream and cry all you want, but that's an unbiased fact. Secondly, the story line was about as average as you could get. Finally, I seriously had trouble staying awake in this one. Cannot for the life of me see what so many others see in it.

A sad disappointment. I'll give it a 4, as I honestly would have to say it's slightly below average...

Words are Sufficient

Author: Phillip Riback from United States
31 July 2013

"This is a beginning of a beautiful friendship" – that is how this unforgettable and everlasting movie, which talks about love, friendship, loyalty, intrigue, and survival ends. The play takes place in the city of Casablanca, and even though we are unable to see the city (because the action takes place mainly in Ricks' bar), the life of the city is present. On one side are refugees waiting to escape from the horrors of war, and on the other are those who still enjoy nights full of gambling and entertainment, or smuggling and enrichment. The love story is started in war Paris, and revived through the memories in the currently more peaceful Morocco. The fact that love is stronger and larger than any other living thing, and subordinate to world events, is show in the decisions Rick (H. Bogart) makes. Although the movie is black-and-white, it even more emphasizes time events. There is also a color version of the film, but it feels like something is missing. If you have a chance to watch it, you shouldn't miss this masterpiece. And if you have watched it... Play It Again Sam.

Incredible!

Author: miss_flowers from United States
15 October 2012

I watched Casablanca for a class, and, while I initially thought that I wouldn't care for it, I find myself being able to confidently say that it's actually one of my favorite movies, not just from the class but also in general. In terms of acting character and plot the movie is just superb, the best performance being, obviously, from Humphrey Bogart. Technically, the movie is one of the best that I've seen from that period of time. The camera is EXTREMELY mobile, especially in Rick's Café, moving between the tables and sweeping the expanse of the dining room. The sweeps of the streets were incredible, and the shots seemed to be getting longer, which was nice to see. The most notable thing, technically, was the sweep of the airport as Ilsa and Laszlo's plane takes off. Overall an amazing movie, something I would definitely recommend both for the storyline and for the technical elements.

American Rick Blaine finds himself the holder of the letters of transit out of Casablanca and standing before the love of his life once again.

Author: a-choppa from United States
11 October 2012

This movie was truly amazing. I never found myself bored, not even for a second. The underlying dry humor in a lot of the scenes really made the storyline comical to the viewer (if you understood the humor). I have a whole new appreciation for old time movies and Humphrey Bogart. The dialog was perfect, the characters sucked you in so much that at times I forgot it was just a movie. I also may have been the only person who was thoroughly happy with the unusual ending that in my eyes wasn't predictable. That's the most I can say without giving it away. It had an array of comical and lovable characters that I couldn't help finding myself wishing that they'd have a happy ending. Especially Sam, the piano player, although he barely said two words throughout the film his charisma and cheerfulness in an otherwise very depressed time made him so lovable as a character. Rick Blaine was a strong character that you couldn't help feeling some sympathy for, but his character displayed selfless and humble qualities that made the movie all the better.

A magical movie for a magical night in Phnom Penh

Author: venisejb from Australia
20 September 2007

What could have been another piece of dreary American propaganda for WWII, turned out- by a strange piece of magic- to be a cinematic masterpiece, and ultimately a legend. Was it the director, Michael Curtiz? Was it the black and White photography, was it Dooley Wilson's haunting voice. Was it the superb casting? Who knows? but to think of anyone else playing the roles would have been insanity. Another Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Conrad Veidt, Bogart or Bergman. Impossible.

About four years ago I was travelling around south-east Asia and in Phnom Penh (in Cambodia) and one night I went to the Foreign Correspondants club. It was my birthday and I was on my own so I stayed for a few drinks. I then found out that the club was showing THE ORIGINAL Casablanca. The benches the audience sat on were wooden. There were geckos running around the ceiling, no air conditioning, and it was heaven. The visa pronounced vezay, the gloved hand holding the 'aeroplane' Sydney Greenstreet swatting flies. Wonderful.