IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 113: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The best movie... EVER!

Author: Wonkawillie from Anytown, USA
12 July 2003

Roger Ebert said this about "Citizen Kane," "If I were ever stranded on a desert island and could only watch one movie "Citizen Kane" would be the one." I feel the same way about "Casablanca." I think it has a much better story line than "Citizen Kane" and it didn't need inovative camera shots to make it a truely unique movie experience. And, it has some of the best dialoge ever written in a movie. Ex. Strasser: Why did you come to Casablanca? Rick: I came for the waters. Strasser: This is the desert! Rick: I was misinformed.

Score one for Rick!

They don't write them like that any more!

It'll never be equalled

Author: Casablanca3784 from 15th Row Orchestra
8 July 2003

Simply put: the best American film of all time and I ain't kidding. I've seen it no less than one dozen times and each viewing has a bit more than the last.Simply impossible to believe that during the making of it,the original writers, the Epstein Brothers, walked out in disgust and in came Howard Koch, the author of the famous 1938 Mercury Theater Orson Welles's "War of the Worlds" based on H.G.'s masterpiece. That's right-the Epsteins said the film was going nowhere-they took a hike and Bogey and Koch sat down and together completed the script. Even Ingrid Bergman, after shooting was done, said she never wanted to be associated with such garbage again. Oh heck, I could write a million words of praise about "Casablanca" but never could I impart the true greatness of the film. It's got to be seen to be believed. The whole darn thing is engrossing, enchanting, mesmerizing,tough,tender,stirring,nationalistic,anti-Nazi and that's only the beginning. "As Time Goes By" is not only one of America's greatest love songs but just about the one song most closely associated with any film. Dooley Wilson looks like he's playing it but the truth is that the man didn't know how to play the piano. But who cares,Miss Ilsa? Want to know how good is that picture? Ever hear of anyone buying and devouring three books about it? I did. (1)"Casablanca" by Richard Anobile,(2) "Casablanca" by Howard Koch and (3)the most definitive work ever written about the film,the 402 page tome,"Round Up the Usual Suspects" by Aljean Harmetz which I read twice. Enough said.

This one has it all!

Author: MattTK3 (
7 July 2003

**Spoiler** This movie has it all; literally. The combination of several film genres in its outstanding story make this film one of the best. There are alot of visual metaphors and symbolism throughout as well. Consider the fact that Bogart's character Rick represents the social and military isolationism of the US prior to the war and how he changes to making sacrifices for the good of the cause. "The lives of 2 human beings don't add up to a hill of beans" so he gives her up for the greater good. That's Hollywood telling us that we need to sacrifice in our personal lives in order to fight for the greater good. There is so much to say about this film, especially the hidden meanings behind it. You'll be hard pressed to find a flaw with this film. Masterful direction, acting, and storytelling. *****/*****

Everything that Hollywood should be

Author: Don Muvo from Encinitas, California
4 July 2003

I can't see what to write here, since so many people will be moved by this film and write something about their experience in seeing it, often time after time, "As Time Goes By". This is a freeze frame of American war propaganda at its highest point, with an array of America's greatest filmmakers collaborating at the beginning of World War II, right after the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is a work that will always be seen and be honored as the epitome of world film-art that it is. Don't take anything for granted when you watch this movie. It all has to do with time, place, and character. It's so easy to get embroiled in one or two of the character's performances that you'll miss half of the film. It's an amazing film to watch multiple times.

Why Does It Work?

Author: SilkTork from England
27 June 2003

This is a movie so flawed it is in danger of falling apart. Bergman is cold, confused and remote - unconvincing as the woman who dominates the lives of the mysterious and highly respected American Rick Blaine, and the much sought after inspiration of the resistance Victor Laszlo. The Paris sequence is corny and embarrassing producing one of the worse lines in cinema history - "Was that cannon fire or is my heart pounding?" Yet this film remains my all time favourite. No matter how many times I see it I'm still moved. I get goosebumps when Laszlo encourages the staff and customers of Rick's to sing La Marseilles in response to the Germans singing. I smile at the jokes. I melt at the supreme sacrifice at the end. I nod knowingly at the references to America's neutral stance in the war. I admire the theme of commitment and sacrifice in a time of stress. And I love the colourful, quickly drawn characters given vivid life by smooth, confident actors such as Claude Rains, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. Why does it work so well? Is it Bogart in a white suit? Is it the impressionist tour de force opening where every character and every theme is introduced in a fluid journey through Rick's bar? Or is it the totally unpredictable and totally original story-line the conclusion of which could never be guessed, but which feels so right, so heroic, so romantic, so awesome. "Here's looking at you, kid!"

The best movie ever made

Author: William Bynum ( from Honolulu, Hawaii
22 July 2002

I discovered this movie about 15 years ago. I'm 33-years-old and had never really been one to go back and watch old black-and-white movies. The first movie I ever really remember going to see at the theater was Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was in love with the movies from then on. Oh, sure, I'd gone to the drive-in in rural Alabama and had seen various movies. But I had been too young and immature to really appreciate them for what they were. But when my uncle took me to see Raiders, I was hooked. For years, I considered Spielberg's masterpiece to be the best movie ever made. But then I happened to get hold of a VHS copy of Casablanca and checked it out. WOW! Moviemaking had been redefined for me. This movie has it all. Bogart is such an incredible presence. I think Harrison Ford is our modern-day answer to Bogart. The story is so straight-forward and so cool ... the backstory about the romance in Paris is great, perfectly handled. The one-liners are unforgettable, and the songs are enchanting. This is the whole package, alright. Perfect movie.

A great love triangle--Bogart, Bergman and ---Rains

Author: gkbazalo from Scottsdale, AZ
8 May 2002

After who knows how many viewings, the scenes with Claude Rains still are the most entertaining for me. Rains would have stolen the movie, if the rest of the cast had not been so good. He has many of the really good lines. We have two love triangles in this film. The classic Rick--Ilsa--Victor one and the more interesting Rick--Ilsa--Louis. The non-traditional ending is one of the most satisfying in films. As Louie says, "Who is Rick? Why, if I were a woman, and I were not around, I should be in love with Rick". Just a beautiful friendship.

Author: PetarPolis ( from Västerås, Sweden
6 January 2002

Me and my pals were talking for a long time about hiring Casablanca. So when I saw it on the library for free, I of course took the chance to lend it!

The big day arrived - we were going to see the most classic movie of all time. And what an experience it was to se the movie. I mean, the movie was superb right from the start to the end. A MASTERPIECE! Very great performance by the actors too! A must see...

Favorite quote(s): Ilsa Lund: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.

Ilsa Lund: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it.

Ilsa Lund: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum... Sing it, Sam.

Sam: You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings---

Rick Blaine: Sam, I thought I told you never to play---

My vote: 10/10

What about the Music in Casablanca?

Author: james shoop from Passaic, NJ
19 April 2000

Yes! Yes! I agree! Casablanca is an excellent movie. Action, adventure, romance, patriotism--"Play La Marseillaise. Play it", Nazi villains, idealism, and yes comedy--"I'm shocked, shocked to find gambling going on in this place. Your winnings sir." It is indeed one of the most quotable films ever. It seems everyone has a line worth repeating, however Bogey has the best ones. But what about the music? It was Max Steiner at his best!

PS Besides "As Time Goes By" and "La Marseillaise" name at least one other song either played or sung during the movie. No fair going to the video.

Every performance is top-notch.

Author: plato-11 from Vasaria
28 December 1999

What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said? It is one of the best films I've ever seen. Usually when I see a movie that is as highly regarded as this, I perversely try to not like it. This one, however, is impossible to dislike. Peter Lorre gives one of the most memorable performances of his career, even though his screen time is roughly four minutes. Claude Rains is at his unflappable best, and has many of the most memorable lines in this film. Humphrey Bogart plays the type of character he does best, the bitter drunk. Ingrid Bergman is absolutely breath-taking, and not in an ugly baby way. I would recommend this to anybody.