IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 109: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A nice surprise

Author: flaxius from Essex, UK
3 August 2003

Everyone, for as long as I can remember, has harped on about how good this film is. Now I'm quite a cynical person, so for a very long time I avoided it, not wanting to jump on the ever popular band wagon. Well, a while ago a happened across a cheap DVD version of it and thought (for some unknown reason) why not?

We (me and the wife) put it on one Saturday night and sat down with some wine.... ....we now have 3 Bogart films and are looking out for more.

If you don't like the sound of this film, give it a try. I was shocked at how good it was! Honestly, I couldn't have been more surprised if in The Great Escape instead of digging out they ended up building sandcastles and thinking "this is jolly good fun, lets stay here instead". It really is that good!!

Everything that Hollywood should be

Author: Don Muvo from Encinitas, California
4 July 2003

I can't see what to write here, since so many people will be moved by this film and write something about their experience in seeing it, often time after time, "As Time Goes By". This is a freeze frame of American war propaganda at its highest point, with an array of America's greatest filmmakers collaborating at the beginning of World War II, right after the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is a work that will always be seen and be honored as the epitome of world film-art that it is. Don't take anything for granted when you watch this movie. It all has to do with time, place, and character. It's so easy to get embroiled in one or two of the character's performances that you'll miss half of the film. It's an amazing film to watch multiple times.

The best movie ever made

Author: William Bynum ( from Honolulu, Hawaii
22 July 2002

I discovered this movie about 15 years ago. I'm 33-years-old and had never really been one to go back and watch old black-and-white movies. The first movie I ever really remember going to see at the theater was Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was in love with the movies from then on. Oh, sure, I'd gone to the drive-in in rural Alabama and had seen various movies. But I had been too young and immature to really appreciate them for what they were. But when my uncle took me to see Raiders, I was hooked. For years, I considered Spielberg's masterpiece to be the best movie ever made. But then I happened to get hold of a VHS copy of Casablanca and checked it out. WOW! Moviemaking had been redefined for me. This movie has it all. Bogart is such an incredible presence. I think Harrison Ford is our modern-day answer to Bogart. The story is so straight-forward and so cool ... the backstory about the romance in Paris is great, perfectly handled. The one-liners are unforgettable, and the songs are enchanting. This is the whole package, alright. Perfect movie.

Author: PetarPolis ( from Västerås, Sweden
6 January 2002

Me and my pals were talking for a long time about hiring Casablanca. So when I saw it on the library for free, I of course took the chance to lend it!

The big day arrived - we were going to see the most classic movie of all time. And what an experience it was to se the movie. I mean, the movie was superb right from the start to the end. A MASTERPIECE! Very great performance by the actors too! A must see...

Favorite quote(s): Ilsa Lund: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.

Ilsa Lund: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it.

Ilsa Lund: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum... Sing it, Sam.

Sam: You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings---

Rick Blaine: Sam, I thought I told you never to play---

My vote: 10/10

What about the Music in Casablanca?

Author: james shoop from Passaic, NJ
19 April 2000

Yes! Yes! I agree! Casablanca is an excellent movie. Action, adventure, romance, patriotism--"Play La Marseillaise. Play it", Nazi villains, idealism, and yes comedy--"I'm shocked, shocked to find gambling going on in this place. Your winnings sir." It is indeed one of the most quotable films ever. It seems everyone has a line worth repeating, however Bogey has the best ones. But what about the music? It was Max Steiner at his best!

PS Besides "As Time Goes By" and "La Marseillaise" name at least one other song either played or sung during the movie. No fair going to the video.

Every performance is top-notch.

Author: plato-11 from Vasaria
28 December 1999

What can I say about this movie that hasn't already been said? It is one of the best films I've ever seen. Usually when I see a movie that is as highly regarded as this, I perversely try to not like it. This one, however, is impossible to dislike. Peter Lorre gives one of the most memorable performances of his career, even though his screen time is roughly four minutes. Claude Rains is at his unflappable best, and has many of the most memorable lines in this film. Humphrey Bogart plays the type of character he does best, the bitter drunk. Ingrid Bergman is absolutely breath-taking, and not in an ugly baby way. I would recommend this to anybody.

The finest example of American filmmaking

Author: Dan Brown (gotzvon) from Crystal Lake, IL
8 October 1999

Casablanca has an essence that I cannot quite put my finger on.

All of the characters are captivating and the story is fresh every time I see it. The plot is dated, but that does not seem to matter. This movie is worth seeing time and time again

"We willl Always have Paris"

Author: Rachael Simmons from Utah, USA
22 September 1998

Does romance ever seem any better?? This movie is absolutely amazing!! Humphrey Bogart was the most charismatic man I know of. This movie is by far one of my favorite movies. I have never seen another romance that has compared with this one.

The best

Author: Deviator-4 from Lee's Summit, Missouri
16 August 1998

Casablanca is the best movie ever made. It has the best love story ever put in a movie. The chemistry between Bogart and Bergman made them two of my favorite actors to date.

I'm A Cynic So What I Say Doesn't Matter

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
5 May 2014

Once in a while you find yourself stumbling upon a film whose reputation precedes it . It doesn't matter what anyone on this site or out in the wider world says about it . CASABLANCA is a case in point . Anything I or anyone else writers here is entirely superfluous because any insight has already been said and anyone saying anything negative is instantly considered a contrition merely for the sake of it . CASABLANCA is cinematic legend . End of . It should be noted however that despite being broadcast on a relatively regular basis in the 1970s on British television it hasn't appeared very often in recent years . It might be wrong to point out that it was a mainstay in the top ten of the IMDb top 250 but nowadays it's sliding down the list as more people are exposed to it and perhaps think its legendary status isn't as deserved as it could have been . Perhaps I too belong to that camp

The reputation means so many people have actually forgotten what the film is about . Slightly patriotic flag waver where the forces of democracy get one over on the vile Nazis , slightly romantic pot boiler , and very much redemption plot it's a film that does have a feelgood factor . The story revolves around Rick , an embittered cynic who is only interested in profiting from the war and as events turn out he's about to discover that there's somethings far more important than money . Everything could have been done a little bit better especially when you consider Michael Curtiz is very much a contender for best film director of the 20th Century who made a lot of differing genre films and was always very good at what he did . His problem was that his films weren't marketed for a bitterly cynical audience in the 21st Century and seem a little bit too old fashioned when seen today . That said the up side is you enjoy classic Hollywood with its emphasis on stardom , dialogue and feel good factor there's a lot to admire in CASABLANCA but you have go in to it with the certain knowledge that it's not quite the masterwork its legendary reputation suggests it is

That is the main problem with Michael Curtiz in general and CASABLANCA in particular . A film like ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES doesn't contain one single scene or line of dialogue that can be classed as realistic in anyway and a film like that which has lines such as " Okay fellas let's say a prayer for a kid who couldn't run as fast as me " would see pop corn and drinks thrown at the screen in 2014 . You have to meet these classic Hollywood movies on there own terms and sometimes cynicism gets in the way