IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 113: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Greatest

Author: bob-1075 from Bob Morrell, Tonbridge, England
20 July 2004

What makes Casablanca the greatest?

The detail. After Ugate is arrested Rick moves forward and picks up a small glass that has fallen over.

When Sam is playing 'As Time Goes by' and Rick is drinking to forget (the famous scene) he involuntarily moans from within. He shows the man's heartbreak - the reactions of emotion running through a body broken by booze and sorrow.

This is acting and film making at it's very finest.

The inner decency of Rick is moving as is Ingrid Bergmann's tear filled eyes - but the throat catcher is the singing of the Marselliase and Yvonne's impassioned 'Vive La France!'

This was war time, and the film makes us remember what it was all for. Hollywood should look at the script - how simply it is constructed - and learn - there is a public worldwide that wants scripts of this quality about real people.

Tough To Beat This Movie

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 February 2006

I am not getting into the "The greatest picture of all-time" debate. It's too subjective but if I forced to cast a vote, I would give this the most serious consideration. I mean, what aspect of this film isn't top-notch?

The dialog is superb, one of the best ever put on film. The acting is great, cinematography first-rate and the story offers an interesting mix of drama, action, romance, music...you name it. This film has everything but color, which might prohibit of a lot of younger folks from ever checking this classic out. That would be a shame because film- making doesn't get much better than "Casablanca."

All of this doesn't mean it's my favorite film of all-time. It isn't even in my top ten but I always find it very, very enjoyable and the latest 2-disc DVD transfer makes it even better to view.

Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, of course, are the stars but I always found Claude Raines' character the best to watch. His witty dialog as the police chief always makes me smile. He has many clever lines and isn't a guy you can figure out. He and Bogart's character are similar, essentially coming across as people who only care about themselves but deep inside are good-hearted people.

The ending is much discussed and very famous and helps make the movie so revered. There has been so much written about this film that there I won't add more except to make one negative statement but that's about a line in the story and not a reflection on the quality of the film. I wasn't impressed that Bergman, despite being married, was willing to run off with Bogart, claiming she "doesn't know" what's right or wrong! Are you serious? Well, judging by the marriage records of Hollywood over the years, maybe they don't know adultery just might be wrong. Anyway, other than that, this is a great movie with many, many classic scenes. Bergman never looked prettier, albeit the aid of soft lens shots on her closeups, and Bogey was never more, well, Bogey, than in here. Add Paul Henreid, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and other fine actors and wow, what a cast!

An added bonus is hearing "As Time Goes By" throughout the film, a haunting song. Actually, there are several songs played, mainly by pianist Dooley Wilson, and they're all fun to hear. As I said, one could go on and on about this movie. 'Nuff said.

Painful to Get Through

Author: Joline Pierson (animism-36544) from United States
24 October 2015

I'm sad to say it, but I found this film to be extremely boring. In my opinion, it dragged on. It did it's job in making you dislike the oppressive Nazi soldiers, and making you want Rick and Ilsa together; but as for holding my attention, it didn't do so. Watching Rick develop as a character was nice to see, as he was very monotone in the beginning and his feelings came up more and more by the end. The best part was the very end, where Rick shoots the German soldier and Renault lets him get away with it. The scene was put together smoothly and really made you like the characters.Another good compilation of scenes were the flashbacks between Rick and Ilsa. Rick's personality was completely different from that of the present. When he was stood up, it made you feel bad and then completely understand his cool composure through he rest of the film. He's a smart guy, and under his hardened exterior lies a loving and caring person.

The best hollywood movie of all-time

Author: David_Hart from Ashland, WI
8 November 2003

When people ask me what is the best movie of all-time is I don't flinch, I just say "Casablanca". It has everything a great movie should have: romance, sacrifice, wonderful lines, a memorable song, incredible acting (even in the smallest roles) and it is one of the few non-film noir movies filmed in the B&W era that I wouldn't want to see refilmed in color (that is in definite contrast to "I Know Where I'm Going!" which begs to be refilmed to show the beauty of its vistas). But the key that makes everything works is the ending. I don't think the ending that exists in Casablanca could be filmed today and though most have seen this movie (or any of its parodies) I don't want to give anything away. But I encourage you to compare the ending of this movie with the endings of other romantic movies such as "An Affair to Remember", "Sleepless in Seattle" and even the most recent animated "Sinbad" movie. Contrast their endings with Casablanca's ending and you see how Casablanca resonates. Many movies have tried to emulate the ending of Casablanca but it never quite rings true because hollywood movies aren't allowed to have this ending yet the only ones who try are either independent or anti-hollywood.

A nice surprise

Author: flaxius from Essex, UK
3 August 2003

Everyone, for as long as I can remember, has harped on about how good this film is. Now I'm quite a cynical person, so for a very long time I avoided it, not wanting to jump on the ever popular band wagon. Well, a while ago a happened across a cheap DVD version of it and thought (for some unknown reason) why not?

We (me and the wife) put it on one Saturday night and sat down with some wine.... ....we now have 3 Bogart films and are looking out for more.

If you don't like the sound of this film, give it a try. I was shocked at how good it was! Honestly, I couldn't have been more surprised if in The Great Escape instead of digging out they ended up building sandcastles and thinking "this is jolly good fun, lets stay here instead". It really is that good!!

Everything that Hollywood should be

Author: Don Muvo from Encinitas, California
4 July 2003

I can't see what to write here, since so many people will be moved by this film and write something about their experience in seeing it, often time after time, "As Time Goes By". This is a freeze frame of American war propaganda at its highest point, with an array of America's greatest filmmakers collaborating at the beginning of World War II, right after the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is a work that will always be seen and be honored as the epitome of world film-art that it is. Don't take anything for granted when you watch this movie. It all has to do with time, place, and character. It's so easy to get embroiled in one or two of the character's performances that you'll miss half of the film. It's an amazing film to watch multiple times.

Why Does It Work?

Author: SilkTork from England
27 June 2003

This is a movie so flawed it is in danger of falling apart. Bergman is cold, confused and remote - unconvincing as the woman who dominates the lives of the mysterious and highly respected American Rick Blaine, and the much sought after inspiration of the resistance Victor Laszlo. The Paris sequence is corny and embarrassing producing one of the worse lines in cinema history - "Was that cannon fire or is my heart pounding?" Yet this film remains my all time favourite. No matter how many times I see it I'm still moved. I get goosebumps when Laszlo encourages the staff and customers of Rick's to sing La Marseilles in response to the Germans singing. I smile at the jokes. I melt at the supreme sacrifice at the end. I nod knowingly at the references to America's neutral stance in the war. I admire the theme of commitment and sacrifice in a time of stress. And I love the colourful, quickly drawn characters given vivid life by smooth, confident actors such as Claude Rains, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. Why does it work so well? Is it Bogart in a white suit? Is it the impressionist tour de force opening where every character and every theme is introduced in a fluid journey through Rick's bar? Or is it the totally unpredictable and totally original story-line the conclusion of which could never be guessed, but which feels so right, so heroic, so romantic, so awesome. "Here's looking at you, kid!"

The best movie ever made

Author: William Bynum (wolftever@hotmail.com) from Honolulu, Hawaii
22 July 2002

I discovered this movie about 15 years ago. I'm 33-years-old and had never really been one to go back and watch old black-and-white movies. The first movie I ever really remember going to see at the theater was Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was in love with the movies from then on. Oh, sure, I'd gone to the drive-in in rural Alabama and had seen various movies. But I had been too young and immature to really appreciate them for what they were. But when my uncle took me to see Raiders, I was hooked. For years, I considered Spielberg's masterpiece to be the best movie ever made. But then I happened to get hold of a VHS copy of Casablanca and checked it out. WOW! Moviemaking had been redefined for me. This movie has it all. Bogart is such an incredible presence. I think Harrison Ford is our modern-day answer to Bogart. The story is so straight-forward and so cool ... the backstory about the romance in Paris is great, perfectly handled. The one-liners are unforgettable, and the songs are enchanting. This is the whole package, alright. Perfect movie.

A great love triangle--Bogart, Bergman and ---Rains

Author: gkbazalo from Scottsdale, AZ
8 May 2002

After who knows how many viewings, the scenes with Claude Rains still are the most entertaining for me. Rains would have stolen the movie, if the rest of the cast had not been so good. He has many of the really good lines. We have two love triangles in this film. The classic Rick--Ilsa--Victor one and the more interesting Rick--Ilsa--Louis. The non-traditional ending is one of the most satisfying in films. As Louie says, "Who is Rick? Why, if I were a woman, and I were not around, I should be in love with Rick". Just a beautiful friendship.

One word: WONDERFUL

Author: PetarPolis (petter_engel@hotmail.com) from Västerås, Sweden
6 January 2002

Me and my pals were talking for a long time about hiring Casablanca. So when I saw it on the library for free, I of course took the chance to lend it!

The big day arrived - we were going to see the most classic movie of all time. And what an experience it was to se the movie. I mean, the movie was superb right from the start to the end. A MASTERPIECE! Very great performance by the actors too! A must see...

Favorite quote(s): Ilsa Lund: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.

Ilsa Lund: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it.

Ilsa Lund: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum... Sing it, Sam.

Sam: You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings---

Rick Blaine: Sam, I thought I told you never to play---