IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 99: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Perfection

Author: AKHIL AGGARWAL from United States
21 July 2007

Casablanca (1942), pretty close to perfection. A movie that brings out the best script from both heart n brain, a tough combination. Does a perfect job in blending the political scenario of that time (World War 2) and the ever pervasive love matters. Just 102 minutes movie but each second is entertaining. The clever-stylish dialogues keep it alive throughout. The chemistry between Bogart and Bergman from their very 1st shot together, looks very natural. I wonder why they don't make such well developed movies today. Before watching the movie I did some other viewer comments saying it is all so boring but one thing they might be missing is that these were the movies from which directors used stuff again and again and that is why they look boring to us. But I guess we should at least respect them for this. A keeper, 10/10.

Still the greatest movie of all time!!!

Author: TheInvisibleCar from United States
21 June 2007

Casablanca is still the greatest movie of all time! Its stars shine, there are memorable lines, quite a few which have been repeated elsewhere or even become the titles of movies themselves, there is superbly artistic and notable cinematography, heartfelt romance, inspiring and touching music, heroes, swelling feelings of sentiment and patriotism, and it is in no way too long, too weird or different. Just an all around great movie, and even for the few of those who can't agree that Casablanca is the all-around greatest movie of all time, they perhaps would at least agree that it has all the elements and plenty enough of what it takes to be putting up an honorable fight to claim that top spot, and most definitely should be on any critic's short list of greatest movies, if they expect to really be taken seriously. .

Time seems to date some movies badly, while it has worked greatly in favor of some movies, like Casablanca. It was made in the day when color was rare, yet, used black in white so well that it seems to be a great example of a movie that should have been filmed in black and white, even if doing such were to have cost more than color. The false looking backgrounds in its Paris automobile scenes in particular, although perhaps not so intended, has actually been used as a purposeful technique of dreamy recollection and such, in a few more modern day films. And again, even though perhaps not intended at the time, and even though the entire movie was made in studio, the fact that the Paris scenes are the ones that look so particularly fake is appropriate, since, at that very time, those scenes had to be fake, as Paris wasn't available, because it was under German occupation. There is no understating that this movie was a part of the arsenal of democracy itself, its story, themes and passion are set in the very center of what was then the raging battle for the world in what would become the single most defining event of the 20th Century, World War II. Every actor in the film, the director, the producer, and anybody and everybody working on the film or in any way involved with its making, were, in fact, at war with Nazi Germany.

There is no need for a learned critic or professor to explain this or anything about the movie, anything about its producers having used some new technique, some new technology, or any particularly notable new style of cinematography to just enjoy Casablanca. It's very touching in its story of human relationships and it is so noted for its black and white cinematography that some of its most ardent fans consider any colorizations of it sacrilege, even among those of us not generally opposed to the idea of colorization. And, it is the story of its times. Its depiction of challenged French patriotism brings tears the eyes of many a repeat viewer time and time again, when The Marseilles is sung. There are lines that people repeat, songs that even today people sing and whistle. In terms of just all around sheer entertainment, the movie is petty much as good as it gets. It is not only difficult to come up with a suggestion of what movies of the 20th century could be considered as good, it's impossible to find any movie that has anywhere near as many people thinking of it as the greatest movie of the 20th century. It's as if a clear majority think it the greatest movie of all time, and as for what other movie is even a contender to Casablanca's claim to the title, well, there is no clear single contender. I doubt fans of Casablanca could even form a majority as to what the second greatest movie of all time is. Even if all those who have another movie in mind could have a run-off to determine their party's candidate, it wouldn't matter, as Casablanca already has 65% of the general electorate locked-up. Although all-time is far from over, it's safe to say that Casablanca is now the for-all-time greatest movie of the 20th Century. Its as if Indiana Jones was involved in some battle, in the middle of some war, that we were actually passionately involved in at the time, with our entire economy geared towards the goal of winning that war, against actual Nazis soldiers, rather than the theatrical Nazi-ish soldiers that Indiana Jones was having problems with. Except Casablanca's actors are legendary movie icons. The dialogue is superior. The musical score is among the best of movies, as memorable as even the best of musicals, only Casablanca isn't a musical. Just as the main song of the movie is about a fight for love and glory, exactly what the entire free western and allied world was engaged in at that time, so the viewer feels where they stand in their heart of hearts. The viewer relates to the characters, and anybody familiar with history who believes in freedom and democracy isn't just cheering for our characters in the end, we truly feel as if we are on their side! Had the allied battle been lost, Casablanca may very well have quickly become a controlled, discarded and forgotten piece of illicit war propaganda. But as things turned out, it's Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, along with Dooley Wilson, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains and many others, starring in the greatest roles of their careers in what clearly still seems to be the greatest movie of all time. Casablanca's being part of the patriotic effort itself, is perhaps one of its greatest advantages in cementing its claim as the greatest movie of all time, and this is a concrete advantage that will only continue to strengthen and harden, "As Time Goes By."

Here's looking at cinema-perfection, kid…

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
16 February 2004

Out of all the films that are considered classic milestones in cinema…how many fully deserve that status?? Not that many, let me tell you…but Casablanca absolutely does! Casablanca has become history itself, a legendary production that'll live on forever. And it should! This film is essential viewing for everyone who ever showed interest in cinema. Every sequence in Casablanca is brilliant, every character is intriguing and every setting is breath taking. Especially when you're watching it for the first time…you'll be surprised how much you actually know about it already. Multiple ideas, lines and sequences were so influential and important to cinema, that they have been used numberless times afterwards. You might even say that cinema would have looked completely different if it wasn't for Casablanca. It's a brilliant love-story with irresistible film-noir and comedy aspects. The entire script - line by line - is pure nostalgic and some of the dialogues originally shown here grew out to become pure historical art. This intelligent movie also depends a lot on its superb cast, of course. Bogart portrays a terrific character here…a performance that yet has to find its equal. His brute and heartless portrayal of Rick is fascinating, especially because you soon find out that he is in fact just a hurt romanticist, heart-broken by a girl who's about to show up again. This girl (the stunning Ingrid Bergman) is practically the most marvelous lady who ever appeared on the big screen. Thanks to her natural charm and beauty, Bergman makes the most out of Ilsa. Film-noir stars Claude Rains and Peter Lorre supply the film with terrific supporting characters and a right amount of humor and parody. It's amazing how this film combines so many different genres successfully. The cruelty and drama of the war and the rise of the 'Third Empire' is mixed with comedy and romance in a unique way. It cannot be denied…Casablanca is pure perfection and everyone should appreciate it. This film isn't to be missed by anyone, whether you're young, middle-aged or retired…this film will move you.

Everything That Makes a True Classic is Here

Author: Scrius from United States
3 December 2012

To have lasting appeal in the past, present, and future, that defines a classic. As for my humble opinion, I believe there are two things which enable a filmmaker to create a classic that people hold dear: identifiable elements that are not so far-fetched from our own world and a profound message that continues to inspire and strengthen us with age. Bearing this in mind, it's understandable why the acclaimed Casablanca is a beloved work of cinema and counted among the great classic films. A romantic, patriotic, and idealistic movie that continues to stand the test of time and enchant present generations.

Derived from an unpublished play that surprisingly went nowhere, Casablanca is as beautifully photographed as it is narrated. The central focus is a timeless relationship between two characters played by Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, without whom there's no doubt the movie wouldn't be as memorable or appealing. A loving relationship between Rick Blaine (Bogart) and Ilsa Lund (Bergman) in Paris tragically ends because of the outbreak of the War and leaves Rick a heartbroken and apathetic man. It drives him into hiding away from the world's problems in his café in far off Casablanca. But the fires of a lost passion are rekindled upon Ilsa's unanticipated reentry into his life, their fates forever entwined. Ilsa explains to Rick that something greater than the both of them had begun to unfold in her relationship with Victor Laszlo, the hero of the Resistance. She appeals to the sentimental heart and the patriotic spirit that rests within Rick's cynical exterior. His former self revived, Rick grants his lover and her husband passage to America in one of cinema's most memorable finales, as they say farewell outside of a plane, all for the sake of the cause they fight for. The rest is cinematic history!

I find it hard to believe that no one expected anything grand to come from Casablanca during the course of its development. The film is handled with great care, having a strong script and outstanding performances. Humphrey Bogart brilliantly portrays a hero, ranging from a broken man with little to lose to a redeemed figure who is changed for the better in the end. As Ilsa, Ingrid Bergman conveys a very warm and tender nature. And of course, the chemistry between Bogart and Bergman is top-notch and deeply moving.

Countless are all the classic moments and dialogue that even those who have never seen the movie can recognize. One of my favorite scenes takes place during the second meeting between Rick and Ilsa. Upon entering the café, Ilsa seems bathed by an almost heavenly light, symbolic of Rick's salvation. Another sequence that lingers within me is when the crowd singing La Marseillaise drowns the Nazi anthem out. Both scenes illustrate the crux themes of the movie, of how much hope a loving relationship can provide and how justice will prevail over evil if we all stand united.

Casablanca is not a movie that's to be marveled for technological achievements, but something infinitely more meaningful. For the leading characters, their relationship meant hope, which was exactly what was needed throughout the bleak time that was World War II. Casablanca is a movie that encourages viewers to follow their hearts and to take a stand for the many. No matter how insignificant you may seem, making a difference is never impossible. Those who have thought that Casablanca would never go far, let alone be hailed as a timeless classic, could not have been more wrong. I expect I'll be asking Sam to play it again soon!

Beginning of The Golden Age of Hollywood

Author: yilmazomar from United States
19 October 2012

The sets, costumes and designs were absolutely gorgeous. Each shot in each scene was carefully composed and mathematically balanced, there was a symmetry to shapes and buildings and the way in which they were captured. The lighting was incredibly clean and succinct, objects were so smooth and defined I couldn't believe my eyes. I also think the camera movements like quick zooms or when the camera moved up to a character, or shots like of the entire club were revolutionary and you can definitely see the influence of the camera work in later films. I feel like this is the film or one of the films in which our cinematic history transitions into the modern period with acting and camera-work the kind that were used to, the film strangely didn't feel old to me it looked and flowed like it could have been made yesterday. The plot itself isn't bad, it's suspenseful and exciting and interesting, Bogart and Bergman are talented actors but Bogart stood out to me the most. You can see his influence on later actors portraying dark disturbed men in historical films or action films or a combination of both.

Incredible!

Author: miss_flowers from United States
15 October 2012

I watched Casablanca for a class, and, while I initially thought that I wouldn't care for it, I find myself being able to confidently say that it's actually one of my favorite movies, not just from the class but also in general. In terms of acting character and plot the movie is just superb, the best performance being, obviously, from Humphrey Bogart. Technically, the movie is one of the best that I've seen from that period of time. The camera is EXTREMELY mobile, especially in Rick's Café, moving between the tables and sweeping the expanse of the dining room. The sweeps of the streets were incredible, and the shots seemed to be getting longer, which was nice to see. The most notable thing, technically, was the sweep of the airport as Ilsa and Laszlo's plane takes off. Overall an amazing movie, something I would definitely recommend both for the storyline and for the technical elements.

American Rick Blaine finds himself the holder of the letters of transit out of Casablanca and standing before the love of his life once again.

Author: a-choppa from United States
11 October 2012

This movie was truly amazing. I never found myself bored, not even for a second. The underlying dry humor in a lot of the scenes really made the storyline comical to the viewer (if you understood the humor). I have a whole new appreciation for old time movies and Humphrey Bogart. The dialog was perfect, the characters sucked you in so much that at times I forgot it was just a movie. I also may have been the only person who was thoroughly happy with the unusual ending that in my eyes wasn't predictable. That's the most I can say without giving it away. It had an array of comical and lovable characters that I couldn't help finding myself wishing that they'd have a happy ending. Especially Sam, the piano player, although he barely said two words throughout the film his charisma and cheerfulness in an otherwise very depressed time made him so lovable as a character. Rick Blaine was a strong character that you couldn't help feeling some sympathy for, but his character displayed selfless and humble qualities that made the movie all the better.

Don't just watch it, Be a part of the Epic!

Author: hsm2310 from India
20 September 2012

I have always watched and enjoyed movies produced all over the world but I feel its high time I put my thoughts on paper for the sake of records at least . Also, these will have the potential to create some nostalgic value later.

Coincidentally, I watched Casablanca for the first time (emotionally) few days back. The movie which is largely known as one of the greatest love stories of all time is not one, its much more than a mere love story.

It is a work of a man who at the time of making this piece seemed to have acquired such levels of skills in his art form that it is next to impossible to be able to find a flaw in this work even for the finest of the observers.

How do I even start here? I should very well start with the image which has not left me ever since I have finished watching the movie. There is no doubt that Ingrid Bergman is one of the most naturally beautiful actresses Hollywood has seen in the last century, but in my opinion she is also one of the very few actors who could speak through their eyes exactly what was there in the heart of the character she was playing. This is a skill/gift which is found in a rare breed of actors. The scene where she looks at Rick (Humphrey Bogart) after all those years of separation is a perfect example of the role eyes ought to play to emote ones feelings without utterance of a single alphabet. Its hard to believe how she did not receive an Oscar nomination for this movie as she ended up receiving seven of them in a long glittering career. The prospect of watching all of those is a temptation that can not be defined.

I haven't seen all of Bergman's fine performances but in the few that I have seen, one can easily conclude that she has the ability to give multiple layers to her character which is the case in Casablanca as well. The flair with which she has been able to shift between various moods of innocence, mystery and sheer passion is remarkable. Of course, credit must also go to Curtiz who orchestrated this mood dance.

The character of Rick is like an iceberg which has been put in fire to melt and vanish and just before it starts to lose its identity it takes inspiration from itself and extinguishes the fire with the water it had lost. There could not have been a better choice for this role than Humphrey Bogart, every square inch of whose countenance reflects the state of mind he is in. Moreover, he is a true style icon in this movie and fits the part to the hilt which pops up the following question: was the role of Rick written for him or he was the best fit for the role!

As is seems, the image of protagonists is at the top of my mind their role in the greatness of the movie is certainly not limited to being the faces of the movie. Having said that, below the surface its the work of a master who has engineered multiple components into a giant which overpowers most others in its proximity. This fine piece of work makes its entry straight into the list of Cinema Extraordinaire because of its universal appeal, unique treatment, essentially real yet whimsical script, gripping screenplay and stupendous display of ever changing human behavior.

The range of emotions and situations this film has on offer at every stage of the movie makes it a sumptuous and delicious meal for audiences of varying taste. The movie reaches its climax in 95 minutes and it feels like that perfectly timed dessert which is an extremely rare delight.

The manner in which any two characters have been linked in this movie is the most unique to say the least. There are many two way relationships which have been portrayed with considerable depth on screen in such a small time that you start wondering by the time movie reaches its final moments that how was it even possible to experience so much in such a short time.

Every character leaves an indelible mark even though all it did in the movie was hit a few guitar strings or pick pocket at a restaurant. Every scene in the movie is a study in itself.

This is a must watch for anyone who has ever thought of himself as a movie fan. Casablanca without doubt makes its way in my all time top 5 list!

www.imnotafilmcritic.blogspot.in

Excellent! One of the best!

Author: Mary Ann
14 March 2012

Romance. Drama. Humphrey Bogart. 3 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Put them together and what do you get? Warner Brothers' "Casablanca". Set in Casablanca during WWII, this film tells the story of Rick Blaine (Bogart), a bar owner bitter after an abruptly-ended romance with the lovely Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman). Rick's doing okay, that is until Ilsa walks back into his bar and his life, bringing her husband (Paul Henreid) with her. Add into the cast great talents like Claude Rains, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet and how can you lose?

Arguably the best movie of all time, "Casablanca" is well-worth viewing. If you haven't seen it, get it and watch it. If you have seen it, get it and watch it again. Watch it, Sam. Watch "Casablanca".

One of the greatest American movies ... ever.

Author: boone052 from Canada
16 December 2006

A true classic! Anyone who is a fan of movies must see this film. Simply one of the best movies of all time. Bogart at his absolute best. Great casting (reuniting Bogart, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet, who played together so well in ' Tha Maltese Falcon', was brilliant). Absolutely one of my favorites. One of Bogart's most sympathetic characters, in one of the most quoted (and misquoted) movies of all-time. Simply fantastic movie-making from a great era in American cinema. This movie, and Bogart's character of 'Rick' most notably, are reminiscent of other great genres of American cinema of the time, like film noir and the hard-boiled detective story (of which Bogart was a mainstay at the time). Anyone who considers his or herself a fan of love stories, drama, or American cinema (or nostalgia) must see this movie. It is the quintessential 40's American movie.