IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 20 of 116: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

Everything That Makes a True Classic is Here

Author: Scrius from United States
3 December 2012

To have lasting appeal in the past, present, and future, that defines a classic. As for my humble opinion, I believe there are two things which enable a filmmaker to create a classic that people hold dear: identifiable elements that are not so far-fetched from our own world and a profound message that continues to inspire and strengthen us with age. Bearing this in mind, it's understandable why the acclaimed Casablanca is a beloved work of cinema and counted among the great classic films. A romantic, patriotic, and idealistic movie that continues to stand the test of time and enchant present generations.

Derived from an unpublished play that surprisingly went nowhere, Casablanca is as beautifully photographed as it is narrated. The central focus is a timeless relationship between two characters played by Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, without whom there's no doubt the movie wouldn't be as memorable or appealing. A loving relationship between Rick Blaine (Bogart) and Ilsa Lund (Bergman) in Paris tragically ends because of the outbreak of the War and leaves Rick a heartbroken and apathetic man. It drives him into hiding away from the world's problems in his café in far off Casablanca. But the fires of a lost passion are rekindled upon Ilsa's unanticipated reentry into his life, their fates forever entwined. Ilsa explains to Rick that something greater than the both of them had begun to unfold in her relationship with Victor Laszlo, the hero of the Resistance. She appeals to the sentimental heart and the patriotic spirit that rests within Rick's cynical exterior. His former self revived, Rick grants his lover and her husband passage to America in one of cinema's most memorable finales, as they say farewell outside of a plane, all for the sake of the cause they fight for. The rest is cinematic history!

I find it hard to believe that no one expected anything grand to come from Casablanca during the course of its development. The film is handled with great care, having a strong script and outstanding performances. Humphrey Bogart brilliantly portrays a hero, ranging from a broken man with little to lose to a redeemed figure who is changed for the better in the end. As Ilsa, Ingrid Bergman conveys a very warm and tender nature. And of course, the chemistry between Bogart and Bergman is top-notch and deeply moving.

Countless are all the classic moments and dialogue that even those who have never seen the movie can recognize. One of my favorite scenes takes place during the second meeting between Rick and Ilsa. Upon entering the café, Ilsa seems bathed by an almost heavenly light, symbolic of Rick's salvation. Another sequence that lingers within me is when the crowd singing La Marseillaise drowns the Nazi anthem out. Both scenes illustrate the crux themes of the movie, of how much hope a loving relationship can provide and how justice will prevail over evil if we all stand united.

Casablanca is not a movie that's to be marveled for technological achievements, but something infinitely more meaningful. For the leading characters, their relationship meant hope, which was exactly what was needed throughout the bleak time that was World War II. Casablanca is a movie that encourages viewers to follow their hearts and to take a stand for the many. No matter how insignificant you may seem, making a difference is never impossible. Those who have thought that Casablanca would never go far, let alone be hailed as a timeless classic, could not have been more wrong. I expect I'll be asking Sam to play it again soon!

Beginning of The Golden Age of Hollywood

Author: yilmazomar from United States
19 October 2012

The sets, costumes and designs were absolutely gorgeous. Each shot in each scene was carefully composed and mathematically balanced, there was a symmetry to shapes and buildings and the way in which they were captured. The lighting was incredibly clean and succinct, objects were so smooth and defined I couldn't believe my eyes. I also think the camera movements like quick zooms or when the camera moved up to a character, or shots like of the entire club were revolutionary and you can definitely see the influence of the camera work in later films. I feel like this is the film or one of the films in which our cinematic history transitions into the modern period with acting and camera-work the kind that were used to, the film strangely didn't feel old to me it looked and flowed like it could have been made yesterday. The plot itself isn't bad, it's suspenseful and exciting and interesting, Bogart and Bergman are talented actors but Bogart stood out to me the most. You can see his influence on later actors portraying dark disturbed men in historical films or action films or a combination of both.

A good movie

Author: ctimmons-492-149018 from United States
2 October 2012

If you help someone that is in need not only will that person benefit from it, but you will too. Rick fell madly in love with a woman named Ilsa. Ilsa broke Ricks' heart which made Rick change. When Rick arrived at Casablanca, he bought a bar and in almost every scene, he was drinking. The way I saw it was he was trying to drink his sorrows away. Rick mainly cared about himself and he said that he does not stick his neck out for anyone and he would not help anyone out if he would get in trouble for doing so. Rick would also not get close to anyone probably for fear of getting hurt again. Rick did not socialize with others unless it was business. When people in the bar would ask to have a drink with him, they were told no because Rick did not drink with anyone. However, that changed when Ilsa arrived and she asked to have a drink with him, he sat down and had a drink with Ilsa and her husband. When Ilsa came to his bar, Rick started breaking all of his rules. Rick stuck his neck out even when there was a great danger of him getting trouble and he was getting close to Ilsa again. The writing of this story shows that one person can change the way someone thinks, feels, and acts. This is a good example of a love story. Two men were madly in love with a women and one man had to let the women go because he thought it would be the right thing to do. At the end of the movie, the man let her go because he wanted her to be happy, even if it was not with him. If I were to write a love story, I would use this movie as an example because it shows that you can love someone and risk your life for them and they are with someone else. Rick was given a very valuable object at the beginning of the movie and that was some letters. The letters were very valuable and Ilsa wanted them. Ilsa wanted the papers for several reasons. First, they meant freedom from the Nazis and from Casablanca because the letters meant they could get enough money to leave to make it to America. Second, they meant mobility because they were worth enough money for Ilsa and her husband to get on the plane to leave Casablanca. Lastly, the meant a new life in America because they were able to get on the plane to leave. In a way, Rick was like the Nazis. The Nazis were very powerful people and Rick was a powerful man. The French police told Rick that Islas' husband, Lazlo, was not allowed to leave Casablanca and whoever helped him escape would be in a lot of trouble. Rick had power because he had the papers that Ilsa and her husband needed to leave Casablanca. The Nazis sent Lazlo to a concentration camp where he was not able to leave and Rick had the power to make Lazlo not leave Casablanca.

In the love stories I have seen, there is one person that sacrifices their happiness for the happiness of the person they love. Rick was still in love with Ilsa even though Ilsa was married to Lazlo. Rick could have made Isla and Lazlos' lives miserable by not helping them but, he wanted Ilsa to be happy so Rick helped them. Rick ended up losing his love again and risking everything he had and possibly his life. However, what Rick did for them made them happy.

It gets better as time goes by

Author: James Hitchcock from Tunbridge Wells, England
26 September 2012

To mark my 1100th review for IMDb I turn to another of my favourite films. And not just one of mine. Its regular appearance on lists of the greatest films of all time suggest that "Casablanca" is also one of the world's favourite films. It has given the English language more well-known quotations than virtually any other film- "Here's looking at you, kid", "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship", "Round up the usual suspects", "We'll always have Paris", "Play it again, Sam" (yes, I know that one's a misquote) and "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine" (also often misquoted, generally as "Of all the bars…..").

Yet at the time it was made, it was just one of many wartime propaganda films made by Hollywood. It was based upon an obscure play which had never been performed professionally. (It still hasn't in America, although it was produced briefly in London's West End in 1991). It starred an actor best known at that date for gangster pictures, and an actress whose early Hollywood films, apart from "Intermezzo", had not been wildly successful. Few would have predicted, therefore, that "Casablanca" would not only win the "Best Picture" Oscar for 1943 but would also go on to enjoy such lasting popularity.

I don't intend to set out the plot, which is already well-known, in detail, but rather to discuss what makes it such a favourite of mine. One feature is what might be called its moral complexity, something it shares with the film noir style of which Humphrey Bogart was such a noted exponent. I would not, however, classify "Casablanca" as noir, largely because it does not, except perhaps in the airport scene at the end, use the sort of expressionistic photography which characterised the genre.

I do not mean that the film is morally ambiguous politically. Its politics are quite clear; the Nazis are evil and the Allied cause is just. (For this reason, I always wish Michael Curtiz had been allowed to use the "Horst Wessel Lied" in the song-duel with "La Marseillaise". The producers, however, refused, on the bizarre grounds that the Nazi anthem was protected by copyright, so Curtiz had to substitute "Die Wacht am Rhein", a 19th–century patriotic song with no Nazi connotations).

The film's ambiguity arises at a personal rather than political level. The only character who is unambiguously heroic is the noble and idealistic Victor. Rick Blaine starts off as a disillusioned cynic, cynical both about personal relationships and about politics, and unwilling to "stick his neck out" for anyone. He has a murky past, operates a gambling operation of dubious legitimacy and, for unexplained reasons, is unable to return to America. Ilsa is somewhat sanitised compared to Lois, the equivalent character in the original play, and explanations are provided for some of her more questionable actions, but the fact remains that she is in love with a man other than her husband, and would be prepared to desert her husband for that man. Louis Renault, the Chief of Police, is quite openly corrupt, accepting bribes to issue the vital "exit visas" which will enable refugees to leave Casablanca; if the refugee in question is an attractive woman he is prepared to accept payment in the form of sexual favours rather than cash.

By the end of the film, however, all three have achieved redemption. Renault, who has no love for the Vichy regime he serves or their German masters, resolves to serve his country's interests rather than his own. Ilsa recognises that her place is by her husband's side and her duty to support him in his struggle. Rick not only recovers his lost political idealism but also, like Ilsa, sacrifices his own personal happiness and puts duty before love. Rick is the only major character who is an American, and can be seen as symbolising America's own journey from neutrality to wholehearted participation in the anti-Fascist struggle. It is significant that the action takes place in early December 1941, in the last few days before Pearl Harbor.

The complexity of these three characters demands acting of a high standard, and Bogart, Bergman and Claude Rains are all excellent. Bogart is particularly good; this is the finest of all his performances that I have seen, better even than "The African Queen" for which he won his only Oscar. (Not having seen Paul Lukas in"Watch on the Rhine" I cannot say whether Bogart deserved to win in 1943). There are several other good performances; those that stand out most come from Sydney Greenstreet as Rick's business rival Ferrari and Conrad Veidt as the main Nazi Major Strasser.

Paul Henreid as Victor is sometimes regarded as the acting "weak link", and he is certainly less than charismatic, but I felt this was necessary to emphasise the contrast between his character and Rick's. Rick may have a dubious past, but Bogart also makes him fascinating and charming enough to win and retain Ilsa's love, even though she is married to a man of great nobility whom she deeply admires. Henreid, by contrast, makes Victor the sort of man who can inspire admiration but who does not perhaps have enough warmth on a personal level to retain the wholehearted love of his wife.

Another notable feature is the musical score, making reference to the French and German national anthems, and the songs, especially "As Time Goes By", originally written in 1931 but since 1943 always associated with this film.

There is not sufficient space here to do justice to all the many aspects of this wonderful film. I will therefore just close my review by saying that as a combination of war, adventure and romance, and for its perfect marriage of script, direction, acting and music, "Casablanca" cannot be beaten. It gets better as time goes by. 10/10

Don't just watch it, Be a part of the Epic!

Author: Himanshu Mishra from India
20 September 2012

I have always watched and enjoyed movies produced all over the world but I feel its high time I put my thoughts on paper for the sake of records at least . Also, these will have the potential to create some nostalgic value later.

Coincidentally, I watched Casablanca for the first time (emotionally) few days back. The movie which is largely known as one of the greatest love stories of all time is not one, its much more than a mere love story.

It is a work of a man who at the time of making this piece seemed to have acquired such levels of skills in his art form that it is next to impossible to be able to find a flaw in this work even for the finest of the observers.

How do I even start here? I should very well start with the image which has not left me ever since I have finished watching the movie. There is no doubt that Ingrid Bergman is one of the most naturally beautiful actresses Hollywood has seen in the last century, but in my opinion she is also one of the very few actors who could speak through their eyes exactly what was there in the heart of the character she was playing. This is a skill/gift which is found in a rare breed of actors. The scene where she looks at Rick (Humphrey Bogart) after all those years of separation is a perfect example of the role eyes ought to play to emote ones feelings without utterance of a single alphabet. Its hard to believe how she did not receive an Oscar nomination for this movie as she ended up receiving seven of them in a long glittering career. The prospect of watching all of those is a temptation that can not be defined.

I haven't seen all of Bergman's fine performances but in the few that I have seen, one can easily conclude that she has the ability to give multiple layers to her character which is the case in Casablanca as well. The flair with which she has been able to shift between various moods of innocence, mystery and sheer passion is remarkable. Of course, credit must also go to Curtiz who orchestrated this mood dance.

The character of Rick is like an iceberg which has been put in fire to melt and vanish and just before it starts to lose its identity it takes inspiration from itself and extinguishes the fire with the water it had lost. There could not have been a better choice for this role than Humphrey Bogart, every square inch of whose countenance reflects the state of mind he is in. Moreover, he is a true style icon in this movie and fits the part to the hilt which pops up the following question: was the role of Rick written for him or he was the best fit for the role!

As is seems, the image of protagonists is at the top of my mind their role in the greatness of the movie is certainly not limited to being the faces of the movie. Having said that, below the surface its the work of a master who has engineered multiple components into a giant which overpowers most others in its proximity. This fine piece of work makes its entry straight into the list of Cinema Extraordinaire because of its universal appeal, unique treatment, essentially real yet whimsical script, gripping screenplay and stupendous display of ever changing human behavior.

The range of emotions and situations this film has on offer at every stage of the movie makes it a sumptuous and delicious meal for audiences of varying taste. The movie reaches its climax in 95 minutes and it feels like that perfectly timed dessert which is an extremely rare delight.

The manner in which any two characters have been linked in this movie is the most unique to say the least. There are many two way relationships which have been portrayed with considerable depth on screen in such a small time that you start wondering by the time movie reaches its final moments that how was it even possible to experience so much in such a short time.

Every character leaves an indelible mark even though all it did in the movie was hit a few guitar strings or pick pocket at a restaurant. Every scene in the movie is a study in itself.

This is a must watch for anyone who has ever thought of himself as a movie fan. Casablanca without doubt makes its way in my all time top 5 list!

www.imnotafilmcritic.blogspot.in

Excellent! One of the best!

Author: Mary Ann
14 March 2012

Romance. Drama. Humphrey Bogart. 3 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Put them together and what do you get? Warner Brothers' "Casablanca". Set in Casablanca during WWII, this film tells the story of Rick Blaine (Bogart), a bar owner bitter after an abruptly-ended romance with the lovely Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman). Rick's doing okay, that is until Ilsa walks back into his bar and his life, bringing her husband (Paul Henreid) with her. Add into the cast great talents like Claude Rains, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet and how can you lose?

Arguably the best movie of all time, "Casablanca" is well-worth viewing. If you haven't seen it, get it and watch it. If you have seen it, get it and watch it again. Watch it, Sam. Watch "Casablanca".

One of the greatest films ever

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
23 July 2009

If ever a film deserved to be considered a classic then this is it, even if you haven't seen it before you'll recognise much of the dialogue; it is probably the most quoted, and misquoted, film of all time. Humphrey Bogart is excellent in this career defining role as bar owner Rick Blaine who has come into possession of two "letters of transit" which guarantee the holders unhindered passage out of Casablanca. He has these as Ugarte, the man who asked him to look after them, was captured by the Vichy French police before he could get them back. Ugarte had been planning to sell the documents to Victor Laszlo, a Czech nationalist who is fleeing from Nazi occupied Europe to the United States via neutral Portugal. Things are complicated by the fact that Laszlo's wife Ilsa had a relationship with Rick before the fall of Paris and he never really got over her.

Right up until the end we don't know what Rick will do, perhaps he will let Victor and Ilsa have the letters, perhaps he will let Victor have them on condition that Ilsa stays with him or perhaps he will betray Victor and leave Casablanca himself with Ilsa. Bogart isn't the only great performance; Ingrid Bergman is fantastic as Ilsa, there is a real chemistry between her and Bogart, Claude Rains is great as the French policeman who's loyalty is likely to change depending on who he thinks is likely to be the most use to him and Paul Henreid's restrained performance as Victor Laszlo is faultless too.

It is hard to say what genre this film is, it is one of the great romances, it is also a war film, a thriller and even has some subtle comedy moments. Don't be put off by the film's age, the fact that it is in black and white or that it has a U certificate, this film is a must see. Whatever your tastes you owe it to yourself to watch this at least once, although I suspect few people will only want to watch it just once.

More than a classic

Author: IronBob
25 December 2008

There's one aspect of Casablanca that is seldom if ever discussed. Every character in the movie has made choices out of necessity rather than desire and yet the entire movie centers around desire.

Humphrey Bogart's, Rick, settles in Casablanca after being on the run with Sam, his piano man who has very little choice but to follow him. Bergman's, Ilsa, who is torn from Bogart in Paris, leaves him out of necessity when she learns her husband who she thought was dead is alive.

Ilsa's husband played by Paul Henreid, is a non-reluctant political mercenary, taking refuge in Casablanca.

In the background there is Louie, the French prefect, who also by necessity plays the aggressive supporter of Vichy France and yet has no love for his superiors.

In the background is the oppressiveness of the German army in a town where every non-native is there out of necessity, trying to free themselves from the yoke of German viciousness.

Thus is the backdrop where desire must heed to necessity against a menace out to crush both. A truly remarkable film with remarkable performances that have gone on to be more than a timeless classic but rather a thread in the fabric of every American. It carries messages that may seem lost on today's youth but still provides timeless lessons.

The ultimate classic…

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
15 April 2008

I believe it was Mark Twain that once lamented about his works being called classics, because in his opinion a classic is something that everyone respects but no one ever reads. Or watches, in the case of movies. To a certain extent I agree, because who other than English majors reads The Waste Lands or Heart of Darkness or Hard Times? And who really watches Citizen Kane or The Third Man or Casablanca for the entertainment value?

Well, maybe more people than I think. The Third Man is a hell of a movie. For me, the first half or so of Casablanca was remarkably uninteresting, although the atmosphere created by the war taking place off screen is incredibly well done. I just hope I'm not becoming spoiled by modern film, that's one of my biggest fears.

Casablanca is the last hope for people who can't get to Lisbon to escape from Europe as it descends into war, and because all of the dregs of European society (the people who can't afford to buy their way out) make their way by hook or by crook there, it becomes a sort of a prison where people wait for years for their chance to escape to America.

The movie is so famous and such an enduring classic that it's almost impossible to write a review of it without mentioning some of the memorable lines, which are so famous that they have become a part of modern lore, like "Here's lookin' at you, kid," and of course, "Of all the gin joints in the world…"

It's hard to imagine the movie-making world in which the movie was made, but equally fascinating to learn that the people making the movie had no idea that they were making what would become one of the most popular movies ever made. It was a big movie, of course, but it was made on a relatively tight budget, which is something that I wish modern filmmakers would remember. Money has never been what makes great movies. Few people know that anymore.

There is an intensely romantic story in the movie, what must be the best love story in a war film ever made, and it is remarkable how convincing and unpredictable it is. During the first half of the movie, it's easy to think that you can see exactly where it's going, which is most likely the reason I found parts of the first half slow and uninteresting.

But soon there comes a point where you realize that you can't predict the ending. Specifically, this happens when we learn that Ilsa's (Ingrid Bergman) "new" love, the man for whom her romance with Rick (Humphrey Bogart – one of the biggest giants in film history) has to end, is really a good man.

It's a strange love triangle between the three characters, one that many people may find morally repellent, but moving nonetheless. These are real people, not movie characters, and it seems that their amazing level of realism comes across on the screen so smoothly that it's almost by accident.

Ultimately Casablanca is a story about painful sacrifice for the greater good, softened by the assertion that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. It's fascinating to consider the reality of that statement as we hurtle through the cosmos suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. But as we try to find all the answers, it's nice to be able to look back to one of the most tumultuous times in modern history and see three people who know they have to suffer but know the reason why. So often we aren't afforded that luxury in real life.

So precise and detailed, so nostalgic, so legendary. So good

Author: Aku Koskinen from Finland
6 May 2007

For a long time I felt ashamed that I had never seen "Casablanca" which is among the most legendary movies ever made. Last night I finally had the chance to watch it and I was very surprised how good it actually was even this day when movies are so different. If you are going to watch this movie you honestly have to relate to the time when it was made, because if you're going to watch it like any other movie, you may be disappointed.

It was breath taking to see how detailed this movie actually was. Everything's just so precise, from the dialog to every single item that you see on the screen, even if it was only in the background. You can't even compare the acting to acting these days, it just isn't anything near it, as it's a totally different art form of its own, so significant and so great. Every single word spoken by every character is so powerful and compelling, every word is precise and carefully chosen. Humphrey Bogart is perfect for the role, a bad ass American, Rick Blaine, who owns a night club at Casablanca during the World War II, but yet he is surprisingly soft-hearted. Then there's the beautiful Ingrid Bergman, whose beauty shines through the screen in her role of Ilsa Lund, the woman who was Rick's one time love when they met in Paris. The story between Rick and Ilsa is filled with passion like no other, making the whole movie one of the most passionate movies ever made.

The screenplay's just excellent and it also compliments the whole directing of the movie. It progresses with scenes that are just so phenomenal, so legendary and so nostalgic. It includes one of the most legendary quotes in the history of motion pictures, for example; "Play it once, Sam", "We'll always have Paris" and "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". Even when I had never seen the movie, I just immediately recognised those sentences and smiled, as they are among the sentences everybody knows even if they've never seen "Casablanca" before. The whole plot is also surprisingly exciting, comparing to the plots nowadays it would definitely work in any movie, as it is just so thrilling from the beginning till the end and you just can't know how it ends before the last minute of the movie. The final solution's just genius and it's actually so good that I had to start clapping my hands together when the movie ended. Superb.

One of the best things now when I've seen the film is that I can finally be proud in saying "I've seen Casablanca. And I love it" Even after 65 years, "Casablanca" simply shines, making it enjoyable in every imaginable way. It's thrilling, it's passionate, it's flowing and it's just excellent. Throw away your thoughts of modernity and enjoy some real nostalgia with amazing role performances, superb directing and an excellent screenplay. A masterpiece.