IMDb > Casablanca (1942) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casablanca

Casablanca More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 113: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Obvious Instant Classic!

Author: BatmanAndRobyn from United States
13 March 2013

Prior to seeing this in it's entirety, I'd only seen the closing scene where the plane is taking off and Bogart's infamous quote is spoken.

Needless to say, this film was fantastic. The characters and acting were flawless. The story line includes a love story of epic proportions and shows the audience what war and invasions can do to a relationship. It tears it apart. Also, for some reason, I really liked Sam's storyline-- I found him to be a very interesting minor character.

The use of one sided, low-lighting was present throughout and helped make some of the scenes seem a bit more dramatic. I also found myself admiring the photography from beginning to end. You could pause that movie at almost any spot and it could easily be used as a still frame or photograph. Still frames alone would be able to tell this story, obviously not as great as the film though. The cinematography and photography were absolutely beautiful.

First-timer

Author: RoseXGold from United States
13 March 2013

Seeing this movie for the first time in the 21st century, I asked myself, "Well...was it as great as expected?". I'd have to go with a yeah, sure! The movie was interesting. Was it the best movie I ever saw in my life? Uhh, not really. The main thing is that is kept me captivated (almost forgot I was watching it) and I was able to relate to parts of the film. When a movie is able to do that, create a relatable feeling for its audiences, then it's a winner. Casablanca was a real love story. Not this fluff that we see now a days that have the same concept and the same story line. I loved this films mise-en-scene. The props and effects used made the setting seem so real. There was great use of invisibility. Even though the scenes were not shot overseas, it kind of made you forget where they really were shooting.

Great cinematography

Author: bcaulford from United States
13 March 2013

This was a very good movie that highlighted an important part in history. There were many French citizens attempting to flee to America during World War II and in this film many were forced to stay in Casablanca waiting for a plane to take them there. During this period in time it was uncertain as to who would win the war. The photography in this film was awesome; there were many great lighting details and there was never a point where it was too dark where it covered actors and actresses faces. I noticed that shadows were especially never cast on female actresses faces and it was always shooting at the main actress, Ingrid Bergman, from the left side. This was great because her eyes were always glistening when the light was hitting her from that side. Even in Ricks cafe the lighting seemed natural as if you were sitting right in that very room watching everything take place. Overall this was a good movie with a good plot with great lighting and cinematography.

Almost flawless film

Author: varagirl85 from United States
25 January 2013

It is one the most exquisitely well thought out and put together film in history.

If you are not paying attention right from the beginning, you'll miss the beginning set-up, which is the key to appreciating the rest of the film. What really makes the movie is the importance and urgency of the time that the film is set -- for all the characters in this story, for this one small gin joint and this one very obscure city, for all of Europe and all the world. What is particularly important is the desperation of this moment in history. It is brilliantly boiled down into a tableau of detailed interwoven personal stories of greed, power and need, love and sacrifice, loyalty and betrayal.

The acting is flawless across the board with these iconic actors really shinning; the screenplay dialogue is smart, witty, with hardly an unnecessary word; the direction and cinematography are flawless, with each scene framed like a movie poster; and the musical numbers contribute the environment and the emotional gravitas without making the film be contrived. I had to watch this film twice before I could fully appreciate it; there's that much to take in.

Everyone should watch this movie

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
12 November 2012

Here is a movie that has always found a way to remain in the top of the lists when it comes to the best movies ever done.

Casablanca crosses the genre of drama and romance, the acting was top notch and the movie's screenplays were so well done, that you will be torn in two for Lily. Humphrey Bogart (Rick) was the perfect prince charming, and also a hero in all ways including love.

Done in 1942 Casablanca is based on an unproduced play named "Everybody Comes to Rick's" by Murray Burnett and Joan Alison.

The movies ending is one that I love and is something you can skip back to watch again, the dramatic scene, which showed sacrifice, love and suspense. The twist at the end is something the producers would have slipped in to catch the audience off guard, something I enjoyed.

Casablanca's lines ("Here is looking at you kid" and "This Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship") have remained on the lips of many and it has fondly been repeated in more movies than I can bet the producers would have even dreamt.

So what is this great movie about? Casablanca's plot is set during the early years of World War 2, In Casablanca (Morocco) the is a man named Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) who owns the most popular handout spot in Casablanca, he had everything under control and he even had influence on the police. Everything was fine till the past came knocking.

Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) an old lover of Rick shows up at Rick's nightclub and sparks were sent flying in both ways, as they lost contact (Ilsa's fault) without any explanations.

Ilsa is not alone, with her is her husband Victor Laszlo (Paul Henereid) who is a renowned fugitive Czech Resistance leader.

The couple needs letters to escape to America, letters only Rick can give. So Rick is in a dilemma to help the woman he loves escape with her husband or keep her in Casablanca.

Nominated for eight (8) Academy Awards, Casablanca went home with 3, Best Picture, Best director and Best writing screenplay, Casablanca is a commercial success and has a strong cult following, which has disturbed any plans for a sequel and also the colorization of the movie.

The movie cinematography was done by the cinematographer of the movie Frankenstein (1931), who made sure that any time we get to see Bergman her eyes sparkled.

Here is a movie, AFI has ranked the 3rd greatest of all time in their AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition). I advise you get a taste of Casablanca, an iconic movie that sets the trend of what a true romantic movie should be about.

www.lagsreviews.com

Casablanca WWII, love, intrigue and drama.

Author: chainsawz from United States
10 November 2012

Bogart at his best with a great cast consisting of Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains. This is a movie classic you haven't lived till you have watched Casablanca. So many memorable quotes and a epic song "As time goes by" sung by Arthur "Dooley" Wilson. I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue. Who could forget the beautiful Ingrid Bergman. As CapitanRenault would say, "I was informed that you were the most beautiful woman ever to visit Casablanca. That was a *gross* understatement." Here's looking at you kid. 3 Academy Awards in 1944 including the Best Picture of the year.

This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. You and Casblanca!

wow...

Author: alwaysdubbin91 from upstate New York
31 October 2012

this is a timeless film. the plot has a very good balance between complexity and ease to fallow. there is a lot going on at any given time, but the director Michael Curtiz and the editor Owen Marks do a great job of keeping everything under control so the viewer does not get lost. the acting is absolutely superb on basically every account, especially Humphrey Bogart's. his character Rick own the most popular café/bar in town, but Rick has a lot of things to deal with and i thought that Bogart really gave the character exactly what it needed. this movie is also interesting because it had a lot of political ties with the things that were actually happening when the movie was released.

True classic

Author: Morgan_Leslie93 from United States
19 October 2012

There's such a wonderful since of composition and lighting throughout the whole movie. It was shot with low light however there were so many wonderful shadows and subtle highlights on the actors and walls that gave for a great feel to bring the audience into Rick's. The characters all have such great depth and it makes you wonder how these people all ended up in Casablanca and whether they'll be able to escape the town. It has so many different great themes such as politics, romance and comedy. The chemistry between Rick and Isla is fantastic and believable. The movie has a few twists in it and even though it was a post code movie there are some little things that you get the hint of that might not necessarily appropriate for the code. I have to say a real American classic that everyone should see at least once in their life time.

great movie

Author: r-ragbeer from United States
19 October 2012

Casablanca is an absolutely amazing movie, the acting was top notch, the plot kept the movie interesting the entire time. The style of witty comedy and its political hints were great. Humphrey Bogart played his role very well.The plot of the movie was amazing there were points throughout the film where you might think that you know how the movie is going to end but it goes in another direction which makes you want to keep watching to see what actually happens. The high point in this film came at the end of the movie at the airport, it was something that you wanted to happen and it did so it made it that much better to see the outcome of it all. This movie is a must see for anyone who loves an amazing movie.

11 out of 10 Stars

Author: ChristophCinema from United States
16 October 2012

What can you say about Casablanca? I'm serious. What can be said about it? It's one of the greatest films of all time and everybody already knows it. This movie is so perfect, that it actually brings tears to my eyes. The acting, the characters, the story, the quotes, the humor, the drama, the atmosphere; everything is just perfect. This is what classics are made of. Picking my favorite thing about this movie is almost impossible because everything goes together hand in hand. But if I had to pick 2 things that make this movie great, it would have to be the two main characters, and the world the movie transports you to. First of all, the two leads. Humphrey Bogart is the man. He's always the man. I've never seen a movie where he wasn't the man. Why is he considered the "Greatest Actor of All Time"? Because he's Humphrey Bogart, that's why. I think Humphrey Bogart perfected the concept of an "imperfect hero". From the very beginning, you see that people would die for him, but he wouldn't do the same. He claims to be neutral, but you're never sure which side he's really on. He's so calm and mysterious, but his decisions are based mostly on his unpredictable emotions. He has such a presence to him, but you're constantly wondering if he'll do the right thing in the end. Ingrid Bergman is also amazing playing opposite of Humphrey Bogart. Just like Bogart, she is very mysterious, and you want to know more about her. She also goes above and beyond the typical 1940s female performance. She gets so into the role, it may actually be the most emotional performance I've ever seen from this time period. These two are just perfect together. I love how most of the movie, we're left in the dark about their relationship. All we know is that these two knew each other at one point, and that they once had something. I love how most of the backstory can be seen in the faces of the two main actors. The movie doesn't even need that flashback scene, because you can see how important these two are to each other just by looking at their faces. The flashback scene is great, but I think it would've been cooler if the whole movie, we didn't know their history together. The last thing that I love about this movie is the world. This movie is classic Hollywood fantasy world, and it sure knows how to suck you right in. This isn't real life, it's the movie world; and that's what makes this movie so classic. Even though it has that 1940s acting, and many of the clichés of the time, it still remains timeless. It's all fun, from beginning to end. You may feel like you're watching a movie, but that's just because you are. This is what movies are all about. They're not about showing us what life is really like; they're about letting us escape to a world where life is more interesting. Like I said, this movie just defines "classic". The characters are unforgettable, the scenes are so memorized, and the quotes are so recognizable (it's no wonder this film may be the most referenced/spoofed/quoted film of all time). This film is so perfect, it gets better and better each time I see it. It's so classic; it kind of hurts. So bottom line….it's alright.