IMDb > Sergeant York (1941) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sergeant York

Sergeant York More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

One of the corniest films ever made!

Author: (roman11@aol.com) from Palo Alto, CA
21 January 2003

I'm a patriotic American............but this tripe with it's phony hillbilly accents and contrived plots is about as bad as it gets. The only saving grace in this farce are the battle scenes with fine acting by Joe Sawer as the Sergeant, Stanley Ridges as the major and Carl Esmond as the German major Ah hair an you haint... oh brother!

Sergeant Yawn

Author: Alex da Silva from United Kingdom
26 May 2011

Alvin York (Gary Cooper) lives in a small farming community and doesn't bother with things like going to church. He works hard and likes to wind down by getting drunk and fighting. One day, after a talk with Pastor Pile (Walter Brennan), he gets his hallelujah moment and becomes religious. But what a time to discover God....he's needed to join the army and go killing people. We see Alvin brooding over the matter before he goes to war and becomes a hero. This is a true story.

This film is way too long and the first hour is boring and unnecessary. I'm afraid that Alvin's life is just not very interesting and the characters that live in his world are stupid and slow. A special mention for annoying goes to Margaret Wycherly who plays his mother. Every time she appears, we get this patronizingly wholesome and dull music accompanying her as she plays her part with a slowness and deliberation that will have you cringing. Unless you are a moron.

Gary Cooper is watchable, as always, but he is way too old for the part. It is completely unbelievable that he has a younger brother "George" as played by Dickie Moore who is so young. Walter Brennan is good as the preacher man despite his crazy eyebrows. Both these actors give the film a touch of humour here and there, eg, when they are discussing how to get out of the draft via immunity but the whole film is annoyingly underplayed by Cooper and he comes across as a simpleton. I understand that the war scenes did actually occur and that is to the real Sergeant York's credit. This needs to be understood before seeing the film or you will just dismiss his actions as Hollywood sensationalism as Cooper pretty much wins the war single-handedly.

The music for this film is terrible - imagine playing the dreary English National Anthem.....repeatedly.....on purpose. The guy in the music department was obviously mental. Despite having a dull, goody-two shoes script, the performance of Cooper keeps you watching and the name "Alvin York" now takes a new significance when it comes to famous "Alvins". To an Englishman, he's up there in the top 3, just ahead of Alvin and the Chipmunks but just behind Alvin Martin the West Ham defender, although he is still way behind the legendary 1970's singer Alvin Stardust (won't you be my "Coo Ca Choo").

Piece of Propaganda

Author: ssnorri-981-591970 from United States
19 February 2011

That says it all. I must have seen this movie when I was very young. I can remember playing the game WAR during recess at play-school with the other kids. After growing up I almost joined the Marines once I finished High School. Thank goodness I didn't do that. I just watched this last night on AMC and was blown away at the unbelievable amount of complete brainwashing represented in this film. The decision to fight for God & Country. The fact that this movie was released in the summer/fall of 1941 and the fact the Roosevelt knew that the US was headed into war despite what the country was being told made this movie a complete wash for me. There should be a 0 rating available for movies like this.

sorry, but this "movie" has not withstood...

Author: Poyntelle99 from United States
8 August 2006

unlike Casablanca and King Kong and the Wizard of Oz, Sergeant York has simply not withstood the test of time. Cinematically, the film is average at best and carries no replay value whatsoever. The extreme level of patriotism injected into the storyline almost guarantees that lame clichés are coming around every corner. And who cares about the man's bleak existence in backwoods Tennessee?!?! Sure, I love a good biopic (Capote, Chariots of Fire, Michael Collins...) but there has to be SOME drama or suspense or black comedy somewhere in the plot. Instead, we get a stiff Gary Cooper and a bunch of sugarcoated G-rated bull crap. I'll give it a 6/10 because that last scene where York snipes a billion Germans is okay, but the rest of this project gets a 4. Not recommended viewing for people who like to stay awake while watching TV

What was MGM thinking?

Author: Pat-88
25 April 1999

Why everyone liked this film so much? This gotta be one of the worst movies ever made. The acting stinks. I can't understand what the little boy is talking about. His acting is too painful to watch.

Is this movie supposed to be a comedy? I found myself laughting my head off at this movie. It's probably the stupid acting. And stupid fight scenes in the bar. These people foughted like they were in WCW. Watching York giving the man a body slammed is so moronic. People called this good acting? Everytime, someone tell me that, I'd would roll on the ground and laugh myself silly.

Believe me, the acting in this movie is awful. Don't believe anyone tell you that this was a good movie. It's not, it's one of the worst movies ever. This movie doesn't deserve 8.4; this film really deserve 2 or lower. This movie makes me sick while watching this.

What a crappy movie

1/2 *

A VERY STUPID MOVIE

Author: anonymous
19 March 1999

Some people will get mad at me for this, I really think that this movie is pretty lame. There are a lot of things wrong with this film.

1. Everyone acting stinks except Gary Cooper.

2. York's Wife looks too old, I though that was his mother. Then I found out that she was his wife when someone told me so.

3.There were too many people getting drunk,.They can take that off of the picture. That part doesn't fit with this movie whatsoever.

4. Some background music doesn't fit well with some parts.

I just don't understand why people liked this film so much? All of the people in this movie mostly are just silly and sometimes rude. My grandfather told me that he saw this film in the theaters. He tells me that this is the first movie he ever walked out of. And he says "This movie is a waste of time crap". I have to agree with him.

If you want a good war movie go watch "Saving Private Ryan". Don't watch this crappy war flick, It's bad!

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]