One Foot in Heaven (1941) Poster

35 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Sometimes Hollywood gets it....
samthemacman3 July 2005
Being a preacher's kid is never easy. I was one, and so was my wife. This movie portrays in dramatic ways the humanity and humour of being a preacher's family living essentially on hand outs and never quite having the perfect home for the kids. I can relate to Hartzel, the eldest son. Like him I wished my Dad could have been anything else but a preacher. Like Hartzel I found out in many situations just how much Dad would go through for us.

This movie is nostalgic in many ways. It hearkens back to a time when values like vision, and sacrifice were highly esteemed, and were going the extra mile was not an option but an expected way of life. Sometimes, when I look back, I rewind this video and watch it.

It is a human story, wrapped up in the faith of a man and his family, who laid hold of a dream to make God real in every facet of life, and to show people that God cares about all of us. It is a story of trial and adversity and perseverance and triumph. In the end it is not the glory and accolades of man that matter, but of having lived a life well lived and full to brim.

The cast of this film is perfect and very believable. Some of the characters I have known personally in different churches my father pastored. It is as if they are in every congregation. The issues of never owning a home or being able to decorate as you please, or not having enough groceries, and even the leaky roof over our heads, all resonate. I have lived through them myself. These things really happened to the circuit preachers and those who went and started new churches. These things still happen.

It is a good script, and is not in conflict with the book. The book is well worth the read as well. I have both the movie and the book. It sits amongst my most prized possessions.

You will find yourself laughing, you will shake your head in disbelief, you will get ticked off, but in the end you will find yourself appreciating and loving this very human family that attempts to keep loving and keep living out what they believe, to love God and to love your neighbour as yourself.

This movie will reveal just how much and how full a life can be, and how meaningful it is to serve others. Gayle Sayers the Hall of Fame running back of the Chicago Bears said, "God first, others second, myself third." This is exactly what this movie is about. Getting the priorities right and living life to the full.
33 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A World That Is Gone Forever.
lrrap19 January 2003
"One Foot in Heaven" is quite simply one of the most beautiful films that I have encountered. A mainstream film of this sort would NEVER even be considered today; it seems even a bit tame for 1940.

And yet, the world was vastly different then, and the gentle,loving tone of this film reflects a sort of "old-time" morality that seems hopelessly lost today.

This was a major Warner Brothers release and, with Hal Wallis as producer, one expects and gets a very high quality film which lovingly recreates scenes from the life of an ordinary Methodist minister during the first 40 years of the 20th century. No earth-shaking events here--just the day-to-day trials and tribulations, the simple joys and heartaches, the small-town politics and frustrations that reveal humanity in all of its imperfections.

I am amazed that Frederic March is sometimes regarded as a dull actor; he was the epitome of subtle, honest realism, and he carries the narrative of this film in an amazing way, tender, gracious, humorous, a bit stodgy--but always willing to "bend" when necessary, resourceful, loving, and above all, very human.

The movie is filled with an array of Hollywood's best character actors, and the extremely detailed sets, costumes, etc really serve as a "window" to another time and place in our American past.

Max Steiner's extremely pious score is almost a bit much at times, but it nonetheless adds a reverent strength to the proceedings.

And then, there is the final scene, one of the most moving and unique in any film that I know. Once again, the ultimate destination of the plot is nothing earth-shaking---but the concept and staging of the last scene is really remarkable. A simple, old-time street on a gorgeous spring day, the townspeople who have come to know and love their minister all stopping their work and joining the procession through the street as they follow the sounds of the carillon from the new church. Martha Scott, Frankie Thomas, Gene Lockhart, Beulah Bondi, Harry Davenport, Laura Hope Crews--many of whom have locked horns with Mr. March during the course of the film, now join together in the dappled sunlit street, finally arriving at the church where they all lift their voices together in the moving hymn "The Church's One Foundation"... as we see Mr. March himself seated at the carillon, struggling to continue playing it through the tears streaming down his face....

I think Turner Classics has a print of this film (I saw and taped it off of Chicago's PBS station some years ago). Try to see it; like the world it represents, this beautiful film may also disappear forever.
38 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Life
jacksflicks27 April 2001
For those who are cynical about the religious life, here's a movie which ought to put some of that cynicism to rest. "One Foot in Heaven" is the true story of a Methodist preacher and his family, and it rings true, not just for the humanity Frederic March brings to his role as the preacher, but for the situations and characters that many of us, regardless of creed, will easily relate to. My dad used to say, A church is its people. I think One Foot in Heaven is a perfect illustration of this truth. Though this is a story about a preacher, we aren't preached at. There's a wonderful scene, with the preacher gently urging his agnostic doctor to start coming to church. He doesn't beat him over the head with a Bible but tries a more "humanist" approach.

Someone else has compared One Foot in Heaven with It's a Wonderful Life. Another film to compare is Going My Way. In fact, One Foot in Heaven and Going My Way were released just a year apart. There are story similarities, like the building of new churches (The Bishop's Wife is another example), but it's interesting to see how religion in the community is seen respectively through Protestant and Catholic lenses.

Then, there's the final scene. In some ways it's corny, but it still moves me. It hearkens to a time when religion wasn't sectarian but seamlessly interwoven in community life, unselfconsciously and unostentatiously. It was before the battle lines between religionists and secularists were drawn, when America had a "civil" religion. Alas, a time past.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it's a wonderful life from a different view
gandpbaily19 February 2003
one foot in heaven is the type of movie that makes a person want to look into how their life has effected other people. (just as the movie about george baily in it's a wonderful life. a simple story about one man's life and how he was able to do, not exciting things, but long lasting things that made people better for having know him. it is great to find this movie playing on tv, but it should be put on dvd or tape for us to enjoy much more often.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Methodist family story
balbannock30 July 2003
Witty film that chronicles the career of a Methodist minister and his family over several decades. It was up for Best Picture against "Citizen Kane" and some other well known films, but is less known than the others. You don't have to be Methodist to get the point.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Setting An Example
bkoganbing4 February 2006
One Foot in Heaven is based on the memoirs of journalist Hartzell Spence's growing up as a Methodist preacher's kid in midwest USA from the Theodore Roosevelt era to the Roaring Twenties. It's what they mean when they talk about a family values film. The Camden Family of Seventh Heaven could well have been modeled on the Spence Family of generations past.

Young William Spence played by Fredric March has abandoned a career in medicine after being saved at a revival meeting and goes all the way and becomes a Methodist minister. Though taken aback by the career change, fiancé Martha Scott still marries him and the story follows them for the next 20 years or so, moving from one parish to another. Scott and March are such a good fit as the preacher and wife you would think that March was doing this with his own wife, Florence Eldridge.

March strikes just the right note as the minister, a just and pious man without being overbearing and sanctimonious. Would that preachers today were like him. He also demonstrates a capacity to learn. When his son goes to the silent cinema in defiance of Methodist preaching against the cinema, March takes him in hand to show him the error of his ways. They go to a William S. Hart western and March to his amazement finds he likes it and the western tale carries a good moral positive moral lesson. He changes his own view on the subject.

He also has to deal with a whole lot of modern day pharisees in dealing with the various politics of every parish he's assigned to. Chief among his tormentors are Beulah Bondi, the richest woman in town, who's actually offended by him treating her gardner Harry Davenport as an equal.

And there's Gene Lockhart who has something of the same role here as in Going My Way. But he's not as nice in this film. When he loses control of the church choir which Lockhart regarded as his private preserve, he and wife Laura Hope Crews mount a vicious smear campaign against March's son Frankie Thomas. His confrontation with Hope Crews and her gossip circle is a high point of the film.

Like Seventh Heaven there are some good humorous moments as well. I like March trolling for some marriage business down at the town clerk's office, looking for some wedding fees when times are a little lean. And the usual problems of dealing with parsonages which are not the most kept up buildings in the town.

The title of the film comes from March's explanation that he and his family have to set an example if in fact his profession puts them one foot in heaven already. It's good entertainment and Fredric March and Martha Scott do set the best example we'll ever see.
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A man ahead of his time
jotix10024 May 2007
Warner Bros. 1941 "One Foot in Heaven" was an inspired film. Based on a real person, William Spence, and adapted the from the biographic book by his son, Hartzel Spence, showed a truly rare individual who gave up his own medical ambition when he heard the call to serve as a Methodist minister. Directed by Irving Rapper, and with a musical score by Max Steiner, it was a crowd pleaser that continues to capture new friends, even today.

The success of the film lies on the fantastic portrayal of William Spence by Fredric March, who was at the height of his career. The character of Mr. Spence comes across as a no-nonsense man who must deal with the narrow mindedness of the small Iowa community he is sent to. Coming with his young wife, Mr. Spence was not prepared for what he would find in Laketon. The beautiful Hope, who came from another world feels inadequate in dealing with the church ladies who come to help her.

Mr. Spence gave his life to the town that didn't want any changes in their lives. When he proposed a new church to replace the older one, he meets the resistance of the elder moneyed classes. When they turn against him, they use every tactic, including slander to get him to his knees, but fortunately, he knew better. At the end, he was successful in giving the town what he envisioned was his contribution to the community where he spent his life.

Mr. March's performance is key that brings the action together. Lovely Martha Scott plays Hope Spence with dignity. The amazing supporting cast is wonderful. Gene Lockhart, Beulah Bondi, Moroni Olsen, and Grant Mitchell, among others do excellent job, something that was a hallmark of the Warner films of the time.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A touching look at a Methodist minister's life.
Mike-76411 January 2005
William Spence abandons his ideas of becoming a doctor instead turning to a life as a Methodist minister. He takes he new bride, Hope, to a small Iowa town where he sets up his congregation and over the years he and Hope (along with their daughter and two sons) move from town to town going through many hardships and learning many ideas about the people they preach to. The film focuses mainly on the Spence's parish in Denver where Dr. Spence would like a better church for his parishioners, as well as a better home for he and his family, but are turned away by the affluent parishioners of the city when Dr. Spence tries to put his ideas into the church, rather than keep the status quo that has always been in place. Dr. Spence then has to fight to get the church built and protect his family from the mudslinging going around town, which leads to his eldest son, Hartzell, getting expelled from school. An excellent look at what may be perceived as a boring subject, thanks primarily to the wonderful script by Casey Robinson (based on Hartzell Spence's book). March and Scott are the perfect players for the William and Hope, making you believe these are real people rather than actors. A wonderful ending only heightens the enjoyment of the movie, but the treat for me was the good feeling that the film leaves you with. Rating, 10.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very good film for all to experience
Shiloh-319 February 2003
Chronicling the struggles, hardships and successes of a minister and his family. Real life circumstances and true depictions of faith pitted against human nature at its best and worst. The human quality of this film is spiritually uplifting. Please see it if you can.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Fabulous Film
2evryman24 October 2007
This is an extraordinary film. Somewhat reminiscent of a film that came out about 14 years later, "A Man Called Peter". The true story of Pastor Peter Marshall. I was stunned to see a fairly good depiction of a cohesive, loving family, whose father was a biblically solid Christian pastor. He was not a thundering hypocrite as Hollywood now paints any Protestant clergy in the movies and on TV.

I saw it this morning on TCM and was greatly impressed by its sensitive portrayal of the pastor played by March. Except for the film about Peter Marshall, I have never seen a finer rendering of a Christian family on film. I loved the musical score, it had a great mix of some of the finest hymns of the Christian Church. I must agree with a previous comment, the final scene of the town folk's response to Pastor Spence's playing of the bells,was great. It brought tears to my eyes.

I hope you can tell, I liked this movie! - Jay Howard
The First Picture Show
krorie15 March 2006
Though this film sounds boring, a preacher's life from the time he is called until he nears the end of life's journey, it is actual an exciting, fast-paced, sometimes humorous account of the trials and tribulations of a minister and his family, showing both the good and the bad. Obviously Hollywood's design in releasing this movie in 1941 was to serve as a morale booster as the flames of war began to encircle America. Often World War I was used as a stand-in for World War II to stir up the urge to fight the enemy and fan the fires of patriotism. Yet many of these films, such as "Yankee Doodle Dandy," were exceptional. "One Foot in Heaven" is one such achievement.

Based on the real life experiences of a Methodist minister in Iowa from the perspective of his son, the movie highlights certain rites of passage from the disappointment of his future in-laws when they hear that their future son-in-law has suddenly decided to change from becoming a doctor to being a preacher in a jerkwater town, to his final triumph of using his skills as an organizer and arm twister to have a modern church built to replace the old deteriorated one. There is much joy along with many heart rending decisions that keep the story moving. Director Irving Rapper wisely ignores sermonizing and actual preaching to concentrate on the personal life of the Spence family.

My favorite part is when the minister takes his son to a movie to instruct him why he should not be slipping around to see picture shows. The man of the cloth is surprised when the silent flick, William S. Hart in "The Silent Man" (1917), turns out to be a moralistic tale against evil, so effective that the minister uses it as the subject of his sermon on Sunday. Watching this scene gives the modern film goer a once in a lifetime chance to have a vicarious experience attending an early cinema complete with piano player and a kid attempting to read the subtitles aloud.

The acting is topnotch with most of the faces being familiar to movie buffs, including a walk-on by a young Gig Young. Kudos to makeup artist and innovator Perc Westmore for making Fredric March and Martha Scott appear to actually age from young adults to old adults as the story progresses.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The story of a Methodist minister and his family; and the trials of their life.
hope-2118 June 1999
ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN is a wonderful story of what it takes to not only endure the difficulties in being a minister; but how these problems build character.

Year after year of allowing church bosses and bullies to dictate what will and won't be allowed, the minister finally learns how to beat them at their own game.

It has so many touches of warmth, in which a subliminal message of truth is going on coupled with hints of blackmail and leverage.

When Dr. Spence refuses to name his own son Wm. Spence, Jr. because he says, "Junior is a sissy name and I won't have my son being a sissy!" his wife decides to coerce him by holding back on the cooking of dinner until he gives in to her wishes. Thinking she's won, he says he'll name the baby in church next Sunday. As he asks for the name and she announces to the congregation, "William Spence, Junior," he repeats it as "William Frasier Spence" ("named after my grand old Scottish Uncle Frasier--and I don't mean the one who was hanged as a horse thief!")

It is this war of wills that carries the story; making each episode build to the next one. Tempered with touches of right and wrong, it is a classic! A must see! Good conflict, good story line.

Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture.
Family Memories
rejoyce_rejoyce24 July 2002
I wish I had seen the entire movie, so I could tape it to show my mom & my aunts (preacher's kids). Their memories they've shared of growing up during the Depression & WWII gave this movie a familiar ring. They didn't grow up Methodist, but I did! Only movie I've ever seen that focused on a Methodist minister & family.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming!
AlanBryan211223 March 2008
I watched this today, Easter Sunday 2008, on TCM. Totally charming and warm-hearted this is the kind of film you rarely see anymore.

It's a positive movie overall. It deals with a preachers conflict among church members and his own family that one sees in most small town churches.

The performances were quite good and all the lead actors deserve praise. The child actors were cute without being annoying.

My favorite character was the gardener Samson. His simple persona made me think that he could almost be a blueprint for Peter Sellers character in "Being There".

I was a preacher's kid too so I understood this film from that perspective.

The end scene is gorgeous and touching.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How little things have changed in 58 years...
BrianToo28 April 1999
Of course, it's impossible to tell how much of this story is dramatized and how much is real. And the gothic ideals of what a "church" should be are now very period--as they should be. But what makes this film work is the human nature presented through the characters. I say this because, as a (United) Methodist pastor, I know and have known the very types of characters represented in this film. And as one who sometimes wonders whether I'm fulfilling the mandate of my calling, this film was a welcome and refreshing reminder of maintaining my focus. It is probably a good insight for church members who want to get a glimpse of what life is truly like for a clergy person, then as now (though my parsonage is countless times better than what poor Dr. Spence had to live with!). A recommended dose of reality for the clergy-weary and the clergy-wary alike!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful
Ronin-5831 July 2003
A return to a time of morals and truth. Very refreshing with March in a lesser known but very well made film. Serious in it's own way as it explores both March's calling and the family's growth, but very upbeat. Bring a Kleenex for the last scene.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie transcends time. The issues are still relevant today!
pianokay-14 February 2006
This movie is one of my all-time favorites! It closely resembles another movie about the life of Peter Marshall. The fact that both movies were based on the lives of men who actually lived make give them more credibility. Both movies have had a positive inspirational influence on my life. I am a church organist and pianist and the music in this movie as well as the superb acting has enhanced my spiritual life. When I was married in 1967 I had watched the movie a few months before the wedding. I was a Presbyterian marrying a Roman Catholic in an ecumenical ceremony. The song from this movie was a perfect choice for the ceremony since it explained how the real foundation of the church transcends our earthly divisions of worship. I plan to order the book by Hazlett Spence if it is still in print. I am grateful to this website for additional information on a great movie. P.S. We just celebrated our thirty-eighth anniversary and have four wonderful children! I love happy endings!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you are a new pastor, see this movie
crainear29 August 2004
In a class I was taking we were assigned to watch this movie, and then, on paper, keep track of the conflicts that were found. I couldn't stop writing. It was one conflict after another.

I have just been moved to a new church, and though my problems were no where near what the pastor in the movie had to face, I learned a lot from it and I decided to share it with others.

We showed the movie at a Sunday Night service and it was well received and I recommend showing it to your churches. It generated a lot of laughter, especially the differences from then to today, but it also made many good points that hit home. I noticed a change in their attitudes the next day.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good 'feel-good' film
revd_rob19 July 2000
One Foot in Heaven is a good 'feel good' film.

It shows the life of an American Methodist Pastor with all the ups and downs of life in a parsonage of a family trying to make ends meet and with two children wishing their Father was in another profession. The film shows brilliantly and with good humour the way that the Church at times would be better without people, when Dr Spence manages to replace the choir for the summer, how he manages to have a new church built, where he at first meets great opposition.

Dr Spence's views change, for example on the evils of the Cinema, when he takes his son to the movies to prove his point but is pleasantly surprised to witness in a popular 'Western' of the day that he sees a parable on screen.

As an English Methodist Pastor,there are many episodes that I can relate to.I feel this is a good family film, It is a forgotten classic and should be released on Video or DVD as soon as possible!!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bit heavy with the schmaltz, but still a truly unique and worthy film
MartinHafer23 January 2008
When I first starting watching this film, I was a bit afraid that the film would be very heavy-handed or superficial since it was the story about a minister. Truth be told, there are a lot of really bad and preachy religious films out there--mostly because Hollywood never seemed to have much of a touch with this genre. Either they turned out over-done and emotionally sterile epics or the fare was just too heavy-handed and saccharine. Fortunately, while ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN is a tad heavy with the schmaltz on occasion, otherwise it's a very unique and noble film--noble because it not only shows the minister as quite human but also because he was a decent and admirable guy--not a cardboard saint. Plus, the film talks about a big secret among many Protestant churches--that they often pay the ministers way too little and the churches are sometime torn apart by pettiness. While this is directly attacked, the message never seems to be an attack on the church itself--just hypocrisy and the evil little wieners who cause dissension. So anyone afraid this film will step on their toes doesn't need to worry (unless they, too, are petty hypocrite wieners).

As for the technical merits of the film, the acting is just fine, the script very good and the film hums along quite nicely except for a few times when the music is a bit invasive. If you love very old fashioned hymns, then you won't mind, though.

Overall, a very good film and one that surprisingly has a lot to offer--not just a "feel good" or "hit 'em over the head with theology" film!
Great Classic Film of 1941
whpratt130 March 2005
Always enjoy viewing this film whenever it is shown on TV, it is truly a Classic film made during World War II and showed in great detail the struggles of a preacher and his family and the politics involved in the local town. There are the gossips, the rich and poor people he has to deal with and a very leaky roof to contend with and major improvements which need to be paid for. Fredric March,(William Spence),"The Iceman Cometh",'73, was the preacher who did an outstanding job acting this role, it is quite obvious that he put his heart and soul into the character. Martha Scott,(Hope Morris Spence),"Ben Hur",'59, was a great sexy actress in her career and certainly played an entirely different role as William Spence's wife. Hope Morris did everything her husband wished and sometimes I think she bit her tongue having to think about a church in Iowa. Gene Lockhart,(Preston Thurston),"Red light",'49, was a great character actor, who had a daughter June Lockhart, who played in the "Lassie",TV Series. Preston Thurston, played a very stuffy banker who objected to everything the preacher tried to accomplish. Harry Davenport,(Ellias Samson),"The Farmer's Daughter",'47, gave a great supporting role and offered the preacher a simply cup of tea which changed the story completely around. There are lots of good old time gospel songs like, "The Church Has One Foundation" which certainly helped America win the War over Japan & Germany during those horrible years which faced this great Nation Under GOD.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest feel-good movies of all time!
orsonwelles-194126 February 2002
This enduring classic is one of those films you can start at 12 midnight and watch all the way through without dozing off for a second. There are no dazzling special effects, no edge-of-your seat car chases or mid-air rescues.However,its engaging procession of honest scenes depicting the often overwhelming, though eventually rewarding, trials of a man of God during the first half of the twentieth century rival the greatest of superficial,high-tech thrills today's blockbusters have to offer. From the early scenes of Mrs.Spence trying valiantly to adjust to the squalor of her parsonages to Dr.Spence's creative solution to the adult choir's intolerable dissonance this film is a radiant beacon in a bleak world bereft with terrorism, wars, and rumors of wars due to its straightforward, heartfelt depiction of faith under fire. Though obviously filled with references to Methodist doctrine the film does not alienate members of other denominations and even nonbelievers can see this as an excellent example of how old-fashioned values triumph over hypocrisy and ignorance in turbulent times. Unfortunately, this movie is unbelievably rare and only pops up on TCM once in a blue moon. I
See it
sunking6 May 1999
I'm not a particularly religious person, but this movie is about a lot more than that. The film is based on a book writen by the preacher's son. The film is a biography of the Preacher's years as a preacher. Seeing the sacrifices the preacher makes really touched me, since it seems so real and believable. The movie has a quite a few twists, and a few surprises too.
So Wonderful...Why Can't We Have More Movies Like This
janet_harrison624 May 2005
I have never cried.So hard what a wonderful movie. Gentle, warm and most, of all a movie to tell a side about family, friends, the terrible War. Also about just having faith. At that time during the Great Depression and WW2,it is about sticking together and saying prayers. Sunday was family time, church and Sunday dinners. It also meant that there were no stores open, nothing...everyone understood about the Sunday day of rest. I just wished that the world would just step back, and go back to a time of real.love. Can they make an updated remake of this film. I would just love to see it for the holidays, or at Easter. It can be role model for many of the film industry who should take the suggestion of what the public would like to see. Thank you.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great
JEFFNJOVINA22 March 2004
I enjoyed this movie even though I am a Southern Baptist. I think that it proves that no matter where you go in life as long as you believe in the lord you will succeed. I loved the part where he got mad about the roof and it's total 20 leaks. I think that showing what gossiper will do in order to get rid of a person is also shown in this film. I also cheered when William confronted the Choir ladies about the lie she had spread about his son, also the trouble youth have in this country because of no safe place to go for enjoyment or teen meetings. I think they should consider a remake for modern daytime. All together a wonderful film and I hope it gets repeated on the Turner Classic Channel.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this