IMDb > The Lady Eve (1941) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Lady

Author: stephypoo912 from United States
10 May 2013

This film amazed me! I had no clue what it were to be about and I sat and watched this movie to the end, it was so good. What made me like it more was that I had not the slightest idea what it was about. Catching this movie on Turner Classic Movies and sitting and watching the film was astonishing. I like the fact that this movie was based on a female main character this time. She played the role well as a Femme Fatale. The no color in this film didn't mean much to someone who was already lost in the comedy and extreme humor of the film. This is definitely a film to sit and watch with sisters and just discuss the film in it's entirety.

Great Acting!

Author: oliviadoerrer17 from United States
10 May 2013

"The Lady Eve" personally was one of my favorite movies from the 1940s, its really believable cast members made the movie for me. I felt the sincereness in the characters throughout the movie, the two main characters showed a connection and Jean had a very funny personality that was portrayed in the movie. I also was very fond of the music played throughout the movie, it was very flowing and set the tone for certain scenes. There was also i quote I happened to catch that I really liked, "I fell in love with you, which wasn't in the cards." This particular quote said my Jean is ironic because her and her dad were scam artists in taking peoples money through card game playing. Overall "The Lady Eve" definitely had a great and well thought out storyline and had a message I thought to be was, whats meant to be is meant to be. This is referring the relationship Jean had with Charles.

"The Lady Eve"

Author: kylebristol12 from United States
15 March 2013

Preston Sturges' "The Lady Eve" is a screwball comedy, although it is a bit more screwball than it is comedy. There are very funny parts, such as when Barbara Stanwyck's character watches Henry Fonda's character in her hand-held mirror and provides a improvised narration of the people she sees. Although not as funny or heart-felt as Gregory La Cava's "My Man Godfrey", "The Lady Eve" is a very good film with intricate sets and two strong lead performances. In the early scenes, Stanwyck succeeds at creating a character that the audience both contempt and sympathize with. Also, there is a long shot in which Stanwyck's character seduces Fonda's that contains some of the film's best dialogue.

Love wasn't in the cards

Author: uziesuzie from United States
15 March 2013

After having just seen LaCava's "My Man Godfrey" this film couldn't compare. Some parts i found funny, but it had a much stronger romance feel to it than a screwball comedy. Maybe this was because the film came out in 1941, towards the end of the screwball comedy era. The camera moves so smoothly along with the the characters. I noticed there when a lot more long takes then cuts. There are even some nice subtle zoom in's. There's a great shot at the beginning of the Pike family party. The camera slowly pans down out from the tree tops to the car which holds the Lady Eve. Sturges takes a step back in filming history with the scenes preparing for Charles and the Lady Eve's wedding. It reminded me of the silent era of films. There was no dialog only non diegetic music that amplified what was going on on screen and the film seed was unnaturally fast. The intro credit cartoon was very clever and fun.

Didn't feel quite right, but still great

Author: Tyler Yonkers from United States
13 March 2013

The Lady Eve is considered to be a screwball comedy, and although it certainly is, it didn't feel like it was entirely to me. More of the movie felt like it was on a more serious note for most of the movie when compared to other screwball comedies, at least as serious as a screwball comedy can go. The film was still full of excellent comedic elements and scenes, while having an excellent storyline that felt very gripping. One of the elements in particular that i found interesting is how quick Jean, the con man's daughter, actually fell in love with Charles. Although it doesn't feel like what a screwball comedy should be to me, The Lady Eve is still an excellent film, full of great humor and an excellent storyline.

Emotional roller-coaster

Author: RoseXGold from United States
13 March 2013

I found this movie to be very good. It had great use of lighting. The concept was great. The costumes were great. The flow of the entire movie was so intriguing. The movie gave me the ability to feel like I was right there interacting with the actors throughout each scene. Although "Jean" played the role of the antagonist her character was very "attention grabbing". The role she depicted was powerful, head strong, confident in her wants and her abilities to obtain them. Although she had many of these great characteristic she showed her true colors threw her many schemes that often backfired. I loved how this love story had its twist on the game of love.

All About the Three Faces of the Lady Eve....

Author: mark.waltz from United States
8 January 2013

And Boy, Did She Know Her Apples! In fact, she uses one to clunk her victim (Henry Fonda) on the noggin, and while a cartoon lump doesn't grow, you will feel one in your chest-from laughing! Fonda plays a shy explorer who stops a cruise ship to board it like he was catching the A train uptown. Barbara Stanwyck is the title character, a shady lady with a card shark father (Charles Coburn) who plans to fleece the wealthy Fonda at cards, but doesn't count on Fonda being a bit of a card shark (or at least lucky) himself. Of course, Stanwyck and Fonda fall in love, but Fonda's suspicious associate (the grumpy William Demarest) gets the goods on the father/daughter team, and spills the beans. To get even, Stanwyck disguises herself as a titled English lady (the "niece" of Fonda's father's pal Eric Blore) who becomes a guest at their palatial estate and there comes the second face of Eve. Like Garbo in the same year's "Two Faced Woman", Stanwyck turns her single character into two totally different ones, but unlike Garbo, Stanwyck had much better luck, the results being a screwball comedy that is proof when comedy is done to perfection, it can be just as influential as "Citizen Kane".

1941 was Stanwyck's best year in films-two with Fonda and two with Gary Cooper. Three of them have become classics, and this one is the film if she had been nominated for it (rather than the fun but slightly less memorable "Ball of Fire"), she would have had a better chance in winning. This is Stanwyck at her sexiest, funniest and loveliest, and for those who only know her for her film noir roles, women's pictures and later westerns, they will find her a total natural surprise. Fonda will surprise you after his "Grapes of Wrath" dramatic performance with a serious of pratfalls (falling all over the place each time he sees Stanwyck) that Dick Van Dyke would be proud of. Coburn is brilliant as her father, although the plot takes him out of most of the second half. Eugene Palette takes over his reign, stealing every moment as Fonda's eccentric father.

Edith Head truly gives good wardrobe, as each gown she creates for Stanwyck just gets lovelier and lovelier with each scene. A picture perfect screenplay by the film's director (Preston Sturges) is just the right touch, and proves that a true artist who writes so brilliantly should probably be at the helm in the director's chair.

very subtly funny film.

Author: alwaysdubbin91 from upstate New York
1 November 2012

this film is very funny if you are really paying attention to the conversations, if not you could very well miss all of the comedic dialog. the main character named Charles played by Henry Fonda is a sometimes a bit awkward, but very wealthy explorer and a target for a group of professional gamblers, but this get interesting when he falls in love with the gamblers charming and beautiful daughter played by Barbara Stanwyck, then breaks up and gets together with another girl who turns out to be the same one from before. i wont tell too much more, but it is a pretty good film overall, definitely worth a watch, maybe not worthy of any awards, but a very sweet movie.

A nice film

Author: ylimevol from United States
15 October 2012

This film is about people taking advantage of other people. Even if she feels bad and tricks him into forgiving her. I think this is a crazy unrealistic plot. She tricks him into marrying her to convince him to divorce and then marry her. I don't know why there has to be the snake part, except to solidify that they're not right for each other since he is going to spend his life around snakes and gross stuff and the girl he's into should be acutely interested in it. At least be able to be in the same room. Can people not recognize other people when they talk a little differently? That aspect of the plot is just plain crazy. This film is fun, sure but in no way a good look at real love, or comedy, or good writing. Just sort-of entertaining.

Good movie

Author: kendraocon from United States
4 October 2012

I think that this movie used great techniques and sounds to help show the emotion between the characters. I think the music was great, the tone changed as the characters acted in certain scenes. The sound of the steamboat horn was underneath the people's voices, as you could still hear it, but it wasn't the first thing you heard. The corners of the screen show to be a vignette, where they are out of focus in the corners. They cut scenes as she came running from the room to the hallway to the staircase all the way to the other end of the staircase into the main room. The camera is shown to be in front of her showing her rush towards the camera, giving us that full screen perspective. They do not crop her body at all and you can tell that she is running at some what of a distance. I think if it was cropped or even shown at a different angle then it would not give the same point, as it does now.There were a few sounds that did sound like they were added in, such as the chatter of the people in the restaurant. I think it doesn't sound as real and I think you wouldn't be able to hear the main characters as much if it wasn't added in after the fact.

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]