IMDb > The Lady Eve (1941) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Perfect Con...

Author: Vaughn Thompson from United States
11 May 2012

This film did have a wonderful cast. I have grown quite fond of Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck in resent years. As great as these two are, (Except maybe Fonda's corny love-sick acting.) the real star of the show is the story. I guess that's why I like most screwball comedies. This one certainly doesn't disappoint. It may have been a little too predictable, but I would attribute that mostly to the times. We needed to see Jean as this evil, conniving leach only to fall head over heals for Charles. How else would they fight?

It really is a funny movie and I would suggest it to anyone that loves those dopey love-scheme plots.

Awesome Film!!!

Author: danburyn from United States
5 May 2012

One of my favorite films of the forties and, I believe, one of Barbara Stanwyck's best. Fonda also gets a chance to show some comedic chops as well as the foil for her Eve. It's apparent everyone involved knows they're in something good and enjoys it - Eugene Palette as Fonda's wealthy Father, William Demarest(think Uncle Charlie in My Three Sons)in one of his best supporting roles as Fonda's crusty valet, and Charles Coburn and Eric Blore doing brilliant comic character turns as card sharks on Eve's side. the film was quite well made though in some shots the composition, lighting, and editing seem off. it seem to shift fast between frames making the film loses focus. Over all this movie made me laugh and is a great movie to watch!

Funny movie, a little slow

Author: NOXiFy from United States
26 February 2012

This film was definitely a funny film, and being a screwball comedy it was expected what would happen. What the film lacked in my opinion was a more interesting plot, screwballs such as "My Man Godfrey (1936)" have an interesting and developed plot. This movie was great; it just didn't match up to other screwball comedies I've seen. As far as the quality of the film goes, the photography was excellent and a clear picture was present the entire time. The sound was on par as well, nothing outstanding but it was enjoyable and you can clearly hear the characters. Overall It's a great movie; it just needed a more interesting plot in my honest opinion.

I rated the movie a 6 out of 10 because it was visually great as well as providing great audio, it only lacked a more interesting plot; however, you may feel otherwise! It's worth a watch for sure, so if you haven't seen it, start watching it and see if it will interest you!

playing the cards

Author: JoelGrennon from United States
15 February 2012

This movie seamed to flow extremely well in my perspective. Compared to others, the smoothness of the camera movement when filming longer shots seamed to be right on key. It also seamed to have a lot more movement with the camera rather than having it sit still with one background. The over all tempo of the movie seamed to be a bit slower than most black and white films and i actually enjoyed that. It made it a bit easier to follow. I think the only thing I didn't enjoy was the scene on the boat when Lady Eve realizes the man has a snake. Her voice was so high pitched and ear piercing when she screamed the only thing I could think of was how the audience would of reacted when viewing this in a theater.

Quite enjoyable.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 May 2009

Romantic-comedies such as this movies flourished in the '40's and even though they are basically all much alike, they are still quite enjoyable to watch all, due to their simplistic and fun nature and the fact that there were often some great directors and big name actors involved.

The screwball genre isn't really my favorite and I also wouldn't exactly rank this movie among my favorites but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a movie like this one. I had seen some Preston Sturges screwball movies before, that are widely being regarded as classics and I must admit that I wasn't too greatly impressed with any of these movies. I must say that this movie is actually one I did liked much better for some reason though. It's definitely the best Preston Sturges movie I've seen so far.

Perhaps it are the movie its settings, perhaps it are the movie its actors. Who knows. But the movie does definitely entertain better than most other genre movies did. Still I feel that the movie with some more clever written could had been a far funnier one. The movie could had used some more comical moments, involving mistaken identity for instance. The movie didn't had enough laughs in it for my taste and the movie its comedy relies more on its dialog and performances by the actors, rather than its writing.

Luckily the movie does have some great actors in it though. Henry Fonda of course wasn't best known for his comedy roles but that is perhaps what makes him so perfect for his role in this movie. Barbara Stanwyck is truly excellent as well and to me was the heart and soul of this entire movie.

I enjoyed it more than any other Preston Sturges movie,

Great chemistry between the two leads,but disappointing plot.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
4 February 2014

Henry Fonda never fails to charm.He had that certain something that compelled folks to watch and whether it be comedy,drama,suspense,or whatever else,he could do it all.Barbara Stanwyck never failed to wow!She was very easy on the eyes,and her range was just as wide.Seeing the two paired as an on screen couple was a delight.All of that being said,I had a slight problem with this film's plot.Ms. Stanwyck meets and wins the heart of Fonda's character to the point that they are engaged to be married.Suddenly it all falls apart,and it's over.He later meets her under a different ruse and he buys it when she says that they haven't met before? If he were that in love with her before,he would have known it was her,looking at it realistically.I give the film high marks for the natural chemistry between the two leads,but deduct points for it's disappointing plot.

just because something is old doesn't make it great...

Author: dbistolaridis from United States
3 October 2012

I have to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be a comedy...but were people dumb back in 1941? I seriously doubt it. In order for the story's main premise to work Henry Fonda's character (as well as some others) have to be very very stupid, or Barbara Stanwyck has to be an amazing espionage style secret agent type...which she doesn't seem like she is. In other words, some serious disbelief has to be suspended. Maybe people were a lot easier on their expectations back then, before special effects and ultra realism took place? It doesn't translate well to today, especially when considering Barbara Stanwyck's efforts to entrap Henry Fonda. As adorable as he is in his sharp little sport coats he does not seem like the type who would attract a really sexy and intelligent woman.

I will say that it is worth watching, there are a couple lame chuckles, and it is well acted by both Stanwyck and Fonda. I am truly stuck between a 6-7. Another thing that does not stand up is Henry Fonda's reactions to some crazy stories Barbara Stanwyck tells him about her past. The modern viewer cannot help but ask him/herself "why him?"

Not an exciting movie

Author: r-ragbeer from United States
26 September 2012

This film did not keep my attention, it was funny but in a silent film sense. The roles of the actors were silly and not very entertaining, it did have a few funny scenes where genuine laughter came but other than those few scenes nothing really stood out that would make it a amazing film. the quality of the film was pretty good other than some scenes where there was a few black dots on the screen. The main male character came off as being brilliant but naive when it comes to everyday social parts of life which gives the impression that he can be easily tricked into doing something which is what essentially happens in the end of the movie.

A charmer of a movie

Author: pontifikator from United States
14 May 2011

This is a charmer of a movie with a gorgeous Henry Fonda and a beautiful Barbara Stanwyck, directed by the famous Preston Sturges. Charles Coburn and William Demarest have important supporting roles.

If you never saw Fonda and Stanwyck when they were young and in a Sturges comedy, you're in for a surprise and a treat. Henry Fonda is absolutely adorable in the role of a naive snake specialist. Stanwyck is sunny as the snake charmer. (Eve - get it? Well, her character's name isn't Eve in the movie, but she pretends to be Lady Eve to swindle Henry.)

Fonda plays Charles Pike, heir to a beer fortune, and Stanwyck plays Jean Harrington, a con artist on a cruise ship with her con man father (Coburn). Their goal is to land and fleece a sheep. Of course, Stanwyck makes the mistake of falling for her mark, so things go horribly right after many pratfalls and lies.

Preston Sturges wrote the script, and he was at his top in "The Lady Eve." The studio system was at its best as well, calling up a marvelous cast of character actors in the background. There's all the boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl standard action, but Sturges had a brain, and he was said to have written the script in Reno while getting a divorce - so he had some bite in the script, too. Everyone has perfect timing, all the marks are hit, there are no false notes, and even the horse is perfect. It's a fantastic screwball comedy.

If your memories of Fonda and Stanwyck are from their roles in the 50s, 60s, and later, you're in for a real treat seeing them in this comedy.

A Fine Case of Cat Chasing Mouse

Author: gavin6942 from United States
21 February 2010

Charles Pike (Henry Fonda), heir to the Pike's Pale Ale fortune, is pursued by Jean Harrington (Barbara Stanwyck), the daughter of a card sharp and a pretty good swindler herself. But, wouldn't you know, she makes the mistake of falling in love with the man. How can she snare a man she hasn't been honest with?

This film had me falling in love with Barbara Stanwyck. While not the most beautiful woman, she has a charm about her that is very alluring, which made her the perfect casting choice for Eve. The rumor she was wanted for the part of Scarlett O'Hara is not surprising, and I daresay that would have been a good choice.

The story is fairly simple, but enjoyable. Charles Pike is a likable man, from the very first scene, but very dull. Whoever wrote the script gave him some really stupid lines, but they seem more fitting when we realize how "backwards" he is. While a brilliant scientist, he doesn't really have any common sense or smarts about the world.

Of the screwball comedies and romantic comedies I've seen, this was one of the ones I enjoyed most. I enjoyed it much more than the highly respected "Philadelphia Story", for example. If you have a chance to catch this one on Turner Classic Movies, please watch it.

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]