IMDb > Jungle Cavalcade (1941) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jungle Cavalcade More at IMDbPro »

Wonderful film about life in the jungle and how Frank Buck collected it for zoos and other institutions.

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
12 July 2010

One of the documentaries about animal collector Frank Buck, who's "bring 'em back alive" motto is still well known. This film really surprised me since I was not really prepared for it to be such a great little film.

This is a neat little film about Buck going off into the jungle and capturing snakes and tigers and monkeys and other things. Its a film that more or less takes you from the journey into the jungle through the setting up of non lethal traps, through the process of collecting onward and includes comments about where the animals actually ended up. Its a super film that really shows us how things were done back in the 30's and 40's while it also shows us some really incredible images of animals in the wild (The snake big cat fight is great).

A magnificent film that is really one of my finds of the year.

"The jungle's not a bad place to work, except in spots."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
18 March 2016

I'm surprised there's only a couple other reviews for this picture here as I write this. The film is actually a compilation of scenes from three previous Frank Buck films; funny, but you never hear his name or that of Clyde Beatty any more, the two most famous animal trappers of all time. This documentary style film is narrated by Buck with the benefit of hindsight during most of the segments, since the movies they were culled from were made in the early and mid-Thirties.

A lot of the scenes presented here are really rather intriguing, particularly the ones in which wild animals square off against each other. There's a tiger vs. black leopard draw, followed quickly by a scenario in which the same (?) black leopard tussles a huge python and is crushed in the effort. It's really rather gruesome when you think about it, maybe not the best thing for young kids to watch.

The trapping methods Buck utilizes range from the mundane to quite ingenious, and it surprised me that the man didn't use any protective gear of any kind, not even gloves. So when another python grabs his arm unexpectedly he winds up the next couple of hours pulling it's teeth out. One particularly humorous capture involved his running after and tackling a baby elephant, a mere two hundred pound infant that four Malay natives had to carry back to their camp in a sling.

Probably the most innovative capture involved setting a large net trap on the ground for a black leopard, attached to the top of a tree that was bowed nearly halfway down it's length and secured by a rope. When the animal went after a chicken used for bait, the camouflaged net was triggered by cutting the rope and the leopard was left upended. Following most of the captures, the animal was hustled inside a cage, ready for transport to one of the many zoos in America that commissioned Buck for his prize animals.

All in all this is really a fascinating look at a man who made his living for a solid decade risking his life to secure wild animals for zoos and circuses around the world. He sums up his mission with a thoughtful slogan emphasizing his respect for all of nature - 'Be Prepared, Be Resourceful, and Be Gone'.

OK

Author: Xomby from USA
7 May 1999

I saw this a long time ago on A&E when I was about 6 or so. I kind of liked it, especially the snake and tiger battle and the part where the monkeys the hunters trapped got their hands stuck in coconuts but wouldn't let go of the food inside, so they were stuck! The elephants were cool too. But I don't think anyone but me has actually seen this in 50 or so years, really...it was pretty good, I guess.