Mr. Bug Goes to Town (1941) Poster

Unjustly neglected classic
TheLittleSongbird2 September 2016
After seeing 'Hoppity Goes to Town' for the first time a couple of days ago, it really stuck with me. Fleischer has done a lot of fantastic stuff, and 'Hoppity Goes to Town' is among their better and most under-appreciated efforts. Anybody who loves 'Gulliver's Travels' (count me as one) will love this.

It is a shame that it was relatively forgotten, but very fondly remembered by those who loved it as a child. 'Hoppity Goes to Town', to a young adult who saw it for the first time on recommendation, has been one of my biggest pleasures recently and one of my best first time viewings in a long time. The animation is really wonderful, with lots of luscious colour, haunting but also dream-like atmosphere, imaginative and incredibly detailed backgrounds and beautiful drawing. The three-dimensional visuals are put to inventive and jaw-dropping effect.

The music score is delightfully whimsical and rousing, while the songs are truly lovely and just as memorable as the ones in 'Gulliver's Travels'. The script has humour and pathos, without overdoing the comedy or dissolving into cheesiness and it is often very sweet, moving and heart-warming without falling into maudlin sentiment. Somewhat agree that the breaking into verse was not always necessary but it didn't really bother me.

With the story, it is simple but incredibly charming and really warms the heart and uplifts and touches the viewer. The pacing is deliberate, especially in the first part, but never to interminable dullness, and the final act was pretty exciting. The characters are nicely done, with a very likable protagonist and a main villain that both intimidates and entertains. The voice acting is good too, with the always dependable Jack Mercer enjoying himself in particular.

Overall, an animated classic that despite being fondly remembered is unjustly neglected. 10/10 Bethany Cox
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mainly for a select audience
Wizard-85 July 2015
The box office failure of the Fleischer brothers' second (and last) feature length animated movie has been blamed to the fact that the movie was released at the time when the United States entered World War Two. However, I think it wouldn't have done much better had it been released at another time. I will give kudos to the movie for being the first animated movie to be based on an original story. However, the story and the characters are extremely weak. The story is weak, very padded out despite its short running time. The main character of Hoppity is thin, like there being no explanation as to why Hoppity was away from town for a long time.

However, despite the weak script, I do think there are some people who will enjoy the movie. Obviously, kids with their love of animation will gobble this up. And adults who have an interest in animation will find the movie has some amazing animation, particularly the excitingly executed climatic sequence. One has to wonder what the Fleischers could have accomplished had they spent as much time polishing the script as Disney did with the scripts for his animated movies.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I warn you, you're walking right into trouble."
classicsoncall28 June 2015
I chalk it up to a stroke of luck that I caught this movie on Turner Classics the other day, it's a charming period piece from 1941 set in it's own era rather than a formulaic or mythical 'once upon a time'. Scenes alternate between a bustling big city neighborhood and that of a rural Buggsville where the principal characters are faced with a decision to move before their homes are destroyed by the looming threat of major construction by the 'human ones'. Leading the lowland bugs is a recently returned home grasshopper by the name of Hoppity, with an eye for the cute Miss Honey Bee, their match a seeming natural but for the calculating duplicity of C. Bagley Beetle, the insect version of the evil town boss of so many B Western movies.

I couldn't help but notice the similarity between the Hoppity character and the one created by Walt Disney, so a quick search reveals that Jiminy Cricket made his first appearance in the 1940 Disney film "Pinocchio". With 'Mr. Bug' released the following year, I'd presume there might have been some borrowing of ideas from the original here, though I don't know that for a fact. Still, there are enough creative elements in the picture to take delight in, particularly the inventive names of the insect characters, like Swat the Fly, and Smack the Mosquito, a couple of bumbling henchmen for the sneaky Beetle character. I think my favorite might have been Mrs. Stinkbug and all the little Stinkers, only mentioned once in passing but striking a whimsical chord for this viewer.

Told primarily from a bug's point of view, the picture is delightfully colorful and with a rich attention to detail. I was particularly impressed by one scene during the construction of the high rise when the film artists actually depicted sawdust wafting off a piece of wood being cut to size. Keeping in mind that the picture was made over seventy years ago, that kind of workmanship alone makes the movie worth seeing. Definitely recommended for a family viewing experience.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Oh, Hoppity, you make everything so complicated."
utgard1426 June 2015
Long before A Bug's Life or Antz there was Mr. Bug Goes to Town, a charming but flawed animated film from Dave and Max Fleischer. I'm a big fan of the Fleischers' work. Their Superman, Popeye, and Betty Boop cartoons are some of my favorites. Their first foray into full-length animation was 1939's Gulliver's Travels, which has its share of detractors but I like it a lot. I don't like Mr. Bug quite as much but it is worth a look. The story follows a community of bugs that live in a vacant lot. One bug in particular, Hoppity the grasshopper, is at the heart of most of the goings-on in this somewhat rambling story that eventually becomes about the bugs trying to save their home and Hoppity's girlfriend being forced to marry a villainous beetle.

The animation is beautiful and charming but I found something off with this one. The voicework and music score are pedestrian and the general tone of the movie is a little flat. I'm not really sure if I can put my finger on it but the first forty-five minutes or so feels slow and aimless. It's lovely to look at throughout but the last half hour is the most exciting. Despite its flaws this is an enjoyable animated film that plays well to little kids, as well as adults who appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making quality animation back in the day. Unfortunately Mr. Bug was a financial disaster for the Fleischers and led to the brothers being ousted from their own studio, which was renamed Famous Studios by Paramount. Part of the reason for it flopping was undoubtedly its bad luck of being released two days before the attack on Pearl Harbor. It's an interesting movie, especially for animation buffs, and I do believe it will entertain the right audience. See it for the lovely animation if nothing else.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kind of dull kids movie
Wow, every single use review on this site is a rave! I have to conclude that this is a movie all these people first saw as children and have fond memories of.

As an adult who watched this because of its historical significance, I found it often tedious. There were clever ideas here and there, notably in the bugs' interaction with the human world, and a vaguely exciting finale, and some good songs, but it's very corny and very predictable and very much for kids only.

It's a shame the Fleischer Brothers never made a feature with the surreal imagination of their shorter works. They never did Disney as well as Disney did, and one wonders what would have happened if they'd made a Betty Boop movie instead of this and Gulliver's Travels.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Katy DID!
zunitrail-11 January 2010
Wow. I saw this movie and "Up" on the same day within an hour of each other at different theaters. I saw "Mr Bug" first, and was then totally disappointed in "Up"'s follow-up. What a beautiful and touching film! Movies of the 1930s and 40s to us nowadays can be irking with their melodramatic acting and dialog, but as animation the same melodrama and groaning humor can be wonderful. And the soft "organic" lines of 30s drawing AND the music just puts you in a nice comfortable mood and you can enjoy the show with all its little characters: ladybugs, grasshoppers, bees, snails, stinkbugs, flies, mosquitoes, beetles, crickets, and more each with all their own cute little (but not overbearing) idiosyncrasies. The interaction with the human world, from nemesis (cigar smokers, high-heel wearers, innocent kick-the-can playing kids) to the kind-hearted, and to the unknown destroyers, is realistic and fascinating. You care for the bugs, AND Dick and Mary. The protagonist Hoppity is not some perfect superman who comes to "set things right" but a starry-eyed optimist who leads everyone down the garden path (literally!), and every time you think it's going to end happily in 1930s style, along comes another roadblock...! I was on the edge of my seat much more than with "Up." I walked out of the movie theater grinning and chuckling: something that hasn't happened in a long long long long time!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bugs You Really Care About!
ccthemovieman-110 February 2009
What I liked best about this feature-length animated film from 1941 is the great feel it gives for the early 1940s. It's the songs, the clothing, automobiles, buildings lingo of the day, etc. You feel like you've stepped back into time.

From reading some of the reviews here, I see this was a hard-luck film, being released a couple of days before the Pearl Harbor attack. Wow, no one would be interested in going to the movies for a feature-length cartoon during those eventful and shocking days, I'm sure. Too bad, because the folks missed some nice animation would have really impressed back then, almost 70 years ago. The colors are nice, drawings are good and story involving as we root for the bugs led by "Hoppity" and and his beautiful girl "Honey" to make it happily-ever-after and out of harm's way. It's also about all of them finding a grassy spot they can live and not worry about humans trampling them.

There is a nasty villain, though - "C. Bagley Beetle" - and two of his henchmen. Those helpers ("Swat, The Fly" and "Smack, the Mosquito") are comedians, complete with their Brooklyn-ese accents! The story is a familiar one where a nasty old man wants to marry the sweet young thing and uses unscrupulous means to force her hand. The good guy, meanwhile, has the decked stacked against him but in the very end, of course, prevails.

My favorite part - this will sound worse than what it was - was when good-guy "Hoppity" got temporarily electrocuted and he danced in black-and-white. That was fantastic animation!

You know, it's a good thing I didn't see this as a very little kid; I would have been afraid to play outside and squash all those nice bug-people! You never know what (or who) is in that grass beneath your feet!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Accomplished animated film, unfairly forgotten.
Jonathon Dabell16 January 2009
While Disney have been THE animation studio for the past 70 years, there have always been rivals to their supremacy. When this review was written in 2009, for example, companies like Dreamworks and (to a lesser extent) Warner Brothers and Ardman, were bringing out animated movies that could be said to challenge the Disney dominance. Back in the beginning, in that late '30s and early '40s heyday when Disney was serving cinematic banquets like Snow White, Dumbo and Fantasia, the competition was provided by brothers Dave and Max Fleischer. Despite releasing two very commendable films, they never quite cornered the market – many attribute their downfall to the commercial failure of Mr Bug Goes To Town, released the same week as the attack on Pearl Harbour (which gave the American public something more significant to think about than going to the cinema to watch a cartoon!) That this film has faded into relative obscurity is a travesty.

In a patch of overgrown garden in the city a bunch of bugs are in dire danger. Humans use the land as a shortcut, discarding litter and cigars, and other hazards, right on top of the bugs' homes as they go. Honey-shop owner Mr Bumble (voiced by Jack Mercer) fears that the future is bleak, and wonders how he will ever be able to raise his daughter Honey (voiced by Pauline Loth) in more secure surroundings. A highly unscrupulous creature, Bagley C. Beetle (voiced by Tedd Pierce), offers to provide her a safer place to live if she will accept his hand in marriage, but Honey is much more interested in her childhood sweetheart, the perennially cheerful and optimistic Hoppity (voiced by Stan Freed). Hoppity believes that everything is about to be resolved for the better, but is left looking foolish when Bagley Beetle and his pair of comical sidekicks manipulate the crisis to their own devious end. Only at the very end, as their patch becomes the foundation for a huge new skyscraper, do the bugs switch loyalty back to Hoppity as they look to him to lead them a new, safe home away from the destructive influence of humans.

What really works in this film is the delightful characterisation – all the bugs are cleverly developed and designed for maximum audience appeal. The bumbling villains Swat the fly and Smack the mosquito (hilarious names, if you stop to think about it) are particularly memorable. Equally admirable is the storytelling drive – even the youngest of children can enjoy this story, while at the same time it skillfully conveys a message for older audiences about the way human carelessness can impact upon the survival of wildlife. Time has inevitably dated some aspects of the film, and when viewing it the audience needs to accept (and forgive) these occasional signs of general age and wear. But on the whole Mr Bug Goes To Town is an accomplished, funny and very slickly presented animation with a worthy message to boot.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another wonderful film from the Fleischer Bros.
Normally I am a typical "creepy-crawly-hatin'" girl, but after watching this film (on YouTube of course), I'm having different perspectives. And also I did not know that my favorite animation studio Fleischer's had made another feature film.

The film's story is about community of insects whose city garden home is threatened by humans (lighted cigars and cigarette butts, footsteps, etc..), and how a plucky young grasshopper named Hoppity saves the day and wins the heart of Honey the bee; I love the lovely Ms. Honey. You know, after watching the film, the bugs reminded me of the some of the "jitterbugs" from Don Bulth's Thumbelina. And out of the songs in the film, I love "We're a Couple in The Castle;" when I sing that song, it almost made me cry.

This wonderful film was the second (and last) feature film to come out of the Fleischer studio. The film was originally going to be released in November of 1941, but since the Fleischer's rival, Disney, released Dumbo weeks earlier, Paramount has changed the date to December of the same year, but Mr. Bug unfortunately went into an unrealized trap of terrible timing which was opened two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

After that, Mr. Bug was a financial disaster and led to the ousting of Max and Dave Fleischer, from the studio they had established in 1919, and reorganized the company as Famous Studios. Another huge factor in their departure was the fact that Max and Dave Fleischer were no longer speaking to one another due to disputes...how sad it was. Overall I love both films from the Fleischer's - Gulliver and Mr. Bug.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its not pixar
petersj-26 August 2008
There was a time when not all animation was Disney or Pixar. Its so nice to see this wonderful film again and I actually got hold of a good, reasonable copy on DVD. Be careful as its out of the public domain and there are some really bad copies around.I got a very good copy by a company called Flashbacks and its quite good. In the old days I watched it on black and white on TV and its magic to see it in colour. Very much better than some would have you believe. The songs are delightful and the colour is great. Interestingly the characters are really well developed which is odd in animated movies. I loved Hoppity and the villain Mr Beatle is a real cad. Its incredibly imaginative. The way inanimate objects like cotton reels, old tins become part of the environment and have new functions is great. The anthropomorhic use of insects is amazing considering the much malinged creatures most people sadly think are repugnant. Hopefully we may never step on an insect again! THe insects enemy is man. In reality of course its the insects that will survive. No matter how hard we try to rid ourselves of ants here in Australia they keep coming back. The battle has been lost and we have to live with them. There are several scenes that stand out such as when Hoppity and Mr Bumble are caught in a watering can, the great flood and the journey to the top of the building are all wonderful. Its also rather anthropomorphic but in a way thats charming. The human characters look very like the ones in Gulliver and its incredibly effective. The wedding scene looks beautiful. Its a crime this movie has not been hailed as a classic. The only jarring note for me is the occasions in the film when the characters slip into verse. Speaking verse spoils the narration and it was no needed, The verse is awful and spoils an other wise good script. Its great and kids will love it. Its a joy to look at. There's a very clever ending too.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In This Case DO Bug Me
writers_reign22 February 2008
This is a very modest, very lovely movie with a great score by Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesser with a standout number, We're The Couple In The Castle, that is totally evocative of the period and harks back to Penthouse Serenade just as the opening premise (Hoppity's coming) may well have inspired Fred Saidy and Yip Harburg's opening (Woody's Coming) in Finian's Rainbow six years later. I totally agree with those posters who have noted that were the name Disney appended to this it would by now have achieved 'classic' status rather than have fallen into neglect. It's wonderfully inventive, never more so than when objects barely noticed in the 'real' world assume a much greater significance - both pro and con - in the insect world. Actually it IS a classic, albeit a minor one.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Lovely Piece of Childhood Revisited
ed_two_o_nine24 December 2007
Hoppity is a charming if slightly phycadelic animated movie that considering it was made in the 1941 has stood the test of time incredibly well. Now I have to admit I have a soft spot for 'HoppityGoes To Town' (as it is called in the United Kingdom) having watched a VHS version taped of the TV by our parents many times with my siblings.Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning just in time to catch it on Channel Four (at 0615 never the less!) The film was just as delightful as I remembered it with the animation standing the test of time and a lovely moral tale which should appeal to parents and children alike. Maybe one day I to shall share this forgotten classic with children of my own. With a nice running time for kids (88 Min's)and a simple yet involving storyline there really is something for everyone in this tale of the little guy coming good. I really could see this being successfully remade in CGI. Take note Pixar.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fleischer Studios Last Major Hurrah Enchanting
pinkylacy192915 June 2007
"Mr. Bug Goes To Town" was the last major achievement the Fleischer studios produced. The quality of the Superman series produced at the same time is evident in this extraordinary film.

The music and lyrics by Frank Loesser and Hoagy Carmichael (with assistance by Flieshcer veteran Sammy Timberg are quite good, but not as much as the scoring of the picture by Leigh Harline who also scored Snow White for Disney. Harline's "atmospheric music" is superb, and a treat for the ears.

The layout and staging of the picture was years ahead of it's time, and once again the Fleischer's background artists outdid themselves. The techincolored beauty of the film cannot be denied, and while Hoppity the grasshopper is the star, the characters of Swat the Fly and Smack the Mosquito steal the picture. Swat's voicing by Jack Mercer (of Popeye fame) is priceless. Kenny Gardner (brother-in-law) of Guy Lombardo...and a featured vocalist in his band...does his usual pleasant job in the role of Dick Dickinsen.

The movie has been criticized for all the wrong reasons. The Fleischer Studios were animation experts par excellence and this shows very clearly in the finished product. The movie is tuneful, the story great for all ages, and the final scenes of the bugs scrambling for their lives upon a rising skyscraper is some of the best staging and animation of any animated film past and present.

Do not miss this wonderfully hand drawn film. Also don't fail to appreciate the title sequence with the most elaborate example of Max Fleischer's remarkable 3-D sterioptical process which took four months to construct and employed 16,000 tiny panes of glass in the "electrified" buildings of Manhattan.

Do not miss Mr. Bug Goes To Town...aka Hoppity Goes To Town. I'll wager you'll be bug eyed at the results!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Or: Hoppity Goes To Town (1941)
Lee Johnson11 January 2007
I first watched this in black and white, circa Christmas in the early Sixties, when it was shown on British television. I was absolutely hooked, and watched it over again whenever it was repeated on TV (possibly two or three times only, as it happens - if only we'd had video recorders then!).

As outlined by other contributors, the plot describes the return of Hoppity the Grasshopper, after a period spent away, to a Forties American city. He finds that all is not as he left it, and his good insect friends (who live in the 'lowlands' just outside the garden which belongs to a songwriter and his wife) are now under threat from the 'human ones', who are trampling through the broken down fence which prefaces the property, using it as a shortcut.

Insect houses are being flattened by their feet, and are also often burned by cast away cigar butts and matches. Old Mr Bumble and his beautiful daughter Honey (Hoppity's childhood sweetheart) are in grave danger of losing their Honey Shop to this threat.

To compound their problems, devious insect 'property magnate' C. Bagley Beetle has romantic designs on Honey Bee himself, and hopes, with the help of his henchmen Swat the Fly and Smack the Mosquito, to force Bumble to give him her hand in marriage.

Will the heroic and fearless Hoppity win the day, and manage to save the community of bugs from their dastardly fate, and especially his precious Honey from hers? Enjoy the classic songs ("Katy Did, Katy Didn't" is a superb, swinging, upbeat example), and the colourful visuals, as the tale unfolds.

Time has not blunted my fascination for this masterpiece of animation and story-telling, and I was much pleased to find that it had been released to video, although I later found out that it was in NTSC PAL format. Never mind, I sent off for the video immediately, and only then bought a portable TV/video combination (complete with NTSC playback).

I have enjoyed many nostalgic viewings since then, and have even discovered that the TV rights have switched from BBC (who informed me they were unlikely to ever show the film on any of their stations) to FilmFour, who have (at last!) been showing it on their digital stations in early 2007.

My granddaughter (aged three) was absolutely entranced while we watched it together - and this is a child who has been influenced by the digital age and the resulting computer-generated productions!

I would thoroughly recommend this film for any age, and especially the youngest of viewers.

Give Max Fleischer a posthumous Oscar!
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mr. Bug and Fleischer
tostinati25 June 2006
Leslie Carbaga's excellent book on the Fleishers tells the whole story of the Fleischer's big move of their entire animation unit to Florida, and their subsequent ejection by Paramount.

Mr. Bug Goes to Town didn't destroy the animation pioneers' credit with Paramount, although it's often told that way, and this was Paramount's favorite version of the story. According to Carbaga, the big studio, more than anything, wanted to get their mitts on the animation studio and ease the famously bickering brothers out of the picture altogether. Mr. Bug provided them the pretext to do just that. --The sad closing of a great quirky, innovative chapter in American animation.

I wanted to comment, also, that the film actually debuted December 4, 1941, not December 7. That may have been close enough to do the trick, anyway, in terms of national mood damaging the film's success. But another part of the legend of this troubled little film is that it was killed by having the bad luck to be in the theaters at the same time Dumbo (released October 23, 1941) was still doing very brisk holiday business. I haven't done the research into box office numbers, but I'd say that Dumbo's concurrent presence in theaters likely had an impact on Mr. Bug. Movie-going was at an all time high at this period, and successful films could go strong in theaters for months. -- Something unimaginable in these typically short-run, quick to-DVD days.
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warm memories of a great little movie
catjoescreed1 April 2006
This film used to play occasionally on daytime TV when I was a child. I must have seen it at least three times. Made by the same team (Gordon and Fleischer) that brought us "Gulliver's Travels", it's a charming little movie with a plot very similar to the later Pixar film "A Bug's Life." I remember first learning the name Hoagy Carmichael when I read the credits as an eight-year-old (my mother was astonished to know that I had heard of him.) If "Hoppitty" were ever released on DVD I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't know anyone else who has ever seen it, though, which necessarily limits the amount of outcry over this deep injustice to a great little movie.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If this film were by Disney it would be a classic
sbibb14 February 2006
Mr. Bug Goes to Town was one of those films that I grew up hearing about, however a copy could never be obtained until now. I just watched this film on DVD and thought it was a delightful and charming film, with wonderful animation, a good plot and great songs. If this film was made by Disney then the film would be considered a classic, however because it was made by a little known film studio that is long gone, the film has slipped through the cracks.

The film was made by the Max Fleischer studios at their Miami, FL studios and was released through Paramount Pictures. The film was to have had its premiere on Dec. 7th, 1941, the date of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Though this probably did hurt the release of the film, the film did play at some movie theaters for up to a year as evidenced by doing some research. The film was called a family favorite by most of the major American newspapers. The film continued to be re-released about every year or so, usually around holidays like Easter, at least in major cities.

In the mid 1950s, this film was re-released under a new name "Hoppity Goes to Town," named after the lead character in the film.

The film is a true period piece, capturing a slice of Americana as it was back in the late 30s and 1940's. The animation is great, and many of the characters are very cute. The animation of the humans in the film is via the rotoscope process, meaning that actors were filmed and then that footage was traced over by animators, giving the movement a very real look.

The Fleishcher studios were one of several animation studios making animated cartoons back in the 30s and 40s. While some of the Fleischer characters like Betty Boop, Popeye and the Superman cartoons are better known, the work of the studio is more or less forgotten.

Almost as a whole the body of work of the Fleischer studios are in the public domain. All of the Superman cartoons are public domain, all but one of the "Color Classics" series are public domain, and the film "Gulliver's Travels" is also in the public domain. This film never appears to have been released in the US on VHS or DVD but was released in Europe. However some looking around on the internet can very quickly produce you with a copy. I recommend the search.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fabulous Family Fun
tpm455 September 2004
This is a wonderful family film,with a great storyline which in 2004 is very true to the mark,Iwont reveal it and spoil your fun. All the little bugs have great hearts and a story to tell.The humour is spot on with some catchy tunes. I wish it was on sale ala DVD. a lot better than some Disney films. The photgraphy is very good,you are drawn quite cleverly into the film,which has good colour,with well drawn characters. The movement of each little bug is well defined and their are lots of them,but each is easy to remember,and easy to like. Without giving to much away the story evolves around a species in danger,a love story,and the relationship between insects and humans,I loved it years ago and its even better now. your kids will adore it.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forgotten Pioneer
kriegers190024 July 2004
Although never received well critically, this is a truly beautifully animated movie. This film, made at the outbreak of WW2 was one of the first 5 full length animated films ever made, and displays superb animation. Excellent too is the way human castoffs are used by the insects. Unfortunately the character of the principal villain is weak and two dimensional, and the story suffers as a result. The songs, however, are among the best I can recall in any animated film, and "Castle in the air" has to be one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately Max Fleisher was not as independent as Walt Disney, and as a result was never given an opportunity by Paramount to make another animated feature. However, the two that Fleisher was able to release will continue entertaining us for generations to come.
21 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
zippy little cartoon
didi-55 June 2004
From the creators of the charming ‘Gulliver's Travels', made just a few years before, this cartoon tale of a travelling grasshopper and a colony of insects who need to find somewhere to live is clearly based on the Capra movie ‘Mr Deeds Goes To Town'. Hoppity the grasshopper is in love with Miss Honey Bee, while the big bad Beetle is hoping to snatch her hand in marriage. There are a couple of comedy villains to brighten the piece, naturally.

The animation is fairly even throughout, while the backgrounds lack definition and aren't particular interesting; however, the plot is a strong one and there is an excellent musical score of Hoagy Carmichael songs (there's a great nightclub act, as well as the ensemble singing of the insects as they move between homes). There is even a clever and very funny bit concerning Hoppity and electricity. This cartoon has a lot to recommend it; while it does not have the bright colour and energy of the Disney products, it represents an interesting time in cinema and animation, and is still interesting to look at today.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Highly recommended for children and adults alike!
rdsptgtumpy4 June 2004
I was born the year this movies was made. Watched it first on T.V. in the early 50's when there were only three channels, and only black and white. As an adult I remembered the movie and the music. Not being able to remember the title, I had to search through many catalogs before finding the film. I have shown it at home to my children, and now my many grand-children. I never get tired of watching it, and the children love it. No matter how many time they watch it, they still laugh loudly, and listen intently during the music. The story line is great, the animation is unbelievable compared to todays computer animation, the color us bright and crisp, and the music is fantastic. If I could have only one movie, this would be it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
clever,well done nostalgic movie.
blairw12 April 2003
I have for years remembered a song "JUST A COUPLE IN A CASTLE" ("No. twenty moonbeam square, just a couple in castle in the air"). I couldn't find the song, but I remembered that it it had to do with cartoon bugs. I located a reference to the movie on the web. I had seen the movie when I was only 9 year old at the Ligonier PA theatre. I was pleased to find that it had Kenny Gardner the singer with Guy Lombaro (I am a Lombardo fan). And then to see that it was produced by the Fleisher Bros. who did another very good full lengh cartoon feature of "Gullivar's Travels" (also remembered fondly). Also the songs were associated with Hoagy Carmichael and Frank Loesser who are among the very best. No wonder I remembered the film, the song, and the colorful animation. As a full lengh musical this is a movie which should be remembered as a one of the best of the early full lengh musicals. Now that I remember it, the plot may not have been earth shaking, but was very well presented and makes for a easy to watch abd delightful movie.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I will never forget Mr. Bug goes To Town !!
florriebbc8 July 2002
Hello again, I have been thinking about this movie all my life. I saw it when I was 5 years old in Los Angeles, California in 1942. What a wonderful story of being good to one another, kindness, and charity. You forget it is the bugs relating to one another. It was just as if they were people. I love this movie and so do my adult children. Such beautiful color in this movie.I need to see this movie again. There is a story about an envelope in the movie, that I just can't remember the "why" of it.

Thanks for listening.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'll never step on another bug as long as I live!
DaFraggle5 July 2002
well, i may be bias as i grew up watching a VHS copy of this film that is now ready to snap and have just spent the last couple of hours tracking down a DVD copy as a birthday pressie for my Dad. The film is so harmless and inoffensive it suits all ages.... much better than anything Disney ever made in my opinion (and i used to work in the Disney Store!!!). The characters are enjoyable and the award for best scene is a tie between the disrupted wedding (especially the musical talents of Swat, the fly. and Smack the mosquito), and the amazing night club scene. The musical numbers still have me humming 20 years after i first watched it. there is no other film that i can better recommend whilst baby-sitting, and in fact every child i know (thanks to my Hoppity loving parents) have seen this film, many times. It will always get top marks for its fabulous love story, a brilliant baddy and over all originality.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Cartoon
eshejh26 July 2001
I have viewed this cartoon as a child, a father, and now a grand-father. It is my favorite cartoon. I love the characters, the great little tunes, and the very good drawings. I totally love the main song which comes up throughout the cartoon. I think it is a beautiful little cartoon. Everyone I have shown it to simply loves it. It is too bad it opened on such a bad day (Pearl Harbor bombing). If it wasn't for the bad timing it would have been a great success. I hope I can find a DVD of it because all the VHS tapes don't do it justice.

I think if anyone shows it to their child they will come up with the same result. They will just love it.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this