IMDb > The Blood of Jesus (1941) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Blood of Jesus

The Blood of Jesus More at IMDbPro »

A newly baptized young black woman in the rural American South is accidentally shot by her husband and undergoes a challenging journey to salvation.

Author: CJEamadeus from United States
28 January 2007

BLOOD OF Jesus must be judged within its own very special context, and not by current commercial cinematic standards. In its own context, BLOOD OF Jesus is not only an important cultural document but a compelling and great film. Yes, its production values seem crude and its performances rudimentary, though wholly sincere; it must be remembered that the budget was of necessity very low and that the actors had little experience or access to theatrical training).

But the artistry of the director, Spencer Williams, shouldn't be underestimated: his sophisticated layering of symbols and imagery (from Protestant, Catholic, and Yoruba religious tradition) and his priceless snapshot of African-American life and culture at a crucial juncture is not just eye-opening but enjoyable. And the music is authentic and first-rate.

Good for what little they had to work with

Author: gran-5 (gran@compu.net) from United States
3 April 2002

I enjoyed this movie much more than I thought I would. It seems that the

cast had little to work with (sets, costumes, etc.) but they did a

pretty decent job. Once I started it I could not keep my eyes off of it. I saw lots of good camera work that I would not have expected from a low budget movie. The message today might seem kind of hokey to "modern" minds, but for its day and time it was pretty much right on target.

The Blood of Jesus was a pretty good drama from writer/director/actor Spencer Williams

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
16 July 2008

Before I comment on the movie, I'd like to mention two cast members from my current home state of Louisiana: Reather Hardman-Sister Ellerby-was from the St. Landry Parish and writer/director/actor Spencer Williams-Razz Jackson here and later known as Andy Brown on the TV version of "Amos 'n' Andy"-was from Vidalia. In this film, Razz's just married wife, Sister Martha Ann Jackson (Cathryn Caviness), has just been baptized. When she comes home, she tells her husband how she wishes he was just as religious as she just before she looks lovingly at a wall picture of Jesus Christ. At that point, Razz puts his rifle down which shoots into Martha Ann's body and fatally puts her to sleep. An angel takes her to show the way to heaven but Martha Ann gets tempted by a devil's associate named Judas as he takes her to the city and they watch nightclub acts like a female contortionist and a girl singer. Judas then introduces her to someone who offers her a job. I'm guessing it involves dancing with strange men and picking their pockets since that's what one of these women does. As Martha Ann escapes, many of these men chases her mistaking her for the one who did the deed who's last seen sharing the riches with the boss that previously offered Martha Ann's job. As she comes to the fork in the road with opposite signs for Hell and Zion, Martha Ann gets pulled by the devil before the Lord says, "Get thee behind me, Satan!" As blood drips on her face, Martha Ann wakes up back in her bed calling to Razz who gets out of his depression and gets the congregation back in the room and singing again before the cut back to the cross that began the movie as we fade out...For a man best known for playing the naive-but-not-completely Andy Brown, Spencer Williams shows his range here from neglectful to saddened to joyful during the whole hour. But it's Ms. Caviness who's the real find as her reactions from concerned after her husband doesn't share her joy in her conversion to blissful during the nightclub acts to hysterical after thinking she's trapped concerning escaping from the nightclub job offer shows her range and the camera captures her in all her natural splendor. It's too bad this turned out to be her only film. While low budget, Williams got good performances out of his cast and provides some interesting edits and camera tricks occasionally. I especially liked the devil's laugh since the actor who played him-Jas. B. Jones-seems to really enjoy his part. So on that note, I highly recommend The Blood of Jesus.

A unique and fabulous film

Author: chezztone from United States
3 February 2007

Fabulous, in more than one sense of that word. A unique and wonderful film. Angels and other visions float in and out of a surreal Southern landscape. The acting is perfectly suited to what is clearly a director's film. The music includes lots of downhome spirituals, and some blues and jazz. The vaudeville scene, with that contortionist woman, is something else. The swing dancing in the jook joint also is terrific. The story is felt more than told. High artistry -- I might have to see it a few more times to really understand it. It also is marvelous to consider what Williams must have gone through to finance and make and promote and distribute this film. True art has a way of getting made and getting out there, somehow.

Curiosity piece

Author: KennyF from New York, NY
23 February 1999

This film is of some historical interest in that it represents black independent filmmaking of the 30s and 40s, intended primarily for black audiences. It also gives those who remember the "Amos and Andy" TV show a chance to see the earlier, serious work of Spencer Williams who portrayed Andy on the show and who wrote, directed, and starred in this film, as he did several others. Unfortunately, the acting and technical aspects of this film are so primitive that it is almost unfair to criticize it. It is an earnest and well meant effort, but worth watching only for a few nice religious images and the fine gospel singing on the soundtrack.

Rare and vintage music alone makes this film top notch!

Author: avocadess from United States
10 September 2013

Of course this is very different than watching big budget films of the past 50-plus years. This was an all-black production which, as of this year, was released 72 years ago. (From what I know of film editing, it could well have been filmed 75 years ago.) A great piece of history with great music and very sweet story.

The story begins pretty much at the point where an attractive young woman is going down to the river along with a congregation of Christians to be baptized. We learn a little bit about her from a couple members of the congregation gossiping with one another, talking about how her husband of 3 years (or 3 months -- can't remember) went hunting rather than coming to attend her baptism.

We soon learn too, after the newly baptized woman returns home, that her husband is also a poacher (if that is the right word). The woman makes an appeal to her husband to "get religion," explaining that it will make them much happier.

Then it starts getting interesting...

Two thumbs up!!! One more note about the music and singing: Fantastic! Reminds me of the kind of 78 rpm records many collectors love to listen to, needle scratches and all. You just can't get this kind of music today (generally). This is a film I am bound to want to watch again and again just to hear the music and singing. I also believe and know from my own experience that the Blood of Jesus is indeed a powerful ally in this world currently still under the administration of the Adversary -- so I love the message too, even if it does serve a lot of "corn" with some serious gospel.

Neither Heaven Nor Zion but Home

Author: Edgar Soberón Torchia (estorchia@gmail.com) from Panama
30 April 2012

The jury that selects each year the National Film Registry is unpredictable: films as "The Blood of Jesus" merit to be rescued, for its anthropological value and for being a forerunner in the evolution of African-American cinema and filmmakers, but I have seen quite a few whose inclusion could only be justified by provincialism, as "Road to Morocco", "Lassie Come Home" and "Knute Rockne All American". In the religion fable "The Blood of Jesus", inspired by a poem by Langston Hughes and set within a black community in the South, a Baptist sister dies when she is accidentally shot by the shotgun of her atheist husband. She is then guided by an angel and tempted by the Devil in her post-mortem trip to Heaven, and goes off course into a couple of bars in the city, where she gets into trouble. It is true that the actors are amateurs, that the extras look directly to camera, and the dramaturgy is elementary. It is also true that the special effects and decors are poor, but it is clear that the film was chosen because it captured on film a few traits and manifestations of Americans of African descent, in which there is a way to do and say that is both spontaneous and naive, beyond the interference of camera, lights and technicians. The baptism in the river, the dance in the city bar, the gospel hymns sung by the choir in the dying woman's room, the costumes of the angel and the Devil (out of a costume party for children), and the Devil himself playing the piano with a band, compensate and amuse (sometimes unintentionally) for a pious tale, full of praises to the "All Mighty Lord", with an African-American sister that has to choose between the road to Heaven and the road to Zion (!), and even including the literal blood of Jesus to set her free.

The power of prayer

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
24 February 2011

***SPOILERS*** The film "Blood of Jesus" also known as "The Glory Road" was the first film directed by black filmmaker pioneer Spencer Williams who both wrote the screenplay and starred in it as the non church going and scheming Razz Jackson.

It's Razz's wife Martha, Cathryan Caviness, who's the religious one in the family who after bing baptized in a in an outdoor Baptist Church ceremony together with a number of other church going members is later accidentally shot by Razz when his shotgun went off accidentally. Razz instead of attending the church ceremony was out pouching his neighbors hogs! With Martha on her death bed with no chance to recover from her injuries a very guilt ridden Razz goes on his knees praying for help from the All Mighty to bring his dying wife back to him! While all this is going on Martha with the assistance of her guardian angle, Rogenia Goldthwaite, leaves her body where she's to then prove if she's in fact worthy to go to Zion-heaven-or hell by her fighting off the evil thoughts put into her head by Satan, James B. James, and his top henchman Judus Green, Frank H. McClennan.

At first going along with the handsome and slick talking Judus Green Martha soon finds herself in this dive of a nightclub where she's to preform, as a B-girl, things that in the end will damn her soul to everlasting suffering. Not going along with the nightclub's, called the 400 Club, sleazy owner Rufas Brown, Eddie Debase, Martha makes a run for it with a number of nightclub customers chasing her in thinking that she pickpocket their wallets!

Getting to the crossroads between Zion and Hell Martha is saved by a choir of Gospel singers, on a flatbed truck, and Jesus himself who's blood, from his being nailed on the cross, washes away all her sins and has her perusers turn and run by telling them his famous Biblical quote: "He who's without sin let him throw the first stone".

***SPOILERS*** Then as if it were a miracle Martha is back in her body and completely cured of her gunshot wounds with a shock and happy Razz, who's been praying all this time,joining her back at the local Baptist Church singing Gospel tunes and departing from his Godless life. A life that had caused nothing but hurt and suffering to not only himself but to those he loved like his angelic and church going wife Martha!

Historic at least

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
26 February 2008

Blood of Jesus, The (1941)

* (out of 4)

Spencer Williams, future star of TV's Amos and Andy, wrote, produced, directed and stars in this historically important, all-black feature film. This low budget feature suffers from various problems but, due to the historical importance, it was selected to the National Film Registry in 1991. A young woman (Cathryn Caviness) is baptized and later that evening accidentally shot by her husband (Williams). Before dying, an angel takes the woman to the Crossroads where she can select Heaven or Hell. However, before she can choose the Devil shows up with his assistant (named Judas) to try and steer her the wrong way. This film was made on a budget lower than $5,000 and you can really tell because the film features some of the worst acting I've ever seen. We're talking an Ed Wood level here as there are several moments where the actors flub their lines, struggle to remember them and then finally deliver them. The film tells an interesting story but the actual "story" only lasts for about ten minutes and the rest of the time we just watch people standing around the woman praying. The religious overtones will beat you nearly to death but the Gospel music is terrific and is the only highlight of the film.

Bad but fascinating...and actually worth a look

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
2 April 2011

Considering that this film was apparently made for only $5000, it's an amazingly good film. Now it STILL is bad, but it is worth a look! Spencer Williams is a man mostly forgotten today. While he's most famous, for those who want to remember this, for playing Andy on the "Amos 'n Andy" TV show, he was an accomplished man. He'd played in many black productions before this and with "The Blood of Jesus", he wrote, directed and played the male lead! Now' I will admit the writing wasn't great, but his direction (considering the budget) was excellent, as he and the cinematographer used some wonderful camera tricks to make the film look good for a super-cheapo production.

The film is the story about a Christian woman who is accidentally shot by her husband. While she appears to be dead (and her friends are VERY quick to pronounce her that way), she actually is on a journey a lot like Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress". The Devil and his helper, Judas, try to convince the woman to stray from the path to Heaven through the evil and dreaded nightclub! Well, okay, I'll admit this is pretty lame--and so it most of the film. But, I still liked it for the double-exposures, view of the Pearly Gates and its value as a historical artifact. The history teacher in me liked this aspect, though I am sure most will find it all very ponderous and bad. Worth a look for a select audience, as black cinema from this era has been mostly forgotten.

The bottom line is that it would be very easy to pick out what's bad about the film, though I challenge the viewer to put this in its historical context and recognize that for what it is, it has some value...some.