IMDb > Affectionately Yours (1941) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Affectionately Yours

Affectionately Yours More at IMDbPro »

See this one for the actors

Author: jann-6
13 January 2001

For me the brightest spots of this movie are Rita Hayworth and Dennis Morgan. The love triangle, which also includes Merle Oberon, is complicated by interference from Ralph Bellamy and others (at times it's difficult to be sure whose side Rita is on.) Standing by are Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen, who are rooting for Morgan all the way. The backdrop of the newspaper business - as well as the presence of Ralph Bellamy - reminds one slightly of "His Girl Friday." Not a terrifically funny comedy, but worthwhile, especially for fans of any of the cast members.

Two gorgeous ladies compete for one philanderer

Author: blanche-2 from United States
26 June 2007

Dennis Morgan, Merle Oberon, Rita Hayworth, and Ralph Bellamy are "Affectionately Yours" in this 1941 comedy. Morgan is a newspaper reporter who travels constantly. His current amour is Malcolm (Hayworth), and he gives her the same story he's given all of them - his wife (Oberon) won't divorce him. However, he receives a telegram stating that she has, and he panics. He rushes home to New York, with Malcolm right behind him, and tries to woo her back. She's planning to marry Mr. Wright (Bellamy), who is more than disturbed by the fact that she still seems interested in her husband.

This is a fairly trite comedy with some very funny slapstick and, of course, two of the screen's most beautiful women, Oberon and Hayworth. This film was made just before Hayworth broke through into big stardom, and she's delicious. She has the best role in the film. It always amuses me to see her so vivacious and talkative on screen. According to one of her biographers, when the kids from the old neighborhood saw her on screen for the first time, they were shocked at how much she was talking. She never talked as a young girl. Though she didn't really like movie stardom, the screen was where she could let herself go and be someone else. Morgan is attractive and just right as the errant husband. Bellamy is in his usual role as the man who doesn't get the girl, and he does beleaguered very well. Oberon lends sophistication and class to the film. Someone commented here that she looked plump. I don't know what they're talking about.

This is a good movie to see for the stars. The story isn't much.

It's cute but a dated and dopey film

Author: Robert Gold (mgmstar128@gmail.com) from United States
3 April 2009

As a fan of Rita Hayworth, this is the only reason I wanted to watch this movie. She is in fine form, as are the all the actors. It's just such an insipid story that it bored me. I could not wait for it to be over.

I didn't like Rickey (Morgan) since he is such a womanizer. I wondered why would Rita want him after discovering what a player he is. I also wondered why Sue (Oberon) would want him again. I guess it's me: I just don't see why those two smart women would each want a man like that.

It's always fun to watch Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen, but they too often played the same roles over and over and over.

Anyway, view for it Rita, but don't expect a great movie. Check your brain at the door.

A Film that makes you laugh!

Author: steveareno from Templeton, CA
2 May 2000

I absolutely loved this story!Rita Hayworth,Merle Oberon and Dennis Morgan are energetic and entertaining throughout this whole film.Ralph Bellamy doesn't get the girl,but he's great anyway.Merle Oberon once commented that she thought this movie "was a real dud..I hate it!"She conceded that her children did like it.I thought it was wonderful and I love when Dennis ties Merle's foot to something on the pier and after struggling to get away...can't budge!She falls over into the water and catches a cold...which leads to Morgan and Bellamy arguing over who gets Merle.You'll have to watch this film to find out what happens!

Plot outline of screwball comedy

Author: jknoppow from Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
21 February 2002

Richard Mayberry is a world traveling newspaper reporter, who plays around with lots of women, excepting his own wife, who has to stay at home. He's in Lisbon, trying to mess around with lady reporter Irene Malcolm, and she's all for it: but she's like him to leave his wife first.

Meanwhile, his wife Sue has meet "Mr. Wright," literally, and she's about to divorce her husband. Lot of fluffy misunderstandings, misappointments and misdeals follow, as Richard tries to either make his wife jealous with Irene, or tries to foist Irene off on Owen Wright.

You have to watch it to find out what happens, but there is certainly a fair amount of screwball comedy along the way to finding out!

two women smitten with a chronic liar

Author: gaynor.wild from nashville, tn
29 August 2009

In this 1941 comedy, we are presented with two intelligent, beautiful women who are seriously smitten with a man who can hardly open his mouth without lying. The story ends with a major lie, and she accepts him. Either women in '41 were much more stupid or forgiving than today, or somehow people then thought that lying was cute and funny. The movie is terrible, and any women who are attracted to this man should be sentenced to marrying a serial liar.

Dennis Morgan was a familiar figure in the '40's, and was used to comedies. But Morgan's role in this movie is a little out of character, in his being a serial philanderer and a chronic liar. It's not difficult to see his appeal on short notice, but any woman who got to know him should have been repulsed.

Ralph Bellamy plays the boyfriend...guess what's going to happen to him!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
23 June 2010

In the late 1930s and into the 1940s, Ralph Bellamy had a peculiar niche in films. He was cast as the boyfriend who will lose the leading lady by the end of the film in approximately 48230 films (give or take). Again and again, you KNOW by the end of the movie he'll be left alone, so when I saw him dating Dennis Morgan's ex-wife (Merle Oberon) in this movie, I knew he'd be a miserable loser eventually!

The film begins with Morgan learning that his wife's divorce is final and he connives to get her back--though she's now with Bellamy(!) of all people! So, he's off to get her...and pretty Rita Hayworth is following, as she wants him and is thrilled that he's now divorced. While all of this is reasonably enjoyable, I couldn't help thinking that I've seen similar films many times--and often the other films were a bit better. After all, while Moran and Oberon were fine, the likes of Cary Grant, Irene Dunne or Rosalind Russell simply were better. My advice is see "The Awful Truth", "His Girl Friday"

or "My Favorite Wife" instead. The plots are rather similar (and some even feature Bellamy as the sap) and are just better--better written, acted and directed.

The verdict--a good film but nothing especially new.

Quite a disappointment considering the cast.

Author: bill-790 from California
24 June 2010

Another reviewer used the word "trite" to characterize the plot of this film. Amen to that! As for the film as a whole? How about lame? Really lame!

Since this was a 1940s Warner Brothers production featuring several of that studio's stalwart players, I had high hopes when I saw it for the first, and almost certainly ONLY, time. But, really, this is a silly story that is hardly ever funny and simply makes everyone involved look foolish. (Butterfly McQueen absolutely sobs her way through this movie. Makes you wish someone had taken her apron and gagged her with it!)

I love the WB product of the 1940s, but this is really a let down. Don't expect anything like "Christmas in Connecticut"!

It's the other woman here

Author: howardeisman from United States
26 September 2009

This is a late and modest entry into the screwball comedy genre. As such, all the performers are frenetic, histrionic, and act in broad, bold strokes. Performers falling into water is a running joke. There is no dry humor in this film. Unfortunately, no good lines either; it has a script of shtick patched together from older and better comedies.

But the other woman here acts as an intelligent person and has a natural manner. Since it is Rita Hayworth herself, she is naturally beautiful. It suggests a script writers dilemma: other woman has to be less desirable than the female lead, but they have to be desirable enough for the male lead to be attracted by them. In this movie, Rita Hayworth is so much more appealing in every way than Merle Oberon that it renders the plot silly.

The racial stereotypes are prominent here, with Hattie MacDanial and Butter McQueen doing routines they could have done in their sleep. Had they had sharp,incisive funny lines, we might have had a guilty laugh or two from these offensive stereotypes. As they were simply stereotypes to laugh at, it is now only offensive.

Trite comedy wastes good cast...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
11 January 2011

There's a silly plot about a philanderer (DENNIS MORGAN) who wants to play the field while in Lisbon on a journalistic assignment and making a play for lovely RITA HAYWORTH. But as soon as he finds out his wife is divorcing him, he's back in the USA plotting a way to win back her affection to make her jealous.

Under Lloyd Bacon's direction, this is a formula screwball comedy that hasn't got enough wit to make it shine and relies heavily on the cast to give it some life. Morgan is only mildly amusing in his attempt to play a comic role with GEORGE TOBIAS getting some of the best lines. But Rita does well as a flirtatious lady who'd like to take him away from Merle and RALPH BELLAMY is good in another one of his thankless roles as the man who loses the girl.

Despite the cast, it's too trite to be really enjoyable and the gags just don't work. Even HATTIE McDANIEL and BUTTERFLY McQUEEN are ill used for whatever laughs the script can spare. The slapstick ending with Morgan pretending to be an accident case, just strains credibility until the finish.

Not worth your time.