A most frenetic, energetic and unusual cartoon!

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
13 August 2003

This is an extremely odd cartoon to describe. The premise is that a harmonica playing quartet essentially destroys a general store by virtue of rather energetic playing of their instruments. The sight of the poor shopkeeper as he watches his livelihood disintegrate (despite his best efforts at damage control) before his very eyes is both comic and a bit sad at the same time. The running gag features a rather wizened old bird in Confederate gray popping up and trying to choose the next song on the program by force of his own fife-playing. He's clearly single-minded and carries a grudge a long time (no doubt against Yankees). Hilarious, particularly the running gag. Well worth tracking down. Recommended.

The Best in Cartoon with Harmonica

Author: Art M. Daane (a.daane@chello.nl) from Netherlands
12 January 2003

Back ground music by Borrah Minevitch and his Harmonica Rascals.

The animals portraying the Harmonica Rascals are fantastic.

Borrah is at his best and so is Johnny Puleo.

I have it on video, a little grainy but love to watch it and enjoy it every

time I do.

Art M. Daane

Tom Turkey and His Harmonica Humdingers was a very entertaining Hugh Harmon cartoon for M-G-M

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
28 November 2009

Just watched this M-G-M Hugh Harmon cartoon on Uncle John's Crazy Town site. In this one, the title character sings and plays the harmonica with some friends at the local general store. In between are some gags about the store getting some "shaking up" (if you know what I mean) as the quartet play their numbers. That sequence with the store shelf falling down was quite exciting. I also loved seeing Tom-voiced by Mel Blanc-rolling some words when introducing another number. And the harmonica playing provided by Borrah Minevitch and His Harmonica Rascals is entertaining from beginning to end. I wasn't too crazy about the end sequence but despite that, I highly recommend Tom Turkey and His Harmonica Humdingers.

Another classic from Hugh Harman!!

Author: nnwahler from United States
21 October 2007

A terrific, living document of an American way of life that's all but faded: the all-harmonica band. A revival of this tradition is long-overdue......if barbershop quartets can be successfully revived, why not this??? (For that matter, why not the all-accordion band as well? The daughters of some friends of my parents'--back in Colorado--were members of such an organization, doing amazing arrangements of orchestral classical favorites.) Oh yes--superlative animation & characterization as well. I especially like when that do-nothing cop gets it in the end. A nice throwback, too, to the golden age of radio....LOVE the title character's pseudo-announcements.

Very good example of its ilk, tossed in as an extra on my Myrna Loy and William Powell DVD!

Author: talisencrw from Windsor, Ontario, Canada
17 August 2016

This was a great cartoon extra on my 'I Love You Again' DVD that was Disc 4 of my 5-film 'TCM Spotlight: Myrna Loy and William Powell Collection'. In it, four harmonica-playing birds play so intensely that they end up destroying a general store, despite the owner trying his best at damage control. A Yankee-hating rebel from the South, still carrying a grudge, keeps trying with his flute to play 'Dixie' but is subsequently either ignored or suppressed by the rest of the troupe. One of the best of this sort of thing (and I love this era of classic animation), not concentrating on a proved character, that I have seen in a long while.